[DONE] JOHTO CLASSIC - Post your results!

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

After the extremely popular Kanto Classic, Pokémon Global Link is hosting another generation based tournament, this time using Pokémon from generations 1 and 2!

NOTE: This is a metagame discussion thread. If you want help building your team go here and if you have a full team you want rated make a thread here after you read the rules. Teambuilding posts in this thread will be removed.
Participation award: Everyone's childhood nightmare from GSC: Whitney's Miltank!​

Pokemon: Miltank Lv20
OT: Whitney
Ability: Scrappy
- Rollout
- Attract
- Stomp
- Milk Drink

Games: Pokémon Omega Ruby / Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Entry date: May 19, 2016 (Thu) 14:00 ~ 27 (Fri) 8:59 (JST)
Limit 50,000 people, first come first served
cant say's handy sign up guide

Competition date: May 27, 2016 (Fri) 9:00 ~ 30 (Mon) 8:59 (JST)
15 Battles per day

Battle Rules: Single Battle, Pokémon above Level 50 will be Level 50, Bring 6 Choose 3

Usable Pokémon: All Pokémon with Pokédex No. 1~251​

Banlist: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi
Pentagon Clause is NOT IN EFFECT

Item Restrictions: Mega Stones are not allowed​

Timer Rules:
30 Minute match time
90 Second team preview
60 Second turns
Role Compedium
PS Usage Stats

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just like with Kanto Classic, the viability rankings of this metagame will be monitored here.
(Speaking of which, we basically nailed that one lol).

ADD: Unfortunately I personally wasn't able to follow closely on this meta due to being a bit busy, but TheMantyke was kind enough to share his experience and knowledge of the format in this post, which will be shamelessly word-for-word copied here for visibility.

S Tier (These are the two best mons in the tier)

Azumarill

Dragonite

A Tier (These are all fantastic)

A+

Venusaur
Piloswine
Raikou
Suicune

A

Clefable
Machamp
Zapdos
Gengar
Entei

A-

Magneton
Snorlax
Quagsire
Scizor

B Tier (These are all really solid mons but are just a little short of A tier power. Have slightly wider variety of answers, do slightly less work)

B+

Arcanine
Alakazam
Kangakhan
Gyarados
Feraligatr
Crobat
Tyranitar

B

Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Slowbro
Chansey
Jolteon
Lanturn
Poltioed
Espeon
Heracross
Skarmory
Donphan
Porygon2

B -

Golem
Cloyster
Exeggutor
Steelix
Granbull
Kingrda

B?

Starmie (I have literally seen none of these but they seem really good theorymon wise?)

C Tier (Kind of lackluster but still does something pretty good with a little support)

Blastoise
Ninetales
Venomoth
Dugtrio
Vileplume
Victreebel
Marowak
Hitmonlee
Rhydon
Jynx
Tauros
Lapras
Vaporeon
Aerodactyl
Articuno
Moltres
Typlosion
Jumpluff
Umbreon
Murkrow
Slowking
Forretress
Gligar
Sneasel
Ursaring
Houndoom
Smeargle
Hitmontop
Miltank
Blissey

Meh (the rest of these need a lot to do work to do any good, I have either seen like one or none of them)
Meh+ (These seem like they have some really limited stuff going for them and I could see them being scary in the right circumstance)
Qwilfish
Octillery
Charizard
Butterfree
Sandslash
Raichu
Persian
Primape
Poliwrath
Tentacruel
Rapidash
Dodrio
Weezing
Scyther
Electabuzz
Magmar
Pinsir
Flareon
Omastar
Kabutops
Misdreavus

Meh (Barely remarkable and boring)
Wigglytuff
Dewgong
Hypno
Muk
Kingler
Electrodde
Hitmonchan
Tangela
Seaking
Mr.Mime
Meganium
Ampharos
Togetic
Bellosom
Sudowoodo
Mantine :(
Stantler

These mons have a tiny, tiiiny tiny tiny spark of something it seems they could be good for and nothing else going for them
Ariados
Girafarig
Dunsparce
Magcargo

Obviously Super Bad
Beedrill
Pidgeot
Raticate
Parasect
Golduck
Farfetch'd
Lickitung
Furret
Noctowl
Aipom
Sunflora
Yanma
Unown
Delibrid

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
A Johto dex competition but actually 3v3? I am interested and looking forward to Sheer Cold Suicune: The Return. Also Scizor and Tyranitar are looking like pretty mean choices in this as well, the latter especially.

Please let this be the way we get HA Suicune/Entei/Raikou too this would be perfect.

I wonder how this will affect the previous champions of Kanto Classic, Clefable, Snorlax and Machamp and Machamp. Clefable will probably be in a weaker position, thanks to Skarmory, Scizor, and other Steel types. Snorlax still has to bother with Machamp, as usual, and Machamp will definitely become stronger if the Dark types in this Comp become popular! They are both pretty passive though, right? Except for Sneasel, of course.

Last edited:
Really wanted a 6v6 tournament again, I'm not as excited for 3v3. I can already imagine Machamp being a lot more useful here due to more Dark and Steel types and killing TTar. I think Eviolite Gligar could be a big thing too, I suppose it would depend on how common will Ice coverage be. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few games, should be a good time.

Oh. Hype.

Everyone's going to have CM Cune, so we need strong Electric types. Since Zapdos is actually the strongest Electric type we have in this meta, I think we'll actually see a lot of offensive Zapdoses.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am so done with these competitions being on my busiest weekends... I swear I'll be able to compete in one of these before summer is over...

