Information for newcomers / How to contribute with art / FAQ

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there a section on the site explaining how to do different things in posts? (Bold, spoilers, colors, etc. Don't even know the correct term for all that.) I have an idea for what I could do, but want to make sure I can format in a way that replies don't interrupt the story and I can put multiple works on the same thread.
Not that I recall, but the Preview button is your friend! If you can't see it, press "More Options" in the lower right corner, and you'll be taken to a page where all your options are more accessible. One function that isn't explicitly featured is the Hide command, allowing you to put away large images or text blocks in a pocket of its own. Just type:
HTML:
[HIDE=Content] content [/HIDE]
and it'll appear like this:

content

Also, is there a limit on characters per post?
Not that I recall, but for the sake of convenience, see if you can slit up your creations in several posts if appropriate.

Jackii

pyukumukumukuyp
is a Top Artist Alumnus
This may be a really silly question but how do you get this
in a post or something ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ Thanks

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This may be a really silly question but how do you get this
HTML:
[HIDE=Just like]that[/HIDE]
that

If you're curious about how something's set up, you can try replying to that quote, and then check the wrench icon in the upper right corner, allowing you to see how everything's written.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
By original artwork does it mean that you can't look up a image like online then you just draw it all by yourself?
'Original' as in creating it yourself, so tracing and such is allowed when you make an art thread in the studio, do remember to link to the artwork or image you used as reference. If one wants to contribute art to Smogon, that art must be completely original, and not edited or copied from existing images.

This says written works. Do you guys have poetry contests? If not, could I post some of my poetry on here?

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This says written works. Do you guys have poetry contests? If not, could I post some of my poetry on here?
It's definitely allowed! :) Just follow the same rules that apply to all general art threads--three original works needed to start a thread!

Quick question; is normal pixel art allowed here? I haven't done any actual sprinting but I have some pixels I'd like to share... Not sure if they're allowed here or not.

Sure! Just make sure to post it in the Smeargle's Laptop subforum :)

Also, checked out your dA, awesome work!
So should I make a thread for those on that subforum and then one here for other art?

And thanks! Thought I might as well do some art stuff around here since DA is where I post everything, and there are probably more Pokemon fans on here X3

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So should I make a thread for those on that subforum and then one here for other art?

And thanks! Thought I might as well do some art stuff around here since DA is where I post everything, and there are probably more Pokemon fans on here X3
I'm relatively sure there are threads in the main forum that combine sprite art and other art, so I'm leaning towards a no. Not sure though, so pinging Bummer for a final decision

And that would be awesome! Posting old stuff from your dA wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
I wrote a small paragraph about this on our studio rules page (need to link these on the forums):

Smeargle's Studio is for original art.
To continue on the above rule, only artwork you've drawn, photographed, or otherwise made yourself from scratch are allowed. This includes digital art, traditional drawings, paintings, sculpting, written works, music, among others. This means that non-scratched sprites, as well as photo-collaged artwork, avatars, or banners aren't allowed in Smeargle's Studio, so please use the Smeargle's Laptop subforum for these. Do note that it's okay to share such visual works in your already established art thread, but, if the majority of your work is of that variety, then odds are that you're better off making a separate thread for it in Smeargle's Laptop.
Your sprites seems to be original work, so those alone deserves a thread in the studio, but naturally, you can share any of your other art as well in here.

I wrote a small paragraph about this on our studio rules page (need to link these on the forums):

Your sprites seems to be original work, so those alone deserves a thread in the studio, but naturally, you can share any of your other art as well in here.
Alright, cool! That's what I thought but I didn't want to immediately get in trouble, so I thought I'd check first.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
Does art here have to be pictures or drawings? If I want to make a thread about my piano performance and arrangements, can I do it?
Taken from the second rule:

"To continue on the above rule, only artwork you've drawn, photographed, or otherwise made yourself from scratch are allowed. This includes digital art, traditional drawings, paintings, sculpting, written works, music, among others."

So go right ahead.

Reactions: nv
I read through the rules again and I feel like a remember seeing this somewhere, but I couldn't find it; are we allowed to make separate art threads or is there a maximum of one? I'm starting a Pokemon comic and I would like to post it here, but I think it would be more organized if it had its own thread.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
I read through the rules again and I feel like a remember seeing this somewhere, but I couldn't find it; are we allowed to make separate art threads or is there a maximum of one? I'm starting a Pokemon comic and I would like to post it here, but I think it would be more organized if it had its own thread.
Only one active thread in the same forum per artist. If you want to give your comic more exposure, you could either edit the first post in your current thread, or ask for your current thread to be locked and make a new one with a heavier focus on your comic. But having a separate thread for a webcomic when the artist already has another thread active falls under advertisment in my eyes and thus not something I'd greenlight.

Only one active thread in the same forum per artist. If you want to give your comic more exposure, you could either edit the first post in your current thread, or ask for your current thread to be locked and make a new one with a heavier focus on your comic. But having a separate thread for a webcomic when the artist already has another thread active falls under advertisment in my eyes and thus not something I'd greenlight.
Alright, cool. I'll figure out a way to make it work then~

Hi for anyone who uses Medibang Paint Pro, is there a Line / Curve tool like people sometimes mention about other programs? Because a line/curve tool would definitely help make my lines cleaner, but I'm not sure if there is one.

Are there any specific guidelines for posting in this forum? I see a lot of people with threads where a user puts all of their art, is there some kind of rule about this? I just want to post a cute eevee I drew.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
Are there any specific guidelines for posting in this forum? I see a lot of people with threads where a user puts all of their art, is there some kind of rule about this? I just want to post a cute eevee I drew.
If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll notice that the first link goes to our rules page for this forum. Anyone can open up their own art thread, but we require the artist to post three separate images in order to start one. If that eevee drawing is all you have, then you need to make two more in order to qualify. If people made threads for each picture they drew just to get quick feedback, we'd get pretty cluttered. We also have a chatroom on Pokemon showdown if you'd like some live feedback.

Hi for anyone who uses Medibang Paint Pro, is there a Line / Curve tool like people sometimes mention about other programs? Because a line/curve tool would definitely help make my lines cleaner, but I'm not sure if there is one.
Hiya :) just wondering what you guys think is the best way to get this image:

to a size more appropriate for a Smogon signature :)
This thread isn't really intended for art critique and input, sorry about that, but I can make a new thread where this is the intended purpose (or bump one, I could've sworn we had a thread aimed towards feedback).

Hiya :) just wondering what you guys think is the best way to get this image:

to a size more appropriate for a Smogon signature :)
What size do you need it? I'm not familiar with the signature sizes that work on this site. If you have photoshop or another photo editor you can just scale it down, maybe crop the top and bottom a tiny bit
If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll notice that the first link goes to our rules page for this forum. Anyone can open up their own art thread, but we require the artist to post three separate images in order to start one. If that eevee drawing is all you have, then you need to make two more in order to qualify. If people made threads for each picture they drew just to get quick feedback, we'd get pretty cluttered. We also have a chatroom on Pokemon showdown if you'd like some live feedback.

This thread isn't really intended for art critique and input, sorry about that, but I can make a new thread where this is the intended purpose (or bump one, I could've sworn we had a thread aimed towards feedback).
No problem, just more motivation for me to practice drawing! I'll probably make myself a thread once I have some more content. Thanks!

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
What Android app should I use for creating art? I already have Pixly for creating/recoloring sprites, but I want to try other types of art as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)