Dugtrio (Revamp) [QC 1/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
QC: p2

GP:

[OVERVIEW]

• Arena Trap allows Dugtrio to trap specific threats
  • Having 120 base speed and being ground-type, can eliminate fast electrics such as Raikou and Mega Manectric, also trap some Rocks-type such as Mega Diancie, Tyranitar and Terrakion, and some fire-types as Heatran and Volcanion
  • Screech allow Dugtrio to beat pokemons such as Chansey and Clefable, lowering their defense
  • Its low bulk makes it very fragile, in fact this thing prevents Dugtrio to switch on everything, because would lose too much life
  • Its low bulk is also an advantage, because it allows Dugtrio to have a powerful Reversal

[SET]
name: Trapper
Move 1: Earthquake
Move 2: Reversal
Move 3: Screech
Move 4: Memento / Stealth Rock
item: Focus Sash
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
ivs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Earthquake is the main STAB of Dugtrio which allows him to OHKO the trapped Heatran, Magnezone, Scarf Tyranitar, Raikou, Mega Diancie, Volcanion and Terrakion
  • Reversal is a very powerful move that combined with the Dugtrio'a Low bulk becomes a powerful 200 base power move, which is able to eliminate chansey, Air ballon Heatran, Ferrothorn
  • Screech allows Dugtrio to lower the Clefable's and Chansey's defense , thus allowing him to beat them in 1v1
  • Memento allows Dugtrio allows to gain momentum and lowering the opponent's attacks, and thus facilitates a teammate's Set-up
  • Stealth rock is a great option move if you don't have a setup sweeper in the team

Set Details
========
  • 252 in atk evs guarantee the best attack possible, useful for revenge kill pokemon to trap
  • I recommend using 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD IV, that allow Dugtrio to survive two Seismic toss and have low defenses to take more damage, so as to make better use of Reversal.
  • A + Speed nature is recommended for outspeed Keldeo, Raikou, Thundurus-I, Mega Diancie, Scarf Tyranitar.
  • Focus Sash allows Dugtrio to take an hit and hit back a specific threats such as Mega Diancie, Tyranitar, Terrakion and Volcanion.

Usage Tips
========
  • Dugtrio is a really fragile pokemon, so I would recommend utilize him in volturn cores, the Volturn helps Dugtrio to get free in the field and trap threats.
  • It is also wise to analyze the preview team to try to take advantage of the battle starts, you can even try to do double switch, which can be decisive in a battle.
  • Advised not to do hard switching with Dugtrio, since its have a really low bulk, try to always play safe with Dugtrio exploiting Volturn
  • Dugtrio is able to dealing with the electrics pokemon, Charizard x, Heatran, the threat to trap.
  • Be careful using Dugtrio, it is always recommended to prevent hazard opponents not to break the sash, and you must avoid making risky switch
Team Options
========
  • Flying Type as Talonflame, Togekiss , who appreciate the removal of Heatran and Tyranitar, a special mention for Tornadus-Therian and mega Pidgeot that run u-turn, allowing Dugtrio to get free and kill the threats.
  • Dragon types that lack of ground coverage, as Latios, Latias and Charizard X (if not have EQ) appreciate the removal of scarf Tyranitar, Heatran.
  • Volcarona, Serperior, appreciate the removal of Heatran if running HP ground, because they are walled by Heatran as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss.
  • Dugtrio needs support for hazards, so a rapid spinner or defogger is appreciated, even mega Sableye is a good teammate, this does not like to deal with Heatran, Charizard X, and Clefable, that eliminates Dugtrio, in exchange mega Sableye prevents hazards on the field.
  • Dugtrio appreciates volturn, which helps him to come and trap their targets, making it easier sweep of teammates once eliminated these, volturn good teammate are Tornadus Therian, Mega Pidgeot and Magnezone, who can exploit U-turn and Volt switches respectively to trap their counters.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========
Choice Band is a good choice if you want to give power to Dugtrio, which is useful to hit better stuff like Volcanion and Tyranitar without rocks up, Endure + Custap berry is an interesting options that allows Dugtrio to outspeed and hit fast threats as mega Manectric, Sand Rush Excadrill, +1 mega Charizard X, Scarf Terrakion and mega Lopunny. Sucker punch is a great option for Dugtrio, which allows you to hit Gengar, Latios, Mega Alakazam, this move is recommended if the team needs a specific utility to beat these threats, However, using this set, you have a limit of one move, then become a set-up fodder for many set-up sweepers, Pursuit is an highly appreciated move in this set, which is great to trap Ghost-type and Psychic-type as Gengar and Latios when they are running away from a possible Sucker Punch. Toxic is a really interesting choice to cripple bulky waters such as Rotom-w, Slowbro and grass type such as Tangrowth, and ground types such as tankchomp and Landorus-therian in the switch, finally Protect is a good choice to prevent Fake out by mega Lopunny and mega Sableye preserving the sash.

