Free Switch-in Madness: HECTOR vs MDragon Warstory (ST5)

So as of late, I've been browsing the forums more than usual for a particular reason, one reason alone: the Official Smogon Tournament. I know how prestigious it is, and how difficult it is to win a tournament made up of such high-level battlers. But knowing how tough winning the tournament was going to be, just motivated me to give it my all. So yeah, I browsed the thread everyday, doing my early round matchups. After a Round 3 win, I knew it was no longer fun and games, but the real deal, and I got a very tough matchup vs MDragon in Round 4 of this tournament. It was so good, that it definetly had to be turned into a warstory. It has everything a match could possibly offer, so Smogon... are you ready for a battle of epic proportions?

HECTOR's team:

MDragon's team

Rules: OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Timed Battle
HEC. sent out Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
M_Dragon sent out Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
Lady Bug has entered the room.
Zak91 has entered the room.

So the battle begins! Just so you know as a heads up, I was extremely nervous throughout this battle (why do I get nervous during pokemon battles and not during Track and Field finals is beyond me), but I could keep my cool throughout. Anyways, I lead with what I consider the toughest lead out there, Swampert. Always does its job perfectly. I'm obviously going for the easy Stealth Rock here. By seeing MDragon's Uxie lead, I could well assume there was no threat to my Swampert anyway, so I predicted either a Stealth Rock, or a Yawn, either way, I would get my rocks up with no problem.

Uxie used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
Swampert used Stealth Rock.

Just as planned. So now, I'm expecting him to Yawn or U-turn out, and I really hoped it was the latter. I'm running on my Swampert Ice Beam, Earthquake and Roar. Basically I have no other option against his Uxie but to Roar and get some SR damage in. Plus if he U-turns, I'll get some extra SR damage plus the possible revealance of one of his pokemon.

SilentEcho has entered the room.
Uxie used Yawn.
Swampert became drowsy!
Swampert used Roar.
M_Dragon switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.

Ok, now this is a very bad scenario for me since I have to switch out Swampert, who is the one I normally switch in on Scizor until I'm confident enough to predict against it, and make sure I make the correct move here. I'm pretty sure MDragon is running a CBScizor (honestly who isn't), and since Pert is going to sleep next turn, he might as well U-turn for the free switch-in, or the Swampert sleep status, definitely the move I least wanted to see him use, but I must deal with it. So I think, "Let me go to my own Scizor! He won't take much from a move he resists 4x, especially with Max HP!"

HEC. switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Scizor used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Scizor lost 34% of its health.
M_Dragon switched in Suicune (lvl 100 Suicune).
Suicune is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Suicune.
Suicune lost 12% of its health.

Seriously, I thought 34% was just, appalling. I had no idea a 4x resisted CB U-turn did so much, and not to mention he gets the free switch-in. So basically, my Scizor is down to 54%, without even unleashing one single attack, and he's forced to switch out now. I made the observation that MDragon's Suicune was not packing Leftovers, which is worse for me. If no leftovers, it means its Life Orb Offensive Cune. Looking at my team members, I knew I would have to sacrifice one if I wanted to stand a chance.

HEC. switched in Rotom-w (lvl 100 Rotom-w).
Pointed stones dug into Rotom-w.
Rotom-w lost 12% of its health.
Suicune used Surf.
Rotom-w lost 56% of its health.
Suicune lost 10% of its health.
Rotom-w's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rotom-w restored 6% of its health.

I switched in Rotom-w, which will end up being 2HKOd his Cune. Ok if you're wondering why out of all my guys, Rotom. Well I really don't know Mr. Curious George, I was a bit nervous I guess? So I know MDragon will go for the kill, and I'll just sac my Rotom to get a free switch-in, hopefully being able to take down that dreadly LO Cune.

andermoin has entered the room.
Suicune used Surf.
Rotom-w lost 55% of its health.
HEC.'s Rotom-w fainted.

HECTOR- 5
MDragon- 6

Ok so lets go over the match again shall we? Both sides have Rocks up, and both sides have revealed exactly 3 pokemon. Sounds even so far huh? Well, MDragon has a Uxie at full health, a Scizor at 87% and a Suicune at 67%. As for myself, a Swampert at full health, a 54% Scizor, and a Rotom in the pokemon graveyard :(. Knowing that I really need to get that Suicune out of the way, I bring the guy I trust the most on this team.

HEC. switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
Pointed stones dug into Swampert.
Swampert lost 6% of its health.

Yup, my trusty old steed, Swampert! I obviously need that Suicune gone, and gone fast, because everybody left on my team will get hrut badly by this guy, so I'm definitely not going to Phaze him away, I'm going for the kill!

