Dogs

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Ever watched Lassie... well I have 2 beautiful Collies and another 1 coming in a month. My older one Emma is getting on in Years and we don't want to have the younger one alone and we have read how a puppy can revitalize an older dogs life so I will soon have 3 Collies (on top of 2 cats...).

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Got a few more pics of maxx and bj that makes it worth necro bumping this thread. Took my dog maxx to the woods for the first time this year and he enjoyed every second of it! It was a windy day today so his fur was blowing with the wind which made his pictures that much cuter.

IMG_20160331_1827313_rewind.jpg

He even has his own backpack to hold his own water (and my keys lol).

IMG_20160331_1853550_rewind.jpg

Easily one of my favorite pictures I ever taken of him. Just when you think he can't get cuter!
IMG_20160331_1856215_rewind.jpg

And one more with him next to the water!

As for BJ, they were giving away these moustaches in McDonald's one day and decided to try to take a pic with it on him with some success. He's just too hyper to sit still unlike maxx.

Snapchat-6852228687861103392.jpg

He ended up breaking it after that picture since he thought it was a toy. Rip

You guys should post more pics of your dogs though. It doesn't have to be just me although I don't have a problem with that!

So I got a puppy. We named her Daisy. She's a 12 week old Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix, with a black/tan/white tricolor coat. She's pretty sweet and hasn't had very many accidents so far. I'll show pictures when I get a good one!

Does anyone have tips for introducing her to my 2 cats? They get aggressive when she gets too close because Daisy wants to play with them of course. I've tried holding her up to them with some success, but unsure of how to proceed to keep her from trying to play (and eventually herd them I'll guess, two herding breeds will probably recreate a big herding drive) with them and then getting a slap to the face from an angry cat.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I got a puppy. We named her Daisy. She's a 12 week old Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix, with a black/tan/white tricolor coat. She's pretty sweet and hasn't had very many accidents so far. I'll show pictures when I get a good one!

Does anyone have tips for introducing her to my 2 cats? They get aggressive when she gets too close because Daisy wants to play with them of course. I've tried holding her up to them with some success, but unsure of how to proceed to keep her from trying to play (and eventually herd them I'll guess, two herding breeds will probably recreate a big herding drive) with them and then getting a slap to the face from an angry cat.
You could try giving your cats treats whenever they get a bit close without getting aggressive. Food is almost always a great motivator for pets. But I think they just have to get used to your dog. Give it some time and they will probably tolerate Daisy at the very least.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't own a dog personally, but every year I go to this bungalow in county mayo in ireland where the neighbours have three dogs and they always get completely extatic when we arrive there. Well... two of them do anyway. One is really hostile to people. Anyway I'm not much of a dog person and can only keep them entertained for short bursts, but my sister is really good with them snd completely adores them.

I hope you enjoy casual 1 hour long running sessions, that dog is going to need them. Maybe invest in a treadmill?
Seriously though both of those breeds are the kind of dogs that lose their minds over boredom and lack of exercise. Good luck.

I hope you enjoy casual 1 hour long running sessions, that dog is going to need them. Maybe invest in a treadmill?
Seriously though both of those breeds are the kind of dogs that lose their minds over boredom and lack of exercise. Good luck.
That's why I'm really glad I live on 5 acres. :D Plenty of room to run around and play with her, and there are neighbor dogs so when we're ready we can introduce her to them so she can have some dog friends.

That's why I'm really glad I live on 5 acres. :D Plenty of room to run around and play with her, and there are neighbor dogs so when we're ready we can introduce her to them so she can have some dog friends.
Oh, yeah, you'll be fine then. Post pictures already :P

This is my buddy Romeo, he's a japanese spitz. My parents probably regret having me but they dont regret adopting him, neither do I tbh. He didn't like me very much compared to my parents and a i have a few stitches and scars to prove that. I consider myself to be blessed to have Romeo as a part of my family. Growing up i never imagined that one day i'd have to say goodbye to him, he died 3 months back, he was 11 years old.
Life really hasn't been the same ever since, there's an emptiness in my house that probably will never be fulfilled.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
That's the thing with most pets. They grow up so fast and they cross that rainbow bridge before you know it. That's why you take as many pictures as you can to remember them by.

