SV OU Hyper-Offense for OU - First Team

Hi All

I've recently gotten interested in competitive pokemon and have been playing SV OU for a few weeks. I'm not well versed in deeper strategy so I just built my team for coverage and a bit of build diversity, with a couple of very fast mon and a couple that can take a hit. I'd love to get some feedback!

Introduction
As mentioned, there isn't a particularly deep strategy behind this team. Beyond type coverage and good matchups against pokemon I commonly see on ladder, my general goal was to fill the punnett square of fast/bulky physical/special. That left 2 more slots. I used one to have a very bulky pokemon I could reliably switch in against almost anything, and the final slot went to a utility setup/hazard cleaner.

Ogerpon Wellspring
1706346471983.png

Ogerpon is the first member I chose for this team, filling the role of fast physical attacker. Relatively high base speed means it can get the first hit on most things, while water absorb makes it a great switch-in against any water type attacker. Horn leech is both a great STAB move and gives Ogerpon staying power against threats such as Great Tusk, while Play Rough is useful coverage considering the high usage of dragons such as Roaring Moon, Kyurem, and the paradox dragons. While 3 of my sweepers run a setup move, Ogerpon is the most likely to use hers as switching in on a water type is often a damageless switch followed by a guaranteed switch from the opponent. Ivy Cudgel is included as Ogerpon's best STAB move.

Iron Valiant
1706347229006.png

Iron Valiant is the the fastest member of the team and fills the role of fast special attacker on this team. With Ogerpon locked in, I decided to build Valiant with special attack in order to complement the team better. Booster energy and a speed boosting nature make Valiant blindingly fast, outspeeding anything without a boost of its own. Psychic Tera and Psychic as a coverage move give Valiant a strong move against poison types as well as fighting types this team can otherwise struggle against, with Aura Sphere and Moonblast just being good STAB special moves. Calm Mind is included in case Valiant gets a setup turn, but in practice, this isn't often, as its speed and frailty mean that it'd much rather just press an attack

1706347642874.png

Kingambit
Kingambit is the first bulky pokemon on the team, filling the role of bulky physical attacker. With steel's strong defensive typing and a generous HP pool, along with dark's immunity to psychic attacks, kingambit can be a genuinely difficult pokemon to remove from the field. Kowtow cleave is a solid STAB move, while sucker punch is helpful priority (albeit conditional). Combined with supreme overlord, this allows kingambit to prey on weakened pokemon in the late game. Leftovers increases this pokemon's already impressive survivability, allowing it to get value out of swords dance. Low kick is a coverage move that allows Kingambit to win the mirror, as well as inflict heavy damage on metagame threats like Archaludon. Flying is chosen as a defensive Tera, turning Kingambit's weaknesses of Ground, Fighting and Fire into an immunity, a resistance and a neutral hit. Immunity to ground is highly appreciated as Great Tusk is a very common pokemon in the metagame

1706348372815.png

Raging Bolt
Raging Bolt slots into this team as a bulky special attackers. While not as tanky as Kingambit, Bolt is usually able to absorb a neutral hit, as well as having some useful resistances to Fire, Grass, Electric and Flying, making Bolt a strong switch-in on many pokemon, including tera-flying Roaring Moon. Booster energy is used to generate value from Protosynthesis, increasing Bolt's strong special attack to absurd levels. Steel is selected as a defensive tera type, resisting 3 of Bolt's 4 weaknesses, though leaving an unfortunate weakness to ground. The dragon resistance is particularly useful, allowing bolt to hold in front of faster dragon types and inflict super-effective damage. Bolt's movepool consists of two decent STAB moves in thunderbolt and dragon pulse, along with volt switch as a utility pick and Draco Meteor as a powerful gambit, often OHKOing on neutral damage, but reversing the protosynthesis boost in the process.

1706349246635.png

Ting-Lu
Ting-Lu is this team's tank, able to take even super effective hits on the chin. Leftovers allow Ting-Lu to shrug off smaller attacks, and it can heal up higher damage by resting. Earthquake is Ting-Lu's primary means of dealing damage, with Heavy Slam reserved for those with a ground resistance/immunity. Sleep Talk can catch a lot of foes off guard when they use Ting-Lu's sleep turns to setup. Ghost Tera turns dark's typical weaknesses into resistances and immunities, and makes Ting-Lu neutral to most attacks, which is often enough considering this pokemon's impressive bulk

1706349454214.png

Glimmora
Glimmora is the final slot on this team, and while it is a decent special attacker in its own right, it fills the role of hazard/utility pokemon. Stealth Rock is this team's only hazard move, but is often useful for breaking focus sash or forcing suboptimal switches from opponents so they can clear, while mortal spin can clear opposing hazards. Power Gem and Sludge bomb are included as STAB moves, with sludge being particularly useful against opposing Hatterene, who are often lead against Glimmora due to their magic bounce ability. Focus Sash guarantees an action from Glimmora, as well as making the most of its Toxic Debris ability, adding toxic spikes as an additional hazard. Tera Grass is chosen as a counter to the Water and Ground type moves commonly used against Glimmora

Attachments

Hi! Welcome to Smogon! Since nobody else has done a rate (tbh its only been here for a few hours), I thought I'd pop one out. So when I look at your team, and your title, I see your trying to make an HO team. So since you've been using quite a few staple mons, I thought I'd do some optimizations and replace a few mons.

Big changes:

:ogerpon-wellspring: ------> :iron-boulder:

:ogerpon-wellspring: in my opinion, has been outclassed by :iron-boulder: on HO teams. With its better speed tier and access to :booster-energy:, it has become the bane of offense. However, :ogerpon-wellspring: is much better against bulky structures like Stall and Balance. I'm opting for a basic Swords Dance set.

Iron Boulder @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mighty Cleave
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

:ting-lu: ----> :dragonite:/:weavile:/:meowscarada:

Ok. This is the thing that stands out the most. In general, :ting-lu: finds its place in the metagame on bulky offense and balance structures as a bulky hazard setter. So I'm switching this to a strong :choice-band: user. Tera Normal espeed go brrrr. But seriously :dragonite: shits on most bulky structures with Tera Blast Flying and Tera Normal espeed helps against offensive structures. :weavile: is another option that pairs well with :glimmora:, and with :choice-band: Triple Axel cheeses its way past most pokemon. Same with :meowscarada:, however it has better coverage imo.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal/Flying
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch/Tera Blast

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ice/Dark
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Ice
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Small changes:

:kingambit:
So I think that the best :kingambit: set for this team is the offensive set. It helps break the late game, like it always does. This set utilizes :black-glasses:, Supreme Overlord, Tera Dark, and Swords Dance to break through everything in the endgame.

Kingambit @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

:raging-bolt:
This raging bolt set is ok, but I think a bulkier spread could benefit you better. I'm just going with the reccomended Calm Mind spread.

Raging Bolt @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 64 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderclap
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt

:glimmora:
I think that your :glimmora: set could use a teensy little bit of work, mostly moves.

Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Mortal Spin
- Earth Power
- Energy Ball

:iron-valiant:
I'm changing this set to a :choice-specs: set for a strong wallbreaker.

Iron Valiant @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

:ogerpon-wellspring:
If you want to keep :ogerpon-wellspring:, I recommend this set, as it is better at breaking through stall.

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ivy Cudgel
- Power Whip
- Encore

So this is my best shot at giving you a more potent HO team. Take any of the changes you want, and most importantly, have a nice day! :psyglad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)