DotA

DotA, or Defense of the Ancients, is an amazing mod of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. I highly recommend it to...just about anyone. It's just an amazing game, which has arguably become more popular than the game in which it is a modification of. It's kind of a big deal. Not as huge as, say, Counterstrike (if we're talking about mods) but millions of people play it. I myself do, and so do some friends at school. If you've even heard of Warcraft III, you'll love this.

With over 30,000 other people on this forum, there have to be at least a few DotA players here.

Edit: This just in! There is now a group on Smogon for DotA players!

http://www.smogon.com/forums/group.php?groupid=44

I used to play DotA, and will be playing soon again once I find the reign of chaos CD so I can re-install WC 3 on my new comp.

I actually have been playing it since it came out on WC 3, so that's a long time.

I'm sure there are possibly more people, but there is a huge difference between turn-based strategy (Pokemon) and real-time strategy games (WC) :).

I haven't played in a while....

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yep, you're right about other people playing DotA.

I'm basically in the same line with HeYsUp in terms of "used" to play, but you can just basically re-install Warcraft 3 (and its expansion) and play again.

I just basically pubbed a lot, with some occassional in-house games with my friends/cousins and his other friends on Battle.net. We know pubs are bad, but that's why we play. Lots of dumb stuff happen, lol.

It's better off to play with a group of friends in my opinion. You get to blame them on kill steals, deaths, item choices, etc. =D

EDIT: I think I should mention what dumb stuff happens. Five person gank at first wave in bottom lane, Rikimaru SOLO!!, Dagon on DPS heroes (but it's fun/funny), and maybe just feeding in general.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Ahhh haha I remember DotA... I remember that I HATED IT.

No but seriously, it was an okay game just not for me I suppose. Most of the people whom hosted the game were either jerks or super jerks. You would have to download it off the website or else they'd kick on account of 99% of the games being "no dl no lag."

Another thing I remembered was a real jerk-ish ban list if you were a "noob" on it or made a mistake, even on accident, no second chances :(. Although I could be wrong about that, it's just a faint memory.

But it is popular, they even made a song for it, hurray... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OzWIFX8M-Y. On a side note, they played that song on the morning announcements at my school which was freaking wierd, I wonder if anyone knew what the song was about :P.

I like DotA a lot and used to play it pretty frequently, but I haven't been doing it much lately. My home internet connection and DotA seem to be at odds, on occasions I'll get large periods of lag or even time out entirely while my internet connection is working fine, which of course is pretty troublesome when you're trying to stay in something like TDA. This never happens on other custom maps or ladder, seems to be just a problem with DotA, which sort of drives me away from it.

I was also sort of waiting on 6.60, which had that one leak like a month ago (with the newly awesome Razor and a bunch of other neat stuff), but still hasn't been released.

Half the people that play DotA are elitist jerks who make it impossible for anyone to get into the game and as a result there's only ten people playing at a time.

Half the people that play DotA are elitist jerks who make it impossible for anyone to get into the game and as a result there's only ten people playing at a time.
Yea, but in-house games are the best ones, imo. I don't mind elitist jerks that much on WC 3, because I happen to be the best troll of all time on that game.

In fact, shit-talking is probably the best part of DotA, I used to love just yelling after the loading screen stuff like "Whos this <insert offensive word> at the bottom lane", and of course c/ping the words "u suk" and spamming them. Its half the fun.

Who were your favorite heroes / item builds? I'd have to say mine is either Dragon Knight starting with 2 nulls, treads, and Helm of Dominator (then going for Buriza / Satanic late game), or using basically any Agility hero with Bfly / Dominator. Drow + Lothars was fun too :). One of my all-time favourites has to be Razor with Maelstrom though.

=o, I play DotA quiet often with some friends and ima decent ( I think ), since ima having both good and awful games..

Its fun to play with friends and I always like the trolling like "noob team" when someone is dying..

w.e.. to get to HeYsUp's question:

My favourite hero would be... hmm, its either Abaddon ( because of his incredible bulk ) with things like Vanguard, HoT and stuff... or Mirana, mainly because of that arrow that is fun using.

and Thorns statement isnt true.. there are alot of newbies in this, kinda like having at least 2 people leave a game in average.. there are just some of these "elitist jerks"

I've played DotA for quite a while just to play something different. It's a great game but i prefer WC3 a lot more really. Also like Thorns said they're community is one of the worst i've seen in terms of competitive games. Here in Europe mosts hosts tend to be Nazi's and kick you just for being from a different country then their own.
As such if you aren't German or Russian it's extremely difficult to find a game.

