SM Doubles OU Hoopa-U TailRoom

Hoopa-U has always been one of my favourite pokemon in doubles, specifically offensive trickroom. However in this meta where every team has a tapu and incineroar being everywhere its been kinda hard to find a use for hoopa. I knew I wouldn't be able to use hoopa for fullroom because of its faility and lack of utility. However the concept of tailroom came to mind. With hoopa being able to counter tailwind offense or other very fast teams but isn't relied upon for the teams speed control. So I got to building.

First I needed the first team mate for hoopa. Tapu fini seemed to fit the best in terms of synergizing with hoopa. Fini can deal with dark types like incineroar and hoopa can beat poison types like amoongus and give speed control. Misty terrain allows hoopa to use a misty seed to boost spdef to make setting up easier and frees up magician early to steel items. Calm mind fini makes the most sense because I want to be putting as much offensive pressure on as possible (but specs would be a bit much lol) and allows fini to act as a blanket check to alot of threats.

The next thing I needed was a fake out user. Even though psychic terrain is a thing, I have fini and it really helps hoopa. However alot of good ones share a weakness with hoopa which would make lead matcgups difficult. But I finally settled on incineroar. He shares no weaknesses with any of the other members and provides fakeout and intimidate support for hoopa. He also starts a FWG core and has access to u-turn.

Next I needed a tapu counter and a grass type. At first amoonguss seemed like a great pick, however its spore is blocked by misty terrain and it can't beat lele. So my next pick was ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is an unkillable tank in doubles.with double leech seed and pinch beeries ferro will stop almost anything. And is very importantly still has an offensive pressence which helps keep momentum.

Now at this point I was lacking a few things.
1: a ground immunity
2: tailwind users/abusers
3: a mega and a z move

This gave me a few limitations in the mons I wanted to use but I finally decided mega mence was my best option. Fills my mega, ground immune, tailwind user, finishes the "fantasy" core (this was by accident) and provides intimidate pre mega. I'm quite a big fan of having double intimidate on this team because it allows me to easily deal with big threats like meta gross. It also allows fini to set up easier and hoopa set trickroom because they both boost their spdef. Mence also can act as a late game cleaner with high speed and damage output if need be.

This last spot was kinda hard to figure out. I knew I wanted something fast because at this point the team felt too centralised around getting up trickroom and i wanted reliable speed. This mon is the most likely to change because there wasn't much thaught put into it. Originally i liked the idea of raichu with fake out and lightning rod. Being able to take away electric attacks for fini and provide more fake out support with a 110 base speed. But it was too weak and didn't do enough. So i decided to use zeraora. Zeraora does basically the same thing but faster and stronger. Electrium Z does alot of damage to neutral targets and hp ice allows it to threaten lando chomp and zygarde. CC lets it do damage to ferro but maybe something like volt switch or protect is a better option.

Weaknesses:

These are things I've noticed that the team struggles with through testing and want to fix.

Fullroom - Especially the porygon staka bulu team going around, the team has a very hard time keeping speed control and has to take big hits from them.

Gothitelle - being trapped limits the teams ability to improve its defensive matchup which is a large component of how the team functions. Gaining speed control and constant pressure can work but it gets difficult if you can't take out gothitelle.

Team: https://pokepast.es/7dcde94c0b2ef7d2

Sorry for the bad format, I ran out of time and had to do it on my phone.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hey Cody323, sorry for the late reply, but nice team! I think it looks very solid, it's quite reminiscent of some teams from earlier on in the SM era. A few things I could suggest or point out, perhaps:

Firstly, I think you have the wrong paste linked in your post? The pokepaste you linked has Pikachu instead of Zeraora (which is a cute pick but Zeraora is definitely better here). If you do go for Zeraora, I think given what you've said you're weak to, Volt Switch could be a very valuable option, helping with Gothitelle and also generally giving your team more mobility, allowing it to make better use of its defensive core. Fake Out is also very good here; the format generally has a more aggressive feel to it than it did in early-mid SM when the Fini/Ferro/Hoopa/Mence core was going around, so an extra Fake Out helps a lot with getting Calm Minds up.

