Have a question? Ask it here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there a collective name for those berries that restore 50% of a mon's health when it's below 25%? Like Figy, Iapapa, etc.
Not that I know of; they probably just have to be described.
Is it possible to have any input on uploaded analyses?
Yeah! The place depends on what kind of input you have, though:
Small Objective Changes thread is for minor, objective things like typos, missing punctuation, etc
Small Subjective Changes thread is for suggesting a different EV spread, adding something to Checks and Counters, etc
If you want to discuss a bigger change, you can do that in the metagame-specific subforum; they should each have an analysis discussion thread. For example, here's OU's discussion thread.

I'm trying to build my competitive team that consists of Mimikyu, Midday Lycanroc, Greninja, Alolan Raichu, and Blaziken. I'm trying to decide who to include as my final member, I have it down to Sceptile and Venusaur. I would really rather have mega Blaziken than Mega Sceptile or Mega Venusaur, but Venusaur's mega ability seems really compelling. However, everyone else on my team is a speed demon so Venusaur would just be left in the dust. Also, I am considering Sceptile but the biggest turn off is that I can't tutor dragon pulse to it. So should I have a Sceptile or a Mega Venusaur? even though I'd much rather save the mega evolution for Blaziken.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to build my competitive team that consists of Mimikyu, Midday Lycanroc, Greninja, Alolan Raichu, and Blaziken. I'm trying to decide who to include as my final member, I have it down to Sceptile and Venusaur. I would really rather have mega Blaziken than Mega Sceptile or Mega Venusaur, but Venusaur's mega ability seems really compelling. However, everyone else on my team is a speed demon so Venusaur would just be left in the dust. Also, I am considering Sceptile but the biggest turn off is that I can't tutor dragon pulse to it. So should I have a Sceptile or a Mega Venusaur? even though I'd much rather save the mega evolution for Blaziken.
Hey just to let you know that this isn't the right place to ask for teambuilding questions, this is for questions about the analyses being written. It's better to post a question like this in the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread in the forum of the tier/format you are playing (since Blaziken is included I assume Battle Spot). Also both just to let you know, Mega Sceptile and Mega Blaziken haven't had their megastones released yet therefore leaving them unreleased and unusable for now, meaning you're left with Mega Venusaur as your only mega option.

Zygarde-50%'s analysis isn't showing up? Only the one for 10% is. Speaking off, are 10% and 50% tiered separately? If so, I think each of them should have their own page, like with Rotom.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Zygarde-50%'s analysis isn't showing up? Only the one for 10% is. Speaking off, are 10% and 50% tiered separately? If so, I think each of them should have their own page, like with Rotom.
To add onto this, the Greninja analysis is in a similar situation (Ash-Gren is online, Gren is supposed to be uploaded but not there).

EDIT: Actually different situation, and I can answer your question. The Zygarde analysis hasn't been uploaded yet, whereas the Zygarde-10% has. My Greninja question still stands though.

Zygarde-50 isn't showing up because it's just out of GP (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/zygarde.3592529/) and hasn't been uploaded yet. I don't know about Greninja Vs Ash-gren issue above, but even if there aren't issues 50% shouldn't be up yet.

E: Tiering desperately doesn't give them their own page, otherwise, say, Mega Gengar and Gengar would have their own pages. Whatever the rule is, it isn't that.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Zygarde-50 isn't showing up because it's just out of GP (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/zygarde.3592529/) and hasn't been uploaded yet. I don't know about Greninja Vs Ash-gren issue above, but even if there aren't issues 50% shouldn't be up yet.

E: Tiering desperately doesn't give them their own page, otherwise, say, Mega Gengar and Gengar would have their own pages. Whatever the rule is, it isn't that.
Pokemon normally get separate pages if they're out-of-battle forme changes (alongside some exceptions), though (so yes, they're tiered separately and have separate pages).

