Cutiefly, Ribombee Discussion

As somebody who plans to use a bug monotype team this generation I can honestly say I didn't expect this little guy to be the most competitively viable new bug pokemon. Pollen Puff and Moonblast both have a base power of 175 when used as a Z-move. This paired with Ribombee's high speed leads me to believe that Ribombee holding a z-crystal is going to be a pretty common sight. I know I plan on using it.

Last edited:
Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust / Sweet Veil
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Polen Puff
- Skill Swap
- Speed Swap
- Protect
Note:
-Want damage? Polen Puff. Want heal? Pollen Puff
-Speedy Skill Swap user
-Trick Room? Speed Swap your opponent slowest Pokemon
-Some of your Pokemon is slow? Speed Swap

This is like an anti-Trick Room or something....

Unfortunately any poison, steel or fire type is going to completely wall this thing, so it has to depend on HP Ground for hitting them. Definitely has potential though due to its great speed.

On the other hand, I think it's adorable and I'm in love with its design.
It has Psychic, so Poison-Types might not bother it too much. Also, as Garn mentioned:
I see dugtrio being a really good partner for ribombee
All of those problem Types you mentioned get wrecked by Ground, and with Dugtrio now rocking Base 100 Attack, it is the perfect speedy Physical Trapper to pair with this adorable Special Sweeper.

Low Defense sucks, but with that interesting typing and Speed Swap, along with Pollen Puff, this thing is going to be a cool support mon in VGC, especially since most mons introduced this gen are slow but bulky and hard hitting. I would pair it with Vikavolt, but two Bug types doesn't sound like a great idea.

On paper, it pairs well with Wishiwashi, swapping speed stats and providing some healing support to make sure its HP doesn't drop below 25%.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah, it's not Ledian 2.0! :D

It's a very fast Special Attacker who gets Quiver Dance and Roost. Oh, its a niche, but plenty a Quiver Dancer has done well with this niche. And Ribombee is a Fairy on top of that. Nothing much to say on its Abilities (I think it would rather have Aroma Veil, but no sleeping for it and allies isn't bad).

So we have Quiver Dance and Roost, what else it got? Well STABs has several option. It sadly only gets Dazzling Gleam from level/TM BUT gets Moonblast via Egg Move (or you can go for Draining Kiss I guess). Gets Bug Buzz but Pollen Puff sounds much better as it can damage a foe with equal Power or heal an ally (EDIT: And I had now learned Leech Life is 80 Power, so that's very much an option. EDIT 2: Forgot Leech Life was Physical)! For coverage has Psychic and Energy Ball (though sadly no Giga Drain). For utility Aromatherapy, dual screens, and U-turn. Egg Moves provide more fun with Baton Pass (Quiver Dance, Calm Mind, Double Team, and Substitute), Skill Swap, and Speed Swap (also Bestow).

I would have never thought Ribombee would be so versatile, it can play offense and support (the latter would probably be preferred, either for Baton Passing or Swapping). May I dare say it could be top tier material for the support option alone?

Last edited:
Singles Ribombee would likely prefer Bug Buzz due to the added benefit of igniting Substitute and possibly lowering SpD. Steels wall this thing handily, so it looks like a simple Roost / QD / Moonblast / Baton Pass set would be most effective.

Really digging this Pokemon. A cute bug pokemon that can wreck shit. A impressive speed stat just one short of Weavile. Decent special attack with moonblast and baton pass and quiver dance. It is pretty good overall I would say.

124 Speed is insane for a Pokemon Game Freak tags as "Crappy generic bug type of this gen" It happens to also have a usable 95 Sp.Atk along with Quiver Dance. Bug/Fairy is meh both offensive and defensively, but not bottom of the barrel garbage dual typing like Grass/Bug.

I can see this Poke being an underrated Special sweeper in the higher tiers and a menace in the lower tiers after set up. . Sure, many Pokes stop it cold. Though it can be a big threat if you aren't prepared for it.

Speed swap with a Wishiwashi... I wonder if it takes the speed into consideration that turn or next turn. Since if its that turn, Wishiwashi should immediately go after Ribombee, which can be devestating. Then the cute bug just heals up any damage Wishiwashi takes.
Next turn most likely. Mega evolutions don't get their speed boost until the next turn so it's probably the same here.

If this thing gets used in doubles at all, it's important to note that Shield Dust prevents it from getting flinched by Fake Out.

Quiver dance / baton pass / moon blast / roost or bug buzz certainly seems it's best set.

Baton pass is too important if paired with dig trio, as all the mons like Heatran that switch in are gonna get punished. Baton pass is also better as ribombee has plenty of other Pokemon that stop it, e.g skarmory, so it can pass of its boosts. Talonflame gone is good for ribbombee.

I see ribombee as establishing itself as a late game quiver dance sweeper that can also function as a quiver dancer + baton passer.
Quiver Dance + Baton Pass is banned in Smogon singles formats. Probably wanna run Hidden Power Fire/Ground.

Does Speed Swap go through an ally's Protect? I'd love to swap speed to something like Alolan Marowak and watch as it tears through the opponents with Rock Head Flare Blitz.

