Flash Clash [Online Competition] - Now Playable on Showdown!

So a new competition has been announced and this looks really interesting! It's competition in which Mega Stones and Focus Sash aren't allowed. Also, it's bring 6 pokemon but choose only 1 for the battle. Luck will play a HUGE role in this competition. I'm looking forward to this and I hope everyone can make time for this competition since battles only last maximum of 5 minutes and you only have 10 seconds to select a move.

Sign-Up Period
Thursday, April 21, 2016, at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, April 28, 2016, at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
Friday, April 29, 2016, at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, May 1, 2016, at 23:59 UTC

Participant Limit
50,000 (limit subject to change; first come, first served)

Participation Gift
Qualified participants will receive 2,000 Poké Miles, which can be used at the PokéMileage Club on the Pokémon Global Link. To qualify, players must earn a place in the rankings by completing at least one battle.

Age Divisions
Junior/Senior Division: Born 2001 or later
Masters Division: Born 2000 or earlier
• Junior Division players are limited to playing between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., based on the eastern-most time zone in each player’s country.

Ranking Results Announcement
May 2016 (announcement time subject to change)

Compatible Games
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Competition Rules
• This competition uses Single Battle format.
• Players may use Pokémon with National Pokédex number 1 through 720, with the exception of the following: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, and Hoopa.
• Players may use only Pokémon found, caught, hatched from an Egg, or received through a special promotion in Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter may not participate in this competition.
• Register up to six of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box.
• All Pokémon will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Only one of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Box can be used during each match.
• A 5-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 30 seconds to select one Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 10 seconds to select a move. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 20 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• Pokémon may not hold a Mega Stone nor a Focus Sash.
• For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.

Participation Requirements
• A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
• A wireless Internet connection
• A Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire game with a Game Sync ID registered in the Pokémon Global Link (PGL)
• The birth date you have registered in your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered during the competition that your birth-date information is incorrect, you may be disqualified from the competition and future competitions.

Does anyone know if Item Clause is active for this competition? I need to have all my mons hold Scarf lmao

LO mons will be amazing. Think Greninja, Blaziken, and even Thund.

I don't think there is an Item Clause. They would've specified if there was. Okay now off the top of my head, some pokemon which dominate this competition are
Chansey
Gliscor
Porygon Z
Thundurus
Ditto
Dragonite
Togekiss

1v1 is really luck based based since the outcome is usually decided at team preview, but it is also quite fun. I'm looking forward to it. Stuff like metal burst and perish song are actually viable here unlike in regular singles
Does anyone know if Item Clause is active for this competition? I need to have all my mons hold Scarf lmao

LO mons will be amazing. Think Greninja, Blaziken, and even Thund.
It doesn't say there is an item clause, but it also doesn't mention a species clause, but I'd guess that there will be one since every other battle spot format.

Last edited:
In an ironic twist of fate, moves like Hyper Beam and Giga Impact are quite Viable if your Pokemon has Aerialate, Pixilate, Refrigerate etc. Mold Breaker is probably important to punish Sturdy users, too.

This one seems really fun ! I will play Aron for sure !

[EDIT] Apparently, all mons are ajusted to level 50 :(

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
While this is a different metagame than Smogon's 1v1 format, I'd say some of that will carry over here (they also ban Focus Sash but Mega Stones is new). Blaziken is actually banned there (regular too, not just Mega) so I wouldn't be surprised to see it be one of the best offensive options here. Garchomp is probably still one of the best and Rhyperior seems interesting too (ROCK WRECKER). Greninja will likely be great for the same reason as Blaziken, and Porygon-Z seems great. Lots of cool stuff, I'll play this one I swear.

Cloyster, Cress, Pory2 & Breloom seems interesting to me among those which haven't been mentioned.

This is a really interesting type of competition. They have been doing great on this since Little Cup last year.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh wow, didn't expect gamefreak to do a 1v1 tournament! Gonna have to look into our current 1v1 knowledge for sure.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Was wanting them to announce a competition but not this ;; looks like they're sorry for the long kanto classic battles.

Also thank god for pentagon rule; I don't want to battle Sheer Cold cune. Articuno will rise again

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Very intriguing. Fake Out, Sturdy, and Mold Breaker are obviously appealing, but I imagine there are going to be a bunch of Choice items running around, which makes me very eager to have a bulky Disable option. And then there's silly stuff that likely won't stand up to theorymoning but just seems fun, like Assault Vest Cloyster with Attack and Special Defense investment.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This meta hype! We are gonna see some totally weird shit and I am really excited for it. There's gonna be such a weird mix of goodstuffs (Blaziken, Garchomp etc.) and haxy bullshit strats (Klefki, Togekiss, Glalie etc.) but I guess that's pretty similar to regular BSS so we should be fine!

One thing that's going to be REALLY hard is team preview. Smogon 1v1 has 3v3 team preview, and picking your ONE Pokemon is hard enough there. How in hell are you meant to choose your Mon when there are 6 options??? How do you predict what your opp will bring? I'm sure there'll be a trick to it which I'll figure out with practice...

Lum Berry and the resist berries are gonna be huge items here. Choice Scarfs will be valuable but I think Thunder Wave and moves like Rock Tomb will be better tech. I'm also expecting to see some terrible gimmicks like Quick Claw, Bright Powder / Lax Incense, and Focus Band, lol...

