Pokémon Infernape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not close to slightly biased to Infernape man, I am EXTREMELY biased towards Infernape too ANYBODY who knows me can vouch for that he is my favorite Pokemon and I will never stop making AT LEAST one team with Infernape on it. That is WHY I care so much, I want Infernape to be as viable as can be, and let's face it any other set minus mixed and CB with sun is just flat out obsolete. I love Infernape but I also want to be competitive and frankly I don't give a shit about what Infernape set I use.

Last edited:
I'm not close to slightly biased to Infernape man, I am EXTREMELY biased towards Infernape too ANYBODY who knows me can vouch for that he is my favorite Pokemon and I will never stop making AT LEAST one team with Infernape on it. That is WHY I care so much, I want Infernape to be as viable as can be, and let's face it any other set minus mixed and CB with sun is just flat out obsolete. I love Infernape but I also want to be competitive and frankly I don't give a shit about what Infernape set I use.
Hmm... it seems we both have something in common: Infernape is by far our favorite pokemon. We both want Infernape to be relevant in the metagame, and for that, I'm actually quite sorry. Until you said that, I never realized that my contributions to the thread could actually make him(/her of course) less relevant to the meta. Now I'm kinda thinking, "how did I not realize that sooner?" Well. I guess the only thing to do is look on the bright side, call that area explored and found useless (what I mean is that now we know where not to go with Infernape), and move on to exploring other possibilities. Now... how does everyone feel about testing PuP CB Infernape? Just kidding. That would be stupid. ;)

in all my using of infernape in 4th and 5th gen, as well as testing out a banded variation in 6th, LO mix-nape is the way to go with this guy. infernape has great coverage moves on his special side, and with the equal atk and sp. atk base stats it's a sin imo to waste it for just physical attack. anyway, here's the set i use:

Dingo (M) Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
168 Atk/88 SpAtk/252 Spd
-Fire Blast/Overheat
-Close Combat
-Thunder Punch
-Hidden Power (Grass)

in my eyes, flare blitz is pretty awful on infernape, especially paired w/ life orb. it has such dire hp and defenses and talonflame or mega 'zard-X are more preferred users of it. overheat is nice since it packs more of a devastating punch on any pokemon that doesn't resist it, and even pokemon who resist it don't take it too well either! but fire blast does indeed have the benefit of not lowering sp. atk, so that's what i usually go with when i couple it w/ my mega zard-Y. close combat is essential, duh. as for thunder punch, i think it's a great coverage move on nape, personally. sure, stone edge is better in terms of coverage and bp, but i think when coupled w/ iron fist it does near close to the amount of damage s-edge does, idk. HP grass is used over grass knot b/c i hate grass knot, lol. and through personal use, it hits things like rotom-w a lot harder. the set is utterly walled by lati@s but that's not what it's made for.

some calcs on HP grass over grass knot:
88 SpA Life Orb Infernape Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W: 120-143 (39.4 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
88 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (20 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W: 42-49 (13.8 - 16.1%) -- possible 7HKO

grass knot is pretty bad imo, lol
I use the same set only with Mach Punch over HP Grass. Works pretty well for me.

Infernape is an amazing Pokemon, one that is often overlooked because of his starter stats and not so great abilities. This ape is now confined to UU, where the bulkiest Pokemon reside, like Hippowdon, Slowbro, Swampert, Tentacruel, Donphan and other Pokes that can be considered 'counters' to my favorite Pokemon. Well, I disagree, with the fact that Infernape is a huge threat because of his good movepool, good stats, decent abilites, and the element of surprise that not many good Pokemon can hold. Thanks to his 104/104/108 offensive stats, he is able to outspeed the Megazards, the Landorus forms, Salamence, Thunderus Therian, Mega Pinsir, Flygon, Staraptor, and many more threats to this frail Pokemon, and at least 2HKO them with things like Iron Fist Thunder Punch, Hidden Power Ice, Grass Knot, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and his very powerful stab moves, Flare Blitz and Close Combat. And with these coverage moves, it can easily force the switch from things like Lucario, Heatran, and Mega Mawile, and set up with Swords Dance, Bulk-Up, or Nasty Plot.

People always seem to think little of Infernape ever since it barely dropped down to UU, and never expect too much from him. Sure, it will OHKO your Mega Gyarados, alright, the opponent had Quagsire, so you couldn't do much to their team, then you send out Gliscor, force the switch, and get up a Substitute. But surprise, you just got OHKOed by an HP Ice.
Yes, I know that wasn't the most accurate image of what goes on in a usual competitive battle, but this happens a lot when I ladder, people thinking they can set-up on the switch with Landorus and Gliscor, then get destroyed by LO HP Ice. Plays like these always gives me a huge advantage against the opponent, because not too much wants to take a FB or CC from Ape surprisingly, except Lando-T, Gliscor, and Azumarill. And usually my opponents just sack the Pokemon on the field to get a free switch into Lando-T, as even after the Intimidate, FB does a clean half to it with Band.
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 183-216 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

And then people jump to Slowbro, Quagsire, Hippowdon, Latias, and Tentacruel as counters to Infernape, which infact, aren't.
76 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 203-239 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Tentacruel: 208-247 (57.1 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
76 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 473-562 (120 - 142.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 328-387 (78 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Infernape U-turn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 214-254 (70.8 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I would be stupid to say these Pokemon aren't checks, because they clearly are, but are they clean counters, no.

