Gen 2 GSC Team by Borat

RMT Staff

archetype
is an official Team Rater

Introduction

We've been looking around to add new teams to our old generations archive, and as far as GSC teams go, a lot of players have been praising Borat's contributions. This team can be found in his in-depth guide to GSC (which you can check out here). This guide offers everything that someone getting into GSC could ask for. We feel that archiving this team will not only bring more attention to Borat's work, but also showcase one of the most iconic and solid GSC teams through the years.

Everything but this introduction has been taken straight from Borat's guide, seeing as who better than him to explain his choices and each Pokemon's role?

With that said: Borat, take it away!

The Team

Zapdos
@ Leftovers ** Lively
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder​

This is probably the most important member of the team, despite playing a pseudo "support" role. It's probably the best form of instant offense in the game, and an all-around threat. It'll usually end up sweeping late game. By taking out Raikou, you take out one of the only Zapdos stoppers. And with Spikes in play, Zapdos does quite a number to Snorlax, not to mention Snorlax is pretty occupied with Vaporeon and Exeggutor already. Not quite a runaway #2 best in GSC as Jorgen had pointed out; Raikou is still in close contention and largely meta-based as to which is the superior electric legendary worthy of #2.

Alternate options: HP Water is always an option, and really a toss up with Ice. Fire is becoming more and more viable as players are turning to the Exeggutor + Steelix combo, but it's still not quite worth it. Thunderbolt is definitely a superior option if Vaporeon ever becomes a problem. As far as Pokemon replacements go, Raikou is always a possible alternative, but Zapdos edges out Raikou on this team in my opinion.

Cloyster (M) @ Leftovers ** Emma
- Clamp
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Surf
Clamp was a late addition, and one I found to be quite nice. Those looking to "take" an explosion with Tyranitar or Forretress would be pleasantly surprised. Plus, if Forretress thinks it can set up Spikes and get away with taking a single Surf, it needs to think again. Clamp a Snorlax that thinks it can get a free attack off while you set up, only to have Cloyster explode instead. Spikes for Snorlax? Sounds like a good trade to me. Cloyster also clamps other things that might be annoying. Vaporeon, Exeggutor, Machamp and Blissey are a few common things that Cloyster outspeeds. Plus, in a pinch, you can trade for unwary Misdreavus which think that they have a free Mean Look opportunity. Just keep in mind that Clamp has 2-5 turn duration and not the best of accuracy. Regardless, how often do you use the 4th move on Cloyster anyway?

Alternative options: Toxic or Ice Beam over Clamp is pretty straightforward. Toxic is pretty good, and gives you a small shot at keeping Spikes down versus Starmie provided your prediction skills are good enough. Ice Beam gives you that freeze chance and hits Zapdos hard. More importantly, it also takes Exeggutor out of the equation. Reflect is another possible option for pseudo-passing in case you plan on keeping Cloyster for a while. Screech can be used for pseudo-hazing and a last ditch shot against Curselax. You can combine it with Clamp to make it that much more effectively. And finally, Icy Wind gives you better Explosion control, and another shot at keeping Spikes down vs Starmie. There are no Pokemon replacements worth mentioning, until Starmie becomes at least the #5 most used Pokemon in GSC or something.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers ** Watson
- Curse
- Double-Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
If it wins, it's usually as the last Pokemon. I have enough Explosion users to force a last Pokemon matchup with Snorlax if the opportunity arises, but for the most part I tend to avoid using Snorlax except when I need a defensive breather. Sleep Talk, Curse and Double-Edge give me the best shot in Snorlax mirror matches, which are really common, especially since I'm pretty reckless with Steelix. This is definitely the most defensive Snorlax of the bunch.

However, the fact that I almost actively avoid using Snorlax when using this set is a testament to how lacklustre this set is offensively. Pretty often, I switch to either 3 attack Mixed Snorlax with Selfdestruct, Belly Drum Lax, and even Fire Blast Curselax for more offensive options. The idea here is that with Snorlax, you can really dictate at what pace the team will play.

Alternate options: As Borat explains, the Snorlax can be adapted to your needs, and can go from the all-out Boom set to the Belly Drum one. The Lovely Kiss sets aren't out of question either, so it's really up to your personal preference or what you're expecting to face.

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers ** Blake
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Roar​

For a while, I had Rock Slide over Explosion simply because I felt Steelix was too important defensively to casually blow up. Then I realised that I really needed Steelix to contribute offensively, or else I'd lack one of the best Explosion baiters in the game. It KOs anything from Suicune to Miltank. Steelix is probably better than even Exeggutor at opening games up.

