Other Metagames Fantasy (Balanced Hackmons Stall, 29-4 Suspect Run)

Funbot28

Banned deucer.

amazing art by Moosical

Introduction
Hello everyone, its been a while since I posted a full RMT and a lot has changed in terms of my forum presence and overall viability as a player/teambuilder. From the beggining of the seventh generation, I have grown to really enjoy playing the Balanced Hackmons metagame as I never really took it as seriously compared to the other OMs I played in previous gens. The metagame has drastically changed since the beggining of the gen with the most prominent change being the allowance of unlimited EV investment, immensely changing the pace of the matches and popularizing the use of more defensive pivoting. Knowing this, the change had heavily favored more defensively orientated teams since walls such as Mega Audino and Registeel can now fully invest in both defenses and handle mixed wallbreakers much better. It was at this moment where nyan kat and I thought of re-using the relic known as Gengarite Gengar to abuse its trapping potential. After a bit of playtesting, the team was finally finalized and has broughten me success on both ladder and tour games. I was going to conserve this for a 1.5k post special, but as I am seeing the Gengarite ban coming closer, I felt that I needed to share this team before stall as a playstyle becomes unviable imo.

Teambuilding Process

Mega Gengar is the glue of this team and is the main threat that is being built around with.

Both Registeel and Giratina were added simultaneously since the two form a potent defensive core that can check most offensive threats alone.

Although I had a Steel-type in Registeel, I had noticed that the team was still quite weak to -ate wallbreakers such as Mega Rayquaza and Mega Diancie, especially when paired with Magnet Pull, therefore I had added Soundproof Mega Slowbro to alleviate this issue. It also can act as a secondary check to Primal Groudon if Giratina had been severly weakened.

Imposter Chansey was added next to help keep certain setup sweepers in check and also helps scout opposing wallbreakers for coverage moves that can potentially harm one of the teams defensive pivots.

Lastly, Unaware Mega Audino was introduced as the final team member to check setup sweepers such as Mega Gengar and Mega Rayquaza, while also providing nice utility with its great defensive typing.

After heavy playtesting with the previous iteration of the team, I had realized that threats such as Unburden Yveltal and Mold Breaker Mega Gengar can still have the oppurtunity to break through my team, thereforce I had replaced Unaware Mega Audino with Mega Gyarados. -Ates with Techno Blast also gave the team a huge nuisance, which lead me to replace Mega Slowbro with Fur Coat Chansey instead.

The Team

Registeel @ Shed Shell / Eject Button
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Shore Up
- U-turn
- Defog

Registeel is here as the main check to -ate wallbreakers such as Mega Diancie, Kyurem-W, and Mega Rayquaza, avoiding the 2HKO from their STAB attacks and proceeding to stall them out with recovery (however it must always fear Fire and Ground-type coverage moves). Its typing also helps check other threats such as Dialga and Regigigas as well which also benifits the team greatly. Magic Bounce was the given ability since it acts as a great tool in disrupting opposing foes that would like to threaten the team with status moves, since its typing + bulk allows it to switch in versus the majority of entry hazard setters and status spammers that do not run Mold Breaker. Shed Shell is equipped to ensure that Registeel can escape being revenge killed by threats such as Magnet Pull Primal Groudon and opposing Shadow Tag Mega Gengar, however Eject Button can be used as an alternative since it can be used in combination with Disable Mega Gengar to trap and KO other common pivots such as Solgaleo and Mega Audino as they try to switch out. Knock Off was given as the sole attacking move in order to lure in Normalize Gengar by removing its Spooky Plate once it tries to use Entrainment, a threat that can otherwise severly break the team. It also provides useful utility in removing opposing Shed Shells in order to allow Mega Gengar to trap more foes. Defog is placed in order to remove hazards in the event that Registeel cannot switch in versus the opposing entry hazard setter, but Rapid Spin can be used instead to better deal versus teams using Shedinja. Recovery + pivoting is standard on majority of defensive pivots so I don't think I really need to explain those options throughout the RMT.
Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 129-153 (35.4 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 138-164 (37.9 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 141-167 (38.7 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Rayquaza-Mega Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 152-180 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Kyurem-White Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 135-160 (37 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Spooky Plate Gengar-Mega Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 259-306 (71.1 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Gyarados-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Crabhammer
- Punishment
- Shore Up
- U-turn

