How do I sketch Substitute on my Smeargle?!?

Hey,
the Question I need help awnsering is how to sketch substitute on Smeargle in Generation 2 ( Pokemon Crystal )

I have tried to use a wild ditto to make it transform into my pokemon that had substitute, then switch in Smeargle and sketch it, but when the transformed ditto gets sub up I cant sketch it, and if I try to false swipe it it runs out of subs (3) before it has low HP enough to fail Substitute and usees struggle and faints.....Help please.

If I can't find a reasonable method i might just go with spikes instead, got Spore,Agility,False Swipe & Baton pass atm just need to remove false swipe and lvl to 81 to learn second to last sketch.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
I have tried to use a wild ditto to make it transform into my pokemon that had substitute, then switch in Smeargle and sketch it, but when the transformed ditto gets sub up I cant sketch it, and if I try to false swipe it it runs out of subs (3) before it has low HP enough to fail Substitute and usees struggle and faints.....Help please.
Not really a GSC game expert but I think it it can work if ditto copies a pokemon (with substitute) slower than your smeargle, and if you break the substitute with Future Sight. I tried to simulate this scenario in battle, and it should look like this:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-2029115501
(Sketch fails when used in link battles but this should work in game I believe)
(Zubat clicked whirlwind here but sub would have worked too, since it's still slower)

EDIT: I looked it up and apparently you can't sketch a transformed Pokemon. The only other way I see it is finding a substitute pokemon in the game and pp stall all its other moves (or be lucky with what it clicks)

Last edited:
Since Ditto won't work, you could make a wild Smeargle learn Substitute by using it with less than 25% health and then sketch it from the wild Smeargle. Wild Mr. Mime won't work since it's at too high of a level to know Substitute. According to the disassembly, the only trainer with Substitute is Schoolboy Chad on Route 38. His Mr. Mime will be at a low enough level to know it in his initial battle and first rematch, but not after that.

Last edited:
Ok, I will try to make a wild smeargle sketch a failed substitute, then sketch his sub after depleting its HP down to 1.

posting my results after some testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)