How's my OU team look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm something of a rookie, there's no question about that, but here's the GenIV OU team I'm cooked up, mainly for use against friends (I know quite a few people who still play GenIV). Any advise/comments will be appriciated, thanks!

Lead Weavile
Pressure
Jolly
Expert Belt
HP/Att/Spe
58/252/200 (to outspeed timid 252Spe starmie)
Ice shard
Ice punch (a more fearsome attack for those 2x weak to ice)
Brick Break (I know low kick is generally advised, but I wish to KO houndoom switching into ice shard)
Pursuit
Pretty standard attacker really, deals with things such as Starmie, pesky Dragons, Aerodactyl, basically whatever is weak to its attacks (among which lie a number of otherwise deadly threats to the rest of the team).

Gyarados
Intimidate
Jolly
Lum Berry
Att/SpD/Spe
252/6/252
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Earthquake
Drangon Dance
Intended mostly to switch into Weaviles counters and either take them straight out or Dragon Dance up for an attempted sweep, also to absorb status with Lum Berry. Would it be worth switching Ice Fang for Outrage?

Dragonite
Inner Focus
Adamant
Life Orb
HP/Att/Spe
200/252/58 (not quite sure on the speed, I want to get the edge on those around the 80something speed range that lack speed investment but get plenty of bulk, any recommendations on any other figure I should go for (other than 200/58)?)
Dragon Claw
Fire Punch
Extremespeed
Dragon Dance
Intended to come in on a resisted attack or a greatly weakened opponent and set about either standard attacking, Dragon Dance for some faster and heavier hits, or Extremespeed for a revenge kill/finisher (or just give a quick whack to something sinister).

Machamp
No Guard
Adamant
Muscle Band (would leftovers be better?)
HP/Att/Def
252/252/6
Dynamicpunch
Stone Edge
Payback
Substitute
I'm sure this is a familiar sight, does what it does, no funny business here. Just takes a hit or 2 and dishes out pain and confusion.

Dodrio (yes that's right, the first pokemon seen in ep1, not on a TV or Ash's imagination XD)
Early Bird
Lonely
Focus Sash
Att/Spe
255/255
Drill Peck
Flail
Endeavor
Quick Attack
Yes that's right, flail AND F.E.A.R on a Dodrio! Minimal defenses to get down to 1HP when hit by something offensive, then smash stuff up. Works as an excellent Breloom counter due to Early Bird and Drill Peck (switch in on Breloom before it puts up a Substitute for 5/6 win chance, saving Gyarados's Lum Berry). Maximised base 110 attack with STAB flail at 1HP destroys just about anything that doesn't resist it, Endeavor for anything that may survive flail, and Quick Attacks to finish... perhaps slightly on the gimicky side, but it will certainly dish out the pain. I'm aware that it is likely to get revenge killed immediately, or rendered a 1-turn all-or-nothing by sandstorm, but used later in the match in sandstorms absence (basically when Breloom comes out or some whenever else seems to be an opportune moment) it may be able to avoid this, or atleast switch out and come back to strike again later. All that said it's one of my favorite pokemon which is just as important!

Gengar
Levitate
Timid
Unsure on item, will use Spell Tag if nothing better is suggested, any recommendations?
HP/SpA/Spe
6/252/252
Shadow Ball
Substitute
Taunt
Destiny Bond
This is intended simply to tackle something slower than Gengar that I can't reasonably tackle otherwise. Substitute to avoid status and other such nasty things, taunt to ensure the opponent has to attack, destiny bond to drag them down. I think I'm otherwise prepared for anything that is faster.

Btw, if it looks like I have a preferance for the originals... Well that's because I do hehe :)
Also thanks to whoever moved this to thread to the right place! I'll know for next time now ;)

Also I'm aware that this team is somewhat vulnerable to Stealth Rock, so when I suspect that I may be facing these I have this lined up as a substitute for Gyarados:

Blastoise
Torrent
Adamant
Leftovers
HP/Att/Spe
252/232/26 (again to get the jump on the base 80 speed group without speed investment)
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Zen Headbutt
Why Zen Headbutt? Simply to keep pesky fighting types (Machamp in particular) from having an easy switch-in to something that can't threaten them so they can set up with substitute/stat boosting etc. As for a STAB attack (with Torrent to boost it further)... who leaves something weak to water in against a Blastoise without confidence that they'll KO it first? I certainly wouldn't in the face of an expected STAB+Torrent Surf/Waterfall!

Hello, you should definitely edit your thread more, before a mod locks it. You can add sprites of the pokes and make it more amusing. The images can be found here. Overall good job.

Weavile should have Choice Band and Low Kick, Gyarados should not have Outrage, Stone Edge is better, Dragonite should have more speed, Machamp should have Leftovers, Gengar should have Leftovers, Blastoise should be special and run Ice Beam, Surf, Rapid Spin, and either Roar, Aqua Jet, or Forseight. Good team.

I advise replacing Your current Gengar set with the followig one to give you more attacking options

Leftovers

Timid

Moveset
EVs~ Substitute
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast
~ Hidden Power Fire / Hypnosis
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
I also strongly reccomend you replace your F.E.A.R. Dodrio with ANYTHING slightly less gimmicky (your Blastoise on the bench will do for a start)

At the moment 4 of your pokemon are weak to the rock type (and therefore Stealth Rock, the most common move in the game)

As you have already said, Blastoise would solve this problem and would definately be neccecary on this team. However, I believe you should replace Dodrio as He is just stupid and cheap and on the ladder people will quickly realise and be prepared for him.

You should also keep Ice fang over Outrage on Gyarados as it is a better move for coverage all round and then Gyarados can use his lum berry to absorb status rather than for curing self-inflicted status.

Good team, but if I were you, I'd add a little more detail to your Pokemon, before a Nazi, elitist, my-penis-is-bigger-than-yours-because-I'm-better-at-Pokemon-than-you, mod locks your thread.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
can we not bump threads that are well over a month old? its been happening recently and theres a certain tolerence bumping over the rule set, unless it can throw as much with its mouth as much as it plays in the metagame and is explored properly to find the right changes necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)