Suicune used Calm Mind.
Suicune's special attack was raised.
Suicune's special defence was raised.
Swampert used Earthquake.
Suicune lost 32% of its health.
Swampert's leftovers restored its health a little!
Swampert restored 6% of its health.

While 32% damage might sound lame on paper, I was actualy so relieved its able to KO after he strikes me with one of his attacks. I'm expecting MDragon to switch out on this turn, but I don't mind a misprediction on my side this early in the game, after all I need Cune out of the battle. So I click the Earthquake button once more and...

Suicune used Surf.
Swampert lost 67% of its health.
Swampert used Earthquake.
Suicune lost 36% of its health.
M_Dragon's Suicune fainted.
Swampert's leftovers restored its health a little!
Swampert restored 6% of its health.

HECTOR- 5
MDragon- 5

Alright so its evened up... well not for long really, but I'm so relieved I got Suicune out of the game early into it. MDragon brings in his CBScizor who is ready to U-turn out and score a kill. My Swampert has done its job in this match, taking out one of the biggest threats to my team. Thank you Swampy ^_^.

Scizor used U-turn.
Swampert lost 42% of its health.
HEC.'s Swampert fainted.
Raging Mudkip has entered the room.
M_Dragon switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Flygon.
Flygon lost 6% of its health.

HECTOR- 4
MDragon-5

HEC. switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?).

So Swampert and Rotom are gone, but its all good. MDragon sends out his Flygon (which I believed was Scarfed as soon as I saw it). So I look through my team, and I know I'm in a very tough spot: My CBScizor could weaken it, but it won't score the KO; Empoleon and Infernape are out of the question, so I have to go to my own Flygon, who luckily for me, is Scarfed. Now, let me present you my train of thought when I made this move. You might be thinking: HECTOR, your team sucks! But lets stop and think this over. Both of us have our Scarf Flygons outs. If MDragon uses Outrage in this turn, and KOs my Flygon, even though he may not know it, its game over for him. As I said before, I have Empoleon on this team, which is centered around it by the way. If he Outrages, I can agility twice, get a Sub, and sweep his team, since I did get Suicune out ^_^.

So I really thought, nothing can go wrong with this move, contrary to what you might have thought before =D. Anywhoosal, I decide to go for the U-turn of course, just to get that free switch-in.

M_Dragon switched in Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
Pointed stones dug into Uxie.
Uxie lost 12% of its health.
Flygon used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Uxie lost 24% of its health.
Uxie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Uxie restored 6% of its health.

Works out perfectly, though I really did want him to Outrage =/. Anyways, I U-turned to my Scizor because, well, its the obvious choice really. I just have to use U-turn and it will get me another free switch-in, or net me a kill.

Uxie used Psychic.
Scizor lost 13% of its health.
Scizor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Uxie lost 71% of its health.
M_Dragon's Uxie fainted.

HECTOR- 4
MDragon-4

So MDragon decides to sacrifice Uxie, but in exchange, he gets a free switch in. After I U-turn I go to Flygon, because I really don't want to reveal my last pokemon yet (he still doesn't know about Empoleon and Infernape). MDragon goes to Scizor, I was expecting a U-turn in this move, but maybe he's fearing Fire Blast on my ScarfGon, which I don't carry. Regardless, I'm going to sacrifice my Scizor. Not to mention, if he Bullet Punches I will get Empoleon set up, and if he U-turns, and KOs Scizor, then I get the free switch-in.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Scizor lost 27% of its health.
HEC.'s Scizor fainted.

HECTOR-3
MDragon-4

HEC. switched in Empoleon (lvl 100 Empoleon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Empoleon.
Empoleon lost 6% of its health.

I honestly wasn't expecting him to Bullet Punch, but I guess he really did fear Fire Blast on my Scarfgon. So now Empoleon can set up!

M_Dragon switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Empoleon's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
Empoleon used Agility.
Empoleon's speed was sharply raised.

In all honesty, this was the dumbest move I could have possibly made in this situation. Sure it worked out... but it was very risky and almost cost me the game. Let me explain to you once again my hindsight. I have the option to Agility or set up a Sub. Now Agility was extremely risky here because had he gone to Flygon in this turn, he manages to outspeed my Empoleon even with +2 Speed. Had I used Sub, I could have seen if he threw out Flygon or Mence, either way, both would have been dead. Silly Hector =/.

Anyways, I guess I got a lucky break here and managed to get my Agility. I'm so glad Mence won't be doing anything in this match ^_^.

Empoleon used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 193% of its health.
M_Dragon's Salamence fainted.

