Gods and Followers

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head

A Gods and followers banner :)
Sorry for being such a bummer right now, but this banner was stolen from someone's art page on a different site (or from google) and "Gods and Followers" was just slapped onto there. This could lead to some plagiarism problems. Also, while I do think it looks decent, I'd prefer a banner that points out some of the most viable gods such as Mega Salamence or Darkrai, and not a banner that just has every legendary Pokemon, which completely veers the whole viability spectrum out of the way for new players.

also ill be posting a team soon :)

Sorry for being such a bummer right now, but this banner was stolen from someone's art page on a different site (or from google) and "Gods and Followers" was just slapped onto there. This could lead to some plagiarism problems. Also, while I do think it looks decent, I'd prefer a banner that points out some of the most viable gods such as Mega Salamence or Darkrai, and not a banner that just has every legendary Pokemon, which completely veers the whole viability spectrum out of the way for new players.

also ill be posting a team soon :)
I agree with you, but to be fair I also didn't draw the current banner either (the artist is linked below). Always open to changing it if people have art skills, though!

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Let me join in on the train of dumping teams :P

This is a primal kyogre team with which I was #1 of the ladder for like 40% of the entire ladder duration. I've only lost with it due to either playing really terribly (which I do) or by getting haxed to shit so I'd say it's a more than decent team.

It's built for setting up for a pogre sweep late-game. It's a defensive behemoth compared to most ou mons. With enough defense investment and a calm mind up, barely anything can get through it and hopefully the things that can have been eliminated by then. With almost all defense investment, most things don't even 3hko it. Special mons can be beaten through calm mind and an insane SpD stat.

Pogre works really well with politoed to time rain turns. It might seem like a disadvantage that it stops the rain from working but in fact you can switch into toad either sacking it or switching it out for later use and you'll immediately have 8 turns of rain again, regardless of what the rain counter was at before. This allows you to set up sweeps quite nicely with either swampert or kingdra.
Politoed should mainly be used to set up rain and encore a possible sweeper. There's a bunch of firepower in the back so if something gets encored into setup there'll be something that can at least 2hko it afterwards. It can also force the opponent to attack and kill you quickly, giving you a bunch of rain turns to work with.

Swampert and kingdra are the main ways of smashing holes in opposing teams and abusing the rain. Keldeo serves as a nice glue to prevent stall teams from switching in and out between physical/special walls, stalling out rain turns.
Protect is quite important on swampert and allows you to not have to lead out with it.
Kingdra is capable of killing mence even at -2 with draco after rocks so don't worry about it setting up after you've used a draco. Draco meteor is usually better than outrage but outrage can be used after a draco has already been dropped.

Empoleon serves as an important last member in that it stops other gods and scary things from setting up. It usually has enough bulk to survive any hit, but sash is often important in a meta where mons can have insane power. Ice beam is chosen over a water move to deal with all the dragons. Plus I have enough water stab on my team.

Kyogre (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 20 SpA / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Encore

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 64 Atk / 216 SpA / 228 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Hydro Pump
- Waterfall

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Empoleon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 8 SpA / 160 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
[\hide]

Last edited:
Reactions: Mq
Updated the team archive with InfernapeTropius11's teams and Knuckstrike's. Was putting it off because the word count got too high, so I split it between 2 posts :P

Anyone have Mega Lucario, Zekrom, Mega Blaziken or Shaymin-Sky teams? It would be cool to have teams from all the top 20 most-used gods. (EDIT: And a better Aegislash team because I made the one in the archive before this was playable lol)

Updated the team archive with InfernapeTropius11's teams and Knuckstrike's. Was putting it off because the word count got too high, so I split it between 2 posts :P

Anyone have Mega Lucario, Zekrom, Mega Blaziken or Shaymin-Sky teams? It would be cool to have teams from all the top 20 most-used gods. (EDIT: And a better Aegislash team because I made the one in the archive before this was playable lol)
Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Knock Off

Ninetales @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Hypnosis
- Will-O-Wisp

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Blue Flare

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

I used this one a bunch. Mostly pre OMoTM, but I reached the top 100 or so on an alt with it. It's not amazing, but its really unprepared for.

dhelmise

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Knock Off

Ninetales @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Hypnosis
- Will-O-Wisp

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Blue Flare

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

I used this one a bunch. Mostly pre OMoTM, but I reached the top 100 or so on an alt with it. It's not amazing, but its really unprepared for.
The team looks good, but I would switch out Ninetales for something else, as Keldeo is almost necessary in Mega Blaziken teams to KO Ground-types and take care of Water-types, and its Water STAB moves aren't very good when weakened in the sun. Maybe Terrak instead?