So overall, is Infernape the greatest Pokemon ever? No. Is it good? Heck yes it is!

Infernape is an amazing Pokemon, one that is often overlooked because of his starter stats and not so great abilities. This ape is now confined to UU, where the bulkiest Pokemon reside, like Hippowdon, Slowbro, Swampert, Tentacruel, Donphan and other Pokes that can be considered 'counters' to my favorite Pokemon. Well, I disagree, with the fact that Infernape is a huge threat because of his good movepool, good stats, decent abilites, and the element of surprise that not many good Pokemon can hold. Thanks to his 104/104/108 offensive stats, he is able to outspeed the Megazards, the Landorus forms, Salamence, Thunderus Therian, Mega Pinsir, Flygon, Staraptor, and many more threats to this frail Pokemon, and at least 2HKO them with things like Iron Fist Thunder Punch, Hidden Power Ice, Grass Knot, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and his very powerful stab moves, Flare Blitz and Close Combat. And with these coverage moves, it can easily force the switch from things like Lucario, Heatran, and Mega Mawile, and set up with Swords Dance, Bulk-Up, or Nasty Plot.

People always seem to think little of Infernape ever since it barely dropped down to UU, and never expect too much from him. Sure, it will OHKO your Mega Gyarados, alright, the opponent had Quagsire, so you couldn't do much to their team, then you send out Gliscor, force the switch, and get up a Substitute. But surprise, you just got OHKOed by an HP Ice.
Yes, I know that wasn't the most accurate image of what goes on in a usual competitive battle, but this happens a lot when I ladder, people thinking they can set-up on the switch with Landorus and Gliscor, then get destroyed by LO HP Ice. Plays like these always gives me a huge advantage against the opponent, because not too much wants to take a FB or CC from Ape surprisingly, except Lando-T, Gliscor, and Azumarill. And usually my opponents just sack the Pokemon on the field to get a free switch into Lando-T, as even after the Intimidate, FB does a clean half to it with Band.
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 183-216 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

And then people jump to Slowbro, Quagsire, Hippowdon, Latias, and Tentacruel as counters to Infernape, which infact, aren't.
76 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 203-239 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Tentacruel: 208-247 (57.1 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
76 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 473-562 (120 - 142.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 328-387 (78 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Infernape U-turn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 214-254 (70.8 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I would be stupid to say these Pokemon aren't checks, because they clearly are, but are they clean counters, no.
So overall, is Infernape the greatest Pokemon ever? No. Is it good? Heck yes it is!
Infernape current possesses a permanent spot on my current OU team and is by no means a weak pokemon like others think it to be. It currently ranks a C+ in the viability rankings for OU. Which means "It has some viable niches but requires significant support to be used properly." That last part about needing significant support I don't disagree with, but just "notable niches?" It's the reason I've never had any trouble with mega mawile. That alone is a reason to use it. Under sun overheat hits like a truck, its coverage moves help it check a vast amount of the pokes in OU, and its ability to be a mixed attacker makes it into a great wall-breaker. I once took out 70% of a quagsires HP with a sun boosted overheat. This thing is A LOT better than most people give it credit for.

So by running a physical set I'm holding my team down? He's doing very nice for me

252atk 252spe 4ded @assault vest
Thunderpunch
Power up Punch
Blaze Kick
Stone Edge

I use power up punch when I force the switch, or when they expect me to hit SE fire attacks and it's easy to hit at least +2 on boosting scoliopedes or set-up ferrothorns. pUp brings Smeargle down to sash. At +2 Azumarill will get 1HKO by thunderpunch (and frequently does because it thinks a switch is forced)

If you have Iron Fist, why not use Fire Punch instead of Blaze Kick? And no one stays in against Infernape with a Ferrothorn, and Scolipede can protect, then outspeed. PuP brings Smeargle down to sash, and then you get spored.

So by running a physical set I'm holding my team down? He's doing very nice for me

252atk 252spe 4ded @assault vest
Thunderpunch
Power up Punch
Blaze Kick
Stone Edge

I use power up punch when I force the switch, or when they expect me to hit SE fire attacks and it's easy to hit at least +2 on boosting scoliopedes or set-up ferrothorns. pUp brings Smeargle down to sash. At +2 Azumarill will get 1HKO by thunderpunch (and frequently does because it thinks a switch is forced)
what nature

If you have Iron Fist, why not use Fire Punch instead of Blaze Kick? And no one stays in against Infernape with a Ferrothorn, and Scolipede can protect, then outspeed. PuP brings Smeargle down to sash, and then you get spored.
1. Blaze Kick has more BP even after fist, right? 70+15? EDIT: oops. You're right. I should read more carefully. Thanks
2. Ferrothorn'You get +1 either way. Switch or no switch. Scoliopedes will protect, yes. Then probably sub and swords dance before passing. If you PUP twice he may think you're banded. I usually get +1 or 2 then throw the blaze kick when he think he won't need to sub.
4. The smeargles I've face so far have been more concerned with laying down rocks or sticky.

