SM OU Hyper Offense Smeargle Sticky Web Mayhem

Hello friends of Smogon, I apologize ahead of time for terrible formatting, my skills in this area are very low. But let's go ahead and talk about this team. It's all about medium speed mons getting that little bump for speed to slaughter their opposition.
monsss.png

And we're off...

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Skill Swap
- Explosion

One of the core members of this team for the sole purpose of him being a fast/versatile Sticky Web setter. I use Sneak Pebbles in the ideal situation when they have no spinners or defoggers. Skill Swap is mainly to mess with Purple Ruby Crystal Demon, however it's not to be underestimated. Taking skill link off a Mega Heracross is both hilarious and cruel. Explosion is to do some damage before dying. Also the reason I'm running 252 atk on him is for this reason. I've been in games where i couldn't set up and had to use Smeargle late game; a 252 atk explosion can net a surprise kill on glass cannons with prior damage.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Mimikyu is my spin blocker and boy does he hurt. After one SD you can net some surprising kills on a lot of the defensive mons in the tier with a Z boosted shadow claw. If you're lucky enough to get off 2 SD you're gonna sweep the whole game after web set. Mimikyu is just a super awesome mon and my 2nd favorite next to my boy Weavile.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Young Bisharp is the bait for defog as he is a huge threat to common defoggers in the tier after a Defiant boost. He can OHKO latios and some variations of Tapu Fini. If Fini speed dropped you can get a free SD before annihilating the rest of the team. Seriously I've won so many games from a defogger on turn 2 making a poor choice. Adamant was necessary to give him a slight boost over some mons but will make him susceptible to being outsped by Zams and Ninjas.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Bulu plays a very niche role in this squad. If grass is down Bisharp and Char X can feel a little safer coming out to revenge kill and the passive recovery is super nice. Not gonna lie 9/10 times I bring this guy out is to use Wood Hammer. Doesn't matter if you resist it. If you can't OHKO Bulu he will 2HKO almost any mon in the tier. But his other moves are nice coverage too.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Hyperspace Hole
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Hoopa is just a monster. I can switch in on a special attack and force the opponent to think really hard about their next move. Dark Pulse is his best stab, with the speed drop of the opponent his flinch goes into play and can net some clutch kills. I chose Hyperspace Hole for it's utility and the complete lack of physical attacks I need on this set So Psyshock wasn't really necessary. FB nets kills vs a lot of different types and covers fighting. Tbolt is strong af with specs and is on par with other mon's stab version.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

And now the Mega. Char X is a suicide mega, which is why I'm not running Roost on him. His job is to take out at least 2 mons before dying and is my main Heatran counter. Fire Dragon is just too strong of a typing to pass up on as I was originally thinking of Y. And honestly X Zard is just so cool. You know? Dragon Claw over Outrage, I really was thinking about Outrage but SM just made it such a risky move.

Well I appreciate you reading through and taking the time to provide me feedback. I've had a lot of fun playing this team and have climbed into the 1500s since starting it. I feel like this team has a lot of potential and with more games and maybe a tweak or two I could climb higher.

I like this team a lot, however I find just glancing at all your threats it seems you might come into many problems with toxapex, have you considered z-haze or haze toxapex with infestation counters?

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Metal Sonic's School of SunMoon Battling (Rating Sector)

Who am I?

I am a veteran Battling 101 Tutor who wants to help newcomers feel more acquainted with Smogon and more confident about their battling skills. Having personally experienced the joy and inspiration of being guided by an experienced member when I was a newbie in another forum, I wish to extend the same helping hand to the newcomers of Smogon, who may be struggling to learn how to battle proficiently. As tutoring slots for Battling 101 are limited and only available to a lucky few, a majority of newcomers lack the help and support they need to break through the glass ceiling and learning curve of competitive Pokemon battling. My vision is to extend my knowledge and expertise to a larger number of newcomers, in order to inspire a future generation of potential contributors to Smogon.