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, Ik. Not perfectly viable, but best grass god. I just like beating it. You should nom it for c.

Also good, TEG shouldn't get banned.
Ferrothorn for ★★ Rank

Honestly the Best Grass type god defensively, however it has huge flaws in being terribly weak to fire, having a huge case of 6PSS, as well as needing to run heatran and venusaur-mega to check M-Blaze and other fires.

Also it can easily beat pdon teams with hazard stacking and occa berry leech seed.
I'll try to grab some replays from aqua.

Seconding this. It loses to chickens (obviously) and can be overpowered, but it is really good.
Its the best grass god period to be honest.

This is the one case where having a second type is worth not being ubers.

Reactions: OM
Ferrothorn for ★★ Rank

Honestly the Best Grass type god defensively, however it has huge flaws in being terribly weak to fire, having a huge case of 6PSS, as well as needing to run heatran and venusaur-mega to check M-Blaze and other fires.

Also it can easily beat pdon teams with hazard stacking and occa berry leech seed.
I'll try to grab some replays from aqua.
Glad to finally see a non-Uber nomination! I need 2-3 replays and a the import of the team you used before I rank it, but I think it has potential in a meta lacking a lot of Grass type god options.

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Glad to finally see a non-Uber nomination! I need 2-3 replays and a the import of the team you used before I rank it, but I think it has potential in a meta lacking a lot of Grass type god options.
It's my first viability nom so gj on having such a great meta!

[Team]
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish / Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Rock Slide / Magma Storm

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Impish / Calm Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Counter / Whirlwind

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold / Calm Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore

It's my first viability nom so gj on having such a great meta!

[Team]
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Heatran @ Leftovers
Impish / Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Rock Slide / Magma Storm

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Impish / Calm Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Counter / Whirlwind

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold / Calm Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb

Breloom @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
The team looks solid, but did you save any replays? I'd want to see how it fares against more standard teams before I give Ferrothorn a ranking.

Two big announcements for Gods and Followers fans!

The first is that this metagame is playable on the Pandora Server (and has been for a while) -- I just checked today, and its listed in the OMotM section. Aqua has been down for a while and you obviously can't play it on the main server anymore, so Pandora will be your go-to stop for GaF action!

The second announcement is a sort of "off-season" I came up with for the metagame and ran by the council to universal approval, inspired by what the Inheritance thread does with Inheritance Ubers. In that thread, periods where the meta lacks a ladder are punctuated with discussion and play of an Ubers-based Inheritance variant. Obviously, we're already a semi-Ubers based metagame, so we can't go that route, but we can go in the other direction...

Overlords and Underlings is a variant of Gods and Followers that utilizes the OU and UU banlists rather than the Ubers and OU banlists. It can be played using the default Gods and Followers format using house rules -- as long as both you and your opponent agree to the banlists, all of the mechanics of regular Gods and Followers apply.

This meta gives stellar followers like Skarmory and Kyurem-B the time to shine, along with adding a bunch of new type combinations that simply weren't worth using when there were plenty of powerful Ubers running around. While the power gap between UU and OU is much smaller than between OU and Ubers, OU is no stranger to total monsters like Keldeo and Mega Charizard who would crush UU if given the chance.
You are still free to discuss the regular Gods and Followers meta in the thread. However, I think Overlords and Underlings will give a fresh breath of air to the discussion, and maybe people will find the meta enjoyable in its own right as they play on Pandora.

Here's what you need to know:

Rules:

[Party Slot #1]
Bans:
OU banlist (including Shadow Tag)
Mechanic: Applies Curse effect to the player's team upon fainting

[Party Slots #2-6]
Bans:
UU banlist
Restrictions: Must share at least one type with Party Slot #1

[Overall]
Bans:
None yet
Clauses: OU clauses

Possible Gods (OU/BL):

