Non-Pokébank OU Enter Decidueye - Peak #1 (83.9 GXE)

Hello everyone and welcome to my 1st S/M RMT.

So, Decidueye had so much potential, but game freak hates grass type starters. Meganium is arguably the worst starter and it is a grass type. Grass itself is not a very good typing.

Nevertheless, I decided to give Decidueye a chance, so I made this team around a double scarf core - Decidueye and Tapu Lele. And it works surprisingly well, without trying hard spamming tapus and ultra beasts.

So, before the team gets outdated, here it is, ladies and gentlemen.

Proof of peak:

I started with a double scarfer core, with Decidueye and the best Tapu, Lele. Decidueye hits both steel and poison types with neutral damage

The only thing stopping Tapu Lele were steel types. Celesteele and Skarm were everywhere. Thus, Magnezone, which also pairs up nicely with Decidueyes trapping abilities and u-turn.

To counter Metagross, I brought M-Gyara. Good coverage, ok speed and great offensive presence made this beast the perfect mon to the team, being able to hit hard Marowak-A and Toxapex.

Though Tapu Lele prevents priority damaging moves (which was so awesome early on, when people had no idea what psychic terrain did), some things are just too strong or too fast to be dealt with (Zygarde, with the right opportunity, v.g.). After all, I'm running 2 scarfers. So Mimikyu came, as the best revenge killer one could ask for.

Lastly, arguably the best offensive SR setter in the metagame right now, Lycanroc-Day. Good speed, Taunt preventing others from going for hazards of their own.

Cornacyl (Lycanroc) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt/Accelrock
- Stone Edge/Accelrock

Lead Lycanroc-Day is the best offensive SR setter atm. The combination of taunt and very good speed makes so that it outclasses Smeargle, Mamoswine and custap Skarmory, at least for the team.
Anyways, I can't really say it is "standard", cause, well, everything is new, but it is as a standard lead as possible: sash, max speed, SR, Taunt. Toxic to wear down the opponent after rocks are on (his/her side of) the field and stone edge so that it doesnt become taunt bait.
Since Mamoswine is everywhere, you might want to run Accelrock to break its sash, in case it decides to EQ turn 1 as you go for SR.

Lt. Surge (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Next, comes the best tapu. This thing is so dangerous to stall and to teams that heavily rely on priority. With very little support, it can punch big holes.
I chose to run scarf Lele cause everything is so fast rn and otherwise i would not have anything to outspeed Pheromosa.
Anyways, psychic and moonblast for STAB, HP fire to catch Scizors (and maybe weakened Metagross), and Psyshock to hit Chansey hard, 2hkoing after rocks.

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 286-337 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Which is also why I like to run modest.

Mega-Gourgeist (Decidueye) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle
- Brave Bird
Another "standard" set: scarf Decidueye. Spirit shackle is so good. Dealing decent damage, it traps the opponent to I can go to a better mon, forcing them to stay in, whichis absolutely amazing when paired with Magnezone. Leaf blade is a good reliable STAB. Brave bird for Tapu Bulu and opposing grass type mons, u-turn to grab momentum if the idea is to not let the opponent set up on the sshackle. It is also a good spin blocker.

Busted (Mimikyu) @ Focus Sash / Ghostium Z / Lum Berry/ Red Card
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Not 1, not 2, but 3 opportunities to beat any opposing mon. This is what Mimikyu gives me, paired with Lycanroc, which can often keep hazards away from the field. 2 turns are guaranteed. Thus, Mimikyu can feel so many roles, such as a revenge killer, a set up sweeper or a wallbreaker, all of which it does reliably and without getting overloaded with "tasks".
Anyways, for that very reason, and the fact that I run lead Lycanroc, I run sash Mimikyu (I am pretty sure they have fixed the mimikyu sash bug, but it was very frustrating when it occured).
Shadow claw and Play rough for perfect STAB neutral coverage (until a poison/normal mon comes), SD is also obvious, sneak for priority reasons. In any case, Mimikyu is busted.

Tbh, I haven't really tried it yet, but people are just spamming Mamoswine to guarantee SR, so one might as well bring Lum Berry or Ghostium Z over Sash. It makes perfect sense imo. Even Red Card can help checking opposing set up sweepers. All of those options seem to be more interesting than Sash right now, unless you really like leading Mimikyu.

