Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Trait: Serene Grace
4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Psystrike
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Meloetta is usually considered to be a wall, and its offensive role is usually relegated to late game Shell Smash cleaner. However, Meloetta has one of the strongest Boombursts in the meta (even SpDef Melo does minimum 70% with it to a lot of offensive mons). With Specs and a bit of prediction almost nothing wants to switch into it, and it's unexpected and get a surprise KO when it reveals Specs.

Here's a wall of calcs for everything in the S, A, and B ranks that's a special wall, resists its dual STABs, or would otherwise want to switch into it:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 304-358 (78.9 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 484-572 (120 - 141.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Psystrike vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 354-417 (55.1 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 168-198 (48.9 - 57.7%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 248-292 (74.2 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 202-238 (62.3 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Meloetta: 226-267 (55.9 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 326-384 (92.6 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 282-334 (82.6 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Focus Blast vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 466-550 (143.8 - 169.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 288-339 (103.9 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 606-714 (167.8 - 197.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 447-526 (113.4 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 228-268 (58 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 187-222 (61.5 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I skipped some things like Venusaur-Mega that are weak to Psychic or something along that, even if they otherwise fit that criteria. I might have otherwise missed some things, but I think you get an idea of this thing's power.
In truth only Meloetta and Chansey need to be calc'd and they're both 2HKOed by Boomburst.

Boomburst spam for days!

:afrostar:

Freeze-Dry Cloyster
AM REAL ENOUGH (Cloyster) @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Freeze-Dry
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear

Let's make a list of some checks/counters for the standard cloyster:

Azumarill, Mega Slowbro, Rotom-Wash, Quagsire, Jellicent......

I really hate that set
Seriously though, I can attest to the effectiveness of this, :afrostar:

EV

Banned deucer.
Okay, moving forward only council members will be giving out :afrostar: (old stars from non-council members will be grandfathered). Also the requirement to archive a set is only 2 stars now. I will go through and update accordingly.

Since this thread's rating system is getting revitalized, I would like to encourage people to go back and look at the dual screens espeon I posted earlier. It's not the most creative set (being an altered version of the OU standard set), but it is very surprising and provides amazing opportunities to things such as kyu-b, toge, m-metagross, and m-Lopunny. The ability to effectively turn a fakespeed into a resisted move and give free switch-ins with lovely kiss and lunar dance makes bringing in sweepers and setting up a lot less of a difficult move and allows you to attempt to sweep earlier in matches, which when paired with synergetic sweepers (shift gear spam, togekiss + shift gear, scrappy belly drum pairs) makes it a nightmare for your opponent. On top of this, the utility of lunar dance to allow a key teammate to be dented, extremespeed pp to be wasted, or a physical sweeper to get burned by a sableye, all of which can be essentially 1-for-1 trades, and remedy the situation can allow offensive teams to play more recklessly with little consequence, retaining offensive pressure and momentum.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Trait: Rock Head
108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Roost/Taunt

This set immediately came to mind when I faced a Dragon Ascent Salamence just a while ago. The damage it did was unbelievable. So I though what it if something with more Attack, still retaining STAB and something whose Ability will bolster the already outrageous damage output used it? Here are the calcs:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 208-246 (62.2 - 73.6%)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 237-279 (60.1 - 70.8%)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 177-208 (50.2 - 59%)
252+ Atk Tough Claws burned Mega Aerodactyl Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 158-186 (51.9 - 61.1%)

Also thanks to the little HP investments, it can take Fake Out + ESpeeds and then Roost off the damage. Taunt is to shut down all other Stall mons not mentioned above. Roost is really the better option to help with recovery after Head Smash. Particularly effective on Stall teams that needs a Stallbreaker.

