Da Powerhouse

But First...
I'm somewhat new to competitive Pokemon, so this team might be lacking. I really think that I should focus on one offensive stat and speed. That can be a problem when facing defensive teams.

The Lead

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

Azelf's Main purpose is to set up stealth rock early and defeat opposing leads with its 3 offensive options. Azelf really puts the hurt on Aerodactyl with Thunderbolt when they taunt you suspecting SR.Though it's a suicide lead, it always manages to wipe out at least 2 Pokemon on the opponents team, thus also serving as a potent offensive threat to the opponent.

The Bird of Prey

Staraptor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Double-edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Staraptor cleans up what Azelf cannot, such as weakend Pokemon that Azelf couldn't beat, like BandTar. It can also scout the opponent with U-turn to bring in a direct counter, such as getting Electivire in on Milotic. Power really matters here, so I decided to take Double-edge over Return, in spite of the recoil on DE.

The Coverage presenter

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
- Thunderpunch
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

When you see Electivire, you're most likely to be hit super effectively. It's a well known fact that this set hits 13 types for super effective damage, but 3 of the moves on the set have 75 Base power, so it limits how much damage it can do. If Staraptor draws in an Electric move, I have to switch in Electivire for the Motor Drive boost, but it requires good prediction, as 2 other types hit Staraptor for super effective damage, and if I send out Electivire on an Ice or Rock attack,(the other 2 types that hit Staraptor super effectively),I wasted a whole turn on making Electivire take an attack.

The Sp.Sweeper

Porygonz @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Firstly, I use a Choice Scarf because Porygon-Z has only a modest base 90 Speed, but it has to use up its item slot. I wanted to use Specs at first, but I knew that the speed was more important. It's worth noting that Porygon-Z is completely walled by Magnezone, so Electivire is there to crush Magnezone with EQ.

The Drummer Boy
Linoone (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Gluttony
- Belly Drum
- Extremespeed
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Claw

It's difficult to pull off a Belly Drum, so I have to do it on a Gengar locked into Shadow Ball. Another thing Linoone can do is pick off extremely weakened Pokemon with Extremespeed, and it's my only Pokemon with priority.

The Secret Weapon
Infernape (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Thunderpunch

As my favorite Pokemon, I don't believe in wasting this thing as a lead or a mixed sweeper. I made it CBed to provide a handy attack boost. It hits everything in OU for at least neutral damage, so ThunderPunch hits Bulky Waters on the switch-in.

That's my team, and as of Feb. 12, 2012, has 30 Wins, 26 Losses, and 3 Draws.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Firstly, welcome to Smogon.

Azelf's main feature that separates it from Aerodactyl is its access to Explosion to dent leads like Swampert. Fire Blast also allows it to OHKO Metagross leads who use Lum Berry (the majority, I find). As such I would replace Flamethrower with Fire Blast, Thunderbolt with Explosion, and change the nature to Naive or Hasty, so as not to reduce the power of Explosion. Taunt is also more useful than Psychic for preventing Stealth Rocks which badly hurt Staraptor.

From what I see, your team is pretty much demolished by Scarftar. It OHKOs every Pokemon on your team with a SE attack, and cannot be outsped by anything short of +1 Linoone, who is honestly a gimmick in OU, and Porygon-Z, who can't hurt it seriously. To beat Scarftar, you can give Infernape Mach Punch over Thunderpunch, as Close Combat hits every bulky water type harder, except for Tentacruel, who can take any other attack easily anyway and is somewhat uncommon, and Gyarados, who is hit almost as hard by Stone Edge. As one check is not enough, a Choice Scarf on Staraptor over the Band allows it to revenge kill Tyranitar, or you could use an offensive Swords Dance Scizor, as this beats all variants of Tyranitar (apart from lure sets) over Linoone who isn't particularly effective.

Thunderbolt is not really useful on Porygon-Z as Tri Attack hits most targets effectively and the moveslot is better filled by Trick, which allows you to cripple Blissey.

Azelf: Fire Blast, Taunt and Explosion over Psychic, Thunderbolt and Flamethrower
Infernape: Mach Punch or U-turn over Thunderpunch
Porygon-Z: Trick over Thunderbolt
Linoone: Replace with SD Scizor
(Optional) Staraptor: Choice Scarf > Band

A lot of 252 here... and your team's very frail.
So frail that your resists are almost useless for switching.
Regardless, I'm going to attempt to give suggestions without adding on a lot of bulk.

