ORAS RU ejecting styles from my lethal weapon

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion

Dont mind my art emboar is p hard to draw so heres a choice banded ham

Its been some time since i dropped my last #1 ladder peaking RMT in 2014. So before the ORAS era comes to an end, I thought it was fitting to RMT one of the most succesful RU teams I’ve made in a while, having had succes in tours such as Grand Slam, while it simultaneously helped a ton of people achieve requirements for the Alomomola and Dugtrio suspect tests. Since the chance Dugtrio will stay after this suspect test is p much nil, I thought I’d share it with the rest of the community who hasn’t taken notice of this team yet.

The concept of the team was centered around a certain useful item if abused in the right way: Eject Button. An item that lets you switch out to anything you want if the holder gets hit by an attacking move that isnt affected by Pokémon with Sheer Force. After looking for ways to abuse trapping in RU to the fullest with Dugtrio and multiple good Pursuit users in the tier while taking inspiration from Corporal Levi’s RMT, I decided I could pull off a similar strategy that abuses it even more than just having it once on Mienfoo by implementing certain techs. So without further ado, lets look into what I cooked up!

The Team

@

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe

Bold Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Scald

- Future Sight

- Recycle

- Slack Off

I picked Slowking as my mon to abuse Eject Button with. Not only does it have Regenerator, which is almost always a must to have as your ability if you’re going to try to pull off this strategy, but it also has certain assets to set it apart from a mon like Alomomola, namely its higher offensive presence, immediate recovery move and Fighting resistance. However, its access to the moves Recycle and Future Sight are what I require most to pull off the strategy, letting it eject out to a trapper or a wallbreaker multiple times in a game, or setting up to break a wall with Future Sight+a hit from a wallbreaker. The spread is full physically defensive, since this is my only Fighting resist.

I have considered using other moves over Future Sight like Signal Beam or Thunder Wave that will help me check certain troublesome sweepers better, but I feel the help it brings to wallbreaking is just too good to pass up.

@

Ability: Arena Trap

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

IVs: 29 HP

- Earthquake

- Aerial Ace

- Stone Edge / Toxic / Sucker Punch

- Protect

Dugtrio is ofcourse the next member you need to have if utilizing an Eject Button strategy. It requires almost zero prediction with Slowking, as it lets you bring in Dugtrio for free to trap whatever you feel like. I went for Life Orb here because I felt the switching ability would be preffered more here than the power, while I can also deal with the LO recoil by still trapping Registeel through forcing them to Seismic Toss my own Registeel or Drapion, bringing in Slowking and ejecting out. Aerial Ace should be on any Dugtrio set by now as the opportunity to trap Virizion is just too good to pass up, but the last two potential moves are kind of oddballs. I will go deeper into the usage of Protect first. When I was just using this team as a troll team a few months ago, I thought it was funny to switch Slowking in on choiced High Jump Kick users like Medicham and Hitmonlee, letting you bring in Dugtrio on them and forcing them to stay in, effectively stripping away 50% of their HP because of Protect. But later on as I got more experience with this team, I noticed the other uses it had in scouting the likes of choiced mons that try to Pursuit me like Scarf Drapion and CB Sneasel, as well as certain choiced electrics like Scarf Magneton or Rotom-C. I was even somehow able to pull of trapping a defensive Venusaur with Protect at some point by using Future Sight with Slowking and in some way bringing in Dugtrio, Protect on the turn it activated, and then finishing it off with an Earthquake.

Stone Edge I feel is very useful fort he likes of Scyther and Sigilyph. Toxic lets you trap a wall and force a troublesome status on it if they have nothing else on their team to trap, or it can put defensive Flygon on a timer if you predict a U-turn. Sucker Punch is useful for finishing off other Dugtrio, or certain scarfers weak to the move.