Alakazam (Mega) [Psychic]
Altaria (Mega) [Dragon + Flying]
Azumarill [Water + Fairy]
Bisharp [Dark + Steel]
Breloom [Grass + Fighting]
Celebi [Grass + Psychic]
Chansey [Normal]
Charizard (Mega X) [Fire + Flying]
Charizard (Mega Y) [Fire + Flying]
Clefable [Fairy]
Conkeldurr [Fighting]
Diancie (Mega) [Rock + Fairy]
Diggersby [Normal + Ground]
Dragonite [Dragon + Flying]
Excadrill [Ground + Steel]
Ferrothorn [Grass + Steel]
Gallade (Mega) [Psychic + Fighting]
Garchomp [Dragon + Ground]
Garchomp (Mega) [Dragon + Ground]
Gardevoir (Mega) [Psychic + Fairy]
Gengar [Ghost + Poison]
Gliscor [Ground + Flying]
Gyarados [Water + Flying]
Hawlucha [Fighting + Flying]
Heatran [Fire + Steel]
Heracross (Mega) [Bug + Fighting]
Hippowdon [Ground]
Hoopa (Unbound) [Psychic + Dark]
Jirachi [Steel + Psychic]
Keldeo [Water + Fighting]
Klefki [Steel + Fairy]
Kyurem (Black) [Dragon + Ice]
Landorus (Therian) [Ground + Flying]
Latias [Dragon + Psychic]
Latias (Mega) [Dragon + Psychic]
Latios [Dragon + Psychic]
Latios (Mega) [Dragon + Psychic]
Lopunny (Mega) [Normal]
Magnezone [Electric + Steel]
Manaphy [Water]
Manectric (Mega) [Electric]
Medicham (Mega) [Fighting + Psychic]
Metagross (Mega) [Steel + Psychic]
Mew [Psychic]
Pidgeot (Mega) [Normal + Flying]
Pinsir (Mega) [Bug]
Raikou [Electric]
Rotom (Wash) [Electric + Water]
Sableye [Dark + Ghost]
Scizor [Bug + Steel]
Scizor (Mega) [Bug + Steel]
Scolipede [Bug + Poison]
Serperior [Grass]
Skarmory [Steel + Flying]
Slowbro [Water + Psychic]
Slowbro (Mega) [Water + Psychic]
Staraptor [Normal + Flying]
Starmie [Water + Psychic]
Sylveon [Fairy]
Talonflame [Fire + Flying]
Terrakion [Rock + Fighting]
Thundurus [Electric + Flying]
Thundurus (Therian) [Electric + Flying]
Togekiss [Fairy + Flying]
Tornadus [Flying]
Tyranitar [Rock + Dark]
Tyranitar (Mega) [Rock + Dark]
Victini [Psychic + Fire]
Venusaur (Mega) [Grass + Poison]
Volcarona [Bug + Fire]
Weavile [Dark + Ice]
Zygarde [Dragon + Ground]

~

Thanks for the continued support, and I hope you have fun discussing and playing both G+F and OL+UL!

-Jajoken and the GaF council

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have to say, Tran, Skarm and Mega Zard X look like awesome Overlords thanks to the great Underlings they bring to the table.

Reactions: Mq
One solid overlord I'd like to point out: Politoed!
Although it's currently PU, we've seen in a number of tiers that drizzle+damp rock+swift swim is very strong.
Politoed has lots of potential rain abusers as followers, like mega swampert, kingdra, kabutops, and ludicolo, plus the potential support of bulky waters like suicune, slowking, and tentacruel that some teams might find hard to take down. You mostly want to keep toed alive as long as possible anyway to continually set up the rain, so having to preserve it to avoid curse isn't as crippling as with many other leaders.

One solid overlord I'd like to point out: Politoed!
Although it's currently PU, we've seen in a number of tiers that drizzle+damp rock+swift swim is very strong.
Politoed has lots of potential rain abusers as followers, like mega swampert, kingdra, kabutops, and ludicolo, plus the potential support of bulky waters like suicune, slowking, and tentacruel that some teams might find hard to take down. You mostly want to keep toed alive as long as possible anyway to continually set up the rain, so having to preserve it to avoid curse isn't as crippling as with many other leaders.
Politoed teams in OL+UL honestly have fewer apparent issues than Kyogre teams in G+F -- Primal weather doesn't exist, and because most of the classic rain abusers are in lower tiers in anyway, the power curve is a lot lower. Obviously, Kyogre on its own is awesome and Politoed...isn't. Still, look out for rain teams.

