Flash Clash [Online Competition] - Now Playable on Showdown!

Here's the usage stats of times a pokemon was actually chosen to battle, which is surprisingly quite different than the usage just being in the party.
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-03/leads/flashclash-0.txt
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-03/leads/flashclash-1500.txt
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-03/leads/flashclash-1630.txt
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-03/leads/flashclash-1760.txt
The problem with these stats is that I think they may be from March only and Flash Clash was only playable for 2 days in March, so the metagame has evolved a lot since then.

| 86 | Seel | 1.02682% | 30 | 0.440% | 8 | 0.704% |

> Above Darmanitan
> Dewgong isn't even on the list
min Speed Eviolite Perish Song Seel a thing or..? LOL
See, crap like this really makes me want to use a soundproof Mon even though nearly all of them are shit.

I really didn't want to dedicate a whole slot to beating this, but something tells me this will be the thing to beat against higher ranked teams.

See, crap like this really makes me want to use a soundproof Mon even though nearly all of them are shit.

I really didn't want to dedicate a whole slot to beating this, but something tells me this will be the thing to beat against higher ranked teams.
Bouffalant isn't bad. Slow but bulky, hits hard, great coverage. Other normal types can actually exist since Mega Khan isn't there to vastly eclipse all other Normal mons.

Bouffalant isn't bad. Slow but bulky, hits hard, great coverage. Other normal types can actually exist since Mega Khan isn't there to vastly eclipse all other Normal mons.
Didn't even realize Bouffalant got Soundproof since Sap Sipper is usually the go to ability.

I was looking into Exploud originally since it the highest tiered soundproof mon, but it gets OHKO'd by so many things and it's very slow, even at max speed. So if I go through with it, Bouffalant's likely the best candidate aside from Abomasnow who suffers from a lot of the same problems that Exploud does.

Edit: And it's good, but it really leaves your team exposed to Sawk.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been playing this a lot lately on showdown and I've realized this meta is a lot more skill-based that I thought. There is definitely consistency in terms of getting wins. We just have to realize that this isn't a 1v1 meta, it's just a game of team preview.

Unfortunately though, I don't see there being many viable Pokemon aside from the main, really good stuff. They can handle pretty much everything so I don't see much viability in variety.

I've been playing this a lot lately on showdown and I've realized this meta is a lot more skill-based that I thought. There is definitely consistency in terms of getting wins. We just have to realize that this isn't a 1v1 meta, it's just a game of team preview.

Unfortunately though, I don't see there being many viable Pokemon aside from the main, really good stuff. They can handle pretty much everything so I don't see much viability in variety.
Agreed. I originally thought a lot of niche mons would have their day in this meta game, but after a lot of team testing, I wouldn't be shocked if the top 12 ends up being almost entirely OU Pokes and for very good reason as most if the other stuff just gets shattered.

The two notable exceptions to this are Sawk and Porygon-Z. The 1v1 nature of this meta game makes it possible for these 2 to shine.

Okay I stopped playing the meta for a while and decided to start again. Sawk has become so popular! So what's the main sawk set that people are using?

Okay I stopped playing the meta for a while and decided to start again. Sawk has become so popular! So what's the main sawk set that people are using?
I'm assuming it's the standard Adamant EV spread with the item ranging from a lum berry to a custap one which I really want to try out.

I was originally bemoaning having to breed one of these too since Sawk's species is 100% male, but I got a 5 Iv one like my 2nd egg, so I'll be having fun with this one since it turns out I need a serious answer to Chansey, Porygon, and even the rare Slaking.

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So, now that I've noticed Item Clause is in effect, and as a way to bring a little more balance to my team (seen HERE), I have decided to replace Clawitzer with:

BM831 (Donphan) (M) (Lvl.50) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 SDef
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Fissure

My third-ever 6IV mon, my second-ever 6IV mon to be raised & used, my first-ever 6IV Maisonmon. It's Donphan4, not much explanation needed.

Should be interesting.

Would Ferrothorn be better physically or specially oriented? Defense-wise, I mean. It's very useful, checking Azumarill and able to Leech Seed-Protect many others. I know this isn't a great explanation, but try it out.
From what I've played against, physical since it goes well with Iron Barbs, but I've seen specially defensive ones as well, so it all depends on which better suits your team.

The meta game has evolved. I was once 1460 and am now struggling in the low 1200s. Sawk and Avalugg are huge. My majority of hyper-offensive Pokemon are not doing the job. I'm considering changing Blaziken because I already have Fire Punch on Dragonite.

Does anyone have counters for avalugg/sawk? All I have now is skill swap starmie, who loses to like everyone else.
For Sawk, any Mold Breaker will due since he's pretty frail without Study. And when I was using Avalugg, the main things that gave me issues were special attackers (his base SDf is awful) and Dynamic Punch Machamp.

The interesting thing is I was just thinking of replacing mine with something more traditional like Slowbro because of that said mis-match against Machamp, but I suppose I'll keep testing it for at least a few more days since I wanted Avalugg on my team from day 1.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Life Orb, Fake Out Medicham beats all the Sturdymons except Skarmory (just as long as you don't min roll both FO & HJK against Avalugg), but you can use Thunderpunch to 2HKO it I guess...

This looks interesting. I hope I have time to make a team and raise it in game, tho in order for that to be possible I'd have to use mostly stuff I already have.