UFO (Magnezone) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Mirror Coat
Electric types are everywhere. People are just spamming Tapu Koko, Porygon-Z and Xurkitree, as well as tbolt Gengar and tbolt Tapu Lele, to name a few. Magnezone comes in as a solid counter to most of these mons, being able to trap Skarmory and counter non-EQ Celesteeles, and threatning Toxapex. Right now, Magnezone is one of the most useful/versatile mons running around. To optimize its utility, I'm running Emvee's AV set, with mirror coat and a lot of SpD, while being also able to switch moves, which can catch enemies of guard. The rest is standard: volt switch for momentum, flash cannon as a reliable STAB, hp fire for steel types. Next.

Release Me (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Waterfall

In the last spot, Mega-Gyarados. I decided DD 3 attacks was the way to go cause that EQ coverage is necessary mostly for Toxapex and to deal some damage to Tapu Fini. There isn't much to say about gyara besides that, honestly.

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

If you really want it, you can choose to run Raichu over Magnezone or even Lycanroc. Lead Raichu guarantees to take down Mamoswine with fake out+grass knot. I have tried it on a few teams, including this (instead both, lycanroc and magnezone), and it is a great way to get rid of SR.

Type: Null can put work v. the team, specially because I have no fighting coverage.

Celesteela is also a threat. Offensive Celesteela can sweep my team, but it needs to be running Seed Bomb to hit Gyara reliably, which i've only seen once. Defensive Celesteelas are also dangerous. If it is offensive on the special side, it represents absolutely no danger, unless it is some crazy EQ set. I imagine myself running that.

The team is also weak to opposing Gyaras. If rocks are somehow up on my side, it's GG, cause mold breaker makes so that I can't revenge with Mimikyu and it tanks 1 hit from Tapu Lele.

Toxapex is annoying, so I am just putting it here, since tspikes give the team a hard time. The team has the tools to beat it, though (mostly Lele, but also Magnezone and EQ Gyara).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484333236 (v. toxapex/skarm core).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-483719073 (awesome game).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-483679884 (v. top 5, Mimikyu ftw).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-482715191 (bug happened, Mimikyu lost sash and disguise in the same turn).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-482671015
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-482661969 (v. baton pass).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-482625755 (bug once more v. tryhard team).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-482402217 (v. standard ladder team).
I don't have any replays v. stall, but I managed to get like 2/3 wins. Tapu Lele is very good in thatsense.

Team overview
I'm amazed I got to #1 with a Decidueye standard team. I mean, aside from Tapu Lele, I could use this team in a playthrough.
As said, the team was built around double scarf, Decidueye and Tapu Lele (best starter, best Tapu), cause everything is so fast these days. I guess that catches people off-guard.
Magnezone pairs so very well with Decidueye. Spirit Shackle + Magnezone is busted. You can trap Celesteele and Skarmory (though Celesteele will take more than 1 volt switch to go down), for example, and then go Magnezone the very next turn with easy. Or just U-turn. AV zone (nice emvee's special) also counters/checks all tapus but Bulu (which can't really switch in on Magnezone) and a few UB, as well as Toxapex and Magearna. And it has good type synergy with Tapu Lele. In return, Decidueye pressures Marrowak and can wear down Tapu Bulu with Brave Bird.
Lycanroc is the best SR dedicated lead right now.
Mimikyu is my revenge killer, setup sweeper and wincon in so many games. Awesome typing, great ability, I can definitely see it in OU.
Last, Gyara comes with the ability to set up, as well as the necessary EQ to take down Toxapex and Magearna, and all the eletric types running around, after 1 DD. It also checks Aegislash (which got banned).
So, yeah, for people like me that do not like to run the most standard tapu/beast spam, this is a very good team to have some fun.
I do warn you, though, that I managed to ladder during the very beggining of S/M, and people are learning how to play now.

Lt. Surge (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mega-Gourgeist (Decidueye) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle
- Brave Bird

Cornacyl (Lycanroc) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Busted (Mimikyu) @ Red Card
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

UFO (Magnezone) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Mirror Coat

Release Me (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Waterfall

Shout out to Joey Pokeaim for using this team in a live!