Also, I bet Wishiwashi and Ribombee will become great friends...

124 Speed is insane for a Pokemon Game Freak tags as "Crappy generic bug type of this gen."
Why do people keep saying that? Vikavolt is obviously the crappy generic bug of the gen, since it has 3 stages. Besides, last gens generic bug was a monster (Vivillon.)

I really love Ribombee and Cutiefly's design, and am really happy that they have such good stats and interesting move pool.

It'll definitely be a good Support Pokemon for Doubles/VGC, but as for singles (prolly in middle tiers or so,) I'm not sure what to run..

QD, Roost, Moonblast, U-Turn sounds interesting..

And the Abilities ain't bad either (immunity to flinches and burns from attacks, or Sleep.)

I'm definitely gonna use this bad boy during my playthrough.

10/10 design-wise

Ribombee @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz / Pollen Puff
- U-Turn / Baton Pass
- HP Ground / HP Fire / Psychic

Pair with either Duggy or Zone and go to town lol. Fairy STAB is just so amazing and we finally get a competent fast mon to abuse it with.

edit: I just remembered Tapu Koko exists lol so I did some calcs.
252 SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 133-157 (34.9 - 41.2%) (Tapu Koko doesn't get Moonblast)
252 SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 157-186 (41.2 - 48.8%)
Now for secondary STAB
252 SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus in Electric Terrain: 336-396 (88.1 - 103.9%) (I think I calc'd this right)
252 SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 150-177 (39.3 - 46.4%)

Tapu Koko also has a powered up Volt Switch to hit switch ins hard, and can out speed Talonflame (RIP) and Weavile, but at least Ribombee's common counters are more easily trapped.

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying that? Vikavolt is obviously the crappy generic bug of the gen, since it has 3 stages. Besides, last gens generic bug was a monster (Vivillon.)

I really love Ribombee and Cutiefly's design, and am really happy that they have such good stats and interesting move pool.

It'll definitely be a good Support Pokemon for Doubles/VGC, but as for singles (prolly in middle tiers or so,) I'm not sure what to run..

QD, Roost, Moonblast, U-Turn sounds interesting..

And the Abilities ain't bad either (immunity to flinches and burns from attacks, or Sleep.)

I'm definitely gonna use this bad boy during my playthrough.
Gen 5 generic bugs weren't that bad either, specially Scolipede. Also, don't call Vikavolt crappy and generic, she has feelings, you know?

If this thing gets used in doubles at all, it's important to note that Shield Dust prevents it from getting flinched by Fake Out.
I felt like the flinch was a primary effect loophole sort of thing. But You are right, That is pretty good.
Other notable benefits of it in doubles is against Bulldoze, Icy Wind, Electro Web, Discharge, Scald, Body Slam, snarl, rock slide, iron head power up punch (although who would use that on against this, unless Ribombee is extremely low) Flame charge,

Sweet Veil is not bad of an ability either, although dark void was nerfed. Spore will still be popular

i favor dust though, it has alot of various uses.

Love this thing. It is cute, cute, cute and an awesome support.
Will probably try to run this as some Trickroom savety net/fancy tech (love me some TR) with speed swap. Imagine swapping this speed stat on an enemy in TR or on an ally in non-TR ^^'

I'm so glad that I singled out this evolution line as one to watch throughout these past few months, became the stats didn't disappoint. Quiver Dance with 124 base Speed and Moonblast? Awesome!

Man, it'd be a downright shame if Ribombee didn't see much use in WCS (VGC) 2017. This lil bee fly could be one of the best clerics in the Doubles format. 124 speed is downright awesome, and having access to a signature move that damages enemies, but heals allies when used on them is glorious! 95 Sp. Atk is decent, and access to Quiver Dance could make it a decent Pokemon to use in Singles. A somewhat small offensive movepool and lack of coverage to deal with Steel and Fire types is concerning, so running HP Fire or HP Ground is a must if you're worried about that sort of ordeal. Bulk is, unsurprisingly, mediocre, with 60/60/70 bulk, but taking hits is not what it's made for, and the high speed and decent special attack somewhat offset this. The role that it fills is very important, and that is supporting its fellow teammates. With Speed Swap, you can give the slower, more powerful Pokemon a chance, especially if it goes by the name of Wishiwashi, but feel free to use it on any Poke who needs it, like say... Mega Camerupt? Anywho, besides Pollen Puff and Speed Swap, there are still other essentials, like Baton Pass for benefitting your special attacker after a Quiver Dance boost, Skill Swap to aid Pokemon by the likes of Regigigas, Archeops, Golisopod, etc, Aromatherapy to heal status, Stun Spore to slow down fast attackers, and a few other options in its disposal. These tools could make Ribombee a bit of a pest in Doubles, and could pave the way for a win if the right steps are taken.

That aside, there are still a few tools that can be utilized, like dual screens to reduce overall damage to you, as well as Roost to keep you healthy, though the lack of bulk might make the latter move ineffective. Still, don't sleep on this little guy, as it could be a real important part of a WCS (VGC) team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)