I think my first team will be something like Aegislash (ofc), Klefki, Togekiss, Chansey, Avalugg, and Wobbuffet. No idea where to start so I'll just use some favourites until a meta develops!

So what is the best Mold Breaker Pokemon allowed here, anyway? We do have a few to choose from, right? Haxorus, Rampardos, Excadrill, Pinsir, Hawlucha. I'm not really sure who to choose. All the Mold Breaker Pokemon seem really frail, mind you, except perhaps Throh?

This looks interesting. I hope I have time to make a team and raise it in game, tho in order for that to be possible I'd have to use mostly stuff I already have.

On that note, what do people think about Mamoswine(sash is out, but Scarf can easily revenge stuff like Talon and Chomp, and if that's the foe's whole team you win,) Cofagrigus(I don't kno what it really brings to the table, but I have one so yea,) Sylveon(Specs Hyper Beam kills a lot,) Heatran(my favorite Poke on my current team. Tons of resists and stuff is nice cuz the mon they pick might not be able to scratch it. What set tho? Idk if specially bulky with Sub, Toxic, and Protect would work here,) Feerothorn(seems really good since a lot of things the foe might bring will die to Helmet and Barbs. Stealth Rock is obviously useless tho, so what should it run over that? Mayb Protect cuz Leech Seed, but then it should be Lefties,) Serperior(Spore immunity will probably be even bigger here than normal, and Serp has other nice stuff,) and Suicune(it's kinda great everywhere. Bulk and PP stall.)

Also stuff with Sturdy and Mirror Coat and/ or Counter. Avalugg has Mirror Coat, and lots of power too. There's probably other mins like this I'm not thinking of.

Hopefully I won't even need to train anything new cuz that's work. What are some other good mons that I might have?

Prankster Taunt is gonna be a big deal, aye? Thundurus-I is great here because he provides offense and disruption.
I somehow doubt disruption is that necessary here, considering that mostly everyone's going to be running HO playstyle.

Another thing I've been looking at is Scarf Infiltrator Chandelure! It has amazeballs coverage, and it beats Klefki extremely reliably, barring silly confuzzle hax.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so I am definitely going to be playing in this one considering my classes will be over by that weekend, and 1v1 just seems too fun and short to pass up.

I'm definitely going to bring the Pokemon that I like that aren't normally that viable but shine here, like Porygon-Z and Rhyperior. That seems fun. Overall though, it seems extremely luck based so I probably won't be too pressured about it.

One thing I am considering is bringing a Shedinja that I'll never use, just because it will severely limit what my opponent can bring. Since you're only using 1 Pokemon, having only 5 Pokemon slots isn't a terrible idea. And once Team Preview goes down, you know your opponent is going to pick something that can beat Shedinja. That really helps you a lot in terms of predicting, at least in theory. Maybe in practice people just won't care and predict you won't bring Shedinja...and Shedinja is weak to a lot of stuff and status. LOL who knows.

You know, I'm really worried about Eviolite Pokes... there are a few that can survive a Buffate Hyper Beam/Giga Impact, right? What would the Buffate Pokemon do if fighting against them? Evio Chansey is weak to physical moves of course, but I'm sure there's another species that's high on physical defense too, right?

All -ate abilities yield a type resisted by Steel. So just bring a bulky Steel to deal with any of them (which is only Sylveon and Aurorus). Scizor in particular can Bullet Punch them into oblivion.

The more I think about Porygon-Z, the more I realize it's the best Pokemon in this meta. Let's take a look at this set.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Level: 50
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

I honestly think this is the best mon in this comp, and everyone will need to have an answer for this. Let's look at the facts. We know that frail, hyper-offensive mons are going to be very popular in the meta. Porygon-Z just ruins all of them. Its sheer power will net it a TON of damage, and often an OHKO, on a lot of the threats we've listed here, bar Aegislash, if it ever takes off. It has insane coverage on all the relevant threats (yes, even Shedinja) so it's not going to get walled any time soon. I would normally use Specs, but in a meta where everything's going to be really fast, I don't see much reason to not use Scarf. Basically, without Sashes or too many fast Scarfers, this thing can go on a RAMPAGE.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
The more I think about Porygon-Z, the more I realize it's the best Pokemon in this meta. Let's take a look at this set.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Level: 50
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

I honestly think this is the best mon in this comp, and everyone will need to have an answer for this. Let's look at the facts. We know that frail, hyper-offensive mons are going to be very popular in the meta. Porygon-Z just ruins all of them. Its sheer power will net it a TON of damage, and often an OHKO, on a lot of the threats we've listed here, bar Aegislash, if it ever takes off. It has insane coverage on all the relevant threats (yes, even Shedinja) so it's not going to get walled any time soon. I would normally use Specs, but in a meta where everything's going to be really fast, I don't see much reason to not use Scarf. Basically, without Sashes or too many fast Scarfers, this thing can go on a RAMPAGE.
I might also consider running Trick to maybe(?) beat things like Chansey.

The way I see it, your only two choices are hyper offensive Pokemon or hyper defensive Pokemon. Anything in the middle either gets destroyed or walled. I am probably going to have a team of roughly half hyper offensive and half defensive. Whatever category I choose to battle with depends on their team. This is going to be a weird competition all right...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)