Last edited:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Trait: Rock Head
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Ascent
- Ice Fang
- Roost/Taunt

This set immediately came to mind when I faced a Dragon Ascent Salamence just a while ago. The damage it did was unbelievable. So I though what it if something with more Attack, still retaining STAB and something whose Ability will bolster the already outrageous damage output used it? Here are the calcs:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 208-246 (62.2 - 73.6%)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 237-279 (60.1 - 70.8%)
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 177-208 (50.2 - 59%)
-1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 220-260 (57.5 - 68%)
252+ Atk Tough Claws burned Mega Aerodactyl Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 158-186 (51.9 - 61.1%)

Also thanks to the HP, it can take Fake Out + ESpeeds and then Roost off the damage. Taunt is to shut down all other Stall mons not mentioned above. Roost is really the better option to help with recovery after Head Smash. Particularly effective on Stall teams that needs a Stallbreaker.

This set is //ok//, but I feel like it's quite inefficient. Ice Fang is nice coverage, but I feel Crunch fits in better because the possibility of giving Aegislash the free Shift Gear is nothing I would like to risk. Also, Diamond Storm > Head Smash. This thing needs Speed as well ;_;. I'm sorry, going to have pass on giving this one a star because I think it's a lot less efficient than other sets.

You're going to have to explain how Diamond Storm > Head Smash and how you expect to KO Skarmory and/or Landorus with a non-Tough Claws lower-BP move. And how a chance to boost the Defense would be worth using over the brutal power of Head Smash.

And it outspeeds all Jolly Base 100s without Speed investment. It may invest in a bit of Speed to outrun something at 120. But it needs the HP to live and roost off Fake Out ESpeeds and most importantly, Head Smash recoil/SR Damage.

Edit: I just swapped Ice Fang for better coverage against Aegislash/Magnezone.

You're going to have to explain how Diamond Storm > Head Smash and how you expect to KO Skarmory and/or Landorus with a non-Tough Claws lower-BP move.

And it outspeeds all Jolly Base 100s without Speed investment. It may invest in a bit of Speed to outrun something at 120. But it needs the HP to live and roost off Fake Out ESpeeds.
But there's things like Mega Lopunny who are useless if you're gonna "wall" them if you're outspeed and KOed by then. I'm running a different spread that has nearly the same bulk and a lot more Speed. Also, Landorus-I outspeeds which is pretty lame if you ask me :/. You can break through Skarmory quite easily by just using Taunt or Roost, either works; furthermore, Head Smash causes King's Shield's Attack drop whereas Diamond Storm does not, so I wouldn't even call it able to break through Skarmory regardless. Landorus-I is OHKOed by Dragon's Ascent and it can't beat defensive Landorus-T, only uninvested sets. Head Smash isn't even a guaranteed 2HKO lol, plus, Landorus can Roost off the damage or it can just wait for the inevitable miss and watch Aerodactyl wear itself down. It's not bad, per say, but there's better uses imo.

All the King's Shield users are dealt with by Earthquake. I feel that Diamond Storm is simply wasted on something that is capable of complete carnage. Of course, you can't beat everything. Even Mega Mawile with all its power, is walled Mega Venusaur and Quagsire if luck proves good.

I changed the Speed EVs to outspeed Base 120 Jolly mons and replaced Ice Fang with Earthquake for better coverage. I'm sure if predicted right, the set can rip apart anything not named Landorus-T. Even Defensive Landorus-T can be dealt with to some extent since a majority of them don't carry Stone Edge in STABmons. That's exactly why Roost is there. You can spam Head Smash and Roost off 0 Atk Landorus' Knock Off.

All the King's Shield users are dealt with by Earthquake. I feel that Diamond Storm is simply wasted on something that is capable of complete carnage. Of course, you can't beat everything. Even Mega Mawile with all its power, is walled Mega Venusaur and Quagsire if luck proves good.

I changed the Speed EVs to outspeed Base 120 Jolly mons and replaced Ice Fang with Earthquake for better coverage. I'm sure if predicted right, the set can rip apart anything not named Landorus-T. Even Defensive Landorus-T can be dealt with to some extent since a majority of them don't carry Stone Edge in STABmons. That's exactly why Roost is there. You can spam Head Smash and Roost off 0 Atk Landorus' Knock Off.
Good points. Now that I think of it, why not just run Hidden Power Ice? You're not going to be running full Speed, so there are EVs to spare, and with just 92 SpA EVs you 2HKO Landorus-T after Stealth Rock. Best lure y/y?

