Gen 2 PS Development - Post bugs here

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
I think there's a bug involving Leech Seed and Roar/Whirlwind. In this battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2uu-417081635, on turn 17 Jumpluff went for Leech Seed and then Blastoise Roared it out. But before Jumpluff was Roared out both poison and Leech Seed's damage were applied. Shouldn't it happen only after the target is roared out? Which means the incoming Pokemon should receive the sapped HP.
If you are just referring that the incoming pokemon should receive the sapped HP, then this is wrong, the residual damage happens before the phaze.
EDIT: nevermind you are right, the sapped HP should be on the incoming mon (the poison damage is intended though). It's indeed a bug.

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
idk if this is where to post this sort of thing but self-KO clause needs to be implemented for GSC. Last-Poke booms shouldn't be winning games.

Minor and irrelevant bug, but Iron Tail, Rock Smash and Acid can lower defense after breaking the target's sub. Sergi and I tested Rock Smash breaking sub a total of 12 times in PS and got 0 defense drops.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just to be clear, Crunch doesn't lower SpDef because it's a special move per se. For example, Shadow Ball is physical but actually has a 20% chance to lower SpDef in GSC.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I have tried to get a double protect like 50 times here and it always failed. The fail rate should be 50% on the second try.
Oh man, after looking at the code I can see why. Currently there's a 1/256 chance to get a successful Protect on the second use in Gen 2. And it's been like that since the day Gen 2 was implemented... JOIM PLEASE.

Thanks for the effort and thanks for reporting, will fix ASAP!

Edit: Fixed!

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-503645772

In this replay on turn 2 protect failed even though it was not used the turn before. Is this a bug or just an unusual mechanic I have never heard of?
If you take a look at my "Fixed!" link in the post above yours, you'll see that stalling moves in Gen 2 suffer from the same 1/256 problem that most moves in Gen 1 suffer from. You just got very unlucky.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you take a look at my "Fixed!" link in the post above yours, you'll see that stalling moves in Gen 2 suffer from the same 1/256 problem that most moves in Gen 1 suffer from. You just got very unlucky.
Is this true to cartridge mechanics? I haven't heard about this nor seen it documented.

ping Crystal_

From Bulbapedia:

"Each time any of Protect, Detect, or Endure is successfully used without other moves used in between, the success rate will halve. In this generation, the success rate is implemented as a single byte over 256 which starts at the maximum of 255 and is floor-divided by 2 each time, effectively causing an extra 1/256 chance of failing on any use. This causes the success rate to drop to 0 on a ninth consecutive successful use."

Another source here.

pong.

Actually, it's not true in Crystal. The random number is decremented before comparing it to protect's base accuracy. The random number can only be 0-254. Also subsequent odds are 128/255, 64/255 and so on.
Source: https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal/blob/51bad5a/battle/effects/protect.asm#L54-L61

If this is a Crystal only thing then we have a nice desync glitch over here.

Edit: Same in Gold/Silver (see 0D:7744)

Last edited:

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Also subsequent odds are 128/255, 64/255 and so on.
127/255, 63/255, 31/255, 15/255, 7/255, 3/255, 1/255, 0.

PRN range [0;254]
carry isn't set if a == b
if PRN == 127, cp 127 won't set the carry
So on second use, PRN must land in [0;126] so that cp 127 sets the carry
This gives 127 successful outputs out of 255

Currently all Hidden Power Types don't change the HP DV Value, which is kind of huge as most of them should have a lowered one, except for Bug, Ice, Steel and Dark (obviously).
Here a replay of it not being only a display bug: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-229151

Another thing: Female Pokemon (except for the ones that only can be female like miltank, blissey, jynx, etc) should not have max ATK DVs. That's something that should be fixed too.

Hi, it's impossible to use shiny pokemon with Hidden Power- they get converted back to a non-shiny and all their stats get reset to the max values for that hidden power

and yes, I was genuinely meaning to use shinies in gsc, potentially with HP, I'm not just dicking around trying to mess with PS or anything

also it seems all pokemon get converted to male (where possible) upon battle? That's not right, since it's actually plausible that a player would use a female pokemon to make the most of Attract. Granted it's a shitty tactic, but with most pokemon being male it's not unviable, especially if you're looking to pull off some bs PerishTrap cheese

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Shininess should restrict the available Hidden Powers, and the Attack DV should be lower on females. Being able of manually setting the DVs in Gen 2 would be nice in the end.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I mean, shinies have shitty DVs and Attract is still bad because legendaries are genderless (nevermind Starmie and the occasional always-female mon, even assuming other special attackers are left as Male), but ideally mechanics are implemented with maximum accuracy just in case. Females with lower Attack stats is relevant.

Yeah Hidden Power being fucked up is a major deal. It's a huge weakness when Pokemon like Raikou run HP Water or Exeggutor run HP Fire. Gender matters too, but it's less game-breaking.

Allowing users to manually tweak DVs and showing them how gender, stats, and HP type changes would probably be the best solution. Hidden Power DVs are actually pretty restrictive for 70 BP; shiny DVs in general are also super specific. Gender is only determined by the Atk DV so that should be easy to fix. Gender would need data gathering as different gender ratios will change how the Atk DV effects gender.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)