Last edited:

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi Marcelloc, nice team you have here and grats for the peak.
I tried this team a bit in pokebank ou and I gotta say it works there really well too (I've got 40-0 w/l rate and I'm still climbing).
Like you said Toxapex is really annoying that's why I'd suggest you to put the Ghostium Z over the focus sash, which is useless honestly. This helps Mimikyu sweeping fat teams or breaking down particulary bulky mons like Toxapex. You can also try Lum Berry in order to sword dance being not worried about a toxic or an eventual scald burn.

That's all, hope I helped you :toast:

Last edited:
Hey just one small thing that might help you with Celesteela: Replace one of Tapu Lele's moves with Thunderbolt. On my Tapu Lele, Thunderbolt will often OHKO Celesteela. My Lele does have Choice Specs so idk if it will OHKO without specs.

Hey just one small thing that might help you with Celesteela: Replace one of Tapu Lele's moves with Thunderbolt. On my Tapu Lele, Thunderbolt will often OHKO Celesteela. My Lele does have Choice Specs so idk if it will OHKO without specs.
People are spamming Celesteela, yeah, but I think HP is more important. Maybe running only psyshock could be a good idea, but it is not like Lele is a good check to Celesteela in the first place. Catching it on the switch is nice, though, I'll try.

People are spamming Celesteela, yeah, but I think HP is more important. Maybe running only psyshock could be a good idea, but it is not like Lele is a good check to Celesteela in the first place. Catching it on the switch is nice, though, I'll try.
I was trying out your team and Thunderbolt doesn't OHKO Celesteela but Volt Switch Magnezone to Lele Tbolt often gets the job done.

I was trying out your team and Thunderbolt doesn't OHKO Celesteela but Volt Switch Magnezone to Lele Tbolt often gets the job done.
when I was laddering with this team, i used to volt switch into decidueye to avoid leech seed and u-turn back to zone. But yeah, celesteela is everywehre. It will get banned eventually, imo. It is over centralizing.

People are also spamming Mamoswine. Maybe running taunt on gyara can be a good option, though the team is not weak to SR.

Hey, congrats on getting number 1. I'm thinking of using this team but with DD Dragonite instead of Mega-Gyra. Possibly Lum Berry, or Draconium-Z. Maybe the Fly Nite set. What do you think?

Hey, congrats on getting number 1. I'm thinking of using this team but with DD Dragonite instead of Mega-Gyra. Possibly Lum Berry, or Draconium-Z. Maybe the Fly Nite set. What do you think?
I think Dnite is pretty solid right now. Is Extreme Speed legal already? No, right (I just clicked validate and it told me it wasn't legal). I think it might be the case to run EQ, Fire punch and DClaw. I do not think you can run Adamant, cause otherwise Tapu Koko outspeeds even after 1 DD.

I haven't tried, but watch out for Mamoswine, since Gyara counters it reliably and it is everywhere.

I think Dnite is pretty solid right now. Is Extreme Speed legal already? No, right (I just clicked validate and it told me it wasn't legal). I think it might be the case to run EQ, Fire punch and DClaw. I do not think you can run Adamant, cause otherwise Tapu Koko outspeeds even after 1 DD.

I haven't tried, but watch out for Mamoswine, since Gyara counters it reliably and it is everywhere.
I think Thunder Punch might be better 'cause it hits Tapu Fini, Toxapex, and Celesteela.

Marcelloc2, if possible, if your team update after, can you edit your post with the new changes? thanks! And, nice team!

Marcelloc2, if possible, if your team update after, can you edit your post with the new changes? thanks! And, nice team!
I put Red Card over Sash on Mimikyu cause people are spamming Mamoswine hard to make sure they get rocks, so sash is quite pointless.

If Mamoswine is giving the team a hard time, put accelrock on lycanroc so that it can break sash 100%.

Last edited:

GeniusX

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I put Red Card over Sash on Mimikyu cause people are spamming Mamoswine hard to make sure they get rocks, so sash is quite pointless.

