First Competitive Team, Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first competitive pokemon team for Soul Silver. I am open to any ideas for the most part. Thank you in advance :D

Skarmory @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe Impish
~spikes
~stealth rock
~whirlwind
~roost/brave bird

Lead, throw down 3 spikes and stealth rock then whirlwind stall. Should i heal with roost or use brave bird?

Ninjask @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Spe/4 Att Jolly
~baton pass
~swords dance
~substitute
~protect/x-scissor

baton pass to Marowak. Use protect for easier baton passing or x-scissor for an extra attack?

Marowak @ Thick Club
252 Att/252 Spe/4 HP Jolly
~substitute
~earthquake
~ice punch
~focus punch

gets speed buff + sometimes SD buff from Ninjask if opponent is dumb. with these four moves I can counter almost every main type except water

Venusaur @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 SpD4 Def Calm
~leech seed
~synthesis
~sleep powder
~sludge bomb

Classic leech seed/toxic stall w/ synthesis and occasional sleep powder to set up ninjask baton pass

Blissey@ Leftovers
252 HP/252 SpD/4 Att Bold
~toxic
~siesmic toss
~aromatherapy
~softboiled

aromatherapy. others just to stay alive and put out some sort of damage

Vaporean @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 Att Bold
~wish
~protect
~toxic
~surf

Used to heal and to toxic stall. also surf for STAB attack. I was also thinking about putting a SleepTalk Snorlax as my 6th Pokemon.

Well since this is your first team, I'll give some concepts as advice.

Venusaur is not often used in OU, as Roserade does the Sleep Powder job better, and Breloom is also a grass-type but with the more accurate Spore.

Skarmory and Blissey are defensive Pokemon, Vaporeon and Venusaur can be balanced, while Marowak and Ninjask are usually found on offensive teams. Usually these different types of Pokemon don't mix onto the same team. If it works, it works, but more often than not it is less effective.

Ninjask has a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, so it would be advised to use Rapid Spin on the team to eliminate Stealth Rock from the field. Otherwise, Ninjask has a much tougher time entering the field. Even using a lead like Azelf or Aerodactyl (with Taunt) can prevent Stealth Rock from coming in early in the game, enough time for Ninjask to operate properly.

Skarmory as a lead should hold Lum Berry (or it will be switching out a lot) since a lot of leads like to give it a status. Roserade's Sleep Powder, Machamp's DynamicPunch's confusion, etc.

Skarmory leads can even use Taunt to prevent a subsequent Sleep Powder, or prevent Pokemon from trying to set up on it. Stealth Rock is better left to a different Pokemon, since Skarmory needs all of his moveslots. Brave Bird can be used to hit Machamp or just damage weakened Pokemon, but I tend to use Roost for the recovery. Common Taunters that make you require Brave Bird include Crobat, Gliscor, Aerodactyl, and Azelf among others, and the first three can heal and take little damage, while Azelf has Fire Blast.

Aromatherapy on Blissey should be used if your team has a fear of (or cannot operate with the presence of) status conditions. the only thing you have to fear for is poisoned Vaporeon and paralyzed Ninjask (which is very very hard to do), so I doubt Aromatherapy is really worth a move slot. You could give Blissey Stealth Rock instead of having it on Skarmory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)