SM OU Dragonite returns

Greetings! The idea of this team is to set up and protect your sweepers and abuse current meta options. Please feel free to give critism, good or bad. This team has been tested in sun and moon OU and had me get to 1500+ and continuing, starting from 0 yesterday. This team is very susceptible to rocks, as the whole set up can be failure.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 20 SpA / 232 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

This tangrowth set is pretty typical of a tangrowth. Its main role is soak damage and knock off any incoming mons, including heatran. But for heatran it also packs earthquake for coverage and ability to hit mons such as koko, toxapex, and incoming heatran hard. Its EVs might not make sense, mainly in the 4 attack. The 4 attack is unnecessary, but the 20+ Special attack is there to knock out a scarf lando or non spdef lando after rocks.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

This scarf greninja set is made to be able to stop and revenge kill many sweepers in the tier, such as groudium z dugtrio, volcarona, and to an extent scarf latios, as well as scare off potential threats such as excadrill, unboosted volcarona, and surprise serperior with a u-turn, which does over half to it and can revenge kill if its less then 55%.

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance

This ballade set is meant to scare away any Mon 50% or less, such as incoming zard. The move set is built to set up, scare, and land a hit that will either get some chip damage in or 2HKO any other Mon. Drain punch is a staple on all sets, and knock off is for mew, tangrowth, and incoming fini, as it can remove their essential items such as assault vest and get in major damage to new. Zen headbutt is just there for stab, and it can be replaced without problem if a better move is found, such as ice punch.

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Bisharp is back, and here to sweep and counter many many mons. It KO's mega lopunny with sucker punch at plus 2 after spikes damage, and 2HKo's fini with iron head. Set is very common on bisharp, but with this team it fits well with the teams, as its a good partner for heatran, as it can be switched with heatran effortlessly and heatran can take any firevor ground moves with its air balloon.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

This heatran is my main lead besides greninja, as it can set up rocks for free and take a scald fairly well from fini. Air balloon is there to counter other heatran and help teammates, mainly bisharp. The subtoxic heatran set gets completely walled by air balloon heatran, and a forced switch can be the whole game for you, like if the opponent then sends in fini or z move zapdos, a toxic or a switch to tangrowth can pit the opponent at a disadvantage.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch

The main player in the team, this dragonite is a force. It can come in mid game versus a greninja or tapu kok, take an ice move, and dragon dance to get enough speed or attack to KO and sweep with extreme speed. Plus 3 extreme speed can 2HKO most trans and finis that come in. However, I could use some advice or tips to help this team out against rocks. Thank you!

Hello! I like this team, and it has a lot of potential. I am no expert and forget a lot of things, so feel free to correct me. (Reason: I said I was proficient in Steel-types, and forgot that Heatran carried Flash Fire. Ah, the mistakes I make.) I have some suggestions, though.

Tangrowth: I was shocked when I heard that Tangrowth users carry Hidden Power: Ice. Anyway, Ice is fine, but if you want type coverage, go for Rock, as it hits 4 out of 5 weaknesses.

Greninja: A traditional Greninja. However, I feel as if Surf is a better move than Hydro Pump, as it has more accuracy. Trust me, I deal with RNG for a living, pretty much.

Gallade-Mega: Such an underrated Pokemon, Gallade. Anyway, You move set is fine, but I prefer this:
Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

It sets up Swords Dance, then Close Combats Heatran, Bisharp, and more. Psycho Cut has Increased Crit-rate, which makes taking down foes a little easier. Ice Punch is for type coverage, as it gets rid of Garchomp, Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, Flying-Types (Besides Skarmory, of course), Zygarde, Latias/Latios, and more.

Bisharp: Literal copy and paste From Smogon, moving on.

Heatran: Everyone's favorite (and only) Steel/Fire type: Heatran! Dramatics aside, nothing new. Beware surprise Earthquake users, though.

Dragonite: Is that...a weakness policy...on a Dragonite? Never seen one on it before...and it's a bad idea. Look, Dragonite may have a Weakness Policy, but it doesn't help its survival at all. With a move set like that, it may be better to have a Choice Scarf.

If you have any questions, ask and I will answer them within 24 hours (What? didn't know Skarmories were busy?). I hope this helps you in the future!

Hello! I like this team, and it has a lot of potential. I am no expert and forget a lot of things, so feel free to correct me. (Reason: I said I was proficient in Steel-types, and forgot that Heatran carried Flash Fire. Ah, the mistakes I make.) I have some suggestions, though.

Tangrowth: I was shocked when I heard that Tangrowth users carry Hidden Power: Ice. Anyway, Ice is fine, but if you want type coverage, go for Rock, as it hits 4 out of 5 weaknesses.

Greninja: A traditional Greninja. However, I feel as if Surf is a better move than Hydro Pump, as it has more accuracy. Trust me, I deal with RNG for a living, pretty much.

Gallade-Mega: Such an underrated Pokemon, Gallade. Anyway, You move set is fine, but I prefer this:
Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

It sets up Swords Dance, then Close Combats Heatran, Bisharp, and more. Psycho Cut has Increased Crit-rate, which makes taking down foes a little easier. Ice Punch is for type coverage, as it gets rid of Garchomp, Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, Flying-Types (Besides Skarmory, of course), Zygarde, Latias/Latios, and more.

Heatran: Everyone's favorite (and only) Steel/Fire type: Heatran! Dramatics aside, nothing new. Beware surprise Earthquake users, though.

Dragonite: Is that...a weakness policy...on a Dragonite? Never seen one on it before...and it's a bad idea. Look, Dragonite may have a Weakness Policy, but it doesn't help its survival at all. With a move set like that, it may be better to have a Choice Scarf.

