SM OU I don't know why, but Mega-Altaria

Well, actually the title is not ironic. I have no idea about what mega to use on this team, and that's mainly because of how well the other five work together. This led me to a lot of trial and error with different megas and Mega-Altaria is what I am currently using.
The team is a bulky offense that pushes on the ability to bait in Steel-types and trapping them with Magnezone, so that the rest of the team can proceed to ravage the opponent once the resists are gone.

:sm/altaria-mega:
Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

So yeah. The mega that I am using currently is Mega-Altaria. It was originally a fun Mega-Sceptile, but once I noticed how well the team worked I wanted to try something more serious. I tried swapping it for a Mega-Scizor but wasn't quite satisfied, as his role kinda overlapped with Tornadus' (checking Kartana, Bulu and such). I ultimately opted fot Altaria, mainly because it gave me a resist to bot of Ash-Greninja's STABs and could be a cute setup sweeper. I am still not convinced about Earthquake. It allows to beat Heatran and Toxapex sometimes, but Altaria is left a bit too vulnerable to status.

:sm/magnezone:
Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 188 HP / 144 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone is the goat. With how common Steels are in this meta, it is no wonder that a mon able to trap and surgically remove a lot of common walls facilitates a lot the job of offensive teams. It also allows less common mons to be used, such as Mega-Altaria, or Mega-Sceptile. The spread is designed to live two Psychics from Specs Lele after Stealth Rocks, and I chose an AV set so that Magnezone could put in a bit more work in matchups where there aren't any Steels to trap. It is my preferred switch-in to most Tapus, and a lot of special attackers in general. Moveset is pretty self-explainatory.

:sm/mamoswine:
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Mamoswine is a fearsome threat. I'v seen teams that had 5 to 6 Pokemons that were weak to Mamo's STAB combination. Being such an important offensive presence, it forces a lot of switches, and that gives it a lot of opportunities to set up Rocks. Life Orb is my item of choice, as it allows Mamo to OHKO Toxapex (SpDef invested) with Earthquake and Landorus-T after Intimidate with Icicle Crash. I do not usually hard switch into Mamo, but on a couple occasions a predicted switch or setup from the opponent could invite this behemot in.

:sm/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Knock Off

Torn was my Defogger of choice. I still had a Z-Move slot free after finishing the building process, so I decided to give Flyinium to this mon. This mon needs no introduction, as it has been a dominant force for a while now. It is my Kartana and Bulu preferred check, and it finds a lot of times to hard switch in the field. Hurricane is the only STAB, and turns into a powerful Z. Knock is used to cripple mons in the stall match-up, and U-turn for momentum.

:sm/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Poison Jab

Garchomp is the scarfer that most well-fitted this team. Its role is to revenge kill mons that setted up and are sitting on the field such as Mega-Charizard X and Volcarona. It also has the speed and power necessary to clean up sometimes and go for the win by himself. Earthquake is the main STAB, while Outrage is a powerful option to neutrally hit mons that resist Earthquake. Stone Edge rounds the coverage, as in combination with EQ, gives Chomp the ability to at least neutrally hit everything, and allows Chomp to revenge Volcarona and Zard Y. Poison Jab is to catch Fairy types coming in.

:sm/slowbro:
Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Slowbro should be OU. It's impressive how many things it can completely shut down. Z-Celebrate Victini cannot break Slowbro whatsoever, and the same goes form Mega-Medicham, Mega-Lopunny, and even Mega-Swampert lacking Power-Up Punch. Notice that those are some of the most fearsome threats for Offense to face, and the ability to shut them down is absolutely fantastic. Rocky Helmet is useful for dealing with the aforementioned Megas by only spamming Slack Off.

Oh and btw, this team got me over 1700ELO on a fresh account

Allright. Any suggestion is well accepted, especially those regarding which Mega to use, as Altaria does not convince me entirely. Bye :)

Last edited:
The team's good, seriously

as to which mega to use, Mega Diancie could be a fine addition to the team, it has good ground/rock/fairy coverage and likes to opt into Hidden Power, so you could hammer out some coverage leaks with HP Fire. Diancie is also a great rocker and anti-lead, which could easen up the pressure put on Mamoswine as the rocker, so it could go full offensive Scarf with Superpower instead of Stealth Rocks, Garchomp could run an SD set then.
And because of its 4x weakness to steel, Diancie is the master in baiting in Scizor.