Also, Colonel M should be posting very soon about the Greninja issue.

i fucking hate colonel m

Hi everyone, I'm wondering what's the best EV training for a Gentle Silvally (every IV is at 31 (thanks to Hyper Training) but Defense). I searched for it in the special thread, but I did not find any set with the Gentle nature. Help me please!

Hello, never used this before so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place etc. But why do tons of pokemon have blank entries? I mean pokemon like Meowstic male for example. Surely any set is better than no set, yet you've left it blank? I could easily fill in hundreds of pokemon sets out of common sense, yet you haven't because?

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Hello, never used this before so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place etc. But why do tons of pokemon have blank entries? I mean pokemon like Meowstic male for example. Surely any set is better than no set, yet you've left it blank? I could easily fill in hundreds of pokemon sets out of common sense, yet you haven't because?
They either don't have an uploaded analysis at the moment or aren't appropriately tiered to warrant an analysis yet, or they're just not viable anywhere to be eligible for an analysis. Hope this helps (also the condescension was not necessary)!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi anyone happen to know who has done the most analyses on smogon out of curiosity.
I'm pretty sure Komodo has. If not him the top analysis contributors to my knowledge are:
Komodo
ShinyAzelf
myself
alexwolf
comatthew6
november blue
trc
silentverse
somalia
snorlaxe
boltsandbombers

Interested myself now so I'll probably do some research and get back to you with a definitive answer.

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the movesets smogon recommends on pokemon. They always use moves with set outcomes, but I never see anything like Present or Assist. I get that it's a bit of a gamble (like using metronome is out of the question), but doesn't the reward makes it worth the risk? Present can do quite the damage with only a 10% chance to heal the opponent and Assist can give your pokemon access to great damaging and healing moves (considered one of your other pokemon has it in its moveset).

I have a question regarding the movesets smogon recommends on pokemon. They always use moves with set outcomes, but I never see anything like Present or Assist. I get that it's a bit of a gamble (like using metronome is out of the question), but doesn't the reward makes it worth the risk? Present can do quite the damage with only a 10% chance to heal the opponent and Assist can give your pokemon access to great damaging and healing moves (considered one of your other pokemon has it in its moveset).
Hey, welcome to Smogon!

I wouldn't say that movesets always use moves with "set outcomes", because moves with a considerable chance to miss, such as Stone Edge are common in analyses. However, the two moves you mentioned would be considered too luck-reliant to be mentioned in an analysis. In the case of Present, even if you get that 10% chance and roll 120 Base Power every time, it's only barely worth using over something like Double Edge. Assist on the other hand is super inconsistent, basically every Pokemon would prefer just using that moveslot on a more reliable coverage move, instead of just having to rely on getting insanely lucky and rolling a specific teammate's move.

Hopefully that clears things up!

Thanks for the info! Guess I like to take a gamble during my battles xD
If you're ever bored, try Assist in combo with Prankster for good laughs!

Reactions: Wob
are all tier decisions for sumo final? because if so things like gastrodon, articuno and charizard (theres probably even better notable mentions) being put in the same tier as SPINDA is an absolute joke.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
What happens if a finished analysis, say Guzzlord in PU, rises to NU and gets an analysis, and then drops again. Would there need to be another analysis done or can you just use the previous one?

What happens if a finished analysis, say Guzzlord in PU, rises to NU and gets an analysis, and then drops again. Would there need to be another analysis done or can you just use the previous one?
The situation you describe doesn't immediately invalidate the original analysis. We've actually seen this happen already with Nidoqueen, if I recall correctly; it rose to UU for a month, then fell back to RU. Nidoqueen's role in RU was the same and the metagame hadn't changed enough to warrant a revamp, so some minor edits were all that were necessary. Of course, if a Pokemon rises and takes, say, half a year to return, a new analysis is probably called for.

ok so why do we separate megas and their base form? in almost every case they are completely different from their base form. we separate stuff like greninja and ash greninja because they're vastly different, just as zygarde 100% is vastly different from zygarde 50%, but we don't separate regular kangaskhan and mega even though they're not the same pokemon at all. why are megas treated differently than other forme changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)