Mega Gyarados acts as the team's check to setup sweepers such as Unburden Yveltal and Tail Glow Mega Rayquaza since it is the prime abuser of Unaware thanks to its great defensive typing that lets it resist both Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam. Its typing also provides an immunity to Psychic-type attacks, meaning that threats such as Mega Mewtwo-Y cannot just spam their STAB attacks. Crabhammer is used as its main STAB attack to usually deal moderate damage versus most threats and acts as a means to check Primal Groudon as well. Punishment is a neat STAB attack that lets Mega Gyarados punish setup sweepers that try and break through it since the move can let it 2HKO threat such as Mega Rayquaza and Primal Kyogre after only 1-2 boosts. However, Haze or Topsy-Turvy can be used instead to act as a more sustanable means to check the aformentioned sweepers due to the higher PP / less reliance against the foes typing and stats. Safety Goggles is equipped to be able to actually beat certain setup sweepers that commonly run Spore like Triage Mega Rayquaza and Dazzling Mega Gengar. 36 EVs are invested in Speed to outspeed Jolly Primal Groudon at -1.
Calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Oblivion Wing vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados-Mega: 133-156 (33.7 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gyarados-Mega: 170-200 (43.1 - 50.7%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Yveltal Power Trip (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Unaware Gyarados-Mega: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados-Mega: 176-208 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gyarados-Mega: 188-222 (47.7 - 56.3%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gyarados-Mega: 227-268 (57.6 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Unaware Gyarados-Mega: 170-204 (43.1 - 51.7%) -- approx. 3.5% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Gyarados-Mega Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Groudon-Primal: 420-496 (103.9 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Giratina @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Core Enforcer
- Stealth Rock
- Shore Up
- Parting Shot

Fur Coat Giratina acts as the main check to a myriad of physical attackers such as Primal Groudon, Mega Mewtwo-X, Regigigas, and Mega Gyarados. Its typing + insane bulk enables it to pivot in on practically every physical attack and threaten them out with its approproate coverage options. Core Enforcer is a great STAB move that allows it to dirsupt incoming switchins by supressing their abilities. This can be especially useful when facing threats such as Unburden Primal Groudon and Poison Heal Regigigas. I also placed it as my entry hazard setter since Giratina can usually find many oppurtunities to switchin and can also setup against common Magic Bounce users such as Aegislash and Registeel that want to switchin by using Core Enforcer. Abusing entry hazards are so vital for the team since it can perusade the opponent into using utility moves such as Defog and Rapid Spin, two moves that Mega Gengar can come in against. Lastly, I decided to use Parting Shot in combination with Darkinium Z due to the prevalence of Switcheroo Primal Groudon which can otherwise cripple Giratina as it tries to come in. Z-Parting Shot also aids Mega Gengar in sustaining itself and can let it net a few more KOs that it otherwise would not be able to acheive. Parting Shot is also useful in weakening passive threats in order to let Mega Gengar come in without taking as much damage from neutral hits. Speed investment is to outspeed Jolly Primal Groudon at -1, meaning that Giratina can recover spam versus V-Create.
Calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Giratina: 196-232 (38.8 - 46%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk Regigigas Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Giratina: 210-248 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 230-272 (45.6 - 53.9%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 201-237 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Stakeout V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Giratina in Harsh Sunshine: 196-231 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Chansey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Whirlwind
- Shore Up
- Perish Song

