Creative Sets in Doubles OU

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

last iteration by nadando, art by GenOne
What is a good creative set?
  • It fulfills a unique role that sets it apart from others
  • It is not incredibly common (e.g. Calm Mind Tapu Fini, Scarf Lando-T, etc)
  • It is effective and has had some success. It is strongly recommended that you post replays to strengthen your case that a given set is actually viable
  • In most cases, it should be a set for a Pokemon that's ranked on the Doubles OU Viability Ranking. If you're building around a UR Pokemon, the set should make it viable enough to warrant being nominated onto the Viability Ranking
Remember, this is a thread for both posting and reviewing.

What are some things that constitute a bad gimmick?
  • Sets that are not practical or are extremely outclassed by another Pokemon
  • Sets that have a lack of consistency, like excessive use of set-up moves (Acid Armor + Calm Mind for instance)
  • Strategies / sets that completely revolve around one partner assisting another and are hence too difficult to pull off in most matches (Skill Swap + Slaking, Entertainment + Shedninja, etc)
  • Strategies / sets that require multiple turns to actually become effective (there are some exceptions to this)
  • No banned Pokemon, moves, or items should be posted in a set
  • As a last note, a good way to check whether a set is gimmicky or not is to test it in battle against high quality opponents. Please don't post a replay of your set if it's against a player who is obviously very unexperienced.
Fightinium Z Ludicolo by Yuga24
Misty Seed Kyurem-Black by the DOU community (posted by GenOne)
Trapper Zygarde by Memoric
Assault Vest Heatran by GenOne
Assault Vest Genesect by Checkmater
Max HP / Max Speed Mega Charizard Y by Checkmater
Scope Lens Kartana by Checkmater (with credit given to qsns)
Flyinium Z Gyarados by Checkmater
Assault Vest Tapu Koko by Checkmater
Shift Gear Genesect by BlueSkiddo
Fightium Z Tapu Lele by Test Bot #
Z-Ally Switch Hoopa-U by Laga

Last edited:

Thundurus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb

one of the only reliable koko switchins, able to tank a lot of special hits and fire back with pretty powerful STABs. electric immunity is huge and the 111 speed tier that its other forme holds is basically not relevant. sludge bomb hits tapu bulu and has a 75% chance to OHKO koko - definitely its best coverage option in the last slot atm.

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired

Tyranitar @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Things that can set up offensively with a z move have fantastic damage output. DD Ttar is really strong in the sense that it can create free turns to set up and then nuke something with it's z move. It gets a solid speed benchmark at +1 out speeding threats in the base 110 speed tier etc. Right now Ttar is a strong pick for mega Mence teams as they remove a lot of the threats for them between each other.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny

Victini @ Electrium Z
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpA / 200 Spe
Naughty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Glaciate
- Protect

This set tries to utilise the vast coverage of victini and it's typing to it's advantage. V-Create is preferred due to it's ability to KO opposing tapus especially lele and z-move Bolt Strike is immensely powerful nuke to hit opposing bulky waters like milotic, suicune almost netting a KO on both of them after a little chip damage. It even does about 80% to standard sub-tran. Now since a physical set calls for lando and mega-mence as easy switch-ins, incomes glaciate which is basically a better icy wind hitting both opponents and decreasing their speed. This ensures victini is never useless in a match as it always has something to hit hard in general + that typing allows it to have a decent matchup against sun as well as psychic spam teams.

Couple of matches where victini does pretty well : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-523691000
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-523665539

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ur curselax is also very lit, qsns :pimp:

cool team, geerat! Lots of lord sets such as av bulu and band tar. Also nice to see Mega Blastoise, which didn't get much action, but i know what it can do ;)

Personally not a big fan of DDtar, because it's not easy to set up with all the Lando-T spammage. Doesn't get much mileage out of the boosts. It's also slower than Mega Mence & Skymin even after a DD.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 144 HP / 84 Atk / 100 SpA / 180 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Ally Switch
- Protect

Yea sure I lost the game due to the fact that he brought a well designed team, and I picked Skymin instead of the safer option of Rotom-W, but this is the Hoopa set I used against Stax last week in SPL. This set is actually insanely good surprisingly enough. It's mostly useful alongside a tried and tested cleanup mon such as HVoice Mence / scarf Tapu Lele / Tapu Koko. The ability to have a permanent +2 Spe Protect breaker that oneshots a fair amount of offensive mons is really quite useful for late game scenarios, not to mention the insane potential within the move Ally Switch itself. Against bulkier teams, you can use Z move of H-Hole to break something for the rest of your team.