I'm still gonna help out with discussion and strategies but bleh I'm just so tired the PGL putting all these competitions on the weekends I happen to be unavailable even though I'm not even a busy person! >_>

Discussion on individual pokemon will happen later once the format is available on PS. For now I'll just list potential threats.
Clef in both lists ^^

Thinking about Raikou AV to check CroCune and Slowbro.
2 issues I've thinking about :
- on what mon should I use Eviolite ?
- return of a small weather war (TTar and Politoad are such a thing) ?

Clef in both lists ^^

Thinking about Raikou AV to check CroCune and Slowbro.
2 issues I've thinking about :
- on what mon should I use Eviolite ?
- return of a small weather war (TTar and Politoad are such a thing) ?
We won't see CroCune. It's going to be ColdCune every time.

Eviolite can be used at gligar, piloswine (which I did itat BSS), misdreavus (perish trapper).

The major threat to me, by now, are suicune and skarmory. Raikou and zapdos are must use at this comp, it seems.

What about unware quagsire? Infestation + toxic is a thing to be considered.

Machamp, clefable and slowbro still potential threats, since kanto classic.

Sheer force feraligatr, flash fire typhlosion, jumpluff, magic bounce espeon, tank umbreon, tyranitar, azumarill, miltank, porygon2. All these come to my mind for this comp.

I hope i can reuse the Sucker Punch Golem I made for the last tourney. That thing KOed a lot of threats, though my Snorlax did most of the sweeping and fazing.

I haven't looked really at any Pokemon in detail yet but I can list some trends I think will happen.
If it's only 3v3, Stealth Rock won't be as big as 6v6 but I think it will still get some use.
I think having a Dark type will be nice to hamper the reign of Alakazam and Gengar. I'm probably still using them though xD

Also, I don't see SMEARGLE (dun dun dun) anywhere...

I'm actually pretty excited that the events softly implying a VC rerelease of Gen 2 but I won't get my hopes up toooo high.

Also, I heard on IRC a few People were using my old RNGs from when I uploaded and shared them on Pokemon from 2011-Pokecheck's downfall in 2014 so I wanted to go ahead and make my stuff easily available for people who can work with .pkm files. Here's a .rar archive with most all of my RNGed stuff. This includes several key Pokemon for this competition like Zapdos, (Sheer Cold) Suicune, Raikou, Extreme Speed Entei... on top of basically every other Pokemon in the Johto dex in at least an untrained state. Hope some of you folks find it useful for getting Pokemon for this competition.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Magneton has some use here due to its ability to trap and remove Scizor and Skarmory (as well as any other Steels I'm forgetting). It also deals good damage to Suicune and Slowbro and hits Clefable.

Also there isn't an awful lot of things that can hurt Umbreon (besides Heracross and Machamp and maybe Clefable) so that's a good call too

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Love how this announcement comes down on the same day that I'm breeding for the Maison's Miltank1. Granted, that specific set will be useless here...but I do take it as a sign that perhaps I should get to work getting ready.

Also there isn't an awful lot of things that can hurt Umbreon (besides Heracross and Machamp and maybe Clefable) so that's a good call too
Hmmmm, might be trying Umbreon1 or 4 then.

This will be my first Online Competition and I am very scared of Suicune. Would a pokemon like Mr. MIme with soundproof be a good option for Roar?

This will be my first Online Competition and I am very scared of Suicune. Would a pokemon like Mr. MIme with soundproof be a good option for Roar?
You still get hit by Sheer Cold, and a Suicune wouldn't even phase you, since Mr. Mime doesn't do much in return.

Fast sub users will be especially good here, as Sheer Cold and other OHKO moves only break the sub. But Suicune may very well be running lots of Spe, in which case Gligar can't creep it easily since they're both base 85.

I'm not sure I'll play this comp TBH. If it was just Jhoto mons and/ or 6v6 I'd be more interested in it. Date is quite close too compared to KC which ere was like two or three months to prepare for I think.

But theorymonning is fun with a limited dex, not as hard.

Fast sub users will be especially good here, as Sheer Cold and other OHKO moves only break the sub. But Suicune may very well be running lots of Spe, in which case Gligar can't creep it easily since they're both base 85.

I'm not sure I'll play this comp TBH. If it was just Jhoto mons and/ or 6v6 I'd be more interested in it. Date is quite close too compared to KC which ere was like two or three months to prepare for I think.

I'd rather it was 6v6 too, but it being just Johto mons wouldn't make too much sense because:

1. You'd only have less than 100 Pokemon to choose from, with only a handful being viable.

2. Kanto Pokemon made up of a major portion of the wild encounters that you came across in GSC/HGSS. Even the Kanto region itself was in those games.

Just like with Kanto Classic, the viability rankings of this metagame will be monitored here.
(Speaking of which, we basically nailed that one lol)

Discussion on individual pokemon will happen later once the format is available on PS. For now I'll just list potential threats.

- Suicune
- Raikou
- Tyranitar
- Snorlax
- Dragonite
- Zapdos
- Venusaur
- Gengar
- Slowbro
- Clefable
- Entei
- Chansey
- Alakazam
- Porygon2
- Umbreon

Smaller threats
- Arcanine
- Articuno
- Politoed + Kingdra
- Magneton
- Feraligatr
- Machamp
- Piloswine
- Sneasel
- Shuckle
- Clefable
- Scizor
- Jolteon
- Gyarados
- Skarmory
- Espeon

WIP
You have Clefable listed twice, once in each section.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor

Sheer Cold Suicune is nature locked into Relaxed so you can speed creep it more easily.

Competition date: May 27, 2016 (Fri) 9:00 ~ 30 (Mon) 8:59 (JST)
15 Battles per day

Timer Rules:
30 Minute match time
90 Second team preview
60 Second turns
It looks like there are some discrepancies between the English and Japanese sites, since the North/South American site says 10 battles/day, 60 minute total battle timer and 60 second team preview. At least the 60 second turns are consistent, but I hope they fix it soon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)