A staple on a majority of Balanced Hackmons teams, Imposter Chansey serves an important role on many stall team as an emergency answer to a variety of sweepers that currently dominate the metagame, with the most notable being Contrary sweepers such as Mega Rayquaza and Mega Mewtwo-Y. It is also great at scouting the opponents sets in hopes of revealing potential lures on certain wallbreakers that can greatly weaken one of the other teammates, with examples being Ice Beam Primal Groudon and V-Create Mega Diancie. With a Choice Scarf, Chansey rarely has to deal with outspeeding the foe it is transformed as unless they are under the effects of Quick Feet or Unburden, meaning that I do not need to rely on 50/50s to potentially win the match. Eviolite can still be used, but the certainty of Choice Scarf fits better on more defensive teams. Its movepool is rather arbitrary since it will be transformed 90% of the time, but if not, Fake Out acts as a means to stop Illusion users that are becoming increasingly popular such as Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza. Whirlwhind is there to phaze out opponents behind a Substitute, while Perish Song works great in conjunction with Mega Gengar since Chansey can pivot out into it, aiding Gengar in securing the KO.

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Metal Burst
- Whirlwind
- Shore Up
- U-turn

Fur Coat Chansey turned out to be another invaluable addition to the team since its incredible bulk allows it to check a variety of common threats, with the most important being the majority of the -ate sweepers. Having only one weakness also means that it can be usually pivoted in against many attacks without risking to take up too much damage and can proceed to disrupt to opposing threat. Metal Burst works wonderfully in tandem with its high HP stat, since it can usually threaten to 2HKO if not OHKO attackers like Choice Band Primal Groudon and +3 Mega Rayquaza after it receives damage. This in turn helps create mindgames with Whirlwhind, since it forces your opponent to predict whether or not Chansey will retaliate with Metal Burst, or if the opposing foe decides to setup, Chansey can just Whirlwhind them out. The only issue when using Fur Coat Chansey is passitivity issues, since it is complete Taunt bait and can struggle to check certain Spore users as well, meaning that it often times needs to pivot with Registeel to deal with these crippling status moves. U-Turn + Whirlwhind also works great in stopping opposing Shadow Tag Mega Gengar, since it can only Disable one of the two moves, but it still must fear using its recovery move or Metal Burst in an attempt not to get trapped. Trick can also be an issue, but that tactic usually invites Mega Gengar to come in and proceed to KO the mon.
Calcs:
252 Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Fur Coat Chansey: 271-321 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey: 246-289 (34.9 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey: 246-289 (34.9 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Yveltal Power Trip (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Fur Coat Chansey: 364-430 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey: 329-387 (46.7 - 55%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Icicle Plate Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Frustration vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Fur Coat Chansey: 234-276 (33.2 - 39.2%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Perish Song
- King's Shield
- Disable

Finally we have the most important member of the team and the reason as to why stall in Balanced Hackmons even works imho, Shadow Tag Mega Gengar is without a doubt one of the most annoying threats in the Balanced Hackmons metagame thanks to its trapping abilities. It is placed on many stall teams since it can trap and KO many threats that the rest of its teammates cannot break through, with the most prominent examples being defensive pivots such as Mega Audino, Zygarde-C, Mega Slowbro, Fur Coat Primal Kyogre, and Solgaleo if they lack Magic Bounce/Soundproof. Mega Gengar can also trap offensive threats that are slower then it depending on what moves it can trap the threat into. Encore + Perish Song is what makes this set function, since it can subject a slower threat into a move that does not harm Mega Gengar (with the most common examples being status moves such as recovery or Defog, or weaker moves like Moonblast and Knock Off), and proceed to stall out Perish Song turns until the opposing foe dies. King's Shield is a great utility move that allows Mega Gengar to scout coverage options and can also weaken the attacks coming off physical attackers such as Mega Gyarados and Solgaleo in hopes of it being able to sustain itself throughout all the Perish Song turns. DIsable works great in tandem with a protection move, since it allows Mega Gengar to catch pivot options that are commonly run on most defensive walls and basically nullify them from escaping. Disable also works great in trapping Choice users, since it can force them to struggle, likely resulting in a KO. Illusion is the best pre-mega ability option, since it lets Gengar mask its presence on the battlefield when disguised as teammates such as Registeel and Mega Gyarados, with the hopes of catching defensive pivots off guard as they go for a move option that Mega Gengar can Encore. Mega Gengar is so important to stalls viability and I really dont understand the sentiment that it hinders the playstyle, since although it can trap common stall threats, it also acts as the catalyst that often rewards me most of my wins, since it can eliminate wallbreakers and defensive threats that its passive teamates cannot threaten like no other mon.
Calcs:
-2 252 Atk Life Orb Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gengar-Mega: 121-142 (37.3 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Regigigas Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gengar-Mega: 152-180 (46.9 - 55.5%) -- 74.6% chance to 2HKO
-2 252 Atk Solgaleo Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gengar-Mega: 94-112 (29 - 34.5%) -- 5.2% chance to 3HKO
-2 252 Atk Gyarados-Mega Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gengar-Mega: 114-134 (35.1 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Pixie Plate Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Gengar-Mega: 157-186 (48.4 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Audino-Mega Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Gengar-Mega: 46-54 (14.1 - 16.6%) -- possible 6HKO
-2 252 Atk Yveltal Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gengar-Mega: 98-116 (30.2 - 35.8%) -- 32.7% chance to 3HKO
Threatlist
Since this is a more defensive team, the amount of threats it can check is important to its overall success. Therefore I am planning to go a bit more extensive at this part then possibly a regular RMT would. I am only going to discuss threats going through S-B on the Viability Rankings, since the other threats are not that common nor important enough to consider. Sidenotes will be given if extra information is required to check the given threat. Red highlights mean major threat that can break team without proper play.

