Gen 2 (Silver): New but willing to learn!

Why hello there! I'm new to Smogon, but wanted to see what you all thought of my Pokemon team. Read along to see...

First off, I lead with Heracross. He serves as a physical sweeper. Heracross gets a STAB bonus from Megahorn and uses the reversal/endure combo to quickly K.O. his opponents. With a high attack, he's sure to deal some major damage. I gave him a focus band to boost his survivability, since he does not have the highest defense or speed. Earthquake is an overall good move, so why not give it to Heracross also?

Heracross @ Focus Band
- Megahorn
- Reversal
- Endure
- Earthquake

Next up, is Typhlosion. She's the special sweeper. I start with Sunny Day to give an extra boost to Flamethrower in addition to the STAB bonus. Thunder Punch is there to weaken water type Pokemon. For the last move, I would ideally have Hidden Power (grass) or Hidden Power (ice), but I'm not entirely sure how to insure that I get one or the other. Currently I have Earthquake, making Typhlosion more of a mixed sweeper. I am not sure what item to give her. Maybe leftovers?

Typhlosion @ ???
-Sunny Day
-Flamethrower
-Thunder Punch
-Hidden Power (grass), Hidden Power (ice), or Earthquake?

Skarmory with her high defense makes a good physical wall/annoyer. Curse and Drill Peck work hand-in-hand to deal damage, while Sand-attack and swagger work to have the opponent hurt himself. When the opponent is confused with swagger, sand-attack can be used to lower the rate of them damaging you with their increased attack. Because of Skarmory's low speed, I gave her a quick claw.

Skarmory @ Quick Claw
-Curse
-Drill Peck
-Sand-attack
-Swagger

Umbreon has a high special and physical defense which makes for a good trapper. Mean Look prevents enemies from escaping the wrath of Confuse ray and Toxic, which together bring the opponent to a quick end. Moonlight is there for healing, if things don't go well. I am not sure what item to give Umbreon.

Umbreon @ ???
-Mean Look
-Confuse Ray
-Toxic
-Moonlight

Starmie is a great Pokemon and serves as another special sweeper. Rain Dance goes well with both Thunder and Surf, which do a good amount of damage and could lead to the opponent being paralyzed. (Should I consider Confuse Ray, Surf, and Psychic instead?) Recover is for healing. I am not sure what item to give Starmie.

Starmie @ ???
-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Surf
-Recover

Snorlax is a (tank? wall?) that soaks up damage. Rest and Sleep Talk allow Snorlax to heal once his HP is low enough and still deal damage and Counter is for when big chunks of physical damage is done on him. Body Slam is good because it has a chance of paralyzing. Since health is pretty important for Snorlax, I gave him leftovers.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
-Body Slam
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Counter

Well there you have it. What do you all think? I especially am unsure about the items. It seems like leftovers are the most useful, though it would be boring for all of my Pokemon to be carrying the same thing. Thanks for your help! :)

What is your goal with this team? Because it's different if it was intended to be a competitive gsc team or you are just making it for fun or for battling with friends.

Okay so lets go

The first requirement for a competitive gsc team is to be able to beat standard stall cores, which is not the case because Skarm and Snorlax/blissey alone are walling your 6 mons to no end.

But first lets move on with the movesets:
Since this is gsc every defensive pokemon must have a recovery move. So make Skarmory Rest. You'll want it to Whrilwind as well, so drop either Curse or sand attack (preferably sa)
gsc so everything that is not marowak must be @ leftovers (except for this heracross set, but i'll go for it later).
There is no point using Rain Dance is gsc really. Starmie is a defensive Pokemon and shouldn't waste its time with this kind of set. Offensively it's walled no matter if RD or not. Make Starmie Rapid Spin and give it Psychic/Reflect/Thunder Wave (psychic is good for gengars spinblocking).
If a sunny day set ever happens to be threatening it's because it comes from Houndoom/Moltres (and it's assuming good team matchup and it's still not really worth it). Anyway, Typhlosion is pretty bad with any set, so you might as well remove it.

If Snorlax is sleep talking then it's also cursing. But you'll want Snorlax to be an offensive pokemon for your team so I'll just make Belly Drum / Body Slam/Frustration / Earthquake / Rest.
This Umbreon set is just eeeh it won't work if they have a phazing Skarmory/Steelix, and it's pertty likely they will. Not to mention just can't poison poison-types either. Umbreon should be your answer to Fire Blast Snorlaxes, Exeggutor, Gengar, tyranitar etc so give it a Charm/Toxic/Rest/Pursuit set.
This Heracros set could work but this a lot of support. You'd better stick with standards for now. Rest/Sleep Talk/Megahorn/Seismic Toss for exmple. Sleep Talk gives you a decent status absorber, good answer to most mixsweepers, and SToss sinergyzes well with Drumlax for chiping away damage on Skarms.

And for the last slot seems like the best option would be Raikou, your answer to electrics/vaporeon/thunder misdreavus/jolteon/dragonite/etc

Copypastable:

Raikou (M) @ Leftovers
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Roar
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heracross (M) @ Leftovers
- Megahorn
- Sleep Talk
- Seismic Toss
- Rest

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Drill Peck
- Rest
- Whirlwind

Starmie @ Leftovers
- Surf
- Recover
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
- Body Slam / Frustration
- Belly Drum
- Rest
- Earthquake / Lovely Kiss

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
- Pursuit
- Toxic
- Rest
- Charm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)