These are just my 2 cents on the matter though, the team is good as it is.

The team's good, seriously

as to which mega to use, Mega Diancie could be a fine addition to the team, it has good ground/rock/fairy coverage and likes to opt into Hidden Power, so you could hammer out some coverage leaks with HP Fire. Diancie is also a great rocker and anti-lead, which could easen up the pressure put on Mamoswine as the rocker, so it could go full offensive Scarf with Superpower instead of Stealth Rocks, Garchomp could run an SD set then.
And because of its 4x weakness to steel, Diancie is the master in baiting in Scizor.

These are just my 2 cents on the matter though, the team is good as it is.
I think that I won't give the Scarf to Mamo.
Mainly because I wouldn't be able to revenge Zard X and Volcarona that way. Also Life Orb is very nice to pressure Pex and Tang defensive cores, as it threatens both of them with super-effective, boosted attacks. And Scarf Chomp can revenge those threats I listed. So do you think I should use Diancie anyway? Idk if two rockers would be a great idea, of if an all-out attacking set fits Diancie well.

I think that I won't give the Scarf to Mamo.
Mainly because I wouldn't be able to revenge Zard X and Volcarona that way. Also Life Orb is very nice to pressure Pex and Tang defensive cores, as it threatens both of them with super-effective, boosted attacks. And Scarf Chomp can revenge those threats I listed. So do you think I should use Diancie anyway? Idk if two rockers would be a great idea, of if an all-out attacking set fits Diancie well.
Yeah that comment on Mamo was just me being the fool I am, Life Orb is great on Mamo. You've got the choice, either Superpower on Mamo or god knows what on Diancie, maybe Protect for scouts. But Diancie is an amazing rocker. Now that I think about it, maybe Metronome Mamo? Subzero Slammer! Don't listen to me. God it's been ages since I've last seen Life Orb Tornadus.

You could potentially run an expert belt on mamo, as it does the similar to Pex and Lando, but no recoil. this might not be worth it though, as the extra power is probably appreciated. EB won't likely KO Pex, but w/ stealth rock it is guaranteed to KO. LO isn't guaranteed either, but has a better chance than EB. Both KO defensive Lando at -1 with Crash.

Calcs
with LO

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 426-504 (111.5 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 296-351 (97.3 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
with EB
-1 252 Atk Expert Belt Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 394-466 (103.1 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 274-324 (90.1 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge

You could potentially run an expert belt on mamo, as it does the similar to Pex and Lando, but no recoil. this might not be worth it though, as the extra power is probably appreciated. EB won't likely KO Pex, but w/ stealth rock it is guaranteed to KO. LO isn't guaranteed either, but has a better chance than EB. Both KO defensive Lando at -1 with Crash.

Calcs
with LO

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 426-504 (111.5 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 296-351 (97.3 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
with EB
-1 252 Atk Expert Belt Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 394-466 (103.1 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 274-324 (90.1 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge
That could be an option, but I really like the clean 2HKO on Fini with EQ. Also EQ can OHKO Volcarona. I could consider running adamant though, as it gives me some chances to OHKO Tangrowth after Rocks damage. Idk though.

By the way I ended up playing Thunder Punch Mega-Mawile as my Mega, and it's been working nicely

Something of note would be that fast superpower scizor could be rather irritating, as mag won't quite kill and it 2 hits ohkos your mag. your mag had 200 speed, and fast superpower scizor (136-speed investment) hits 220. and roosts on mawile, which I guess is the all-out attacker variant.
scizor also annoys mamo and potentially bro if its a weird set, which tbh is quite unlikely.

Calcs
144+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Scizor-Mega: 240-284 (69.9 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Scizor-Mega Superpower vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 218-258 (66.4 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 222-264 (61.4 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Scizor-Mega Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 294-348 (81.4 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Something of note would be that fast superpower scizor could be rather irritating, as mag won't quite kill and it 2 hits ohkos your mag. your mag had 200 speed, and fast superpower scizor (136-speed investment) hits 220. and roost on mawile, which I guess is the all-out attacker variant.
scizor also annoys mamo and potentially bro if its a weird set, which tbh is quite unlikely.