The spread is fairly arbitrary as it stands, but the speed tier it hits is key, and the HP is also key to living something that I cannot remember.

Original credit to (can't remember if check or haruno)

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Fake Ludicolo
Mew @ Assault Vest
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 88 SpA / 140 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Ice Beam

I use this Fake Ludicolo as a Trick Room support with Fake Out. I have this Mew rather than Real Ludicolo because the typing is much better and I get the same coverage. Its EV'd to be very bulky and SpA is optimized for Ice Beaming guys who are 4x weak.

Mew is a Trick Room Mon
Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 88 SpA / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Volt Switch

This very bulky Mew has the same SpA as the Ludicolo version for same reason. Electric gives great coverage along side Ice Beam and is just a great move to better your positioning.

Mew is also a Tailwind Mon
Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 84 SpA / 52 SpD / 120 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Earth Power
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam

This mon is amazing on Stratos Sun; The original will have Kyurem but this Mew gives same coverage with TW and Light Screen support. SpA OHKO's scarf lando, 2HKO both Koko and Heatran - very nice for CharY.

I Am a Rookie

@RookieVGC

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Protect

What I once thought was a wtf set actually has some strategic sense into it. After CM, Tapu Koko simply eliminates Mence and Kingdra with Dazzling Gleam; like seriously, suspect Jirachi. Dazzling Gleam (+1) also stops Zygarde and Kyurem-B from using Sub, which they usually can afford to do. Other things noteworthy of mention is that 1 CM OHKO Zygarde and Gross with HP Ice and Thunderbolt, respectively. Defensively speaking, 1 CM survives a Hydro Pump from Kingdra (just make sure to have at least 75 % HP) and Earth Power from users such as Heatran and Kyurem-B.

vs standard Salamence-Mega
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence-Mega in Electric Terrain: 376-445 (113.5 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence-Mega: 447-530 (135 - 160.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence-Mega: 335-398 (101.2 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs Zygarde in Milktankmoo's Analysis
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Zygarde: 385-458 (107.8 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Zygarde: 289-343 (80.9 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs Kyurem-B
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 335-398 (80.1 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 172-204 (61.2 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs standard Kingdra
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kingdra in Electric Terrain: 363-426 (124.3 - 145.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kingdra: 320-377 (109.5 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 175-207 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs standard Metagross-Mega
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Metagross in Electric Terrain: 378-446 (125.1 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs Heatran
According to the Team Building Competition thread, few players still use this set while the majority use a more bulkier set. Still, 1 CM eliminates this ORAS set, so punish anyone who still uses it.
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 24 HP / 0 SpD Heatran in Electric Terrain: 329-387 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
232+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 180-214 (63.8 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs Rotom-W
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Rotom-Wash in Electric Terrain: 313-370 (102.9 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs Kangaskhan-Mega
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kangaskhan-Mega in Electric Terrain: 347-409 (98.8 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Why is it Naive :S

Also:

Linoone @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Protect

Pretty standard spread/set. It gets to finally abuse Gluttony with Figy Berry now and is much easier to set up. Speed is for creeping some Jirachis since Follow Me and Extreme Speed have the same priority.

Last edited:

Oranguru (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Instruct
- Protect
- Foul Play

Torkoal (M) @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Protect
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

The strategy here is pretty simple: use Trick Room and sweep with Instruct Eruption. Inner Focus over Telepathy so Fake Out doesn't work with it and Mental Herb to prevent Taunt first turn and make sure you set Trick Room while Torkoal protects to keep the HP at full. Now you can abuse Eruption with Instruct until something resists 2 hits and KO Torkoal (which is not that easy with HP Investiment) or the opponent have Wide Guard. Sun boosted Charchoal Eruption at full HP becomes 405 BP (not sure on that one, my calc was 150 x 1.2 x 1.5 x 1.5) and with Instruct you just double it. Heat Wave is here in case you get hit and Eruption becomess useless, and still hit both foes. Earth Power is good vs Flash Fire users, doesn't hit both foes though. This is a fun set that i've been using for a time and guaranteed me some incredible funny sweeps. Ofc, the core has a lot of weakness like I said before. Not everything can resist Eruption twice, but if they do, you're kinda screwd and will have to rely on the rest of your team. I do have some replays from it, but they are fairly old and this one is the best I could get. Not an incredible game, just showing how Torkoal sweeps function using a very gimmick team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankdoublesou-501274823
This is just showcasing Zard-Y and Cherrim: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankdoublesou-498920007

