SM OU I made a team (: (Tangrowth, Toxapex, Kyurem-B)

Introduction

Hi! I’m Shulkicide, and I’m new to smogon. This is my first post (yay) and I hope I don’t get banned because I didn’t follow the instructions. Okay, so once I saw Kyurem Black was in OU, so I decided to make a team with Kyurem Black in it. By the way, why is Kyurem Black in OU, but White is in Ubers? Is this racial discrimination? Also, my defensive core works really well with Kyurem-B and it’s really fun to use.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z

Ability: Teravolt

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Naive Nature

- Freeze Shock

- Fusion Bolt

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

I chose Kyurem Black because it is a very strong pokemon to make dents in the enemy’s team, meaning that it can OHKO/2HKO multiple vulnerable pokemon that are very common in OU. It is reeaaall good to kill certain pokemon. For the set, I used a very common Subzero Slammer set. Ice isn’t super effective against much, but neither does anything resist it, so it’s very good for getting an OHKO on a neutral pokemon. Earth Power is good against steel pokemon that resist my other attacks. There is no one pokemon that resists all of Kyurem’s attacks, so it is really only checked by defensive and speedy pokemon.

EDIT:

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z

Naive Nature

- Roost

- Fusion Bolt

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power​

It now has Roost instead of Freeze Shock, as that was a waste of a moveslot just for a Z-Move. I'm considering replacing it with Life Orb, and giving Tapu Bulu a Grassium Z? Yeah

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite

Ability: Light Metal

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Impish Nature

- Bullet Punch

- Roost

- U-turn

- Defog

I needed a mega on my team, so I chose Scizor-Mega for its very good Defog and Roost as well as its lots of resistances. It’s my main defogger, however it can’t kill many pokemon, which is why I put U-Turn on it just in case. Bullet Punch is always a must for Scizor, in case there is a fairy type, however if there is I usually just switch into Greninja or Toxapex. Speaking of U-Turn and defense...

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Lax Nature

- U-turn

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Earthquake

- Stealth Rock

Landorus is here because of the same reason: defensive measures. Landorus is basically a must in any team with Greninja (down below) due to the fact that it is immune to electric and ground, for Toxapex (also down below). It is basically a switch in just in case I need to use it for something. It being only weak to water and ice is also a big factor in how defensive it is (usually no water types and Tapu Koko is also usually dead by the time he comes in) U-Turn is for types weak to bug, so I can juggle U-Turns with Scizor, and HP Ice and Earthquake are both on there for covering types that usually give me a headache. Stealth Rock is there when I really need it, or if I already have him out and can survive another turn I can use it.

Greninja @ Choice Specs

Ability: Battle Bond

Hasty Nature

- U-Turn

- Dark Pulse

- Hydro Pump

- Water Shuriken

I really wanted to use Protean instead of BB, but Battle Bond ended up being the best choice for supporting Kyurem and late-game sweeps. Its role is to switch in when there are two or three pokemon left on their team at full health, and destroy everything with its insane speed. Specs allow it to hit hard with Shuriken after picking up a kill, giving the team a much needed priority move. Its set is a basic Spec greninja battle bond set that can do a lot of damage. U-Turn is used for momentum, and dark pulse, hydro pump, and shuriken are all used for sweeping STAB.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Scald

- Haze

- Recover

- Toxic Spikes

Toxapex is here because fairy is a big weakness in my team, being that I have Kyurem and Greninja as my offensive pokemon. Toxapex is a defensive pokemon, but it is usually very good in any situation you throw it in, except for Ground and Electric types… both of which are covered by Tangrowth! It regenerates a lot of health when you switch out to Tangrowth too, so both of them are a very good defensive core. Scald is a good move especially since it has a chance to burn, which can kill some of toxapex’s weaknesses (but not many, it mostly never happens) Haze is there to get rid of sweepers that can give me a headache. Most of the sweepers Haze works on aren’t super effective against Toxapex, and that’s why I have Toxic Spikes, because I can pile on the damage if I have a chance.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest

Serious Nature

- Knock Off

- Earthquake

- Giga Drain

- Hidden Power [Fire]

I chose Tangrowth to support Toxapex, mostly. It is very bulky and a grass type, so it resists perfectly what toxapex is weak to, and its weaknesses are also covered by toxapex. Its moves are just coverage moves used to kill mons I struggle with. Before, this team was weak to Koko but Tangrowth can kill Tapu Koko easily.

EDIT:

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest

Ability: Grassy Surge

EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Horn Leech

- Wood Hammer

- Nature's Madness

- Stone Edge
Tangrowth is now Tapu Bulu, as that was a better choice.