HECTOR-3
MDragon-3

This game is now getting intense, at a 3-3 score, MDragon still has one unrevealed pokemon, but so do I. He brings up his ScarfFlygon vs my +2 Empoleon in hopes of being able to KO it. So I'm really thinking he's going to Earthquake. And just as a reminder, if he Outrages here... then he loses because of Empoleon (and he's aware of it now), so I'm going to switch to my Flygon. Either way, I win in this situation.

Flygon makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Flygon used Earthquake.
Flygon's attack missed!

Yup just as expected. So now, seeing as he has to switch, I'll just get another free switch-in by using the rarely move used in this match.... *DRUMROLL*.............. U-turn!

Flygon used U-turn.
Scizor lost 11% of its health.
HEC. switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.
Infernape lost 12% of its health.

I U-turn while he brings out his CBScizor, who will no longer live to see the next day! I reveal my final team member, Infernape. My Infernape is a Swords Dance Variant, but i'm not going to bother setting up here, just going to Fire Punch it while he decides to Bullet Punch me. Pretty straightforward turn honestly.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Infernape lost 43% of its health.
Infernape used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 182% of its health.
M_Dragon's Scizor fainted.
Infernape lost 10% of its health.

HECTOR-3
MDragon-2

Ehh, again I have underestimated Scizor's power. Yes I could have gone to Empoleon in that move right there, but I just thought he might've been considering using Superpower... and that would not be cool. So I have the lead for the first time in this match.. not that it actually matters for anything. He sends out his trusty Flygon and if you have been following this battle closely, you will know what move he will use here ^_^.

Flygon used Earthquake.
Flygon's attack missed!

So I switch in my own Flygon to avoid his once again obvious attempt at EQing. I'm not sure what to do in this move here, whether to Outrage... or outstall his Earthquakes. Maybe he would switch-out?

Flygon used Earthquake.
Flygon's attack missed!
Flygon used Earthquake.
Flygon's attack missed!

And MDragon decides to stay in. Of course he's going to run out of EQs first, but... bleh you'll find out what happened. Keep in mind guys, I have no idea what his last pokemon is. Sadly, during these few turns, I had forgotten how many times he had used Earthquake, and yes, I was too retarded to not check! The next few turns will just be cut to this next turn.

Flygon used Struggle.
Flygon lost 22% of its health.
Flygon was hit by recoil!
Flygon lost 25% of its health.
Flygon used Earthquake.
Flygon's attack missed!

I counted veryyy badlyyy, thought he would be Struggling next turn, but now I know he's struggling, so I go to set up my Empoleon, but MDragon makes the only move he could do really to keep his tournament hopes alive.

HEC. switched in Empoleon (lvl 100 Empoleon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Empoleon.
Empoleon lost 6% of its health.
M_Dragon switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).
Pointed stones dug into Lucario.
Lucario lost 3% of its health.

Yeah... I was pretty pissed with myself in this turn, but I still had a shot! Believe it or not. Lucario will obviously Close Combat this turn, but I'll Agility just in case... you know.. maybe I'd get lucky and he would mispredict?

Lucario used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Empoleon lost 195% of its health.
HEC.'s Empoleon fainted.
Lucario's defence was lowered.
Lucario's special defence was lowered.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.

HECTOR-2
MDragon-2

M_Dragon: gg hec
(GG :'()
HEC.: you're fucken me
(no he's not. This is POKEMON)
HEC.: no wai
(yes way HEC... yes way)
SilentEcho: hector your a moron
(I still love you Farmy <3)

HEC. switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.
Infernape lost 12% of its health.

Well, guys... this match is pretty much over... or is it? What a lame ending to a warstory, a SDCario sweep. That's not enterntainment HEC! Calm down people, you haven't let me finish yet. Hold your horses!
Anyways, remember how I said my Infernape was a Swords Dance variant? :naughty:

Infernape used Mach Punch.
It's super effective!
Lucario lost 112% of its health.
M_Dragon's Lucario fainted.

HECTOR-2
MDragon-1

Swords Dance Ape pulls through for me in a tight spot, but its still not over. If Ape doesn't manage to KO Flygon, it will be a win decided by a Speed Tie...

HEC.: :)
andermoin: lol
HEC.: i still am though
HEC.: i lost i think
SilentEcho: you will lose speed tie
Lady Bug: speed tie
SilentEcho: because i said so

Seriously I can always count on Farmer (SilentEcho) for support ^_^

Infernape used Mach Punch.
Flygon lost 32% of its health.
Flygon used Outrage.
Flygon went on a rampage!
Infernape lost 91% of its health.
HEC.'s Infernape fainted.

HECTOR-1
MDragon-1

Infernape failed to score the KO, and now, its all down to this. a Scarfgon vs Scarfgon showdown. NOW THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! GG MDragon.