First thing I'd say is consider Pursuit on Staraptor over Double-Edge. I really see no use for Double Edge when it's resisted by the same moves as Flying and then some, while Flying can still hit Ghosts, and hits Fighting and Grass super-effectively. Pursuit with a band will be of good use, as it hits pretty damn hard.

Also, I'd suggest a Ghost type or some other Fighting resist. Azelf's too frail and it's the only Fighting resist you have. Staraptor hits them but it will usually kill itself in the process of hitting the opponent's team, leaving it wide open. To be honest, I know how expected Gyaravire is, but over Staraptor, I still say try Gyarados. DD offensive Gyara, over the bulky one. It has Intimidate and provides better resists, as well as a Water type.

As Mikel said above, Scarftar wrecks anything on this team, so a Banded Infernape should be using Mach Punch over ThunderPunch.

I'm also all for Scizor up above, it's pretty bulky and powerful too.

Hi Skydrive, I remember battling this team. It's a nice team and you got lucky you got the belly drum off, although I have to say it is not a safe method relying on Belly Drum since hazards and priority users that resist Espeed beat Linoone.

I have some things to make your team better. Firstly consider using Explosion > Tbolt on Azelf. Tbolt is nice for Aero, but Psychic 2hko's it anyways like Tbolt does (due to focus sash). I would keep flamethrower for acc I think, although you might also want to try out Fire Blast > Flamethrower. If you choose Explosion, change your nature to Naive so you don't decrease your attack with Timid nature.

Next is your Staraptor. You already have a Banded Infernape and a Scarfed Porygon-Z, so I think it is better to replace Staraptor since the other 2 look fine. You might want to try out a bulky dd gyara like Crona said. This still attracts electric type moves, just like on your Staraptor.

On Porygon-Z, replace dark pulse with Trick since I think it is important to keep both Tbolt and Ice Beam to revenge kill, Gyara and Dnite respectively. Something else, consider a Timid Nature > Modest Nature. You might also want to try out a TrickScarf Rachi since I think Rachi does its job better at revenge killing with BoltBeam, since it has more speed, although it lacks power. I would go for: Iron Head| Ice Punch| Tpunch| Trick with Jolly nature, 6 hp, 252 att, 252 speed. If you do this however you have a lot of physical attackers on your team, so you might want to change either Ape or Evire to Mixed (or both).

Try out SD Scizor > Linoone. Scizor also adds a steel type to your team and it can catch off ghost types who are a problem for Porygon-Z.

On Ape try to fit Mach Punch. I think it is best to use it over Tpunch since Tpunch only helps for Gyara I think and you already have Porygon-Z for that (or Rachi). Priority is more important I think for users like Weavile, Ttar and off course weakend users. Scizor also has BP but without a SD boost it gets the risk of being KOd by a fire type move from Ttar, whereas an unboosted Bp fails to ko.

With Rachi, Scizor and Mach Punch Ape your team doesnt have problems anymore with Scarf Ttar.

I know I have a lot suggestions. Don't think your team sucks since I have a lot of suggestions. It are just things that come to my mind and it is your choice if you like them. Hope I helped you with your team!

I took out Linoone for Scizor, but BandZor instead of SDZor. I really need to hit Ghosts for a OHKO on the switch-in, so I kept Porygon-Z as it was. I love 1-2HKOing Gyara that predict a Close Combat or Flare Blitz, only to have wasted a Pokemon that might be threatening to the team. I tried Fire Blast, Psychic, SR and Explosion on Azelf with Naive and 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spd. Since Aerodactyl outspeeds Azelf and I don't see Infernape leads anymore,I kept Psychic, as Aerodactyl Taunt's me first. Due to this, I might try out a Naive Aerodactyl with Taunt, SR, Aerial Ace, and Dragon Claw and 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 SpA, since it outspeeds all other leads. I kept Staraptor as it is, but with a Scarf, not a Band. Now, the team is on a 5 battle winning streak, getting better and better with my growing prediction skills. I also am considering Dusknoir or Azumarill, but I can't open a spot in the team for either

Hey SkyDrive I want to help you with some advice if you change your first post, so I can see what the current team is. Maybe you also want to tell what problems you have with your team, since I am sure you have battled a few times with this team.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 SpDef
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- ThunderPunch

Porygon-Z (Porygonz) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SpAtk
Modest nature (+SpAtk,-Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Tri Attack

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/200 Spd/52 SpAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk,-SpDef)
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Outrage

Infernape (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- ThunderPunch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)