https://www.scribd.com/document/352387146/BH-RMT-Threatlist

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmonssuspecttest-595929997 <- vs standard balance
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmonssuspecttest-595060919 <- vs TBK99
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-593154266 <- vs Sugarhigh
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-565252950 <- vs Quantum (old version of team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmonssuspecttest-595993506

Proof

Conclusion
I would like to thank eveyone for taking the time in reading this RMT. I have made numerous new friends in the OM community during my time on this website and have really enjoyed interacting with almost everyone I come in contact with. It really means a lot to me that we have such an open community that invites such genuine interactions. I hope I can share more fun memories in the years to come with you all.
Here are some special shoutouts I would like to give:
Chloe.: The most friendly OM mod (srry flint) and a great person to interact with on PS and even Discord Call. You have a wonderful voice and I hope you realize you are such a belle poupée.
wishes: My drag princess, I really like discussing IRL stuff with you and appreciate how many preferences we share in common. We will see who will top the STABmons ladder in July tho ;)
Quantum Tesseract: Probably best overall OM player if we wanna be honest, and also really fun to meme with. When is our collab tho?
motherlove: The man who travelled all of Europe, mlove strikes again as another friendly companion that I live working with. Las or Lad? :thinking:
Uselesscrab: Another great OM mod that is also super chill and really innovative. Free Z-Magnet Rise Magnezone tho.
E4 Flint: the man who was brought me 15-0 on YGOPro, thanks for the decks. Ur still corrupt tho until I hear ur voice.
Amoonguss: Straight from the sixth we have the heat OU player that chills in the OM community. Nah but to be real nice guy and probs has the best one-liners on Discord. Vote for my RMT nerd ;)
fsk: Friend from PO and has probs best work ethic I have ever seen when it comes to forum presence. Dw will post in suspect thread soon.
Fardin: Where I get my inspiration for most of my stall builds (apart from BH ofc), chill dude.
Kris: teh true MEMEDADDY

Registeel @ Eject Button
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Shore Up
- U-turn
- Defog

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Crabhammer
- Punishment
- Shore Up
- U-turn

Giratina @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Stealth Rock
- Shore Up
- Parting Shot

Chansey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 SPe
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Whirlwind
- Shore Up
- Perish Song

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Metal Burst
- Whirlwind
- Shore Up
- U-turn

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Perish Song
- King's Shield
- Disable

Merci!
Chun is the ultimate ninja of all time​

Attachments

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
There are couple things I would like to comment about your team:

Registeel:

I understand how you gave it Shed Shell to escape from Magnet Pull trappers and you have Magic Bounce which keeps you from getting Encored by Mega Gengar. But since Shed Shell helps you escape from both Magnet Pull trapper and Shadow Tag, why not try Registeel as a Prankster form which can stop setup sweepers that Mega Gyarados cannot handle? Also, I know Registeel is the most blanket check for -ate users that you have mentioned, but coverage moves such as Precipice Blades will have some chance to 2HKO Relaxed nature variants and having 100% chance to 2HKO Sassy ones. Of course, since having a bouncer is reliable, I would suggest using Mega Audino which can also deal with Core Enforcer spams which would bother your Gengar, Mega Gyarados, and Fur Coat Chansey / Giratina.