I still play WC3 a lot as i still consider it as one of the best RTS games ever made even slightly better then Starcraft. If anyone else plays it here i'm always up for a game =)

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As such if you aren't German or Russian it's extremely difficult to find a game.
Is that so at a different server other than USWest/East? I've never really visited the other two servers/Garena. It's easy to find games on US servers.

My favorite hero is Priestess of the Moon, although she's already claimed, lol. She's versatile with her Leap (dang nerf on invulnerable state =( ) , supportive with her ultimate (I never really use it though...) and her "can be 5 second" arrow stun. Starfall is a great nuke to destroy things with, also to note that it had a chance to deal another chunk of damage to a nearby enemy although at half the damage.
I usually like going MJ (I forgot how to spell it) and Skadi on her, with Butterfly and Buriza as luxary items. Boots of Travel is the item of choice for basically all my heroes (I like lane control) except Furion and a few DPS heroes I don't know. Yeah, I get two Bracers and a bottle at the beginning game as well, then sell them off later.
If it's too much, then I'm left with Maelstrom and some random orbs.

Yea, POM is really fun to use too. I like using Skadi / S & Y / MKB just so that whatever you're attacking can't move. Its hilarious.

Here in Europe mosts hosts tend to be Nazi's and kick you just for being from a different country then their own.
Yea, there are often asses like this.. ima from Germany ( ima a turkish guy though ) and there are often games like "DotA -ap ger" or "Dota -sd nordic" which kinda annoys me... but the Russian part shouldnt be too true... besided the occasionally seen "only ru" games, Russian people really have a hard time to find a game.. since mostly people are like " from Russia --> he'll lag --> kick "
Its also hard (for me at least ) to find a game on the US server since there are far more often "only us/ca" games.. I get it when my ping is way too high because I live in Germany but some just kick because it says "(DE)".

Well, unlike you play inhouses with friends or some high league matches, this will always occur.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yea, there are often asses like this.. ima from Germany ( ima a turkish guy though ) and there are often games like "DotA -ap ger" or "Dota -sd nordic" which kinda annoys me... but the Russian part shouldnt be too true... besided the occasionally seen "only ru" games, Russian people really have a hard time to find a game.. since mostly people are like " from Russia --> he'll lag --> kick "
Its also hard (for me at least ) to find a game on the US server since there are far more often "only us/ca" games.. I get it when my ping is way too high because I live in Germany but some just kick because it says "(DE)".

Well, unlike you play inhouses with friends or some high league matches, this will always occur.
Why don't you play on Garena instead? It'll solve that (DE) problem you have.

Anyway, I feel that the only way to remotely have fun in DoTA is to play with friends on the same team as you. Four of them preferrably; no more elitist jerks, and if your friends get angrier at you for the mistakes you make, it means that they want you to improve faster, but could also mean they're jerks who only want to win. Either way, it's much more enjoyable playing with people you know than to trust some random stranger who bought Boots of Speed as his first item on Sniper.

Either that or start trolling some games up. I just love the sight of idiot getting angry; those who think they can pub-stomp or those who buy Helm of Dominator on random heroes thinking they can single-handedly destroy the opposition, particularly.

For the times I've played I liked Lich. Dunno why, shooting ice looks cool.
DotA has a horrible reputation at my school, ironic considering half the guys are gamers. The mod itself to me looks repetitive. If there were more maps with the same idea I would consider playing it, but I'll stick to regular WC3.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
For the times I've played I liked Lich. Dunno why, shooting ice looks cool.
DotA has a horrible reputation at my school, ironic considering half the guys are gamers. The mod itself to me looks repetitive. If there were more maps with the same idea I would consider playing it, but I'll stick to regular WC3.
Lich is one of the 'OU' heroes, actually. Yeah, there aren't any official tiers yet, but I can safely say that they are 'OU' and 'UU tiers for the heroes too, lol. Firing off a well-timed Chain Frost during a team battle can spell doom for the enemy team, even if it does not kill anyone; the amount of damage it deals is enough for the rest of your team to finish them off with much ease. Not to mention, he has great early game control abilities and will almost always buy a Mekansm to heal up the team during Team Battles.

Why it seems repeatitive is because it's the same process over and over, but after understanding the roles of different heroes and players DoTA suddenly recevied much more depth for me.

I don't think it's repeatitive because you will never be the same hero with the same teammates (players I mean) with the same items against the same people etc. No two matches are the same.