Alternate options: None really, but I do like Rock Slide every once in a while for Skarmorys that switch in looking to wall Steelix, only to find themselves facing a 999 Attack Steelix packing Rock Slide.

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers ** Johansson
- Growth
- Hydro Pump/Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk​

Hydro Pump was definitely a late addition, and I'm still at odds as to whether it's actually better than Surf. In general though, if you're awake, you'll appreciate the extra power. When you're using Sleep Talk, the misses can really come back to bite you. Hydro Pump gives it a better (not a guarantee by any means) shot versus Snorlax. It's also far better against Zapdos, and moderately better against Raikou, depending on how much residual damage you can set up. As a general rule of thumb, against teams which Vaporeon would've had an easy time against anyway, Surf is probably better to guarantee the win. But in cases where Vaporeon is struggling on its own to break through an Electric-type or a Snorlax, then the extra power will be appreciated. Against teams where Vaporeon is nigh on worthless (Sleep Talk Zapdos, Roar Suicune, Curselax, Light Screen Starmie, Light Screen Blissey or Kingdra), then... well, does it really matter? Surf is definitely better vs Light Screen Blisseys though. You'll find PP is definitely an issue for Vaporeon, and it's really annoying when you just can't nail that Hydro Pump against the likes of Nidoking.

Again, Vaporeon's defensive qualities should not be underestimated. Let Vaporeon take sleep moves if Zapdos is playing an important role. Let Vaporeon take the Explosion from Cloyster / Exeggutor / Forretress if need be. Let Vaporeon anchor versus some hard hitters. Briefly put Charizard on hold, weaken Machamp, etc etc.

Alternate options: Vaporeon was the most substituted slot, as mentioned before. Raikou or Gengar are great options, depending on the metagame. Curse Heracross is pretty great as well. However, Vaporeon probably offers the most well-rounded benefits, offensively and defensively. As far as moves go, Baton Pass is an interesting alternative.

Exeggutor (M) @ Leftovers ** Scarlett
- Explosion
- Giga Drain/HP Fire
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder/Stun Spore​

Another Pokemon that can really dictate the pace of the team. Switching up the set, perhaps to include Leech Seed or even Synthesis, adds a ton of longevity to Exeggutor, and enables the team to play at a much slower pace and grind it out against the best of them. Exeggutor nails Zapdos with ridiculous frequency, and albeit because more and more Exeggutor are going with Giga Drain over HP Fire, Skarmory is becoming a more and more common answer. Turn 1 Explosions used to effective, but not so much anymore. The drop in Umbreon usage certainly hasn't hurt Exeggutor either. Avoiding status is pretty crucial, so against an HP Water / Thunder electric, don't switch into Thunders recklessly. They do almost 30% damage anyway.

Alternate options: HP Fire can be used if Tyranitar drops in usage and / or Forretress / Skarmory become more popular. It's also useful for Exeggutor mirror mathces. Leech Seed is another option if you’re running Lovely Kiss on Snorlax, as it gives you a moderate shot of beating Skarmory on your own without HP Fire.

Closing comments

Interestingly enough, I went full circle here if you take a look at the process. And from the above process, you can see just how flexible the team can be in terms of going from full blown offense to full blown defense. I's important to treat it that way. I can't emphasise how important it is to at the very least, SWITCH UP YOUR SETS, if not switch up some Pokemon altogether. You have to at least consider Earthquake Snorlax for Gengar, Ice Beam Cloyster for Zapdos, Rock Slide Steelix for Skarmory, etc. Furthermore, switching up offense and being unpredictable is never a bad thing.

If Tyranitar isn't insanely popular, Gengar should be one of the first go-to replacements for just about anything on the team (specifically over Vaporeon or Exeggutor slot. MAYBE Steelix, but probably not).

Don't rely on Vaporeon, as it's not the focal point of this team. Don't try to set up any one Pokemon all the time. It's often different against various teams, and that's the beauty of this team. Too many teams often rely on a "setup Snorlax", a plan that often takes much longer than it should in some matchups, and is nigh-impossible in others. Sometimes, setting up Zapdos is the best move, sometimes Snorlax; it's not always Vaporeon, with Explosion users doing the dirty work. Any one Pokemon has the potential to sweep in any given game, and you just have to find out which one that is. The team functions just fine without say, Snorlax or Vaporeon. Much of the defense lies in a combination of typing and stats, as well as the sheer offensive potential. Relentless threats help keep control in your hands, forcing your opponent to switch often and never giving them a chance to build any momentum.

Credits

Created by: Borat
Written by: Borat & Reymedy
Grammar checked by: IronBullet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)