Mega Gyarados:

That set is viable. But, I personally think the best Unaware Gyarados set is:

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 188 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Pursuit
- Shore Up
- U-turn

I recommend Relaxed (+Def) nature so you can check Unburden Belly drum users such as Primal Groudon and Mega Metagross better which would otherwise immensely threaten your current team which doesnt have anything like Prankster Destiny Bond.

Speed EV lets you outspeed rare Deoxys-A at +2 (assuming you Spectral Thief the Shell Smash).

Spectral Thief is more reliable way to shut down down setup sweepers than Punishment except when you are dealing with Normal-type ones. And the only relevant Normal-type setup sweepers are... PH Regigigas, and Mega Gyarados can't stay in to use Punishment because Facade 2HKOes it and Fur Coat Giratina can deal with it in almost any relevant circumstances.

Pursuit is just necessary. It traps Mega Gengar which is the most prominent threat in the current suspect ladder, and it also traps MMY which may carry dangerous moves such as Sheer Force Earth Power, Choice Specs Fleur Cannon, Tinted Lens, or more.

The last 2 moves are ___.

Giratina:

That is exactly the same set I use so no comment. Prob you might want Spectral Thief if your Mega Gyarados won't have one.

Chansey:

Imposter one looks solid bc you won't lose speed tie! Yay! I thought Imposters are coded to win all speed ties but whatever.

Fur Coat Chansey is the most reliable answer to -ate users in your team, but it is also susceptible to opposing Gengarite users, so I would say get something that would threaten Gengar such as Pursuit Gyarados that I mentioned or Groudium Z Zygarde whose Z-move would bypass Encore and OHKO Gengar with surprise.

Gengar:

I like your creativity, but I would recommend carrying recovery because ever-so-common Stealth Rock will wear down Gengar, and carrying stuff like Strength Sap helps you eliminate stuff like Gyarados with Pursuit (does weak dmg if you dont switch).

Other than these, very well-thought-out team. :D

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok so first off thank you for the rate, I just wanted to clarify a bit on certain suggestions though and further explain why I kept certain things.

Registeel:

I understand how you gave it Shed Shell to escape from Magnet Pull trappers and you have Magic Bounce which keeps you from getting Encored by Mega Gengar. But since Shed Shell helps you escape from both Magnet Pull trapper and Shadow Tag, why not try Registeel as a Prankster form which can stop setup sweepers that Mega Gyarados cannot handle? Also, I know Registeel is the most blanket check for -ate users that you have mentioned, but coverage moves such as Precipice Blades will have some chance to 2HKO Relaxed nature variants and having 100% chance to 2HKO Sassy ones. Of course, since having a bouncer is reliable, I would suggest using Mega Audino which can also deal with Core Enforcer spams which would bother your Gengar, Mega Gyarados, and Fur Coat Chansey / Giratina.
A Steel-type was mandatory on this type of build, as while coverage moves can harm Registeel when it comes to checking certain -ate abusers, its Steel-typing offers too much defensive utility in checking other prominent attackers such as Dialga (which would otherwise wreck the team if I went with Mega Audino) and can help check Regigigas as well. Fur Coat Chansey can always be used as a secondary -ate check in any case.

While I did have Prankster previously, I opted to go for Magic Bounce since it synergized with the team better. Reflecting hazards are important for defensive teams especially since my Mega Gengar does not have a recovery move, while more importantly being able to check Normalize Mega Gengar, a threat that pretty much 6-0s the team otherwise. While Prankster Haze is useful for setup, the combination of Unaware Gyarados and two solid defensive walls in Fur Coat Giratina and Chansey alleviates this enough. Also Eject Button in tandem with Disable Mega Gengar is also a major benefit when using Magic Bounce Registeel.