With all that in mind, I don't think that Electrium Z is the best item for this set. Since Zeraora isn't super strong in the first place, Electrium Z seems like it could net you an OHKO on Tapu Fini but not much else, and since you already have Ferrothorn on the team I think being able to chip it is useful enough. If you go with something like Fake Out / Volt Switch / Snarl / Plasma Fists, an Assault Vest gives you some reasonable bulk to switch in and out to disrupt Trick Room turns with Fake Out; alternatively, you could fit Taunt on the set to more directly hinder Trick Room, but then you lose the ability to run Assault Vest, so that's a toss-up.

While I think Zeraora is a good choice, it's also worth noting that you don't have a ton of immediate potential on your team; Tapu Fini is a bit weak before a Calm Mind, while Hoopa-U isn't really able to do much without some sort of speed control. If you really want to use your Z-move slot, you could consider Tapu Koko, which is probably the premier offensive Electric-type in the tier. This would, of course, probably worsen your TR matchup, but if you want an offensive option here it's the best you can do.

Here's the site dex Zeraora set, for convenience:
Zeraora @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 128 HP / 116 Atk / 72 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Snarl
- Volt Switch

Hope I helped a bit! Feel free to reply to this thread/post if you have any further questions, and I hope you stick around DOU and have fun with it :)

Hey, thanks for the reply!
Sorry for the wrong pokepaste lol, the zeraora was just maxed attack max speed, hasty with Fake Out - Plasma Fists - HP Ice - Close Combat with Electrium Z if you were curious.

I agree that the standard Zeraora set provides a lot more utility for the team with fake out, volt switch and snarl. I've got a game here (on the lower ladder, but still interesting) where I used that set against the sample Gothitelle team. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-904752122
Volt switch really put in work, whereas my Zeraora set would have been dead weight.

But I've found another problem, however. Hoopa-U (even though the team was originally built around him) doesn't feel like it does enough. It's hard enough to get Hoopa in to set up trick room safely, but even when it is set up, my team doesn't really feel like it can utilize it very well, with most hard hitters being fast and defensive pokemon being slow. Also, Hoopa-U by itself is kinda lackluster at best. It's frail, slow and its damage output with only dual stabs isn't that great. I would appreciate you're input as to what I should put into that slot because it feels like I'm only playing with 5 pokemon. Possibly something more offensive, I was thinking maybe z move kyurem but I'm not too sure. Thanks for the rate anyway!

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hey, thanks for the reply!
Sorry for the wrong pokepaste lol, the zeraora was just maxed attack max speed, hasty with Fake Out - Plasma Fists - HP Ice - Close Combat with Electrium Z if you were curious.

I agree that the standard Zeraora set provides a lot more utility for the team with fake out, volt switch and snarl. I've got a game here (on the lower ladder, but still interesting) where I used that set against the sample Gothitelle team. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-904752122
Volt switch really put in work, whereas my Zeraora set would have been dead weight.

But I've found another problem, however. Hoopa-U (even though the team was originally built around him) doesn't feel like it does enough. It's hard enough to get Hoopa in to set up trick room safely, but even when it is set up, my team doesn't really feel like it can utilize it very well, with most hard hitters being fast and defensive pokemon being slow. Also, Hoopa-U by itself is kinda lackluster at best. It's frail, slow and its damage output with only dual stabs isn't that great. I would appreciate you're input as to what I should put into that slot because it feels like I'm only playing with 5 pokemon. Possibly something more offensive, I was thinking maybe z move kyurem but I'm not too sure. Thanks for the rate anyway!
aaaaa im late again

I don't have a ton of experience using Z-move Kyurem-B except on pretty specific teams, but off an initial reaction that set sounds like it makes a lot of sense here. If you find yourself missing the TR for some reason (though I doubt you will), Diancie could be a potential option as a somewhat offensive TR setter which mostly works inside and outside of TR.

Good luck!

Reactions: TPP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)