On that note, what do people think about Mamoswine(sash is out, but Scarf can easily revenge stuff like Talon and Chomp, and if that's the foe's whole team you win,) Cofagrigus(I don't kno what it really brings to the table, but I have one so yea,) Sylveon(Specs Hyper Beam kills a lot,) Heatran(my favorite Poke on my current team. Tons of resists and stuff is nice cuz the mon they pick might not be able to scratch it. What set tho? Idk if specially bulky with Sub, Toxic, and Protect would work here,) Feerothorn(seems really good since a lot of things the foe might bring will die to Helmet and Barbs. Stealth Rock is obviously useless tho, so what should it run over that? Mayb Protect cuz Leech Seed, but then it should be Lefties,) Serperior(Spore immunity will probably be even bigger here than normal, and Serp has other nice stuff,) and Suicune(it's kinda great everywhere. Bulk and PP stall.)

Also stuff with Sturdy and Mirror Coat and/ or Counter. Avalugg has Mirror Coat, and lots of power too. There's probably other mins like this I'm not thinking of.

Hopefully I won't even need to train anything new cuz that's work. What are some other good mons that I might have?
I personally like curse over protect on Ferrothorn mainly because it will help against Perish song mons.

2 things I'm still wrestling with though is finding a Spd wall/tank that isn't a pink blob and rather having 2 mold breakers on my team is actually worth it. Excadrill resist normal types who spam recharge moves like Slaking and he can beat Aegislash and most fairy types outright if he has a boosting item, but outside of that, he get's KO'ed a ton when I choose him.

I also had to drop Sylveon sadly. It's slow, and pretty frail (which is a horrible combo in this meta game imo) and stuff like Scizor and Haxuros's Poison Jab just eats it for lunch.

I even went as far as giving it a boosting defensive nature with max def/ max sp attack to try to get around this flaw. Not only did it decrease the damage output, but it was still getting OHKO'ed, so I guess I'll try Porygonz for awhile. I suppose I'll just use the few Bold Eevee's I hatched just in case to finally finish my Vaporeon.

Hey guys! Thank you for all the help you gave in this thread. For a new player like me it's amazing information!

I'm still trying to build my team... And my main question is: Multiscale Dragonite or Mold Breaker Haxorus!! I can't decide! Which is better for this competition?

Hey guys! Thank you for all the help you gave in this thread. For a new player like me it's amazing information!

I'm still trying to build my team... And my main question is: Multiscale Dragonite or Mold Breaker Haxorus!! I can't decide! Which is better for this competition?
It depends what coverage you need for your team. Dragonite and Haxorus are good against completely different things.
Dragonite has: Multiscale for better starting bulk, and better bulk in general. It also gets fire coverage in Fire Punch for the pesky Steel types that take 4x damage like Scizor and Ferrothorn.
However, Haxorus has greater Attack and Speed than Dragonite, along with Mold Breaker which renders Sturdy users useless. Haxorus gets access to Counter also, but I don't know if that's good on it or not.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
In theory Counter seems pretty solid on Haxorus but the lack of Focus Sash makes it sound less appealing since it's not bulky enough to take strong physical hits. It's probably best off with a Choice Band/Scarf set with like Outrage/Earthquake/Poison Jab/Guillotine or something.

An Endure Custap Berry could also be kinda cool since Haxorus actually gets that as an egg move but I don't know, Choice Band/Scarf sounds better. Might give that a shot over Scarf Chomp though I'm still not sure how interested I still am in this format.

I have been skimming this post and might have overlooked this.

With Azumarill being the Perish Song threat, are people running 0 Spe and -Spe nature?

I am planning on trying the Dusknoir Frisk + Trick Choice Scarf to counter Azumarill.

From what I know about Choice items, I would need to Trick Scarf before Azumarill uses Perish Song to lock him into Perish Song.

So with Adamant Nature and 0 IV Spe, Dusknoir is at 50 speed. With 0 IV and Negative Nature Azumarill is at 49 Spe.

I have been skimming this post and might have overlooked this.

With Azumarill being the Perish Song threat, are people running 0 Spe and -Spe nature?

I am planning on trying the Dusknoir Frisk + Trick Choice Scarf to counter Azumarill.

From what I know about Choice items, I would need to Trick Scarf before Azumarill uses Perish Song to lock him into Perish Song.

So with Adamant Nature and 0 IV Spe, Dusknoir is at 50 speed. With 0 IV and Negative Nature Azumarill is at 49 Spe.
I'm thinking most of them are the 0 speed variant since the fastest mon faints first, so tricking the scarf to it would be perfect as you can out speed it to get the trick off and you'll be slower when the 3 turns are up.

I'm more worried about what will happen if one turns out to be an offensive Azumarill, but tricking it into a Belly Drum would be a site to see. I'm currently looking at stuff that can OHKO either set outright (or at least prevent either set from setting up), but that's easier said than done since Azu get's pretty bulky with max HP.

Also, watch out for Marowak as it's slower at min speed and it has Dig to do the same thing that Dive does. Thankfully, it's a bit more predictable as most will fully assume a Marowak is the Perish song set.

Is there a Flying Press article coming on Flash Clash? I haven't had time to train up a team, so it'd be nice to have a baseline for what I should be breeding for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)