[Gen 7] CAP Role Compendium

Alright, I've updated this to include the soon to be released Caribolt, Smokomodo, and Snaelstrom! Here are their roles for now:

Caribolt: Physical wallbreaker, offensive Volt Switch pivot, Rapid Spin user, Quick Attack user, Swords Dance sweeper, Z-Celebrate sweeper.
Smokomodo: Physical/Mixed wallbreaker, Taunt-based stallbreaker, Stealth Rock setter, Defog user, Choice Scarf user, Z-Celebrate sweeper.
Snaelstrom: Mixed wall, Stealth Rock/Sticky Web setter, Rapid Spin user, Whirlpool trapper, defensive Trick Room setter.

Of course, these are just a basic overview of their abilities, and might change drastically depending on their performance after release, so keep an eye for changes during the next weeks!

Additionally, I've added a checks compendium. This addition had a long time coming, I never implemented it before because I wasn't completely sure on how to do it. Special thanks to snake_rattler, who reminded me of this idea!

I don't think Smokomodo should be put as a Choice Scarf user at all, because I see absolutely no reason why I would ever want to run a Pokemon that is lacking in power and defensive utility, doesn't provide any significant Speed tier, and has to play guessing games because a lot of teams do in fact have a sturdy Fire- and Ground-type resist on the same team.

Also, on the topic of Smokomodo, it has Taunt, so add it to Taunt-based stallbreakers.

On the topic of stallbreakers, I think Cawmodore should be removed, because the common stall team now runs Cyclohm. Also, why's Mega Mawile nowhere to be found as a stallbreaker.

Under walls, why's Mega Latias only listed as a special wall, when it's really just a mixed defensive fat fuck.

Tomohawk shouldn't be mentioned as a pivot because it loses literally every bit of momentum that you might have built up.

I think Tapu Bulu should be removed as an Assault Vest user because this set is majorly outclassed by Jumbao and doesn't see any usage.

I understand that you want to cover CAPs as much as possible but when is the last time you saw a Wish Kerfluffle and it actually do something useful?

Ash-Greninja does not get Toxic Spikes.

I don't think Stratagem has ever used Vacuum Wave.

Why is Mega Houndoom listed as a Nasty Plot sweeper, I think it should be removed because, as a Sun abuser, Volkraken is much better.

Last edited:
Smokomodo in my opinion fits perfectly well in the Choice Scarf section, as I think its a much better user of this item than the likes of Landorus-T, Jumbao and Tapu Lele, as it can actually check some set-up sweepers. Just like Volkraken, it has the speed tier and the typing to RK Aurumoth and Cawmodore, and can speed tie with Naviathan, and while it doesn't have U-Turn, it doesn't pack a SR weakness which is just horrible for something that needs to pivot and come on the field. Additionnaly, it gives arguably much more role compression between moves like SR and Defog and its typing offers a very valuable defensive utility against non-Scald / Earth Power Krilowatt, Tapu Koko, Magearna and Plasmanta.

Snaelstrom can probably find a place among Stallbreakers and SD users, as most defensive Pokemon can't do anything significant to it and will likely fall to residual damages or boosted STABs. Both of its set have checks like Tomohawk, CM Clefable, Toxapex... though.

Good job by the way.

Jordy, I've implemented most of your suggestions.

Smokomodo was supposed to be on Taunt based stallbreakers, but I screwed up and put it on setup based instead. As for the Scarf set, I'm also not completely sold on its viability, but I think it might still find its niche. If the set ends up being completely useless, I'll eventually remove it, but for now, it will stay.

Mega Houndoom might be mostly outclassed by Volkraken, but I think it still has its niche as a Mega wallbreaker on Sun teams capable thanks to its higher speed, and the fact it doesn't need to lock itself into a move, so I won't be removing it for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)