Checks and Counters
================
** Physically Bulky Pokemons ** Gliscor, Skarmory, Landorus-therian, TankChomp.
** Bulky Water Types ** Slowbro, Manaphy, Suicune, Rotom-W.
** Grass Types ** Serperior, Tangrowth, Celebi, Mega Venusaur, Breloom.
** Priority users** Scizor, Azumarill, Breloom, Talonflame, Bisharp

Last edited:

Sun

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
now it looks like a very solid, very solid set of the most sash in my opinion, thanks for letting me know, looking forward to QC members :)

p2

Banned deucer.
we will be going with reymedy's custap set

overview
mention that arena trap also lets dugtrio trap mega diancie, tyranitar, and heatran which is one of the main reason duggy is decent right now. also a couple of other big threats like terrakion and volcanion.
you need to make more of a point of its frailty because it's near impossible to switch dugtrio into anything
remove mentions of focus sash

moves
Move 3: Endure
Move 4: Stone Edge
item: Custap Berry

endure allows dugtrio to live any hit and outspeed it the next turn with custap berry, making it a more effective revenge killer for zards / faster elecs / exca / scarftran etc.

set details
mention max attack investment
a +speed nature also outspeeds scarf tyranitar which pretty important for dugtrio to trap, remove gengar and latios from here since dugtrio can't do anything to them, and add terrakion
you can specify that custap berry here along with endure lets it take on faster threats like i just mentioned above

usage tips
mention that it's advised against hard switching dugtrio in against anything since it doesn't have the safety net of sash anymore
mention that you would use endure against a faster threat that can ohko dugtrio, and then pick it off with the appropriate move next turn

team options
i think this seems a bit vague and a bit over the place so just simplify it to specific types and pokemon

flying types - talonflame, togekiss, torn-t, all of which appreciate fast rock types removed. specifically mention tornadus-t since it commonly runs uturn.
serperior and volcarona lacking hp ground as well as venusaur / amoonguss are walled to hell by heatran and dugtrio can remove it for them.
dragons that lack ground coverage should also be given a mention ie latis
can also add on that stuff like zard x likes having faster rock types removed which on top of memento support make it much easier to set up
when you mention voltturn, give some examples of mons that can provide this for dugtrio.

other options
choice band should have a strong mention here (more reliable for stuff like volcanion) and give focus sash a weak mention and say that sash is more fitting on teams with magic bounce support like sableye stalls.

c&c
no point of mentioning hazards when they annoy nearly everything in the game.

1/3

Sobi

Banned deucer.
okie dokie, just got some comments, feel free to look over them but ya don't have to

• Amazing ability that allows Dugtrio to trap specific threats
    • may seem obvious to experienced player but it might be worth specifying this, this change will most likely happen in the GP stage as well so it's better to change it now but up to you
  • can eliminate fast electrics such as Raikou, mega Manectric, Mega Diancie, Heatran, Tyranitar, Volcanion and Terrakion
    • last time I checked, Mega Diancie wasn't an Electric-type, so might wanna change this part, is there a specific category these mons belong to? if so, mention it seperately

[SET]
Move 3: Endure
Move 4: Stone Edge
item: Custap Berry
ability is missing so yeah, ability: Arena Trap (might wanna uncapitalise the "m" in "move" as well, but that's the GP members job !_!)
  • Custap berry eliminates faster threats such as mega Lopunny, Scarf Heatran, Mega Alakazam, Terrakion Scarf, Scarf Jirachi, Charizard X, Sand Rush and Scarf Excadrill
    • The Berry doesn't eliminate them, the berry lets Dugtrio move first, allowing it to take them out before they can attack, so might wanna reword this.
  • For Strategy comments, i'm sure some of the alternatives you mentioned have drawbacks, ie: they aren't all perfect which is why they are in that section so maybe talk about why you wouldn't straight away recommend them
that's all i could think of, good job

Is really worth that set?