Flygon used Outrage.
Flygon went on a rampage!
It's super effective!
Flygon lost 164% of its health.

M_Dragon's Flygon fainted.
HEC. wins!

HECTOR-1
MDragon-0

Just an awesome game, for an awesome tournament. Thank you MDragon for the wonderful battle, I hope you guys enjoyed the battle!

Youtube Reenactment by my dearest Farmer (SilentEcho):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWr7VH4s71c

Props:
- Amazing battle. Amazing Ending
- Excellent prediction on both sides.
- Empoleon for being making MDragon scared of using Outrage ^_^
- MDragon for always finding the way to get the win.
- Demonstrating how important free switch-ins are.
- Swampert for taking out a huge threat in LO Cune.

Slops:
- Counting Earthquake Failure
- Rotom-w for just well... dying xD.

Hope you enjoyed!

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scizor only 2x resists U-turn. Bug doesn't resist bug. Common mistake though lol.

Pretty good battle I actually read the entire thing which is rare for me.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's always a pain in the ass to see a match come down to a speed tie involving a Dragon/Ground type.................XD

Pretty good match otherwise though. Sure, Rotom was a waste but it let you get rid of Suicune. Too bad Empoleon didn't really get a chance to do anything though :(. Physical ape won you the match.

If he used anything else besides Uxie as a lead, things would have been quite different. That waste of a teamslot really came back to bite him in the end. I get that its a U-turn team and all, but there are so many better things that he could have used :(.

I'm surprised that the match was this close considering the massive team advantage you had.

It's always a pain in the ass to see a match come down to a speed tie involving a Dragon/Ground type.................XD

Pretty good match otherwise though. Sure, Rotom was a waste but it let you get rid of Suicune. Too bad Empoleon didn't really get a chance to do anything though :(. Physical ape won you the match.

If he used anything else besides Uxie as a lead, things would have been quite different. That waste of a teamslot really came back to bite him in the end. I get that its a U-turn team and all, but there are so many better things that he could have used :(.

I'm surprised that the match was this close considering the massive team advantage you had.
Are you sure you're not thinking about Garchomp? :jump:

Good battle, Hector. I never thought that I'd see a Life Orb Suicune, but I guess they exist. All I ever see is the Calm Mind variety, often with Sleep Talk.

As far as the resistance goes, it is an understandable mistake. All of the good Bug types (Scizor, Forretress, Heracross, and even Yanmega) resist Bug through the secondary typing.

How long is a timed battle? I'm wondering because you managed to stall the other Flygon out of Earthquakes, and I don't play Shoddy.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I had the battle won T.T
Stupid mistake...
well, gg hector xd
jrrrrrrr: uxie is very important in my team, as it can yawn for extra dagamage with the SR, and it is perhaps the best lead i have ever used. It will ALWAYS set up the rocks

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Hec, this was definetely a great fight, and I'm glad you decided to make it into a Warstory, not just a Youtube video. It was well written, formatted nicely, and overall just a great battle.

Great battle Hector, I could imagine how disappointed MDragon was when he lost the speed tie haha. But of course, we've all been in that situation before. Overall well written and I also enjoyed the remake of this battle you and Farmer did. I give this an A. :)

THat was a great battle. Good read, though I did find it kind of dull without end of turn updates, but eh. Fantastic fight, good job to both of you.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Excellent battle, you gotta love it when it comes down to a speed tie, great match from both of you.

I didnt bother remembering how much health hec's flygon had after other flygon struggled, but depending on how much health it had, both of you couldve had a guaranteed win.

if flygon had enough health to live a luke espeed, all hec would have to do on the emp vs. luke matchup is sac ape, bring in flygon, and outrage to victory, switching to empoleon after the speed tie loss if it happened.

if flygon was in sdluke espeed range, mdragon couldve switched to flygon on the mach punch turn, sacced flygon, brought back in lucario, espeeded the ape dead, then espeeded the flygon and won.

the way I see it, no matter what, one of you guys blew a guaranteed win. instead the match was decided by luck.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I have teams similar to both of yours, so it kinda felt like I was actually playing the whole time.

Nice story Hec and kudos to both of you for a well played match, I know how you feel M_Dragon :(

if flygon was in sdluke espeed range, mdragon couldve switched to flygon on the mach punch turn, sacced flygon, brought back in lucario, espeeded the ape dead, then espeeded the flygon and won.

the way I see it, no matter what, one of you guys blew a guaranteed win. instead the match was decided by luck.
No, Infernape was faster than Luke so it still would have mpunched it either way.

Great story, the speed tie was really suspenceful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)