ORAS PU drown

drown

introduction

Hello. As the time I plan on spending on this website nears the end, I thought I'd showcase a very successful team that I used to win the PU Seasonal Playoffs and multiple other tournament games. This team takes advantage of Quagsire, a Pokemon that has caused a lot of controversy in PU lately, and one that could possibly be banned in the future, in part due to this team. Considering the overall success of this team and the impact it has had on the meta, I would consider this my best team yet.

the team

Bronzor @ Eviolite | Levitate
248 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD / 4 Spe | Bold
Stealth Rock | Psywave | Toxic | Rest

Despite this team showcasing Quagsire, the team actually began with Bronzor. Bronzor has recently emerged as a very solid defensive force in PU thanks to its typing, ability, and natural bulk with Eviolite, as well as it's access to Stealth Rock. Bronzor is the team's check to a lot of Pokemon, namely Nasty Plot Mr. Mime, which is one of the biggest threats to stall. It also takes on Golem, Muk, Metang, Beheeyem, and many more. The spread allows Bronzor to avoid the 3HKO from Grumpig's Shadow Ball as well the 2HKO from Stoutland's Crunch, while giving Bronzor great mixed bulk overall. Bronzor is able to easily take on more passive Pokemon with the combination of Toxic and Psywave.

Muk @ Black Sludge | Sticky Hold
248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe | Careful
Curse | Poison Jab | Rest | Sleep Talk

Muk acts as a win condition, a Sleep Powder absorder, and most importantly, a switch-in to Trick. Thanks to Sticky Hold, Trick has no affect on Muk, meaning Rotom-F is unable to cripple it, making it pivotal to this team. This also means Knock Off doesn't force Muk to lose it's item, making Pokemon such as mixed attacking Simpour much less threatening. Muk can act as a win condition, but it typically is used to soak up special attacks from Pokemon such as Rotom-F, Combusken, and Lapras. However, be wary of Trapinch, as it can trap and remove Muk thanks to Arena Trap.

Audino @ Leftovers | Regenerator
248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe | Careful
Wish | Protect | Knock Off | Encore

Audino is necessary on any stall team as a cleric, a pivot, and because of Encore, a check to bulky setup sweepers that Quagsire is unable to handle. Thanks to it's great natural bulk and Regenerator, Audino can pivot into attacks from a multitude of Pokemon in order to scout, switch out into a respective check, then regain another 33% once it's switched back in. Audino also has a very high HP stat, allowing it to pass off a lot of HP through Wish. Encore is this team's way of beating a lot of Pokemon, and it prevents Audino from being a very passive Pokemon.

Avalugg @ Leftovers | Sturdy
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe | Impish
Avalanche | Roar | Rapid Spin | Recover

Avalugg acts as this team's hazard control as well as a physically defensive monster. Thanks to Avalugg's base 184 Defense, you can send this in against almost any physical attacker, and expect to take two hits. Avalugg is able to take on physical attackers such as Stoutland, Ursaring, and even Golem, giving it plenty of opportunities to Rapid Spin and remove opposing entry hazards. Avalugg also has access to Roar, allowing it to shuffle around opposing Pokemon to rack up damage from Stealth Rock or phaze out setup sweepers. However, Avalugg has piss-poor Special Defense, especially uninvested, so at any cost, Avalugg shouldn't be switched into even a mildly strong Special Attack.

Altaria @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe | Bold
Flamethrower | Toxic | Roost | Heal Bell

Altaria acts as the team's Heal Bell user, which is very important for bulkier teams like this, especially since I'm using Rest on Bronzor and Muk. It also acts as a Pawniard and Monferno check, and another status absorber. The given spread allows Altaria to outspeed Pawniard, which is important in beating it, as you can avoid being flinched to death by Iron Head and 2HKO with Flamethrower. Make sure to use Heal Bell sparingly, as it only has 8 PP and can be very important to save, especially against bulkier teams spamming status moves.

