Metagame Early XY Little Cup Metagame Discussion

Early XY Little Cup Metagame

Overview:

The early XY LC metagame has many, many differences than the current ORAS LC metagame. At the time, the metagame was incredibly offensive and undeveloped. With insane threats in the metagame, namely Swirlix and Gligar, were running rampant. In a nutshell, the tier revolved around setting up and trying to check these threats. One very unexplored Pokemon was Fletchling, which actually checks nearly all of the unbanned Pokemon. The purpose of this thread is to discuss this metagame, what's a threat, and what you use to counter said threats. Below is a list of what's banned, what's unbanned, useful links, a threatlist, a Sample Team, and a Viability Rankings and Speed tiers list is being worked on! Scroll down for more information.​

Banlist:

Scyther and Sneasel are banned.
Moody is banned.
Sonic Boom and Dragon Rage are banned.
Species Clause, Sleep Clause, OHKO Clause, and Evasion Clause are all in effect.
What Isn't Banned:

Swagger is allowed.
Gligar, Swirlix, Meditite, Yanma, Tangela, Murkrow, and Misdreavus are all allowed.​

Useful Links:

Speed Tiers

These tiers are just for the newly introduced Pokemon. Use them alongside the other one, made by Aaron's Aron, to see what they outspeed!

Pokemon, EVs(+ signifies a + nature), stat hit, boosts [why]​
Tangela, 236, 30, +2 [Chlorophyll Active]
Yanma, 236+, 30, +1 [Speed Boost]
Gligar, 236+, 28, +1 [Choice Scarf]
Swirlix, 204, 28, +2 [Unburden activated]
Meditite, 196+, 24, +1 [Choice Scarf]
Meditite, 196, 22, +1 [Choice Scarf]
Yanma, 236+, 20
Gligar, 236+, 19
Murkrow, 188, 19
Yanma, 236, 19
Meditite, 196+, 16
Meditite, 196, 15
Tangela, 236, 15
Swirlix, 204, 14
Discuss!

approval to post this from QuoteCS.

Ah, Tangma was a fun meta, and the meta that got me into LC. So nostalgic values aside, Tangma was so offensive. It is what I would call the tame LC ubers, and was so much fun to play, and even more fun to play again. Pivot Tangela, Hypnosis Compoundeyes Yanma, Gligar, Murkrow, Tit, and the most powerful of all these Pokemon Swirlix. I am astounded that the LC community only found out how Powerful Swirlix was until after Tangma, and into Swirlgar. Belly Drum was the weakest set, and it was very powerful, CGCM Swirlix was sheer broken, and Swirlix had no counters and barely checks. Haze Murkrow :O. So much nostalgia. I wish I was better at this meta.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This meta honestly reminds me of how good Munchlax was early on. It walled a lot of the prominent Special Attackers and had some sort of tool to hit them all back hard. Also, like mentioned by Alphose, please include Misdreavus in the speed tiers.

Reactions: zf

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It has come to my (and Omastar42's) attention that the true CGCM Swirlix counter, Endure Psych Up Clear Smog Drifloon, is an illegality due to Endure only being acquirable prior to Gen 5, and Clear Smog only existing from Gen 5 on. Due to the lack of moveset legality checks in Custom Game mode, the original demolition Drifloon caused went by without any kinks, but it wasn't long before this dream, too, went out to pasture. This seems like the best place to retire one of the few sets I've ever innovated, and certainly the only good one so far, before it even had a chance to shine.

~~~
~~~

RIP In Pieces
EndureSmog Drifloon
2015-2015

Last edited:
It has come to my (and Omastar42's) attention that the true CGCM Swirlix counter, Endure Psych Up Clear Smog Drifloon, is an illegality due to Endure only being acquirable prior to Gen 5, and Clear Smog only existed from Gen 5 on. Due to the lack of moveset legality checks in Custom Game mode, the original demolition Drifloon caused went by without any kinks, but it wasn't long before this dream, too, went out to pasture. This seems like the best place to retire one of the few sets I've ever innovated, and certainly the only good one so far, before it even had a chance to shine.

~~~
~~~

RIP In Pieces
EndureSmog Drifloon
2015-2015
It gets haze

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It gets haze
Haze does not allow you to inflict the fury of a thousand fiery suns upon your foe, as it removes Drifloon's stat changes as well. Like I said, RIP In Pieces

EDIT CAUSE I DONT WANNA POST AGAIN: The whole point of the set was Psych Up. Using Haze would clear Drifloon's Psyched Up boosts as well as Swirlix's. It also ran Clear Smog / Shadow Ball coverage.

Last edited:
Haze does not allow you to inflict the fury of a thousand fiery suns upon your foe, as it removes Drifloon's stat changes as well. Like I said, RIP In Pieces
p sure it doesn't get rid of unburden and means that the fury of a thousand suns will be that stab acrobatics in its face.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)