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny

Oranguru (M) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Instruct
- Protect
- Foul Play

Torkoal (M) @ Charcoal
Quiet Nature
- Protect
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

The strategy here is pretty simple: use Trick Room and sweep with Instruct Eruption. Inner Focus over Telepathy so Fake Out doesn't work with it and Mental Herb to prevent Taunt first turn and make sure you set Trick Room while Torkoal protects to keep the HP at full. Now you can abuse Eruption with Instruct until something resists 2 hits and KO Torkoal (which is not that easy with HP Investiment) or the opponent have Wide Guard. Sun boosted Charchoal Eruption at full HP becomes 405 BP (not sure on that one, my calc was 150 x 1.2 x 1.5 x 1.5) and with Instruct you just double it. Heat Wave is here in case you get hit and Eruption becomess useless, and still hit both foes. Earth Power is good vs Flash Fire users, doesn't hit both foes though. This is a fun set that i've been using for a time and guaranteed me some incredible funny sweeps. Ofc, the core has a lot of weakness like I said before. Not everything can resist Eruption twice, but if they do, you're kinda screwd and will have to rely on the rest of your team. I do have some replays from it, but they are fairly old and this one is the best I could get. Not an incredible game, just showing how Torkoal sweeps function using a very gimmick team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankdoublesou-501274823
This is just showcasing Zard-Y and Cherrim: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankdoublesou-498920007
This thread's for creative sets, you should post the core in effective cores thread.
Here :: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dou-effective-cores.3589421/

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 48 HP / 96 Def / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Survives Crunch or Pursuit (when switching out) from Banded Tyranitar
Survives Double Edge from Mence (assuming it has a mixed set)

Eliminates Tyranitar (that doesn’t hold Chople Berry) with All-Out Pummeling
Eliminates Kangaskhan-Mega with All-Out Pummeling
Eliminates Heatran with All-Out Pummeling

Outspeeds Tapu Bulu (Adamant), Pelipper, and Heatran (Modest)

Last edited:

Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 Atk / 128 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shift Gear

Shoutouts Nido-Rus for this sick idea. This sets benefits mainly from two things: its ability to switch moves, and the extra speed / attack boosts. Plus, it has to be shiny, which lets you bluff extremespeed ;)

156 attack ohko's lele with iron head with no boosts, 224 speed outruns max speed lele, and the rest is dumped into sp att.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Regigigas @ Figy Berry
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 84 Def / 112 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wide Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Return

He who created Regirock, Regice, and Registeel returns to the battlefield once more in the seventh generation. Through millennia of shaping the world, He has developed a defensive stat line of 110/110/110, rendering Him impervious to almost all forms of offense. As He towed the continents with ropes, He holds His team together with a potent combination of support moves. Wide Guard shields His team from moves that would rock the world, such as Heat Wave and Earthquake, while the shifting of tectonic plates under His watch creates paralyzing shocks that cut an opponent's Speed in half. Though His Attack and Speed are low, make no mistake; He carries enough force in every stage of the game to cast his enemies' items aside as long as they dare to remain in combat. Should He stay on the field for a full five turns, He will reveal His true might, unleashing the mighty Return onto foes unaware of its power.

edit: this post isn't funny but I should probably mention I forget what the EV spread does; I think it avoids a 3HKO from Hyper Voice?

Mine was the exact same haha except I had lefties and Grassy Terrain > Figy. I just EV'ed for balance bulk.

It's nice to have a wide guard user that can't be KOed by much, especially with the lack of Fighting-types around. I deleted my Regigigas team tho after I realized Twave Accuracy was actually dropped to 30%.