I played DoTA before I played the RTS. It's pretty fun with the gang killing, but the matches are way too long. Every game lasts an hour.

I always played Earthshaker. Such an awesome playing style, and with minimal farming. Almost every mass team kill is because of me lol. The cow just blinks in and unleashes a mass aoe combo.

If anybody wants to play with me, send me a PM. I play BNet occasionally with a clan, but I'll go for long enough stretches without that I don't have a solid account there. I can't stand the lag...I have more lag on a BNet LC host than I do a Euro GGC host.

On GGC/Garena I'll generally be on as one of the following:

RandomSeed
NNEM
Snow.Leopard

I'll generally be playing in Euro HLR1. Hit me up!

Other things: the game length has been decreasing pretty steadily since maybe 6.41, I'd say it's down to about 45 minutes on average now. If you're playing with a team or people you know, there's lots of options for push strats...probably more so than in any other version since I've started.

As far as heroes go, you can't get that much more fun than meepo and tiny. I sometimes have a hard time persuading people to let me solo with them, though...I generally have more success if I'm playing with somebody I know and they can browbeat the arrogant necro/zeus/etc.

I'm a hardcore DotA player. I love how simple the game is to initially understand, yet how much skill it takes to master.

I usually play chase/HK heroes, like Lycan, Bloodseeker, and Spiritbreaker.

I'm also a huge Tidehunter and Silencer fan.

-=edit=-

w00t! 100th post....

how mundane...

Have been playing this game a lot in the past couple of months. Unfortunately my friends have pretty much stopped playing it so I mostly just play pubs nowadays.

When I don't -random, I usually choose some imba ganker like Bane Elemental or Nerubian Assassin, or some imba carry like Mortred or Nessaj, and I usually go with non-standard item builds. I like it when I go beyond godlike with Manta or Desolator+Armlet+Vladi Mortred, yet despite getting a beyond godlike streak I get told I'm a noob for getting those items instead of going for the standard Battle Fury build, it's so ironic.

If I know that my teammates aren't noobs then sometimes I go with a support hero like Ezalor, Warlock, Rooftrellen or Crystal Maiden.

Can basically play any heroes quite well besides Chen and Meepo (fuck microing those) and Invoker.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I used to love this game. The only problem is I'm the type of guy who prefers short breaks, and a proper dota game usually takes 50 min (30 min on em). Plus I think my Warcraft account expired for not going online for 3 months.

Could we organise Dota games between the smogon community? If we do, I'll happily join in. PM me and I'll join. Super_Bob_

Use to play professionally, but yaa lol I just play with friends now
Professionally you say? Interesting.

On a semi related note I once joined a game with (international?) champions of the [K] clan. Fuuuuuck. I was raped so hard that my ass still feels the pain sometimes.

Anyway I should have my laptop back around August time. I'll bring my Lucy to play you guys.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
I used to love this game. The only problem is I'm the type of guy who prefers short breaks, and a proper dota game usually takes 50 min (30 min on em). Plus I think my Warcraft account expired for not going online for 3 months.
Yeah, I believe I'm the same way in terms of taking some occasional breaks. My mom would always call me to get food, but I'm too busy playing DotA! It's too much action per second; each second is valuable. Of course, when you die, you have some time to do something else, especially if you're a higher level, so that's cool.

Professionally you say? Interesting.

On a semi related note I once joined a game with (international?) champions of the [K] clan. Fuuuuuck. I was raped so hard that my ass still feels the pain sometimes.

Anyway I should have my laptop back around August time. I'll bring my Lucy to play you guys.
Haha yeah while I was in Beijing I was in a few LAN tournaments. I didn't have a team over there but I played with the owners of a big dota cafe pretty regularly, so a fair amount of people knew me. Anyways, a few times for the big lan tournaments somebody would be sick and couldn't show up, etc, so I would fill in. One time I was subbing with this team, we were doing pretty well...after rolling through our first three rounds in only six games we thought we were all hot shit...but then we ran up against EHOME in the semifinals. I really do think they're the best in the world, and having tried playing on GGC from Beijing, I don't understand how they ever try to play online events. Anyways, the game was so lopsided I couldn't stop cracking up every time they went 5-0 in a team fight.

I had a bit of a better result one day in Euro HLR1 when we ran up against three members of the (then) avid: sound, lacoste, and swoopie. Much to my surprise (and delight) we won in a very tight very fun game.

Fun game against three of the players from AVID (1.21 I believe)

ALSO I'M STILL WAITING FOR PEOPLE TO PM ME ON GARENA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)