Calcs
144+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Scizor-Mega: 240-284 (69.9 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Scizor-Mega Superpower vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 218-258 (66.4 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 222-264 (61.4 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Scizor-Mega Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 294-348 (81.4 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Actually the Mawile set is this one:

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Which does not solve the problem, but still, I don't find Scizor very often, and they more often than not carry U-turn or Knock Off over Superpower.
Still it is true that Scizor can be a pain to deal with for this team, I'd like to hear some suggestions in that regard

If you really don't like Mega Scizor, I could see Mega Venusaur working for your team decently well, creating a deffensive core with Slowbro and Magnezone while not being just a deffensive blob. Its moveset can also be customised deppending on what your team needs, with Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, Hidden Power Fire, Knock Off, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed and Synthesis all being able to support the team in one way or another.

On a more offensive approach, you could also try Mega Charizard X. I've also considered Mega Charizard Y, but Drought hinders your team by lowering Hurricane's accuracy and making your team much weaker to fire. Mega Charizard X has some deffensive utility as another grass and scizor check, but has the potential of cleaning in the late game or wallbreaking earlier on, creating an offensive core with Garchomp and Mamoswine that pressures pokémon like bulky waters, which are common checks for the three.

If you really don't like Mega Scizor, I could see Mega Venusaur working for your team decently well, creating a deffensive core with Slowbro and Magnezone while not being just a deffensive blob. Its moveset can also be customised deppending on what your team needs, with Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, Hidden Power Fire, Knock Off, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed and Synthesis all being able to support the team in one way or another.

On a more offensive approach, you could also try Mega Charizard X. I've also considered Mega Charizard Y, but Drought hinders your team by lowering Hurricane's accuracy and making your team much weaker to fire. Mega Charizard X has some deffensive utility as another grass and scizor check, but has the potential of cleaning in the late game or wallbreaking earlier on, creating an offensive core with Garchomp and Mamoswine that pressures pokémon like bulky waters, which are common checks for the three.
Nice
Really like the idea of implementing Venusaur. I will try it out and maybe tell you how it goes if you would like to.

I am playing Mawile atm and it works really well
Im telling you there are some minor problems with the team, but having mega altaria is a solid mega for this team. Those problems would be minor tweaking as the team ladders, otherwise, absolutely great team dude!

Have you tried Venusaur yet?
Honestly, the one thing that limits MVenu the most is that it's one of the biggest sufferers of 4mss
Yeah I tried and it's a bit too defensive for the team and generally saps momentum by going for synthesis and stuff

Im telling you there are some minor problems with the team, but having mega altaria is a solid mega for this team. Those problems would be minor tweaking as the team ladders, otherwise, absolutely great team dude!
Thanks man
Would you please explain me which problems do you see?

Thanks man
Would you please explain me which problems do you see?
Ok, now I know this might sound like a troll suggestion, and it might sound stupid. But I've had a lot of success using metronome on mamoswine. It has saved me in many situations and becomes a life orb after one turn for whatever move you used, it's like a band/specs that can change moves. Idk, really niche, but really cool to have that.

Ok, now I know this might sound like a troll suggestion, and it might sound stupid. But I've had a lot of success using metronome on mamoswine. It has saved me in many situations and becomes a life orb after one turn for whatever move you used, it's like a band/specs that can change moves. Idk, really niche, but really cool to have that.
I lose too much by going Metronome
Ice Shard does not OHKO Garchomp, EQ does not OHKO Toxapex, and Icicle Crash does not OHKO Lando after Intimidate

I lose too much by going Metronome
Ice Shard does not OHKO Garchomp, EQ does not OHKO Toxapex, and Icicle Crash does not OHKO Lando after Intimidate
Right, I didn't expect it to be the best. Also, your team is really weak to rain and trick room, here is a replay I had using your team against a rain team in OU https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-989131178 Once swampert dies its usually a lot easier. Mega Altaria is your best friend in that position.

Right, I didn't expect it to be the best. Also, your team is really weak to rain and trick room, here is a replay I had using your team against a rain team in OU https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-989131178 Once swampert dies its usually a lot easier. Mega Altaria is your best friend in that position.
Actually Slowbro is my best friend vs rain
And I usually find it quite a favorable matchup
Also, I am not playing Altaria anymore, I am using Mawile atm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)