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Good points. Now that I think of it, why not just run Hidden Power Ice? You're not going to be running full Speed, so there are EVs to spare, and with just 92 SpA EVs you 2HKO Landorus-T after Stealth Rock. Best lure y/y?
Wait you're telling me tough claws ice fang doesn't 2HKO lando? O.o

Magnet Rise Klefki

Klefki @ leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Play Rough / Toxic

I can't claim credit for inventing this set but it is hilariously anti-meta.

Prankster Magnet Rise allows you to troll Ground types like Landorus, Diggersby, and Garchomp and set up spikes on them. Klefki's great typing leaves it with only a weakness to Fire and resistances to the secondary STABs of the previously mentioned pokemon.

Prankster Thunder Wave is a nice emergency stop to set up sweepers, which is pretty useful considering all the potential Shift Gear, Shell Smash, and Dragon Dance sweepers. As well as a nice way of crippling fast mons like Keldeo and Mega Aerodactyl.

This set is best used on hyper offense (probably with lots of priority spam) so the Spikes help to secure KOs for your team mates. Defiant Braviary is a good team mate since it can punish Defoggers.

Play Rough, although pretty weak without investment, prevents you from being Taunt bait and hits things like Sableye, Tyranitar, and Mega Lopunny super effectively. Alternatively, Toxic is nice for catching stuff on the switches that Magnet Rise causes.

Magnet Rise Klefki

Klefki @ leftovers
Impish Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Play Rough / Toxic

Prankster Magnet Rise allows you to troll Ground types like Landorus, Diggersby, and Garchomp and set up spikes on them. Klefki's great typing leaves it with only a weakness to Fire and resistances to the secondary STABs of the previously mentioned pokemon.

Prankster Thunder Wave is a nice emergency stop to set up sweepers, which is pretty useful considering all the potential Shift Gear, Shell Smash, and Dragon Dance sweepers. As well as a nice way of crippling fast mons like Keldeo and Mega Aerodactyl.

This set is best used on hyper offense (probably with lots of priority spam) so the Spikes help to secure KOs for your team mates. Defiant Braviary is a good team mate since it can punish Defoggers.

Play Rough, although pretty weak without investment, prevents you from being Taunt bait and hits things like Sableye, Tyranitar, and Mega Lopunny super effectively. Alternatively, Toxic is nice for catching stuff on the switches that Magnet Rise causes.

(also, it doesn't really counter Landorus-I because
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki: 156-185 (49 - 58.1%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki: 227-269 (71.3 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
but then again, low accuracy!)

The usability of that set depends on the extent Thousand Arrows gets banned, as it will be preferred over Earthquake on all accounts. I'll withhold my star until then. It's definitely a good one though.

The usability of that set depends on the extent Thousand Arrows gets banned, as it will be preferred over Earthquake on all accounts. I'll withhold my star until then. It's definitely a good one though.
That's not really fair if you ask me, it works in the current metagame, and Thousand Arrows has an indefinite period of which it could be released; it may not even come out until the next games for all we know! Pure theorymon isn't enough to withhold the star imo. Furthermore, there may be a ban of the move / limitations, so I don't think this is fair.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Magnet Rise Klefki

Klefki @ leftovers
Impish Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Play Rough / Toxic

This looks pretty good. :afrostar:

Magnet Rise Klefki

Klefki @ leftovers
Impish Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Play Rough / Toxic

Oh well. :afrostar:

Utility Krookodile

Krookodile @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off

One of the best strategies I did with my team is using Parting Shot Sableye to follow it up with Landorus-T and forcing the opponent to switch at -2 Attack. That turn is free for you to set up SR or KOff the recovery of the pivot switching in.

Krookodile does a similar role by crippling the wall with Taunt, setting up Spikes on the switch and Parting Shot off any Physically offensive mons trying to switch in.