@

Ability: Sniper

EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Knock Off

- Poison Jab

- Pursuit

- Ice Fang / Earthquake / Toxic Spikes

The third member of the core is a Pursuit-trapper. While there are other candidates like Sneasel, Spiritomb and Houndoom, I feel like Drapion fits the best here for its ability to run Choice Scarf effectively and remove Toxic Spikes, which are very dangerous to this team seeing as there would be 4 affected members otherwise. The spread lets it outspeed base 80 scarfers like Braviary and Medicham. The ability is a bit of a toss-up, while Battle Armor avoids crits, Sniper can sometimes be clutch against certain sweepers that set up their defense. Stabs and Pursuit are always mandatory for Drapion, but the last slot can be changed. Usually i prefer Ice Fang to take down Flygon or Flinchhax through defensive Venusaur, but Earthquake for opposing Drapion or Toxic Spikes to pressure certain archetypes are perfectly viable. As for how it works with Slowking, usually the only things it revenge kills after Slowking ejects out are Sigilyph, Flygon and Meloetta. It doesnt just limit itself to trapping though, since it packs quite a punch with an Adamant nature and decent strong stabs, being able to pick off Sneasel, Jolteon and Virizion.

@

Ability: Clear Body

EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpA / 216 SpD / 16 Spe

Calm Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Seismic Toss

- Thunderbolt / Protect

- Toxic

Registeel was an easy pick for a rocker as it is the most reliable one in the tier right now because of its extreme bulk and good monosteel typing, letting it check a variety of dangerous mons like Venusaur and Exploud. I’m almost always rocking the 24 Spatk Thunderbolt tech on it since Braviary is always a threat, but if you’re not scared of that Protect is always nice for scouting. Bronzong could be an option too for its added ground immune and not getting trapped by Dugtrio, however, Registeel’s soft-checking to Sneasel and Escavalier would be missed, as well as its ability to deal with Braviary.

@

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe

- Volt Switch

- Leaf Storm

- Hidden Power [Fire] / Thunderbolt

- Trick

For my 5th slot i decided on Rotom-C because of its unique traits. Being a Grass-type with a ground immunity and access to Volt Switch, it could further aid the trapping core with its spurts of momentum. It’s solid mid-tier speed lets it get the jump on potentially scary wallbreakers like Sawk, Magneton and Exploud, taking them out swiftly with a high powered STAB move. The set is standard outside of HP Fire, something i require to mitigate the defensive Venusaur weakness, and take unsuspecting Abomasnow and Escavalier by surprise, though I do miss Thunderbolt sometimes vs Braviary. Trick is also an absolute must for its ability to deal with annoying conservative boosters like Cosmic Power Sigilyph and Curse Registeel.

@

Ability: Reckless

Adamant Nature

- Flare Blitz

- Wild Charge

- Superpower

- Sucker Punch

Choice Band Emboar, a set that is barely ever seen anymore because the E-Belt set is favored, was picked as my last member, for its ability to check Sneasel and ridiculous wallbreaking capability, letting it even power through Malamar. It’s simple in what it does, just firing off powerful STAB or Reckless boosted whenever it gets a chance to come in, and trust me if I say that something will usually die. Priority in the form of CB Sucker Punch is amazing for picking off weaker attackers such as Dugtrio or Jolteon, so I wouldn’t want to trade that with extra coverage like Heavy Slam.

Threats:
- Giant threat due to its typing, bulk and setup moves. I can handle all variants except for Dragon Dance.
- Similar pain in the ass to Scrafty, except its defensive so Emboar can power through it or I can Trick it in time with Rotom/do enough damage to a point its trappable.
- Spikestack is superthreatening to this team since there are 5 grounded mons without any hazard control, so these must be taken care of asap by Rotom-C/Drapion.

Notable replays:

DennisEG vs Ciele(RU open finals)

Hack vs Advantage(Grand Slam)

Kushalos vs bad ru player

Natalie vs Christo

Natalie vs Laurens

Natalie vs barton

Don Honch vs Tricking

Slowking @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Recycle
- Slack Off

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Toxic
- Protect

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpA / 216 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic

Drapion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Ice Fang

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Emboar @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch

With this another generation of RU is about to come to an end. It’s been a blast building and playing and I hope to grace SuMo RU with my presence once again. See you in the next generation space cowboy.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)