SM OU Gengar+Magearna

Deleted User [426440]

Banned deucer.

Introduction
Hey all, I haven't played Pokemon in roughly a year and recently got back into it. The first thing I wanted to do was build a team around Gengar, my favorite pokemon. So far it's been working pretty well, but I'd still like some feedback/advice.

Started off with Gengar, of course. He will function as a wallbreaker for Magearna, who I send in lategame to sweep.

Defensive Lando-T was added for SR and U-Turns so Gengar can safely come in.

Tapu Fini was added as a way to check Toxapex and Greninja as I've yet to run into either of these two run poison moves.

I added Latios to have a fast revenge killer in the form of Draco Meteor and Scarf, which nukes pretty much everything. He's also my method of stallbreaking (outside of Fini's Taunt) because of Trick.

I wasn't really sure who to put in the last slot, but after a bit of messing around I settled on MLopunny as I had no way to break past special walls and didn't have a mega.

-------
The Team

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Standard LO set to max out power, nothing really special. Shadow Ball+Sludge Wave for dual STAB, Focus Blast for coverage against steel types like Ferro, Taunt to break stall. I'm considering swapping out Taunt for another coverage move because I don't find myself using it as much as I think I should, and Tapu+Latios already deal with stall pretty well.

Magearna @ Expert Belt
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear

I chose Flash Cannon over Focus Blast as anything that requires Focus Blast to take it down is usually already taken care of by Gengar, and Flash Cannon is a strong STAB move. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are both used for coverage while Shift Gear is for setting up to outspeed anything and everything. I didn't really know what item to put on them, so I decided to go with an Expert Belt because of their fairly diverse movepool.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Standard defensive Lando set. Rocky Helm is used over Leftovers as I found myself not being able to tank enough to make the health recovery worth it. EQ isf for STAB, Knock Off to cripple, U-Turn for momentum and to Gengar+Lopunny in safely.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast / Scald
- Nature's Madness / Scald
- Taunt
- Defog

Tapu is my Defogger, stallbreaker, and general nuisance. Leftovers are used because they have no recovery otherwise. Moonblast is used for STAB, Nature's Madness to apply general pressure, Taunt to stallbreak, and Defog for hazard removal. I've found that the lack of Scald has hurt a little, especially against opposing Landos, but I'm not sure which move to swap it out for. I've been testing both Moonblast+Scald and Madness+Scald and I'm leaning towards the latter a bit.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Latios is my revenge killer. Scarf lets him outspeed practically everything, which is great. Draco to nuke, Psyshock for specially defensive tanks, Thunderbolt for coverage, and Trick to stallbreak. Levitate is a sweet bonus to switch into ground moves that should hit Gengar and Magearna. Not much else to explain here.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber / Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch

Again, I wasn't really sure who to put in this spot but Lopunny seems to work well. I use her to get through special walls that the rest of my team can't really deal with. Return and HJK are strong STAB moves while Ice Punch is for Garchomp, Lando-T, etc. I like using PUP against targets that are already low to get a kill + an attack boost, then proceed to keep her in for as long as I can before having to switch out. She also works as a revenge killer for when Latios is out due to her incredible speed.
-------
Conclusion
Thanks for reading my (probably bad) RMT. I'm doing well with it so far but I'm pretty low on the ladder so that's subject to change. Still, I'm having fun with it.
Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Magearna @ Expert Belt
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast / Scald
- Nature's Madness / Scald
- Taunt
- Defog

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
Hey, cool team you have here. So first I would change your item on magearna to electrium z. This gives it a utility nuke that can let it activate soul heart, a nuke, or it can break celesteela and toxapex which would other wise give gengar trouble. Next I would change knock off on landorus t to hidden power ice. It sounds like a joke, but since lando is your switching to ground types, it needs to hit them back hard. Finally, change thunderbolt on latios to thunder wave. This lets it neuter shift gear magearna and volcarona, which would otherwise 6-0 your team. If I come up with more advice to give you, I will tell you later. Welcome to Smogon!

Why expert belt on Magerana you have your Z-Move slot open so you can let it hold a Z-Crystal .

Run nature madness on Fini. Scald is not good if you are aiming for a burn chance id you just want a damaging water STAB then go for Surf/Hydro Pump/Muddy Water.

And as Shadow said run HP Ice on Lando. You can switch in Garchomp/Zygarde and prevent them from setting up and do some good damage on them.

I hope I helped :)

Deleted User [426440]

Banned deucer.
Hey, cool team you have here. So first I would change your item on magearna to electrium z. This gives it a utility nuke that can let it activate soul heart, a nuke, or it can break celesteela and toxapex which would other wise give gengar trouble. Next I would change knock off on landorus t to hidden power ice. It sounds like a joke, but since lando is your switching to ground types, it needs to hit them back hard. Finally, change thunderbolt on latios to thunder wave. This lets it neuter shift gear magearna and volcarona, which would otherwise 6-0 your team. If I come up with more advice to give you, I will tell you later. Welcome to Smogon!
Why expert belt on Magerana you have your Z-Move slot open so you can let it hold a Z-Crystal .

Run nature madness on Fini. Scald is not good if you are aiming for a burn chance id you just want a damaging water STAB then go for Surf/Hydro Pump/Muddy Water.

And as Shadow said run HP Ice on Lando. You can switch in Garchomp/Zygarde and prevent them from setting up and do some good damage on them.

I hope I helped :)
Thank you both, HP Ice is helping out a lot and the Electrium Z has won me games. I'll be sticking with this team for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)