Quagsire @ Leftovers | Unaware
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe | Relaxed
Curse | Scald | Earthquake | Recover

Quagsire is what makes this team, and stall in general, so good. What plagues this team are setup sweepers such as Monferno late-game once checks are weakened, but Quagsire basically nullifies these Pokemon thanks to Unaware. Even bulkier setup sweepers such as Calm Mind Duosion could possibly sweep late-game, but Quagsire nullifies these as well, being able to set up Curse and ignore any boost. Additionally, Quagsire acts as an Electric immunity, which prevents opposing voltturn from successfully weakening the team. Early game, spam Scald with Quagsire to possibly burn checks such as Leafeon, allowing you to sweep late-game.
threatlist

There aren't really many viable Pokemon this team is weak to, but I thought I would include some that can possibly be troublesome to the team, and how to beat said Pokemon.

Modest Life Orb Gorebyss with the moveset Shell Smash | Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Psychic can prove to be quite threatening, as at +2 and a little bit of chip damage, it can basically KO the entire team. However, Gorebyss struggles to find opportunities to set up. Anytime Gorebyss is in, it's important to either get chip damage off on it or Toxic it, keeping it's sweeping capabilities to a minimum. If you're able to keep Stealth Rock up and Avalugg at full health, you are also able to Roar, but the main goal is to get off the necessary Toxic or chip damage, then do some switching around to take out Gorebyss through the combination of Life Orb damage and poison. Luckily, Gorebyss is quite uncommon in this meta.

Nasty Plot Fire-types with a wide range of coverage moves such as Ninetales and Simisear can be a bit threatening, mainly because of their unpredictability. I have a way to check any given set on either of these Pokemon, however it's a matter of scouting, typically with Audino, and pivoting out based on what you find. If you're facing a Ninetales and it's item is Leftovers, it's likely Sub Nasty Plot, which sets up on Altaria, but can be taken care of by either Audino's Encore or by Muk. If it's Life Orb Ninetales, Altaria is usually your best bet, but again, you can first pivot into Audino to scout and possibly get off an Encore. Simisear typically runs a Life Orb Nasty Plot set, but it doesn't have enough moveslots to beat the team on it's own. A healthy Muk can usually check any variant, but if it's weakened, you may have to resort to another means of beating it. Simisear can run any of these four moves along with Nasty Plot: Fire Blast / Focus Blast / Grass Knot / HP Ice, however my team has checks for all of them, so play this similarly to Ninetales by first pivoting into Audino.

Choice Specs Camerupt puts a lot of pressure onto the team with the comination of Eruption and HP Ice, however you can typically just pivot into Audino, take any hit, and make a switch accordingly. If Altaria isn't extremely important in the given battle, you can hard switch into it, but be wary of HP Ice. Once you weaken this a little bit with Audino's Knock Off or get off a Toxic with Altaria or Bronzor, it becomes much less of a threat, as it's not able to spam it's extremely strong Eruption.

conclusion

Thank you for giving my RMT, and what's probably my last big contribution here, a read. I hope you enjoyed and as long as Quagsire is in the tier I hope you have fun using the team. I'd also like to say sorry if you have to face the team, because I know, it sucks lol. Shoutout to all of those who have made my experience on this website a pleasure. Thank you, enjoy.

importable
(click me!)

DnB

#DnB4608, its way easier on discord :>
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
meta defining team!!

we found a counter tho: smack down + earth power probopass, combined with heavy hitters like ursaring or energy ball duosion just destroys it, because the team kinda relys heavily on bronzor to deal with duosion and normal spam, probopass just traps it, so thx for sharing the team, gives me alot of freewins on ladder i guess :P

other than that, the team is just perfect. you cant change a single mon, without making the team weak to something else
huge respect for that, I expect to see this team in the hall of fame

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ik this is a showcase rather than a rmt but there are a couple variations i have thought of.

Firstly I thought about giving altaria something like haze or roar, bc common teams (without specific breakers) can sometimes win with monferno by wearing down or luring quag. ofc this means you have to give audino heal bell which isn't ideal, but haze can be surprisingly useful as its PP outlasts any cm/bulk up/etc users.

Secondly the variant I was going to use but never bothered to was sliggoo over muk. Though it is generally inferior, like making the team very much weaker to trick and toxic spikes, its a cool way to screw over players who use stuff like NP ninetales or raichu (it can even check gorebyss and specs camerupt). In general it checks the fire/water/grass/electric wallbreakers people have now been hyping, and personally i think it kinda shows you cannot just run one pokemon in hopes it can 6-0.

Overall stupidly good team and I highly doubt you will ever quit..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)