Coil Milotic

Milotic @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 156 SpA / 64 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hypnosis
- Hydro Pump
- Coil
- Blizzard

I won't take credit for this because I first saw this when up against another person who shut down a huge portion of my team with this, but since I haven't seen it on Smogon yet I felt that I might as well place this here.

Milotic's access to coil imo is not often utilized by other players, and it deserves some recognition. I see a lot of people just running Milotic with Ice Beam, Scald or Hydro Pump, Recover, and Protect. I found Milotic too underwhelming, and its only viable purpose was to be countering intimidate users. But coil raises it's accuracy and defense up (the attack boost is irrelevant for this set), and with a single accuracy boost three moves become immediately viable.

Hypnosis- We've seen this on Z - Trick Room Bronzong, and sleep is a good tool to shut down sweepers or fumble set ups. While it still won't hit all the time, it is accurate enough to be usable and formidable.

Hydro Pump- Well as great as burn is on Scald, when Hydro Pump has an accuracy bonus from coil it becomes a very reliable attack that hits hard and benefits from STAB.

Blizzard- This is SUPER IMPORTANT. With coil, Blizzard has 93% accuracy. Not to mention that it hits Lando, Hydregion, and Megamence for weakness, and hits both opponents really hard with or without weakness.

The only downside of this set is that sometimes a fast electric attacker (cough cough Koko) will destroy your Milotic before you can set up coil. Just keep this Milotic away from electric move users or pair it with a lightning rod pokemon.

tesseract (Kyurem-Black) @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Hail

cool cube set, subzero slammer with blizzard hits a whopping 185 BP and blizzard is really cool in this meta because of things like zygarde, mence, and lando-t (not even counting the spread freeze chance lol). earth power lets cube hit the top tier blizzard resists for supereffective damage (except for milotic, fini, and azu if you look at tiers 1-2). this also gives it probably the best coverage in doubles, only having both resisted by araquanid and the terrifying surskit.
hail has a nice z effect in raising cube's speed by 1 stage (and setting hail of course), so cube instantly becomes a big threat against some teams and removes any other active weather, which can annoy some common weather choices like zard, tyranitar, and the two shitty drizzle mons. the big problem with this though is that cube has to stay in for the boost and it's not really that strong without its supereffective coverage or hail.
you'll probably want ninetales-alola because it's a good blizzard abuser and hail setter, and it gets access to cool moves like freeze-dry, aurora veil, and dark pulse. it also OHKOs lando-t and mence for it if scarfed. kang koko washtom and zapdos are great for dealing with bulky waters and each can provide support for cube in many different ways too long for a lazy person to explain, such as. finally redirection, particularly jirachi, can tank hits from things that don't care that much about cube.
btw the speed lets it beat everything but scarf gene and deo-s at +1

Toxicroak @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab if you're a pussy
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch/Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Feint

this guy is some fun times on rain as it beats a lot of rain checks like tapu bulu/fini, volcanion, ludicolo, ninetails, suicune, sylveon, milotic etc. it can beat other pseudo rain checks like hydreigon, kyurem-b, koko, kingdra, skymin, kang(if its stoss and not double-edge) but can't switch into them. speed is for timid heatran and also lets it outpace adamant excadrill.

-1 252 Atk Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 204-240 (59.3 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 64 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Toxicroak: 231-273 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after u dpunch and dry skin gives u health it doesn't 2hko
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 64 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Toxicroak in Electric Terrain: 252-297 (78 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Dry Skin recovery
252 Atk Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 482-570 (123.2 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Heat Wave vs. 64 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Dry Skin Toxicroak in Sun: 240-283 (74.3 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Dry Skin damage
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Heat Wave vs. 64 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Dry Skin Toxicroak in Rain: 79-94 (24.4 - 29.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Dry Skin recovery
-1 252 Atk Toxicroak Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 312-368 (105 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 254-300 (78.6 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Dry Skin recovery

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Aegislash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Stance Change
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

I would hardly call this creative but I wanted to share it since it has been really clutch for me and I have not seen anyone else try it. Last gen Safety Goggle was common on Aegi, now I feel that if you are not Sub and are counting on Aegi as a TR check then Lum Berry should be the item. You cant count on switching on koko or fini all the time against a good opponent using Bronzong. Having Lum Berry means you wake up immediately and hit Bronzong