If you have any questions, ask and I will answer them within 24 hours (What? didn't know Skarmories were busy?). I hope this helps you in the future!
The weakness policy on dragonite is a good option, because of its ability multi scale, which allows it to take super effective moves way better. The problem I've mentioned before, however, is a weakness to stealth rocks, which ruins the whole dragonite strategy. Thanks for the help tho

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

Please stop making us cringe

Greetings! The idea of this team is to set up and protect your sweepers and abuse current meta options. Please feel free to give critism, good or bad. This team has been tested in sun and moon OU and had me get to 1500+ and continuing, starting from 0 yesterday. This team is very susceptible to rocks, as the whole set up can be failure.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 20 SpA / 232 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

This tangrowth set is pretty typical of a tangrowth. Its main role is soak damage and knock off any incoming mons, including heatran. But for heatran it also packs earthquake for coverage and ability to hit mons such as koko, toxapex, and incoming heatran hard. Its EVs might not make sense, mainly in the 4 attack. The 4 attack is unnecessary, but the 20+ Special attack is there to knock out a scarf lando or non spdef lando after rocks.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

This scarf greninja set is made to be able to stop and revenge kill many sweepers in the tier, such as groudium z dugtrio, volcarona, and to an extent scarf latios, as well as scare off potential threats such as excadrill, unboosted volcarona, and surprise serperior with a u-turn, which does over half to it and can revenge kill if its less then 55%.

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance

This ballade set is meant to scare away any Mon 50% or less, such as incoming zard. The move set is built to set up, scare, and land a hit that will either get some chip damage in or 2HKO any other Mon. Drain punch is a staple on all sets, and knock off is for mew, tangrowth, and incoming fini, as it can remove their essential items such as assault vest and get in major damage to new. Zen headbutt is just there for stab, and it can be replaced without problem if a better move is found, such as ice punch.

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Bisharp is back, and here to sweep and counter many many mons. It KO's mega lopunny with sucker punch at plus 2 after spikes damage, and 2HKo's fini with iron head. Set is very common on bisharp, but with this team it fits well with the teams, as its a good partner for heatran, as it can be switched with heatran effortlessly and heatran can take any firevor ground moves with its air balloon.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

This heatran is my main lead besides greninja, as it can set up rocks for free and take a scald fairly well from fini. Air balloon is there to counter other heatran and help teammates, mainly bisharp. The subtoxic heatran set gets completely walled by air balloon heatran, and a forced switch can be the whole game for you, like if the opponent then sends in fini or z move zapdos, a toxic or a switch to tangrowth can pit the opponent at a disadvantage.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch

The main player in the team, this dragonite is a force. It can come in mid game versus a greninja or tapu kok, take an ice move, and dragon dance to get enough speed or attack to KO and sweep with extreme speed. Plus 3 extreme speed can 2HKO most trans and finis that come in. However, I could use some advice or tips to help this team out against rocks. Thank you!
Dragonite can use earthquake instead of fire punch. I'm guessing you used FP to check steels, but eq does that as well as check rocks too!

Dragonite is a popular choice in OU. However, despite the wisdom of the crowds, prospective Dragonite users should be advised of its one flaw: it is completely and utterly terrible in every way. The problem is that it's a physical Dragon-type attacker, and being a physical Dragon-type sucks. Dragon Claw is miserably weak, and Outrage is even worse due to its numerous undesirable side effects. Its abilities, Multiscale and Inner Focus, are nifty but not nearly enough to redeem its unfortunate other traits because Multiscale is broken by the omnipresent stealth rock and Inner Focus is just mediocre in general.

The theory behind this set is that you click Dragon Dance while the foe activates Dragonite's Weakness Policy and then gets swept by a +3 Attack / +1 Speed Dragonite.

The reality is that anyone who has an iota of meta knowledge will see this coming from a mile away and elect not to hit a full-health Dragonite with a super effective move, and instead you'll be stuck using something that hits like a wet noodle. +1 Dragon Claw is still weaker than Latios's Draco Meteor, and considering the commonness of Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp (hell, any status effect hurts Dragonite), you'll be lucky if Dragonite even gets to hit that hard. Dragon Claw with Extreme Speed has large gaps in coverage, but if Dragonite uses a coverage move over Extreme Speed to remedy this, it's vulnerable to threats like Talonflame. Additionally, the only coverage move that actually hits the steel type Pokemon that resist dragonite's attacks would be earthquake and non-STAB Earthquake is like kissing your sister.

Weakness Policy is used with Multiscale to tank a hit and boost Dragonite's Attack, as long as your opponent has never heard of Dragonite before. Unfortunately, other items such as Lum Berry really are no better because +1 Dragon Claw isn't scary at all. It needs the Weakness Policy boosts, but it will never get the Weakness Policy boosts. Such is the paradox of being a Dragonite.

Normally, for a Dragon-type, I would say to use its good resistances to switch in on foes that it beats and threaten to hit back hard. However, in the case of Dragonite, 1) switching in on an attack will ruin Multiscale, 2) it can't hit hard, and 3) it doesn't beat anything.

If you're so dead set on running this set that you've read this far, I suggest not doing that, using choice scarf Kyu-B, and saying, "Hey look, free points!" everytime you see someone using Dragonite in OU. Try this set
Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4
Item
Ability
Nature
  • Naive
EVs
  • 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe

Edit: Congrats on making it to the 1500s. I don't play much OU, so I don't have any other pieces of wisdom to give you. Best of luck with the team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)