That's the thing with most pets. They grow up so fast and they cross that rainbow bridge before you know it. That's why you take as many pictures as you can to remember them by.
Not a pet tortoise, you have a high chance of dying before they do! #tortoisesforlife

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
There's a few pets that do such as parrots, koi and horses to an extent. That's why I said most lol.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
you'll outlive your horse unless you get it at 70 or you die young, their lifespans usually cap at 30. some live longer, but, the average human will never be outlived by their horse.

my parents just got a new puppy and UGH i am so upset a. i don't live with them anymore to see him b. they moved out of my home state so i'm less incentivized to spend all summer with them/friends instead of interning

hes so CUUUUUUUUTE

our grumpy old irish has the most betrayed expression whenever he's around the pup. he outlived our younger irish (bone cancer) and was probably celebrating being rid of him (older wound up being smaller and slower) then gets this tiny, energy-filled bundle of terror thrust onto him.

but omfg this puppyyyyyyyy ughhhhhhhhhhhhh hes so cuuuuute ;~;

Daisy found the dug-up breastbone of a chicken that died during the winter that we buried. I had to chase her down and grab her and put her in her personal yard so that my mom could pick it up and throw it away.

She's such a bundle of joy though, even when carrying off body parts of dead animals she's adorable.

Also that chicken was finally useful! She fed whatever animal dug her up!
No one liked you Whitey! You deserved this for eating your eggs!

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"I'm shitposting on PS and no one can stop me".

He sleeps like this and will randomly roll over and hit keys.

If you sleep with half a chew stick in your mouth, you minimize the time spent between waking up and eating.

Food begging level: Expert

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
So guys, why exactly do you like dogs?
I know they can be useful for the police, but why do you like dogs as pets?
Why are they good pets apart from how some people find them cute?

What exactly is "they comfort people when they are down"?
I only know that certain trained dogs help to calm down autistic people when they have a melt down.
But how does untrained dogs calm down people apart from sitting next to you?

People tell me that some people are more attached to their dogs than their boyfriends.
Why would you allow yourself to attach to a non-human?
You find being attached to a non-human reliable?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Think the simplest way to answer your question is companionship. Many pets give people that sense of companionship but dogs just take it to a different level because dogs are probably the most in tune with how people feel. Humans have been around dogs for so long that dogs became quite sensitive to the subtle cues we give off with our body language so much so that they could notice things before we do ourselves.

There are many reasons people keep dogs though. It could be for hunting which is probably one of the biggest reasons humans took in wolves at the very beginning or it could be something as complicated as helping people with special needs. That could include the blind, disabled or even notify people that they are developing cancer. Of course for all these things training is required and different traits are needed depending on the job. That's why we have such a huge variety of breeds.

But back to the main reason people have dogs these days; companionship. They become your best friend. They understand how you feel through your body language (and it's a shame people are not naturally able to do the same back btw) and offer unconditional love. They don't care if everyone at school are jerks or if the world hates you. They love you just the way you are without judgment. They can easily become your best friend like this. If you want to get down to a chemical level, it even affects both dog and humans there. Can't remember what that chemical is but when together, they help calm you down and feel at ease by reducing stress. They are also a great option for people who never have kids or are empty nesters due to them being able to fill that void. I'm just scratching the surface here since there is so much more to it. Them being cute does help them a lot but tbh it only helps during the beginning at the relationship. Then it becomes increasing noticeable that it's what inside that matters. Kinda like how it is between people except the with dogs, they skip that first step completely UNLESS they have a reason to be wary whether they are guard/watch dogs or have been abused by someone who wears sunglasses a lot. Anyway, hope that answers your question!

Reactions: ant

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
So guys, why exactly do you like dogs?
I know they can be useful for the police, but why do you like dogs as pets?
Why are they good pets apart from how some people find them cute?

What exactly is "they comfort people when they are down"?
I only know that certain trained dogs help to calm down autistic people when they have a melt down.
But how does untrained dogs calm down people apart from sitting next to you?

People tell me that some people are more attached to their dogs than their boyfriends.
Why would you allow yourself to attach to a non-human?
You find being attached to a non-human reliable?
Why does a relationship with a non-human differ from a relationship with a human? Because one is human the other is not, because one is self-aware/ highly intelligent and the other not, because A is superior and B is inferior? I have always found humanities focus on itself egotistical and highly superficial, we have a literal history of discrimination, slavery, judgement, and so on to each other and yet the moment any sort of feelings towards non-humans is brought up many argue from a point of view that assumes humanity is harmonious when it clearly isn't.