Landorus-T is arguably better, but it doesn't have Taunt - which ensures you set up Spikes without getting Statused or Defogged and Parting Shot - which gives crucial momentum.

Additionally, Krookodile sits at a nice Speed tier, out speeding Landorus-T, the quickest Defogging wall.

Chansey is a good teammate, providing recovery and being a complimentary Special wall.

Utility Krookodile

Krookodile @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off

One of the best strategies I did with my team is using Parting Shot Sableye to follow it up with Landorus-T and forcing the opponent to switch at -2 Attack. That turn is free for you to set up SR or KOff the recovery of the pivot switching in.

Krookodile does a similar role by crippling the wall with Taunt, setting up Spikes on the switch and Parting Shot off any Physically offensive mons trying to switch in.

Landorus-T is arguably better, but it doesn't have Taunt - which ensures you set up Spikes without getting Statused or Defogged and Parting Shot - which gives crucial momentum.

Additionally, Krookodile sits at a nice Speed tier, out speeding Landorus-T, the quickest Defogging wall.

Chansey is a good teammate, providing recovery and being a complimentary Special wall.
I experimented with bulky krookodile in the past, so I'll have to try this sometime. :afrostar:

Trap Passer Scolipede

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spider Web
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance/Tail Glow
- Megahorn/Protect

This one's a bit tricky to use. You need a good team built around this strategy for it to work.

The premise is this:

- Trap something with Spider Web.

- Use Protect/Swords Dance/Tail Glow as per your prediction of what the trapped Mon is likely to do.

- Baton Pass the Trap + Offense boosts to something that checks, preferably counters the trapped Mon.

- Net yourself an easy KO.

- Rinse, repeat.

Of course, this is easier said than done. But do try it out. It's fun starting your sweep by killing a wall or pivot.

The pass may not always be to an offensive Mon. For instance, you may trap a Skarmory and pass to Heatran or Magnezone. Or trap a Diggersby and pass to Quagsire. You get the point.

The strategy simply needs a good, balanced team to work around.

Last edited:
Espeon @ Light Clay
Magic Bounce
Timid, 0 atk IV
248 hp/ 8 spatk/ 252 spd
-Lovely Kiss
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Baton pass/ Lunar dance/ Attacking move of choice
I prefer Deoxys-S in this role personally, but Dual Screens (+ Lunar Dance) offense is really underrated. Espeon does have the advantage of being able to bluff other sets easier.

Final Gambit Terrakion

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Final Gambit

Terrakion has quite a few good sets it can run, but I've been liking this one. VS offense, you have a solid revenge killer with a great STAB combination.
VS balance and stall, you can bait in and kill or severely weaken problematic walls (such as Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Slowbro) with Final Gambit so that your other sweepers have an easier time.

OK, I post it here since Dinalsha asked:

I found that Noctowl is a rarely used but pretty powerful boomburst spammer (IMO better than pyroar) thanks to it's tinted lens ability, and its bulk is not too terrible with 100/50/96 defense.

Noctowl @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Shadow Ball
- Oblivion Wing
- Transform

Let's see some of the "anti-boomburst" mons (still can't do anything to Tyranitar or Aegislash):
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 354-416 (105.9 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 252-296 (65.2 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 202-238 (57.3 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 264-312 (76.7 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A scarf set can be used instead, and Oblivion Wing/Transform can be replaced by Aeroblast. I wouldn't recommend using hidden power fighting (unfortunately it doesn't know focus miss) because it doesn't do much more apart from hitting non-mega Aggron.

Alternatively, it can also run life orb:

Noctowl @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Shadow Ball
- Oblivion Wing
- Substitute

Oblivion Wing is preferred over Aeroblast as it regenerate tons of health, which is awesome for compensating life orb recoil. I still prefer the choice set above though, as in this physical-oriented metagame Noctowl with 50 Def won't ever survive two unboosted ExtremeSpeeds.

Edit: Looks like chatter won't confuse. My mistake then.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.

Noctowl @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Chatter
- Oblivion Wing
- Transform
Why ever use Chatter when you already have a stronger, HP recovery Flying attack?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)