Team being rated: Hyper Offense Smeargle Sticky Web Mayhem by BFG
Tier: SM OU
Peak: N/A
Team Archetype: Offensive / Defensive

Summary:
What is the goal of the team?
  • Mimikyu cleans late-game once threats have been eliminated
  • Bisharp takes advantage of Defogger mistakes to set up and sweep
  • Mega Charizard X sweeps the opponent with powerful attacks
How do the teammates support this goal?
  • Smeargle provides Sticky Web support to slow down opponents, allowing powerful but slower wallbreakers on the user's side to deal massive damage
  • Bisharp prevents or deters Defog, with the ability to sweep with Defiant.
  • Choiced Tapu Bulu and Hoopa-U function as powerful physical and special wallbreakers respectively to punch holes in the opponent's team

Personal Rate:

About Team Effectiveness
7/10
This team appears to be highly solid; I like how you maximize the value of Sticky Web by putting such powerful wallbreakers and offensive nukes on your team. The team's core, Mimikyu and Bisharp, are well planned to deter any Rapid Spinning / Defogging by the opponent, which is worth praise. Furthermore, they are both extremely deadly setup sweepers, which complement each other (Ghost and Dark have similar offensive synergy), helping to double up on both offensive type synergy as well as physical wallbreaking. With the lack of Ghost- and Dark-resists in the tier, I would say that this team is well-equipped to deal with many threats in the metagame.

However, you may have neglected the fact that Flying-types and Levitate users are immune to Sticky Web. This will definitely cause problems for you.

Offensive Potential
8/10
Your offensive synergy is highly diverse, which is amazing. I see many high-powered moves of various diverse typings in your team, allowing you to have an offensive answer to almost every enemy in the tier. This is very good.

I am also very impressed by how you stack up multiple physical attackers on the team, to overwhelm the opponent's physical walls. As stacking special attackers is usually not feasible due to the unbreakable wall Chansey, this is a very smart move that indicates very skilled and careful planning.

Only one possible annoyance is Unaware Quagsire, who can Scald your physical attackers (including Tapu Bulu), and beats Mega Charizard X in a 1v1.

I cannot think of a Pokemon that can wall your team entirely.

However, you must beware of the fact that Sticky Web does not affect Flying-types and Levitators. They can outspeed you and revenge kill your Pokemon. These include Mega Pinsir, Lati@s, Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, and to some extent Mega Charizard Y. These Pokemon in particular happen to be offensive threats who will not give your team a good time.

Defensive Potential
6/10
I believe that the top threat to your team is Mega Pinsir: it almost seems like you will automatically lose once that giant bug sets up a +2, as it will OHKO all your Pokemon, while being unaffected by Sticky Web. It has enough bulk to take unboosted Shadow Sneaks and Sucker Punches, especially when Sucker Punch had been nerfed. You should at least have some sort of answer to this; not an auto-lose condition, especially when Mega Pinsir is so popular.

For similar reasons, Life Orb Tornadus-T will give your team problems as well. Regenerator can help it shrug off the damage taken by Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak, while OHKO-ing 5/6 of your Pokemon thanks to its coverage moves (U-turn, Superpower, and Flying STAB).

Supersonic Strike Landorus-T can give some problems to your team, especially when it switches in on Charizard X (and does not trigger Bisharp's Defiant).

About the RMT
4/10
The RMT design is very plain and this makes it difficult to visualize the team.

Also, "Sneak Pebbles" and "Purply Ruby Crystal Demon" (Stealth Rock and Mega-Sableye respectively) were difficult to decipher at first, almost letting me think that the author does not have English as a native language. Fortunately, the rest of the RMT was coherent. However, it did set a bad impression.

One thing I like about the RMT though, is how the descriptions are accurate and concise. They are simple to understand and easy to follow.

Suggestions:

• ->
    As much as I hate to see Hoopa-U go, as it is such a powerful monster that can destroy so many things, the weakness to Mega Pinsir is far too critical for your team. I suggest Nasty Plot Thundurus, who can punish the Flying-types that avoid the Speed drop from Sticky Web - all of Landorus-T, Mega Pinsir, and even Mega Charizard Y are beaten. With (Prankster) Nasty Plot, Thundurus can reach even as much power as Hoopa-U. I also felt that you already had enough Ghost/Dark coverage from Mimikyu and Bisharp, so removing Hoopa's Dark Pulse wouldn't lose much. Also, Thundurus will have access to stronger Thunderbolts and can switch moves.
  • PS: If you want, you can try using Defiant Thundurus for two Defiant users on the team, but my preference is Prankster Thundurus (you can use Nasty Plot or Thunder Wave) because it is a special attacker just like Hoopa. Thunder Wave has the fun advantage of having added Speed control on your team, which is already focused on lowering the opponent's Speed.

Try out my tweak and let me know if this works for you. It's a very solid team, I like it. The only difficult part is keeping the Sticky Web up, but that depends on the skill of the player, and is not a weakness of the team.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, I'll definitely try out Thundurus and let you know how it goes. Thank you very much for your in depth analysis!

