"Curiosity" Rover Lands on Mars

NASA and a lot of people are making a big deal about gravel seen in one of the pictures, but why? Is it because the gravel shouldn't be there or what?

NASA and a lot of people are making a big deal about gravel seen in one of the pictures, but why? Is it because the gravel shouldn't be there or what?
It sure shouldn't be there, didn't you watch John Carter? :P

At any rate, good thing it didn't crash or something, that would've been yet another embarassment for NASA...I found a fun article though: did you know the iPhone 4s has a better processor than some $2.5 billion dollar rover? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57487645-1/iphone-processor-way-outguns-mars-curiosity-rovers/

I personally disagree with my dad here when we discussed it; to him, it's more if the rover doesn't need the tech, is it really worth bothering to have it? To me, it's more you're using all that money to send up a rover with 90s tech? I mean even if it might not need it for functions like right away, I'd be more one to prefer having the capability if it could be used as opposed to not having it at all...

Well if they just need that processor why have a bigger one? I agree with your dad on this. Even if you are sending it up with "90s tech" or whatever if it needs that to give us all the information we want then anything extra is just adding on price to an already costly venture.
Very excited to see the results that'll be coming in :)

It sure shouldn't be there, didn't you watch John Carter? :P

At any rate, good thing it didn't crash or something, that would've been yet another embarassment for NASA...I found a fun article though: did you know the iPhone 4s has a better processor than some $2.5 billion dollar rover? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57487645-1/iphone-processor-way-outguns-mars-curiosity-rovers/

I personally disagree with my dad here when we discussed it; to him, it's more if the rover doesn't need the tech, is it really worth bothering to have it? To me, it's more you're using all that money to send up a rover with 90s tech? I mean even if it might not need it for functions like right away, I'd be more one to prefer having the capability if it could be used as opposed to not having it at all...
Ok and yes I did, it just didn't click. ^_^;

I think most of the budget was spent on getting Curiosity to Mars in one piece and the plutonium reactor that will power it. If 200MHz was all it needed to do it's job, then I don't see the reason why it needed anymore.

Im actually a bit disappointed by how long its lasting, only 2 years, compare that to the 6 years for Viking 2. I guess its an example of the high energy needs of our advanced technology lol.

Yeah this thing is sick, its got a full complement of a chemistry lab, high def cameras, AND LAZERS because lazers are awesome, why else. Its gonna discover shit that we would of never thought of. Its like the equivalent to sending a team of chemists, a photographer, and Boba Fett, to a archeology site, but on Mars.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Im actually a bit disappointed by how long its lasting, only 2 years, compare that to the 6 years for Viking 2. I guess its an example of the high energy needs of our advanced technology lol.

Yeah this thing is sick, its got a full complement of a chemistry lab, high def cameras, AND LAZERS because lazers are awesome, why else. Its gonna discover shit that we would of never thought of. Its like the equivalent to sending a team of chemists, a photographer, and Boba Fett, to a archeology site, but on Mars.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm really excited, hopefully we find some mindblowing stuff.

(Like a mass relay!?!?!?!)

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

all of you guys need to check out Eyes on the Solar System
aka a 3D simulation that you can pause, play, cycle through, fly around the solar system w/e
but more relevantly follow the landing of the rover!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I found a fun article though: did you know the iPhone 4s has a better processor than some $2.5 billion dollar rover? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57487645-1/iphone-processor-way-outguns-mars-curiosity-rovers/

The big difference is that if they shot your iPhone 4s to Mars it would shatter on impact and be destroyed by the elements. Curiosity will be there and functioning for a long, long time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)