DotA

Warlock is good, and is very easy for beginners; his base damage along with his animation allows for great creeping/laning ability and Shadow Word makes WL a pain to kill. And no matter what you say, Clinkz isn't easy (though he has a greater chance at living since pubs only play carry heroes, but that's about it).
LOA is much better in every respect you're referring to than warlock, although his animation is a tiny bit worse.

Clinkz is easy due to self heal + Wind Walk. Realistically, any WW or invis hero is easy to play in pubs as people rarely buy wards/gems or live long enough to use them to their fullest extent.

I never said Avernus was bad, he is a good hero because again, he doesn't die (and he's crazy good at supporting). Also to your point about Clinkz, just plain surviving isn't the best way to get into DotA. To be able to play Clinkz properly so that you can get kills and items, takes 'advanced' knowledge (i.e. Animation cancelling, ulting neuts). If you're new to DotA, you have to play heroes that can kill stuff without the use of items.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
if you're very new to dota, you should concentrate on getting raped as little as possible. heroes that are hard to bring down or have innate escape mechs are much better for beginners because a pub game will have minimal teamwork. that said, i recommend leoric... he was the first hero i learned how to use, and is straightforward.

Clinkz is very, very easy to play. His contribution to a teamfight or gank is essentially "run behind target enemy hero while invisible, turn on Searing Arrows, activate Strafe, use Orchid if you have it, attack until they're dead". Not hard. He's also got a nearly surefire escape mechanism which is going to be very helpful before you learn how to watch the minimap and an orb to help him last hit (though his animation does suck). The difference between a newbie Clinkz and an expert Clinkz is going to be much smaller than, say, the difference between a newbie Enigma and an expert Enigma, and it's very unlikely that even a newbie Clinkz is going to hurt the team, whereas if you pick someone without an escape mechanism you risk feeding. Obviously you won't want to play him forever since he's not a great hero (though he's not terrible at the pub level), but for learning the ropes he's fine.

I would say that the three heroes to start out with would be
Str: King Leoric
Agi: Bone Clinkz
Int: Lich

Those 3 are really easy to play.
Following those, you can proceed to LoA for str, Warlock for intel, and maybe Broodmother for Agi. Lycan, Bloodseeker, and Zeus are all also very easy to play.

If you prefer to hunt down heroes, explore it with Lion, Gondar, and Sven. These 3 are exceptionally good at hunting down weak heroes. To enter chanelling spells, Sand King and Crystal Maiden are the best.

Carry heroes, continue with Brood, or explore with Troll (Troll sucks but for Pub he's the perfect example of steamrolling a team).
To practice orb walking, Viper, Huskar, and Drow are herroes that work without orb-walking, but will benefit from them, so it doesn't really matter if you screw up now and then.

Think that's all from my head.

I'd recommend:

STR: Leoric, Nessaj
AGI: Mortred, Riki
INT: Dark Seer

after Skeleton King, one of the best choices to continue with is probably Chaos Knight; you'll learn even better how to conserve mana than with Leoric, and Nessaj is quite hard to kill thanks to having highest base movespeed in the game, being able to Blink Strike to allied units, and in worst case scenario even Phantasm can be used when being ganked.

Nessaj is a really good hero to learn how things go on in mid-game with, since he's a great ganker, and you will suddenly notice that you're the one who's leading ganks. He is also a really good carry. His cores are actually quite cheap, Ring Of Basilius, 2x Bracers, Helm Of Domi, Power Treads, and now I'd say Armlet but that is hard to use for new players, so Battle Fury works just as well. After that, Cuirass, Satanic, Heart, BFly, MKB, BKB or more Battle Furies are all options. When you get the hang of him, you can even try to do a Radiance rush during the first 30 mins.

After Nessaj, it's easy to go for AGI blinker carries like Mortred and Riki, who have to be played quite similarly. BFury, PT, HotD, BKB, another BFury, MKB, Satanic works for Mort, and Midas, PT, Diffusal/Deso, Bfly, Manta, Vladi (then sell Midas for Buriza) works for Riki. Get Ring Of Regen, Quelling Blade and Poor Man's Shield early on for them to have more staying power and to farm easier.

As for INT, Dark Seer (along with Ogre) has the highest hp stat among int heroes, and Surge makes him and his allies extremely hard to kill without disables/silences. Not hard to use either, and provides some of the best support in the game. Vanguard, Orchid/Guinsoo, Boots Of Travel, Shiva/Cuirass, Khadgar's Pipe, Heart, Radiance, Skadi are all great options for him (and so is Necromonicon but I don't recommend that for newbies).

Also Kunkka (the loadscreen maker for dota) said the new loadscreen for 6.65 is already finished, so I suppose 6.65 is just around the corner now!

Ok, I can not for the life of me understand how to use empty bottles lol. Can someone explain them really fast for meeee. Cause I find it really useful for PotM and i'm trying to master her currently. :]

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
it stores 3 charges - use it for healing while traveling between lanes to gank. pick up runes to store them and the bottle auto-refills after the rune is used up. it is a good item for regen but contrary to what a lot of people do, don't get it with your starting gold. it is far more effective to start with a chicken and stats and then buy a bottle after you get up to 600 gold. for potm if you start with a chicken, you can go 3 branches, flask, tango, clarity.

Ahhh I see lol kinda complicated for me but i'll get used to it. :)
Any other tips for PotM??? I've been going Mjollnir + Shiva's Guard and it's been working decently but are there any better items???

Ok thanks i'll try it out. :)
Did my first game with the bottle and i'm really liking it! lol
Didn't get many kills myself but I was able to set up a good ammount of ganks.

I need to find my RoC disc so that I can install Frozen throne >.>. I must play dota!
DO IT!!!! lol
It's so fucking addicting I swear. Everytime a game ends I want to join another one. x)

Definately something fun to spend some free time on considering UU went down the dumps. -___-

Thanks for all the tips, going to try them out 1 by 1 :)

But why do you suggest almost only Scourge heroes? doesn't sentinel have anything going for them except Zeus for noobs?

And what is a carry-hero? you and PlayDotA mention it, but what is it exactly?

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
a hero that scales well into lategame and is worth having farm up and take as many hero/tower kills as possible.

Thanks for all the tips, going to try them out 1 by 1 :)

But why do you suggest almost only Scourge heroes? doesn't sentinel have anything going for them except Zeus for noobs?

And what is a carry-hero? you and PlayDotA mention it, but what is it exactly?
It seems like you could use a guide spelling things out for you. One such guide is here:

http://www.playdota.com/guides/comprehensive-gameplay-guide

It tells you pretty much everything you need to know about dota. However, nothing beats experience!

Thanks for the link, learned quite a big deal from it.

Practising offline with bots now, I need to learn last hitting and orbwalking, since I really liked Drow Ranger when I tried her out. Though I'll play with Bone Fletcher for now, so I get the grip of things.

All of you have been sent PMs regarding the holiday dota games. If you didn't receive a PM and want to play, either check the group or PM me.

I'd be up for it, and I don't know if this ahs been posted here already, but if you guys like DotA you should check out HoN.

I've been into League of Legends lately. It's the only free DotA-based game, although you can pay to unlock Champions faster.

I don't think we have enough people...and if we do I think we need to be a bit more organized (i.e. meeting place needed, whether it be mIRC or whatever).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)