Conclusion

In conclusion, this team is a pretty solid balanced team. Also, I hope this post works! rip

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z

Naive Nature

- Freeze Shock

- Fusion Bolt

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite

Impish Nature

- Bullet Punch

- Roost

- U-turn

- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Lax Nature

- U-turn

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Earthquake

- Stealth Rock

Greninja @ Assault Vest

Hasty Nature

- Gunk Shot

- Ice Beam

- Hydro Pump

- Extrasensory

Toxapex @ Black Sludge

Calm Nature

- Scald

- Haze

- Recover

- Toxic Spikes

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest

Serious Nature

- Knock Off

- Earthquake

- Giga Drain

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:
Reactions: Wob
Honestly, this team is a little all over the place. I'll start with a few minor concerns.

Firstly, your greninja is a little odd. Your team has a lot of pivoting potential already, and Greninja isn't meant to work as a fast pivot anyway, as it needs to be picking up its kill ASAP. Most Gren nowadays run 3 attacks + spikes so that they're not useless against opposing chansey, and although U-turn helps with this, its not so necessary when you have Scizor as a super-safe chansey switchin. Ice Beam is also an option to nail grass types on the switchin, particularly relevant against Bulu. Even if you decide U-turn is worth keeping, I'd probably stick to Timid no attack. The damage its doing is negligible anyway, even in Ash form, and losing 10% of a bulk doesn't feel worth it.

Secondly, Lax Landorus is both really wierd, and really bad. You don't want to be cutting SpDef against opposing landorus. Most landorus nowadays run a little SpDef investment to help tank opposing Landorus and Latios.

Freeze Shock Kyub tends to run Attack investment. I much prefer special Kyub, but at that point the wallbreaking potential of Freeze Shock is limited, and its better to run LO Roost.

Tangrowth doesn't want a serious nature. You should give it a -Speed nature, probably Sassy.

Now for the real problem - this team doesn't have a plan. It's just a bunch of pivots and walls, with very little ability to convincingly win a hazard game. Kyub can function as a breaker, but its easy to wear down and not all that fast. If your opponent gets hazards up or gets a Quiver Dance off, I don't see how this team wins, as it completely lacks speed control. There's only so much Bullet Punch + Water Shuriken can do.
When I look at a defensive core of Landorus + Scizor + Regenerators, I feel like I'm looking at some kind of VoltTurn offence, but that's just not the case here. Maybe Scarf Landorus would help with speed control and general offensive pressure, and either Pursuit or Swords Dance on Scizor could help. I'd probably replace Greninja with CM Keldeo so that the team has some setup presence and also deal with Chansey better. That, or change Greninja into something that aids the hazard game, either with Spikes or by replacing it entirely.

TLDR: I can't tell what this team is trying to do. I can't even tell if its meant to be balance or offence. Either way, needs win conditions.

Hello, got a few suggestions.

->
You should 100% run av tapu bulu over tangrowth. Reason being...

Following is a post from 1 of the ou council members.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Your lando-t spread is a bit weird like thetapdancer mentioned. Following is the standard defensive lando-t spread. Also, a rocky helmet is probably better over lefties to spread chip damage. Main reason you'd use lefties is to check zygarde for which you have scizor + tangrowth / bulu.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

Spikes on ashgren is optimal because they help bulu break through defensive counters better and also for ashgren to break through toxapex. You already have scizor + lando-t to pivot around.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Running some speed on scizor to outspeed av magnezone is nice because builds like these get crushed very easily if scizor gets trapped by magnezone.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Should you ever run yourself overtroubled by heatran or volcarona, shed shell and payapa berry are the go to items.

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry / Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes / Knock Off

Your team has some weaknesses though and I'm surprised you didn't point them out. From what I can see,
  • Your defensive core gets crushed by opposing kyurem black because you don't have a way to threaten it with an ohko besides your own kyurem black which is a speed tie.
  • The same can be said with tapu lele regardless of sets if played right.
  • The team is a bit too passive in my opinion at least if you meet similar type of builds, you are going to have a lot of problems breaking through those teams.
  • The team is way too slow as well, lacking speed control.
From the way you posted the team, I'm not sure if you actually want changes so I'm just offering some small moveset changes which could make the team better. If you actually are interested though, let me know and I'll try to come up with something.

Thank you all for the advice! I'm changing my team based on what you told me, hopefully I can find better spreads and a win condition. It's my first team, anyway, and it's been doing pretty well at pretty much the lowest possible ladder ranking (rip). Again, thank you for the advice, hope I can get some more!

So I saw the z-move kyurem, and noticed it wasn't running attack to get the needed KOs so I upped the attack investment, and replaced greninja with specs tapu koko to form a better volt-turn core with scizor and boost kyurem's fusion bolts. Specs tapu koko does good damage to AV magearna and Heatran with its electric STABs, Dazzling Gleam hits the ground types and works well in conjunction with specs, hidden power fire allows you to lure and kill ferrothorn.

I left the rest of the team largely unchanged, but I'm calling attention to the volcorona weakness and considering replacing tapu bulu.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)