If Mamoswine is giving the team a hard time, put accelrock on lycanroc so that it can break sash 100%.
Hey, I just wanted to say that this is a really good team and i used it to success on the ladder. (I also fought you once when u were using ur trick room team on The real guzzLORD or something like that =]) Anyways i just wanted to say that after using this team a lot, i feel like accelerock over toxic on lycanroc is definitely the right choice to break sash on lead mamo as it allows gyara to sweep way easier. I just want to ask what is red card on mimikyu is for. I tried using lum over sash but it didn't work out very well so if red card is a viable alternative i will definitely go for it. Thx :)

Hey, I just wanted to say that this is a really good team and i used it to success on the ladder. (I also fought you once when u were using ur trick room team on The real guzzLORD or something like that =]) Anyways i just wanted to say that after using this team a lot, i feel like accelerock over toxic on lycanroc is definitely the right choice to break sash on lead mamo as it allows gyara to sweep way easier. I just want to ask what is red card on mimikyu is for. I tried using lum over sash but it didn't work out very well so if red card is a viable alternative i will definitely go for it. Thx :)
Red card makes so that any mon that attack the holder is forced to switch out. So, let's say the opponent has a +6 Scizor. It punches Mimikyu. Mimikyu takes no damage due to disguise and the Scizor is forced out.

I love your team and i'm using it in both OU and pokebank with great results. So thank you :)

I Made these changes to try to improve the team for my Playstyle, maybe someone would find them useful.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The speed EVs Are used to outspeed pheromosa (a big threat for this team), the rest in bulk.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

The speed Evs Are used to outspeed uninvested mega scizor. I think it's important trapkill scizor. With your spread he can escape with U-Turn. I prefer the power of thunderbolt instead of mirror coat

Mimikyu @ Red Card
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Red card instead of sash to stop setup sweepers (except of mega gyara), i prefer bulk over speed because with 228 uninvested speed he still outspeed bulky mons and with full invested speed (291 with adamant) he is still ouspeeded by the majority of offensive mons (especially in non pokebank OU)

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Waterfall

With this set gyarados is the perfect stallbreaker. Prankster immunity, with his ability he can taunt even mega sableye! He can also resist a + 2 foul play thanks to his typing. In stall playstyle he suffers only scald burn, quagsire (not in normal OU), tapu bulu and a little tapu fini and mandibuzz (but he can beat them 1v1). Adamant over jolly because of better matchup against stall.

Last but not least...

Edit: tapu bulu doesn't work very well

Last edited:
I've tried out your team and I love it! I'm really a scrub but I'm having a lot of fun playing around with it. So thanks!

I have a few questions I'd like to ask you.

First off, is there really a reason to use Decidueye besides it being really cool? I feel like its just too slow. Even with scarf, it often gets outsped and is near useless vs any boosted mon because it'll often just get OHKOed and not do anything (it's very possible I'm just using it wrong tho). I feel like I'd often be better off with scarfed Bulu. Is that a viable alternative or is the Marowak check too important?

Speaking of Bulu, how do I check it? It's often a pain to beat, Lele only 2HKOs with HP and Bulu OHKOs back with Megahorn. Magnezone dies to superpower and Gyarados can't ever touch it either. In fact, there's not a single mon on the team that beats it 1v1 to my knowledge. Is there something I could add to the team to deal with Bulu better?

Thanks a lot!

I've tried out your team and I love it! I'm really a scrub but I'm having a lot of fun playing around with it. So thanks!

I have a few questions I'd like to ask you.

First off, is there really a reason to use Decidueye besides it being really cool? I feel like its just too slow. Even with scarf, it often gets outsped and is near useless vs any boosted mon because it'll often just get OHKOed and not do anything (it's very possible I'm just using it wrong tho). I feel like I'd often be better off with scarfed Bulu. Is that a viable alternative or is the Marowak check too important?

Speaking of Bulu, how do I check it? It's often a pain to beat, Lele only 2HKOs with HP and Bulu OHKOs back with Megahorn. Magnezone dies to superpower and Gyarados can't ever touch it either. In fact, there's not a single mon on the team that beats it 1v1 to my knowledge. Is there something I could add to the team to deal with Bulu better?

Thanks a lot!
Hey, buddy, thanks for the feedback!
For decidueye, I believe it grants the team a lot of momentum, either by u-turning, either by sshackle something until it is weak enough, so the next mon can revenge, or so that something else can sweep. Early on the ladder, the 2 scarfers were also quite a surprise, though, yes, Decidueye reaches 393 speed.
Anyways, it checks M-Metagross and also Tapu Bulu, to some extent, so that Lele can have a field day.
But hey, i've seen people running everything over Decidueye (from Dhelmise to Graninja), so, be my guest!

You built an amazing team, congratulations! I was just thinking about Nihilego as a Rock-Type lead which could be a wincon besides Mega Gyarados but you should do without the priority move and some speed control. Great team again! ;)
Nihilego @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire / Thunderbolt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)