Webs is an archetype that is tried and tested, but I always like to see people try and improve the current formula. Of course looking at the team, I think there are a few issues with the team that I could help fix.

• Explosion Smeargle-->spore/taunt: Explosion is really only useful versus slow spinners or defoggers, neither of which really exist in the tier. Even then spore hits most of those anyways, bar Fini, but even then there's a good chance their faster and just taunt you. Spore on the other hand allows to shut down an extremely wide range of mons and get a safe switch out. Another option is taunt because that helps versus slow defoggers, and it also stops setup as well. Between spore and taunt, you can only really see a niche in beating mons like foretress which aren't really existent in the tier.
  • Specs hoopa-->LO: I'd like to recommend a Hoopa set that Webcamparrot came up with earlier in the gen. It utilises life orb so that it can continue to punish switches and makes it much harder to outplay. This set has far fewer switchins (read none) than choiced sets. Psychic allows Hoopa to kill defensive lando after it switches into hyperspace fury and it also nets the 2hko against bold clef which would otherwise wall it. As well as letting it punch through things like Toxapex and Mega venu which can be a pain. T-bolt can be run over drain punch if you care about hitting Tapu Fini
  • Bulu-->Starmie: Bulu looks like a relatively large hinderance on your team, and you said, "it's uses are pretty niche on this team". Grassy terrain makes it so zard can't even kill tran with eq while earth power is unaffected. It's another choice locked mon so it's hard to click horn leech or wood hammer with mons like zapdos running around, it's just not really synergistic with anything else on the team. What starmie does is it provides a spinner for zard. It's also really fast and it can revenge kill a lot of problem mons like pinsir without webs. With webs your able to handle ash gren and resist water shuriken and also beat down on fini. It also helps versus things like tran, but it's main use lies in its ability spin. To me it's a sin to use a zard without a spinner so starmie fill that role.
  • DD zard-->SD: Dragon dance is a fantastic move that boosts speed and attack at the same time. Yet, on webs it's far less effective as it is otherwise. You already outspeed a vast majority of mons already so it's more efficient to run SD. SD makes you an incredibly threatening breaker letting you beat mons like lando that would switch in otherwise. Seeing as you already have mons like mimikyu and starmie that are able to handle the exceptional mons that outspeed you there really is no use for DD on this team.
That's about all I have to say. The teams offensive core is really interesting conceptually and hoopa is a mon I've always wanted to try on webs being such a powerful breaker, and I feel as if it's this teams main distinguishing factor from the other big variations of the team. Good luck with the team, hopefully it goes well.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Skill Swap
- Taunt/spore

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
Metal Sonic hey man. I've come to revisit this team after a long time running Mega Pinsir and Mega Gallade. I really enjoyed this rendition and have found recent success on the ladder. I never got back to you on the Thundurus, but it didn't quite work as well as I'd hoped. The spec def hoopa provides is just too strong as a switch in. Also, though I generally frown upon double choice comps; I find it necessary for hoopa to put that extra amount of damage out. With proper reads he isn't incredibly hindered by his choice lock.

Some things I've gathered from my experience running this variation:
I found myself never using Horn Leech and swapped it for Zen Headbutt, Wood Hammer already OHKO's Toxapex and I wanted a read on Mega Venusaur
Skill Swap was no longer necessary and Spore replaced it
Running Mimikium-Z allows me to switch into a SD Pinsir and OHKO him, covering that weakness. I switched Shadow Claw out for Drain Punch giving the team another Fighting move.
Charizard is almost always the 2nd mon out after smeargle, usually responding to a Ferrothorn. So the lack of synergy between Bulu and Zard has never been an issue. As stated Charizard is a suicide mega. He dances and punches holes in common early game mons, I tend to delay the mega in case of a Landorus swap. Also double switches the extra speed from Dragon Dance is necessary vs scarfed Latios/Garchomp
Explosion still does well however, I've been considering running a mental herb. Smeargle survives U-turn from most mons and can prevent him from being taunt locked. Thoughts?
I've been thinking of switching up Hoopa's moveset. Dark Pulse and Hyperspace Hole are the moves in question. Have you any ideas of variants the still include the Choice Lock?

I decided to revisit this team after struggling with Pinsir/Gallade variants and have found Mega Charizard X a very reliable early game mon. I continue to look for ways to tweak this team and will gladly take any more constructive criticism from anyone.

Edit: https://pokepast.es/df3fcfd7a7d27552 latest rendition after tweaks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)