Custap berry + Endure allow Dugtrio to be a good revenge killer for threats such as Mega lopunny, scarfTran, Scarf Jirachi, mega Manectric, Charizard X.

With a Salac Berry you can outspeed all this threats bar +2 Mega Charizard-X.
You even outspeed Adamant Excadrill in Sandstorm at +1 with Salac berry.
Not sure if it's a showdown bug or not but I see a replay when Bullet Punch Mega metagross was faster than Dugtrio using a Custap Berry (and the dugtrio was Jolly, yes).

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if it's a showdown bug or not but I see a replay when Bullet Punch Mega metagross was faster than Dugtrio using a Custap Berry (and the dugtrio was Jolly, yes).
Custap Berry only makes you go first in the priority bracket, so Bullet Punch would outspeed Custap Earthquake for example.

Reactions: Sun

p2

Banned deucer.
custap also takes on threats like excadrill in sand more reliably. i also think adamant exca is garbage :I

not to mention it gives a better trapper v stuff like rock polish diancie/mgross etc, i dont see any point of using salac berry here when it has custap.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Custap is almost always better, but Salac does have the advantage of letting Duggy get off a final hit v.s. Scarf users and faster 'mons who come in to RK it after it uses Reversal if it has finished its role. It's OO material at best though because a big part of Duggy's role is being a consistent stop to Exca sand (thankfully it doesn't need to preserve its berry to beat ScarfTar), so being able to beat jolly Exca is big.

Reactions: Sun
Don't like this set. Maybe is just me, but I prefer the old Focus Sash set (hazard control isn't reliable always but still).
Memento and stealth rock should be mentioned in OO at least, though.

memento is a dead slot most of the time and you will never get an opportunity to set up rocks with dugtrio. if dugtrio is your rocker, i can guarantee you will very rarely get rocks off and it'll drag your team down as a result. also, by forgoing endure in favor of sash you give up the already limited amount of reliability that dugtrio brings to the table for... being able to switch it in on an attack once?

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not QC but I thought I'd weigh in with some of my opinions 'cause I fucking love using Duggy. If any QC disagrees with me on anything just say.

Set
I think that the set should be this:

move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Reversal
move 3: Memento / Screech
move 4: Memento / Stealth Rock
ability: Arena Trap
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Hasty
ivs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD

Stone Edge is dong and I've never ended up using it once when I've had it 'cause all it's targets (literally just Flying-types) either don't stay in on Duggy (bringing it in vs. them throws up a big red flag) or are faster/have priority and won't come in vs. Duggy if it's not had it's sash broken yet. Memento and Screech provide actual utility vs. stuff whereas SR takes advantage of the extra turn provided by Sash to lay if your team lacks another Rocks user. You could slash in Toxic 'cause people often go to Lando after you trap something so being able to fuck with it if your Sash is in tact is nice, but idk it might be too situational. At the very least give it a very strong mention in moves. I don't think Sub is that good 'cause I've not seen Toxic Chansey in yonks+Screech beats it anyway.

OO
Give CB Duggy more merit as it is legit good due to it not being reliant on SR clearance. Also mention that it losing out on utility is an issue. Shift it to the top of OO and fix the reasoning, and give a special mention about it OHKOing BandTar without needing rocks cleared first. Put the Endure set immediately after it 'cause of it's merits. It's just that these merits aren't worth it most of the time 'cause barring +1 Zard and SandDrill and the uncommon MMan it doesn't really have any business being your main answer for some of the stuff it traps over Sash if SR is up on your side of the field. Also give Aerial Ace a mention in OO 'cause it allows you to trap Breloom if your sash is in-tact and stops you being setup fodder for Mega Heracross. Shift Stone Edge's mention from the main set into OO for the reasons I mentioned above.

Last edited:
custap dugtrio is a poor set that only works on select teams that gained hype because "hey reymedy used it, must be good"! but shares too many flaws most notably not having the ability to switch in and trap

i would go martin's set with the memento slashes reversed. also ye what he said, band first, then life orb, then custap

i'd also mention protect for lead lop and toxic for crippling annoying walls in the clutch once it has done its job

p2

Banned deucer.
yes the set should probably go back to sash now since the endure+custap set is pretty gimmicky and is really matchup dependent and sash is just really safe to use in general

it's also has much less matchup issues and likes having a free switch into stuff like mega diancie or tran, well 70% of the time.

this is my opinion on what the set should be
Move 3: Screech
Move 4: Memento / Stealth Rock
ivs: 21 HP

Screech in my opinion is insanely good and allowing duggy to trap Chansey is amazing. Screech also prevents it from being subbait for Mega Hera too without being forced to run Aerial Ace.