Now to answer your question, why does it matter what species a creature is in any form of relationship (this is not me condoning bestiality btw that is gross and wrong on many levels). What makes a relationship with a human so much superior to non-human because from my point of view it really isn't and the very idea of human superiority is beyond stupid as it is example narrowminded egotism seen throughout history to endorse discrimination such as the enslavement of African Americans. This vary notion of relationships with non-humans being of lesser value is something ingrained in our culture maybe even ingrained on a genetic / instinctual level in order to ensure the progeny of the human species.

I never understood peoples attachment to their own species for my dogs / cats to me are honestly family as important as my mother, father, or brother. I don't feel the need to constrict myself to my own species for whatever reason whether it be because of my surrounding cultural influences, or a deep seeded instinctual desire to procreate. I view all life as having it's own way of being, its own value, and that it isn't superior or inferior to humanities way rather it is just different. I don't view my relationship with my pet family to be one of pros and cons as that is just a sure fire way to create examples of discrimination due to this overly contrived notion of "Why would you allow yourself to attach to a non-human? You find being attached to a non-human reliable?" Why does it matter if they are reliable or not, why shouldn't I attach myself to non-humans, what makes humans actually superior, we all live and then die that is an absolute truth, we breath, eat, drink, play, and so on our self-awareness though certainly unique on earth should not mean that can trample on all life as some superior life form or else how is it any different from the Romans belittling the Barbarians. If reliability is the standard on which relationships can be judged then how is a relationship with an autistic child, a crippled war veteran, and so on 'reliable' my brother is autistic and will never be able to work, be in a intimate relationship with another person so does that mean I shouldn't attach myself to him due to him being unreliable? Of course not!

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Why does a relationship with a non-human differ from a relationship with a human? Because one is human the other is not, because one is self-aware/ highly intelligent and the other not, because A is superior and B is inferior? I have always found humanities focus on itself egotistical and highly superficial, we have a literal history of discrimination, slavery, judgement, and so on to each other and yet the moment any sort of feelings towards non-humans is brought up many argue from a point of view that assumes humanity is harmonious when it clearly isn't.

Now to answer your question, why does it matter what species a creature is in any form of relationship (this is not me condoning bestiality btw that is gross and wrong on many levels). What makes a relationship with a human so much superior to non-human because from my point of view it really isn't and the very idea of human superiority is beyond stupid as it is example narrowminded egotism seen throughout history to endorse discrimination such as the enslavement of African Americans. This vary notion of relationships with non-humans being of lesser value is something ingrained in our culture maybe even ingrained on a genetic / instinctual level in order to ensure the progeny of the human species.

I never understood peoples attachment to their own species for my dogs / cats to me are honestly family as important as my mother, father, or brother. I don't feel the need to constrict myself to my own species for whatever reason whether it be because of my surrounding cultural influences, or a deep seeded instinctual desire to procreate. I view all life as having it's own way of being, its own value, and that it isn't superior or inferior to humanities way rather it is just different. I don't view my relationship with my pet family to be one of pros and cons as that is just a sure fire way to create examples of discrimination due to this overly contrived notion of "Why would you allow yourself to attach to a non-human? You find being attached to a non-human reliable?" Why does it matter if they are reliable or not, why shouldn't I attach myself to non-humans, what makes humans actually superior, we all live and then die that is an absolute truth, we breath, eat, drink, play, and so on our self-awareness though certainly unique on earth should not mean that can trample on all life as some superior life form or else how is it any different from the Romans belittling the Barbarians. If reliability is the standard on which relationships can be judged then how is a relationship with an autistic child, a crippled war veteran, and so on 'reliable' my brother is autistic and will never be able to work, be in a intimate relationship with another person so does that mean I shouldn't attach myself to him due to him being unreliable? Of course not!
This is definitely not discrimination. You can't hold a conversation to your dog, for starters.
Moreover, it's so easy to please a dog. You just feed it, own it, and almost every dog would perform all the "great stuff" people speak of.

In Asia, it is firmly believed that people attached to a dog must have some social problems with humans.
It probably isn't accurate though, but you see, how exactly do you "offend" your dog?
As long as you don't abuse your dog, you won't "offend" your dog.

Your relationship with a dog will definitely not be as complicated as humans. Dogs are just too easy. You own a dog, the dog almost certainly loves you, and your dog doesn't choose or prefer someone else.

Being capable of pleasing a dog is very different from being capable of pleasing humans.

Moreover, I just can't picture a dog helping you with your work/ studies/ homework, etc.
In the end, you need to attach yourself to other humans.
You need human friends to help you when you need to do your homework/ projects/ refurbishing your house, etc.
The amount of help a dog can give is far more limited than what a human can give.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)