Above: he's jolly. I'm not sure what else is in his speed tier. Would I be able to go for a +atk or Der nature instead and not be outscored by anything I outspeed now?

Last edited:
I think people tend to shy away from Infernape is because of just two Pokemon dominant in OU, which has probably been mentioned, Azumarill and Talonflame
I personally run Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Mach Punch, and U-turn. I might remove thunder punch though, because it really doesnt serve as a reliable counter to Azumarill or Talonflame. But since Talonflame has priority and a good STAB flare blitz and Azumarill has priority with aqua jet + huge power, it's kind of hard to see Infernape lasting without a team almost based around it.

Switch in a ghost...what will that accomplish? I'm not using a choice band. Can he switch in a ghost on a PUP? Sure. Will there even be a ghost on the team? Hmmm how many ghosts are actually OU? Maybe the declining use Gengar, Sableye IS usually the lead, Trevenet is a grass type guaranteed to be 1HKO after the switch unless he's holding a specific berry for that specific scenario. Same thing goes for frostlass. Maybe chandelure? Maybe?

I wasn't giving a guide on how to Faceroll with Infernape. Obviously, team composition plays a part in deciding how you will play. I was simply sharing my experience. I will post replays in the near future

I tend to take small risks with Infernape because he can't power his way through a match. PUP will allow you to break sturdy/sash and gain +1.

yes, I skipped 3.

I wish you would not resort to theory for reasoning

Last edited:
Heck, not even a ghost type needs to switch in, as a lot of Pokemon can set-up on a PuP Infernape, namly Azumarill, Gliscor, and Kingdra. I was thinking of ghosts like Cofagrigus, Dusclops, and Doublade, which can take any hit and wittle down Ape.

And I never said you were, I was simply pointing out flaws in your examples.

You define a flaw as switching pokemon, though? That's like discrediting ferrothorn because one can simply switch into magic bounce. Circumstantial.

ghost types give 0 direct threat to +1 infernape. Dusclops ,Sableye and cofa tend to rely on wow. And duo takes SE.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-152281814

PuP'ed Metagross for +1, fire punched for the KO. 1hit Gengar. He outplayed me with a switch into Flashfire Heatran, took 2 PUPs and KO. Ironically his Mandibuzz (Buzzkill) ruined the sweep, lol

Azu and gliscor will switch into and set up on ANY infernape..Like you could SD and run into the same situation. Against the latter, I usually stay in for 1 turn to see if I can hax a burn before the toxic orb kicks in.

Last edited:
You define a flaw as switching pokemon, though? That's like discrediting ferrothorn because one can simply switch into magic bounce. Circumstantial.

ghost types give 0 direct threat to +1 infernape. Dusclops ,Sableye and cofa tend to rely on wow. And duo takes SE.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-152281814

PuP'ed Metagross for +1, fire punched for the KO. 1hit Gengar. He outplayed me with a switch into Flashfire Heatran, took 2 PUPs and KO. Ironically his Mandibuzz (Buzzkill) ruined the sweep, lol

Azu and gliscor will switch into and set up on ANY infernape..Like you could SD and run into the same situation. Against the latter, I usually stay in for 1 turn to see if I can hax a burn before the toxic orb kicks in.
116 SpA Life Orb Infernape Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor in Sun: 402-473 (113.5 - 133.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
116 SpA Life Orb Infernape Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 328-390 (92.6 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

140 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 320-377 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape in Sun: 104-126 (35.4 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape in Sun: 210-248 (71.6 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not the Infernape I use.

I'm kinda new and don't know when a thread is considered "dead" but I figured I'd mention something that I feel hasn't been discussed enough here... I feel like we're forgetting that infernape can be used as a lead/anti-lead. There are sets like the endeavor set, fake out set, and the one I personally use to lead my Volt-Turn team.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Endeavor
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Mach punch

Infernape @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fake Out
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat

Infernape @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Overheat
- Close Combat

Infernape has access to SR which can make him a great suicide lead with the rest if his move pool. We have been talking about his sweeping capabilities and we have found from this thread that while he CAN sweep, he is arguably outclassed. For those who love Infernape and want him in a team, he makes a good dedicated lead and I have YET to see any of you give a reason not to use him as such.

When the last post made was August of last month, the thread is officially dead. Honestly, the thread can use a revamp since the only set in the OP is a bad Infernape set.

Also, if you need a reason to not use Infernape as a lead, Mega Sableye pretty much blocks him from leading. Not saying it's unusable, but Sableye is a huge issue for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)