Martin

Like, Ace still helps more vs. Sub Hera than Screech does and obvi it's more effective at fucking with SD variants that try to set up SDs on Dugtrio than Screech is so I still think it's worth listing in OO for that as well as Breloom with Sash in tact. At the end of the day if my team has a major headache vs. Hera (like most fat squads do) I'm gonna run Ace for it as opposed to using Screech as a primary means of fucking with it, and it's not like Ace+Screech isn't viable on teams where Memento/SR isn't necessary so you can still break Chansey if you need to. The key thing with using Duggy vs. Sub Hera is that Sub-->Ace damage puts analysis Hera at ~25% if rocks aren't up (~1/8 HP if rocks are up) or has a p. good chance to win after 2 SR switch-ins (252 Atk Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 240 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 168-200 (46.5 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock) whereas Screech leaves it at 75% even when Duggy breaks it's Sub so it can always just switch out after killing Duggy and still be healthy enough to fuck with fat teams later on.

While I'm still thinking about it, I've written up a more visual idea of OO to work off that is just a bit clearer than scraps of text. Once again this is just my thoughts on it so once again if QC think anything should be higher/lower you should follow them rather than me.
  • CB (make sure to mention that this means EQ+Stone Edge+Sucker Punch+Memento/Pursuit or smth along those lines)
  • Toxic
  • LO (EQ+Aerial Ace*/Stone Edge+Sucker Punch+Memento/Aerial Ace or smth)
  • Custap (mention Memento/Screech instead of SEdge)
  • Aerial Ace
  • Pursuit
  • Tect
  • Stone Edge
Like, just imo that is p. much how the viability of OO shit is ordered. Maybe Stone Edge could be higher but honestly I don't think that I'm the only person who never ever clicks it so I'd say it's prolly the most situational/useless thing on that list whereas Ace, Tect and even Pursuit have instances where you would actually click them (Ace vs. Loom+Hera, Tect vs. Lop, double prio Medi etc., Pursuit to get chip damage vs. the stuff your're using Stone Edge for+to net damage on Latios who don't want to be in when Duggy dies). I'd say remove Sucker mentions outside of boosting item variants 'cause that shit's weak. If you wanted you could also mention Tect+Hone Claws down at the bottom somewhere due to that really bad Durant+Duggy gimmick but honestly whether it's actually good enough to be worth listing even at the bottom of OO is another matter given that by bad I mean bad bad+it loses to anything with priority/anything which is fat enough to take both EQ and it's choice of Sucker or Stone Edge. Scarf is on the Scizor analysis so idk how gimmicky QC is willing to go with OO.

*I think this is worth mentioning with the set for LO but not CB 'cause being locked into Aerial Ace makes you complete setup fodder for everything not called Heracross or Breloom, whereas at least with EQ/Edge locks you can limit what uses you as setup bait a bit better even if SEdge gets seldom clicked (really only there for a last ditch attack vs. Levitate users/flying 'mons when saccing off Duggy or to kill weakened Hera 'cause neutrality, but it's better than trapping Hera and then being used as fodder by a teammate).

Last edited:

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Stone Edge is a good move to hit the Flying types that are immune to Arena Trap such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir,
Talonflame clicks brave bird, Pinsir clicks quick attack or feint. I'm not qc but if these are what stone edge is for its a complete waste of a slot lol. If you do change to sash I suppose there might be some merit but eh. Sorry if someone else said this already.

I like aerial ace for hera and ig loom (otherwise walls, will often click bullet seed to ko through sash if you're at full) personally, memento duggy is good because they can't pivot into something to take the memento so you can support a sweeper properly. Screech is also cool tech

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
if my opinion means anything i think stone edge is fine filler it has some niches like letting you trap and kill a +1 volcarona as well as stopping you from being too easily taken advantage of by birds. its definitely better on sash but its not totally useless in endure sets either.

Sun

sorry for the delay, done , ready for a second check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)