It is too early to decide top threats in this OL+UL, but these are a few Pokemon that I think will be top threats

Thundurus-I
Types of Underlings:

Possible Electric Underlings: Zapdos, Rotom Forms, Magneton, Ampharos-Mega, Galvantula, Heliolisk, Eelektross, Jolteon, Lanturn
Possible Flying Underlings: Aerodactyl-Mega, Salamence, Gligar, Crobat, Mandibuzz, Braviary, Tornadus, Gyarados, Noivern, Yanmega, Honchkrow, Golbat, Vivillon
Viability: Electric and Flying are amazing types that cover each others weaknesses. They both are very fast and very offensive.It could create very dangerous VoltTurn Cores. Magneton is a great underling, as it covers for almost all of Thundurus and other flying types. Rotom-Heat is another good Underling as it bulky and covers the ice and ground weaknesses that other teammates struggle with.

Charizard-X
Types of Underlings:

Possible Fire Underlings: Entei, Infernape, Rotom-Heat, Chandelure, Darmanitan, Arcanine, Fletchinder, Emboar, Ninetales
Possible Flying Underlings: Aerodactyl, Salamence, Gligar, Crobat, Mandibuzz, Braviary, Tornadus, Gyarados, Noivern, Yanmega, Honchkrow, Golbat, Vivillon
Viability: Charizard-X will be one of the top Overlords in the tier. It has two very offensive types to pull from, and it is already S-Rank in regular OU. The Flying Type underlings will be able to be very strong thanks to Charizard having Fire Type Underlings to counter Ice types such as weavile and kyurem-black.(If sun is allowed, Ninetales can be run to run sun offense.) Speaking of Kyurem-Black...
Kyurem-Black
Types of Underlings:

Possible Ice Underlings: Abomasnow-Mega, Glalie-Mega, Mamoswine, Cloyster, Rotom-Frost, Sneasel
Possible Dragon Underlings: Salamence, Hydreigon, Goodra, Kingdra, Haxorus, Noivern, Flygon, Dragalge, Tyrantrum
Viability: Kyurem-Black has the highest attack out of all non-mega pokemon in OU and below (Only beaten by Mega-Chomp and Mega-Heracross). With this and other really powerful underlings such as Salamence, Mega Glalie, Mamoswine, and Noivern, Kyurem-Black will be a top threat in the metagame. It can even run hail with mega Abomasnow to boost damage even more

It is likely that offense will be more common than stall, as most bulky Overlords either have a single typing that makes them countered by many things (Chansey, Mew, Hippowdon) or get bodied by one of the three pokemon i talked about above (Skarmory, Slowbro, Ferrothorn). I think that Dragon or Flying type overlords will be extremely good in this metagame due to the sheer power and good underlings that they have at their disposal.

I think mega Venusaur would be a pretty good Overlord. There are very few things in UU that get can 2HKO it, and Half the meta is Water-Types so that's a nice bonus.

It also gets nice things like Nidoqueen, Crobat, Tangrowth, Amoongus, Whimsicott, Chesnaught, Shaymin, Tentacruel, Toxicroak and Roserade.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

It's a pretty balanced team with triple hazards and Tentacruel for Rapid Spin. Nidoqueen can be used for a more defensive team and something like Spore Amoongus and HP Fire Venusaur can be used over Roserade for that 100% sleep chance and double regen core but at the cost of spikes which is quite a big trade off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the contribution! I added a Team Archive to OP#5 of this thread, so if others have teams they'd like to add, feel free to post them.

I'd also like to note that Gods and Followers is playable on rom.psim.us, if you'd like another place to play it! I'm removing Aqua from the OP because its currently a dead server, and there are at least 2 other hosts right now.

An OL+UL battle against Rhythms!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-godsandfollowers-965

I used a Jirachi team while he used a Bisharp team. His team was definitely pretty scary since Bisharp basically won once Doublade was weakened and Mega Aggron was gone, but Gardevoir managed to come through with a pretty interesting set that I used. It's basically a bulky Scarf Gardevoir with only one attacking move (lol) and the rest being support. Worked pretty nicely. Enjoy the battle! :)

dhelmise

Social Media Head
An OL+UL battle against Rhythms!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-godsandfollowers-965

I used a Jirachi team while he used a Bisharp team. His team was definitely pretty scary since Bisharp basically won once Doublade was weakened and Mega Aggron was gone, but Gardevoir managed to come through with a pretty interesting set that I used. It's basically a bulky Scarf Gardevoir with only one attacking move (lol) and the rest being support. Worked pretty nicely. Enjoy the battle! :)
to be fair i made this team in six minutes :<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)