Grubbin, Charjabug, Vikavolt Discussion

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Vikavolt is going to be great in VGC17!

Vikavolt w/ (Assault Vest)
Levitate
Modest, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Discharge/Thunderbolt, Bug Buzz, Hidden Power (Ice), Electro Web/Volt Switch

Offensively it's like Heatran. But you don't have to worry as much about 1HKOs!

Vikavolt is going to be great in VGC17!

Vikavolt w/ (Assault Vest)
Levitate
Modest, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Discharge/Thunderbolt, Bug Buzz, Hidden Power (Ice), Electro Web/Volt Switch

Offensively it's like Heatran. But you don't have to worry as much about 1HKOs!
I was thinking the same thing actually. Slow so it can be used in TR, great SpA, good coverage thanks to HP Ice. Slight bulk issue but it's still going to hit hard. Not sure if I'd use AV though but I guess it depends on my team.

Is there any possibility that there a day one patch that makes the base stats of these 'mon not terrible to avoid something like this from letting literally everything out of the bag?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why are people suggesting Ass Vest?

You don't just slap it on something expecting to make it viable. It needs to be able to abuse it in some fashion, which I don't think Vikavolt is capable of.

Go read that old Smog article about AV and see if Vikavolt has any qualities listed that would make it a good user.

Is there any possibility that there a day one patch that makes the base stats of these 'mon not terrible to avoid something like this from letting literally everything out of the bag?
Not likely at all.

Especially considering they can't update the strategy guides and pokedex guides while they're already in shipments.

Why are people suggesting Ass Vest?

You don't just slap it on something expecting to make it viable. It needs to be able to abuse it in some fashion, which I don't think Vikavolt is capable of.

Go read that old Smog article about AV and see if Vikavolt has any qualities listed that would make it a good user.
We are talking AV in doubles, not singles.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
We are talking AV in doubles, not singles.
I'm not really a doubles person but that still sounds lazy to me.

@ The patch convo: GF doesn't patch anything unless a major bug is discovered, like the Lumiose Save glitch.

I'm not really a doubles person but that still sounds lazy to me.

@ The patch convo: GF doesn't patch anything unless a major bug is discovered, like the Lumiose Save glitch.
It's an option though with that Special Attack, a Z-Move or Life Orb would be more likely

Not all is bad, having mediocre speed is actually better than having just average since it means it can work under TR, not all hope is lost.

I'm actually pretty interested in Charjabug. Its defenses are pretty good with an Eviolite, and it can make use of some support moves like Thunder Wave, Mud Slap, Light Screen, Toxic, or String Shot, while its partner wails on the opponents with Hyper Voice or something. Sort of like a passive Helping Hand, but just for special moves.

Vikavolt seems like it could be a fun wallbreaker to use in the lower tiers. Having crappy speed sucks, but its typing only gives it a handful of weaknesses and its OK defenses will most likely allow Vikavolt to survive at least one hit before going down (especially since Vikavolt can afford to run HP investment due to its bad speed). Roost + 3 attacks Vikavolt seems like it could be scary since Thunderbolt / Energy ball / Bug Buzz grants almost perfect neutral coverage and its typing gives it switch in opportunities vs the myriad of defensive Grass, Water, and Steel types that plague the lower tiers. Stab Thunderbolt and Bug Buzz coming from Modest base 145 Special Attack will definitely be enough to scare most walls out, while Roost can heal any damage acquired.

It's defenses aren't the worst at least on the physical side, and it does have an immunity and 3 useful resistances. Though considering Escavalier exist and is in many ways flat out better than Vikivolt it's hard to say how far this guy will go.

But the question becomes: what does it set up on? Its defense isnt the greatest and it hates special attackers. Thats my only real problem with agility on it
Bulky waters that are forced to switch? Something that is Choice locked into a ground move?

Life Orb Agility will be good. Probably not OU worthy but it could do work as a late game sweeper.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Tbh, it doesn't make sense for vikavolt to be this slow, I mean yeah special attack is great but, still bug is a pretty vulnerable typing. I don't want to rant but seriously base 43 speed for a electric type is just slow af(with or without agility). It'll be RU/NU most probably.
It might be effective in TR in doubles with that special attack but lets be honest bug/electric isn't exactly meta-defining coverage as you are stopped by most common mon in the metagame, lando-t. Really hope it gets a better ability to patch this up, it looks rad though.

The stats for Vikavolt are the single biggest disappointment I have with Sun and Moon. Never thought Ribombee would be the most competitively viable new bug type.

I'm crying right now.

Edit: I'ts been over 12 hours and I'm still crying. The shock is JUST too much to handle. Never for a second I'd thought it would have below 70 speed. If only speed and attack were reversed it wouldn't be great but still more viable. I'm still gonna use it it's just too awesome not too even though its speed shattered my heart.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)