Muk-Alola @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Snarl
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Disable

this muk set I built back when everyone was using Deo-A and Lele. Basically its EV'd so that core cannot kill it without a Z-move while breaking Deo-A stash and weakening Lele at the same time.
I prefer Special poison move because you are guaranteed to have a LandoT switch into Muk in 70% of you games.
Also heatrans like to switch in and take free subs, they cant do that versus this muk. With so much special defense and snarl heatrans are forced to attack this guy since Snarl goes through sub. with so much Special Defense, Snarl, and Iapapa berry Muk can take many substitute heatran and kyurem EPs
and finally disable is another clutch move to help out your partner. disable a jirachi from follow me or a heatran from heatwaving can turn out to be a game saver

Last edited:
Alright at this point I feel like it'd be an absolute shame to keep this set from the public. So, without further ado, I present to you: How to win games against people who are better than you, the mon.

Crobat @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Hypnosis
- Defog
- Protect

This set maximizes speed and bulk while allowing you to ohko 252 hp tapu bulu with supersonic skystrike if necessary. 164 attack can be run if you'd like to ohko 4 hp tapu lele with the same.

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT THE UNIMPORTANT "ATTACKING" MOVES.

So, for the underedumacated folks in the audience, this is how the set works. You click Z-Defog. Your accuracy rises, your opponent's evasiveness lowers. You then proceed to introduce them to a series of waves, commonly known as the move "Hypnosis" (see diagram 1), which will cause your opponent's pokemon to fall asleep for a total of 1-3 turns. During this period of time you will be free to do basically anything you want. You can set up, you can bring in checks, you can explain to your opponent how bad they are and tell them to just click the X button now before you unleash your wrath upon them in a manner so immensely demoralizing that they may reconsider their career choice in favor of becoming a clown so that at least they can paint a smile on their face and appear happy on the outside despite their soul now existing in a manner which could be scientifically proven to be nothing less than a literal black hole, sucking in every single bit of light and happiness from inside of their body until they eventually collapse into a mole on Donald Trump's asshole. All three are viable options.

Good partners include:
1. Set up mons (see: Zygayde**)
2. Mons to get rid of electric and misty terrain
3. Anything that does damage? Who cares they're not waking up.

*Diagram 1

** Zygayde is a Pokemon commonly considered to be "broken" or "borked". It focuses mainly on clicking one move over and over again until it runs out of things in front of it, at which point it sits back, relaxes, and cracks a cold, crisp Budweiser (C). Everyone knows that, after a long, hard day at your blue collar job making barely enough money to support your wife's ever increasing shopping habits, there's nothing better than going to the bar with friends and knocking back 6,7, hell maybe even 8 Budweisers (C)! Heck no you don't have a drinking problem, everybody does it! Now go hit on that hot girl by the bar who's half your age! Go visit our their website for exciting deals and promotions!

Last edited:
Some time ago when i was making a new sun team i had trouble finding a sun check. Because most sun checks can't take vest volcanion at all (heatran needing shuca and sun to live a hit and milotic and suicune just sit there tickeling it with its ice moves), i looked for a new option. This is the result.

Swampert @ Groundium Z
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 64 Def / 136 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Icy Wind
- Wide Guard
- Protect / Stone Edge / Roar

Groundium-Z swampert main role is supporting sun teams (or just charizard-Y) with minimal mons. It got perfect type sync with charizard-Y (both resisting all of the others weaknesses) and resisting rock slide only adding a grass weakness (not a problem for sun teams). It provides speed control with icy wind punishing switch-ins form landarus-T, Salamence-Mega and Zygarde. Second it provides wide guard support to give its team a better matchup against spread moves like rock slide, earthquake or thousand arrows. But most importantly sniping OHKO against a lot of mons threatening sun/charizard-Y as volcanion, tyranitar and tapu koko (Generally only uses it Z-move for treats so a 2nd Z-move on your team isn't really a problem). Damp also it prevents explosion gimmicks on low ladder or against memeplay a least better than torrent w/o water move.

For an only countering volcanion gastrodon is better but it lacks in support and somewhat in offence. Milotic (and suicune) generally do a better job at speed control for when a water type is necessary. For a rock resist wide guard user aegislash is often the better choice (sun boosting its weakness makes it an awkward pick for sun).But if you need a solid fire resist and wide guard user for your sun team, there's always is swampert.