Mega Gyarados:

That set is viable. But, I personally think the best Unaware Gyarados set is:

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 188 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Pursuit
- Shore Up
- U-turn

I recommend Relaxed (+Def) nature so you can check Unburden Belly drum users such as Primal Groudon and Mega Metagross better which would otherwise immensely threaten your current team which doesnt have anything like Prankster Destiny Bond.

Speed EV lets you outspeed rare Deoxys-A at +2 (assuming you Spectral Thief the Shell Smash).

Spectral Thief is more reliable way to shut down down setup sweepers than Punishment except when you are dealing with Normal-type ones. And the only relevant Normal-type setup sweepers are... PH Regigigas, and Mega Gyarados can't stay in to use Punishment because Facade 2HKOes it and Fur Coat Giratina can deal with it in almost any relevant circumstances.

Pursuit is just necessary. It traps Mega Gengar which is the most prominent threat in the current suspect ladder, and it also traps MMY which may carry dangerous moves such as Sheer Force Earth Power, Choice Specs Fleur Cannon, Tinted Lens, or more.

The last 2 moves are ___.
I also considered running a +Def nature on Gyara, however I realized that it can still check most physical setup sweepers such as Primal Groudon, Yveltal, and opposing Mega Gyarados even when equipped with Sassy. As shown in the calc I provided within the RMT:

+6 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gyarados-Mega: 227-268 (57.6 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Unaware Gyarados-Mega: 170-204 (43.1 - 51.7%) -- approx. 3.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Yveltal Power Trip (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Unaware Gyarados-Mega: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO

Sassy is also important in avoiding the 2HKO from Life Orb Obivion Wing Mega Rayquaza, something that is incredibly important due to the lack of Prankster Haze.

Spectral Thief is defintely an option, however I prefer Punishment since it gives Mega Gyarados more of an offensive presence against special setup sweepers such as Primal Kyogre, since otherwise Primal Kyogre can just PP stall Mega Gyarados or threaten to phaze it out with the combination of Leech Seed and Scald burns. If I would switch it out I would rather go for something more reliable such as Haze or Topsy-Turvy, but again its a preference.

Pursuit is not really necessary but I see the merit. The thing is that you really have a hard time Pursuiting Gar since King's Shield and Encore can really mitigate its chance of actually being able to catch it pivoting out. I prefer the consitancy of Crabhammer since it can actually threaten Primal Groudon and do good damage overall to a variety of threats. Pursuit was nice in EV limit, but I just dont find it suitable in this instance.

Chansey:

Fur Coat Chansey is the most reliable answer to -ate users in your team, but it is also susceptible to opposing Gengarite users, so I would say get something that would threaten Gengar such as Pursuit Gyarados that I mentioned or Groudium Z Zygarde whose Z-move would bypass Encore and OHKO Gengar with surprise.
Opposing Stag Gar is defintely a threat towards FC Chansey, but having two means of "escaping" in U-turn and Whirlwhind helps deal with Disable in any case. Z-Stone lures can work as a lure, but not only do I not have the flexibility into running it as an option since Z-Core Enforcer is not able to KO Gar (and Giratina would be the only possible mon that I would give a Z-Stone to). I had experimented with Zygarde previously, but Giratina's Fighting-type immunity on top of a less exploitable defensive typing persuaded me to not keep it. Z-Parting Shot offers more utility in giving Mega Gengar a second chance in trapping which is really important for this team.

Gengar:

I like your creativity, but I would recommend carrying recovery because ever-so-common Stealth Rock will wear down Gengar, and carrying stuff like Strength Sap helps you eliminate stuff like Gyarados with Pursuit (does weak dmg if you dont switch).
I changed to Protect + Disable since it helped trap common defensive pivots like Solgaleo, Mega Audino, and Zygarde-C more reliably. While this leads to issues of sustainbility, the support from Registeel and Giratina can usually mitigate this issue. King's Shields deals with Pursuit nontheless anyways.

Hopes this clarifies some of my decisions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)