SM PU First decent team I built

Hey guys, just entered Pokémon Showdown last month and have mostly been playing PU since. I've gone through a few teams, each iterating on the previous. My current team isn't great, but I've at least managed to get ~1300-1400 ELO with it at over 100 games. I'm going to try to cover each Pokémon on my team, from most favorite to least favorite, discussing their place, strengths, and weaknesses.

Here is the team:

Froslass @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

I'm in love with my glass cannon Froslass. The first three moves have amazing coverage and aren't really easy to switch into. I get to cover flying types (Oricorio, Scyther) easily, use my shadow ball as a neutral STAB, and threat fighting types with psychic (although I almost never switch into fighting types with Froslass). Thunderbolt is more of an additional coverage move against bulky water types that really doesn't have anything else to put in its place. Frosslass's biggest drawback is, more than the inability to take two hits, is Stealth Rocks weakness. I've contemplated specs Raichu but their movepool isn't as flexible.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Knock Off

Physically Defensive Mesprit is the most 'support' Pokémon of my team, in the sense that I'm not expecting any KOs, but instead set up stealth rocks and remove Eviolites from my opponents. It can switch into and out of physical menaces like Aggron or Fighting types, can take a hit or two from special attackers as well, and the ability Levitate eases switching with spikes on the floor. I run Psychic to kill fighting types (after Assault Vest or Eviolite has been removed) if I can not stall the enemy with Quagsire. I have tried running Healing Wish for additional support, but I found that sacrificing any other move was not worth the cost.

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

Assault Vest Eelektross keeps momentum in the game by being able to switch in on most special moves, throwing a Flamethrower or Giga Drain expecting a switch or using Volt Switch into Mesprit if I need a Knock Off or to set up rocks again. The ability Levitate also means that switching Eelektross in is a breeze too. Despite investing into SpA, Eelektross still doesn't hit too hard when checking, often 2HKO/3HKOing bulky ground types and 2HKOing water types. Giga drain is invaluable against Ground/Water and Ground/Rock Pokémon, but again, is underwhelming in the face of, for example, Regirock, only 3HKOing (and taking a toxic). I am considering switching Thunderbolt for Knock Off.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic
- Waterfall

Unaware is OP in a metagame full of Shell Smashers, Bulk Ups and Work Ups, that at most do neutral damage to Bulky Quagsire. The trap is simple: switch in easily to a physical attacking enemy, recover, toxic, and occasionally STAB until they quit or die. Quagsire can not take on special attackers at all, so I need other teammates to cover that role, and am forced to switch in these situations. Having Quagsire as my main tank opens a huge defensive gap, however: grass types that set up like Lilligant, Victreebell and Lurantis are still a huge issue for my team. Not having Heal Bell makes situations difficult when Quagsire receives Toxic. As I'm climbing the ladder, I feel that Quagsire's role becomes less important each games (less and less are physical enemies staying for last to be stalled).

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Sky Uppercut
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Swords Dance Combusken, in theory, is a late game setup sweeper. In reality, I need Combusken's Fire typing + Eviolite to switch into Quagsire's weaknesses, take at most two hits, and proceed to Fire Blitz a switched in Jellicent. I feel like Combusken is playing the wrong role in the team, and shines better when used late-game. Fire Blitz + Stealth Rocks really shortens Combusken's usefulness, so most games I switch it in once or twice at most. The necessity of Swords Dance + Protect limits my coverage options and many times I draw blank on Mudsdales, Jellicents, Celfairys, and other switch ins.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Frosslass is weak to rocks. I switch out everyone all the time. Without recovery options my Mesprit's lifetime is limited, so a Defog user might end up helping the opponent more than I. Therefore, I have another Assault Vester on my team, which, by the way, is weak to Psychic, a common enough type to be considered. I run Ice Punch for grass types, Bullet Punch over Mach Punch to get rid of any opposing Froslasses (not strong enough for opposing Fairy types), Rapid Spin and Drain Punch are standard. And when the opposing team has a ghost type? Frustration ensues.
Closing notes:

As a general summary: my team lacks identity. Sure, I can switch in and win some battles, but I feel the lack of an overarching strategy. I feel the lack of healing options, but I feel like I can not possibly fit in another support to do that role. I have two physically attacking fighting type Pokémon. I think I don't have a bad start, but I believe that there's much more room for improvement. I am looking forward to a rating of this team. And, thank you for reading up to this point.

A sample replay of the team's style (and my fuckups): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-905270241

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello and welcome to Smogon Magmagan,

I like the feel of the team, I can see why you say you lack an overall strategic feel for the team as there are some questionable set choices. I mean that with all due respect, so please do not let that critique discourage you. It looks like you have an idea, but just couldn't fully flesh it out. I can help this team immensely with some set changes and a Pokemon change so believe me when I say this is not too bad of attempt and I am glad you took the time to post your team here, as this is the best place to get advice like this.

Your team has a hyper offensive backbone so I will be rating it as such. If you want more of a balance style of team, I wouldn't suggest trying to work this one into it as it would take so many changes it would basically be a new team anyway, so with that, I will get to some suggestions.

Froslass @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Spikes
- Switcheroo

Ice Beam + Shadow Ball has almost perfect neutral coverage and the Pokemon that tank it well get crippled severely by Switcharoo. Spikes is appreciated by your team as well and Choice Specs Froslass actually can make good use of it due to the switches it forces. This will allow you to use Froslass offensively as well as for support which is great role compression for a Hyper offensive team. It gives you options and can help win stall match-ups as you can cripple many of the specially defensive sets and can let you use Spikes more consistently.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Dazzling Gleam

Choice Scarf Mesprit actually got a touch better with the banning of Lilligant, but it also struggles with Guzzlord which is why you need to go Dazzling Gleam as you are much weaker to Guzzlord then you are Alolan Sandslash and Skuntank. This gives you a revenge killer, a pivot and Healing Wish support(Sacrifices Mesprit to fully heal the incoming teammate). This adds more role compression as well and works well with Eelektross. when facing Fighting-types you really need to keep Mesprit healthy as it is your best way of overcoming them, the final version of this team is pretty weak to Fighting-types but does have outs against them.

--->

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Swords Dance

Offensive Stealth Rock Lycanroc gives you team Stealth Rock, a wallbreaker, a sweeper, and with the pairing of Eelektross a guaranteed way of dealing with Oricorio-Pom-Pom(Eelektross gets set up on by Oricorio-Pom-Pom, but you can slow pivot into Lycanroc and force it out every time.)
This also helps with other Flying-types and soft checks Kangaskhan and Stoutland. Your team isn't terribly weak to the Normal-types as the only Pokemon they threaten is Eelektross and Froslass locked into Shadow Ball every other Pokemon at best ends with them being severely weakened. You could also use Z-Zen Headbutt to lure in Gurdurr, but it is hard to fit on here as you need Swords Dance to acheive the lure.

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch

Assault Vest is still an option here, I would, however, keep the move set the way I have here as this is way more consistent and actually benefits you more as well. Life Orb is a good fit as it lets you OHKO Alolan Sandslash with Mach Punch whereas non-Life Orb does not. This also has a high chance to OHKO opposing Lycanroc with Mach Punch whis is nice because most expect Hitmonchan to be Assualt Vest so you will lure some to stay in as they will want to go for +2 Splintered Stormshards if you switch Hitmonchan in on a full health Lycanroc. You could also choose to go Claydol here Gurdurr over Lycanroc but I feel that may change up the feel of the team too much and still leaves you a touch weak to Aurorus, and Claydol will neither set nor spin as consistently as this setup.

Team Changes and Final Thoughts, Enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)