The HP invesment lives 2 mega-kangaskhan seismic tosses (or just maximum bulk). Attack investment guarantees a OHKO tectonic rage on 232/8 tyranitar (which is bulkier than 252/0). Sp. defence investment prevents swampert form getting 2HKO 252+ volcanion steam eruption outside of sun (and 4HKO in sun). Speed outspeed neutral no investment tyranitar and neutral base 100 with 8 speed speed creep (bulky mega-kangaskhan). Rest dumped in defence for extra bulk.

Although protect is often prefert stone edge beats fire checks as zapdos and punishing pelipper for changing weather. Roar for trick room, preventing your opponent form setting up substitutes en reseting stats of opposing mons. More a sassy nature can be used for better damage with icy wind (see landarus-T, Zygarde and Salamence in the cals).With sassy it outspeed hoop-U and heatran under trick room.With Lowering iv it can also outspeed tyranitar with 1 speed iv under trick room while outspeeding diance outside of trick room (or 0 speed iv to tie). More Atk investment can increase a few OHKO rolls in your favor but none are really important. More spd can be used to make deoxy-A psycho boost in psychic terrein a roll in your favor (25%, 252/196+) keeping 16 ev's in defence to avoid losing the 2HKO from jolly landarus-T's tectonic rage. More physical defencive sets aren't really viable.

44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 416-492 (107.7 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 93-110 (23 - 27.2%) -- 55.8% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert in Sun: 82-97 (20.2 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 780-920 (193 - 227.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (doesn't ko through protect; scoutable)

0- SpA Swampert Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-Therian: 112-136 (35.1 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (same for neutral spA)
0- SpA Swampert Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 72-88 (22.5 - 27.5%) -- 50.1% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Swampert Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 84-100 (26.3 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Swampert: 321-378 (79.4 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0- SpA Swampert Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence-Mega: 104-124 (31.4 - 37.4%) -- 76.9% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Swampert Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence-Mega: 112-136 (33.8 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Aerilate Salamence-Mega Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Swampert: 256-303 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

44 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 206-246 (73.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 500-590 (177.9 - 209.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 87-105 (21.5 - 25.9%) -- 2.7% chance to 4HKO

0- SpA Swampert Icy Wind vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 96-116 (25 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (breaks sub on commen zygarde)
0 SpA Swampert Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 112-132 (26.6 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (breaks sub on most bulky zygardes)
252+ Atk Zygarde Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Swampert: 273-322 (67.5 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Swampert: 102-121 (25.2 - 29%)

44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 374-444 (102.7 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 169-201 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (5HKO in sun, and watch out for burns)
252+ SpA Volcanion Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert in Sun: 82-97 (20.2 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

44 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nihilego: 660-780 (183.3 - 216.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 71-86 (17.5 - 21.2%) -- possible 5HKO (sash is beter)

44 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Victini: 186-218 (53.1 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (scarf)
44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Victini: 440-518 (108.9 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (bulky)
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Swampert: 124-147 (30.6 - 36.3%) -- 59.3% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Swampert in Sun: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
Victini Final Gambit vs. 252 HP Swampert: 350-350 (86.6 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 404-476 (124.6 - 146.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Swampert: 220-261 (54.4 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

44 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 276-326 (76.4 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (OHKO Tectonic Rage)
252+ Atk Excadrill Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Swampert: 151-178 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO(lo is a 2HKO)

44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 308-366 (101.3 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Diancie: 296-350 (97.3 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (more bulky spread)
252+ Atk Stone Plate Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Swampert: 68-81 (16.8 - 20%) -- possible 5HKO
0 SpA Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 88-105 (21.7 - 25.9%) -- 2.9% chance to 4HKO

44 Atk Swampert Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Zapdos: 146-174 (38 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Zapdos: 396-468 (103.1 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (when roosted)
252 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 55-65 (13.6 - 16%) -- possible 7HKO (most don't even run max spa)

44 Atk Swampert Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pelipper: 164-194 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
44 Atk Swampert Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 118-140 (36.4 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Pelipper Scald vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert in Rain: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Pelipper Scald vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert in Rain: 136-162 (33.6 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

44 Atk Swampert Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 174-206 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Swampert: 204-242 (50.4 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

44 Atk Swampert Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 218-258 (72.9 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 71-84 (17.5 - 20.7%) -- possible 5HKO (also can't be paralyzed)

44 Atk Swampert Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 218-258 (72.9 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 82-97 (20.2 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 380-452 (94 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (kinda cool but most run Grass knot on specs)

44 Atk Swampert Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 154-182 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (idk what kind of speads are good)
152 SpA Rotom-Heat Inferno Overdrive (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert in Sun: 162-192 (40 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

No calculations but it's straight forward.
Hydreigon (isn't treated and can set up tailwind)
Politoad (isn't treated and can set up rain)
Gyarados (Flying-Z sets beats it, other sets lose in sun)
Terrokion (outspeeds and 2HKO's with cc and survives with sash)
Cresselia (can roar to prevent calm mind and/or trick room set up)
Necrozma (can roar to prevent calm mind and/or trick room set up)
Landarus-I (just hates icy wind)

44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 279-328 (99.2 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert in Psychic Terrain: 273-321 (67.5 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Metagross-Mega: 308-366 (101.9 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Swampert: 186-219 (46 - 54.2%) -- 48.4% chance to 2HKO

44 Atk Swampert Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 308-366 (95 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Swampert: 274-324 (67.8 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Edit:Suicune can just neuter volcanion with snarl.

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
nobody posts in this thread which is a tragedy

solution: post in the thread

it's midnight aka peak energy hours so lgi

Genesect @ Assault Vest
Ability: Download
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Assault vest genesect lets you have more freedom in switching moves which is really useful. Otherwise with the other set you're basically dressing yourself up to get fucked everytime you lock into iron head / ice beam / gunk shot and they call it by switching into their switchin. Also the extra bulk is v nice

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 164 HP / 60 Def / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Protect

A last-gen callback, cm garde is really nice for setting up vs things-you-can't-touch-but-similarly-don't-touch-you aka heatran/fini/zapdos/landot(that is locked into something or intimidated)
fun with tailwind, good with amoonguss, I like using double intimidate with this set

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

moves aren't important, it's the evs. max hp max speed is actually quite fun to use, all credit goes to hashies for exposing me to this. Being able to flamethrower/heat wave things before they can hit you (esp nonscarf landot) feels very nice especially on teams with less fast shit. use slower zard if you have tr, or be wild and don't all up to you

Kartana @ Scope Lens
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 216 HP / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Substitute
- Protect

qsns gets credit on this one. Scope lens gives Kartana a 50% crit chance on leaf blade so you're kind've immune to intimidate? half the time? Think of it as a coin flip boost that averages out to 1.25x assuming intimidate doesn't come into play. Fun if you can fit kartana on your team

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

qsns again, flynium z hits amoonguss and marshadow and generally hits quite hard, while water covers its resists

Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpD / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sky Drop

super bulky rotato/utility koko, if you're trying to be offensive just use nature's madness, mostly you're clicking vswitch to switch around on things while you force them out. Probably want to use max speed now that marshadow is out tho

----------------------

in this space rest swagger kingdra, swagger swampert, and swagger amoonguss. May they continue to lure Tapu Fini in whatever greener pastures they have found...

-----------------------

[11:54 PM] qsns: chec
[11:54 PM] qsns: mention my
[11:54 PM] qsns: innovative evs
[11:54 PM] qsns: on kart
[11:55 PM] qsns: thats the best part

they live a -1 marshadow cc with the rest in spdef since investing in atk is less efficient when you have a wildly high atk base stat

---

I am asked to further clarify that it's marsh cc with life orb

memo: merged triple post

Last edited by a moderator:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I've been casually experimenting with Assault Vest Heatran on TR teams and liking the results. You still live an EP from an opposing Heatran, get more overall special bulk on an already bulky mon, and get a bit more flexibility with your coverage moves. My go-tos have been Flash Cannon and Stone Edge; Heatran already walls Lele and Charizard, so having super-effective moves to actually force them out is nice. But, you can easily replace either with Eruption, HP Ice, or whatever coverage moves your team needs.

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon / Eruption / Hidden Power Ice
- Stone Edge / Eruption / Hidden Power Ice

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Heatran: 276-328 (71.5 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)