Counter Strike: Global Offensive

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Does anyone else play this game? I bought it a while ago out of thirst for a new FPS and friends recommended it to me, and I liked CS 1.6 back in the day, it was cheap on Steam (like 50% off or more idr), and I've been wanting to try it out for a while now. I got it, played a few games, it seemed really weird because I'm not used to the way guns and recoil work in the game in general. Seems like standing still is rewarded a lot more than walking, which struck me as odd cuz the other FPSes I played all rewarded for walking and the crosshair wouldn't spread to as wide as the screen when you walk. Walking is still good in the game cuz you can quickly stand still from a walk and shoot accurately and it doesn't make any footsteps sounds so yeah.

I'm still playing mostly against bots offline because I need to get used to the guns (and get better), the maps, and everything else. I don't know how purchasing guns/microtransactions work exactly yet lol, I just play casual where you can buy specific weapons from cash earned in each game.

So yeah if anyone else plays it maybe we can play together?

Unlucky Desperado

Banned deucer.
I just started also. Still Rank 1 playing casual. I don't think you really need to play bots and get "better" guns because M4, AWP, and AK (when ur terrorist) is usually all u need. Personally I really like the MP7 but I'm trying to improve long range shooting with stuff like M4A1 and AK

I play this game a good bit, still in silver(silver elite master), add me if you want: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198065548280/
I'm not bad or anything, I just havent made it to the next rank yet.
Fun Facts about me: I opened a M4A1-S Cyrex FT in my 3rd case ever which I gave to a friend then in my 8th case I opened a Butterfly Night FN worth 600 US Dollars which I traded away for equal worth. Also during the last tournament I got 3 souvenir drops. I'm looking to learn more so if your of decent rank and dont mind teaching me some things please add me!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just started also. Still Rank 1 playing casual. I don't think you really need to play bots and get "better" guns because M4, AWP, and AK (when ur terrorist) is usually all u need. Personally I really like the MP7 but I'm trying to improve long range shooting with stuff like M4A1 and AK
I like playing counter terrorist mostly because I always did when I was a kid playing cs 1.6, but I also really like the AUG. I guess the SG weapon for terrorists or the Galil is just as cool though.

I agree though there isn't a need for a better gun (or at least sniper) than AWP. I'm playing against bots mainly for practice.
I play this game a good bit, still in silver(silver elite master), add me if you want: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198065548280/
I'm not bad or anything, I just havent made it to the next rank yet.
Fun Facts about me: I opened a M4A1-S Cyrex FT in my 3rd case ever which I gave to a friend then in my 8th case I opened a Butterfly Night FN worth 600 US Dollars which I traded away for equal worth. Also during the last tournament I got 3 souvenir drops. I'm looking to learn more so if your of decent rank and dont mind teaching me some things please add me!
I have no idea what all of that means. please elaborate if you don't mind lol

I like playing counter terrorist mostly because I always did when I was a kid playing cs 1.6, but I also really like the AUG. I guess the SG weapon is just as cool on the terrorist side though.

I agree though there isn't a need for a better gun (or at least sniper) than AWP. I'm playing against bots mainly for practice.

I have no idea what all of that means. please elaborate if you don't mind lol
In CSGO there are skins, some that are worth 4 cents, some are worth 2000 dollars. It all depends. Cyrex is the name of a skin for some guns and night is the name of a skin for knifes. You can attain these from opening cases, trading or buying off the steam market. On here: http://csgo.steamanalyst.com/ you can find all the skins and their prices. For the skins that are worth 2000 dollars people usually trade up to the worth of it or some people use actual money. Some people also just go ahead and sell their stuff on the market for its respective price.

I keep meaning to buy it, but haven't seen a really good sale in a long while. For me it'd mostly be nostalgia though, back when school computers were easy to toss games onto in middle school, I remember many hours of counter strike being played. I suck at shooters in general, but eh, it could be fun every once in a while.

aVocado

@ Everstone
I keep meaning to buy it, but haven't seen a really good sale in a long while. For me it'd mostly be nostalgia though, back when school computers were easy to toss games onto in middle school, I remember many hours of counter strike being played. I suck at shooters in general, but eh, it could be fun every once in a while.
It always gets super cheap in major sales. I got mine during a sale a week or two ago iirc

It always gets super cheap in major sales. I got mine during a sale a week or two ago iirc
I'm thinking more like when Steam had it on sale for like $3, not their usual half price occasional promos. That or the steam wish list is really failing in letting you know about offers.

I'm thinking more like when Steam had it on sale for like $3, not their usual half price occasional promos. That or the steam wish list is really failing in letting you know about offers.
Unfortunately, Valve is probably never pricing it that low ever again - best bet at this point is grabbing it for $7.50, which it is during Steam sales/major tournaments. You can also probably get it for cheaper via key trading, but I doubt that the savings would be worth the effort. Honestly, if you play the game enough you can end up making back that money anyways. And even if you don't, the game itself is fun enough to be well worth the price - especially so if you have friends you can play it with.

The game itself is by far the best shooter on the market. It's incredible to think that it's now the big FPS. I wouldn't be surprised to see it surpass CoD one day. For those who don't know, it's search and destroy from cod, best out of 30 rounds. (two bombsites, one team attacking and the other defending, with teams switching after 15 rounds). The economy system is the real unique aspect of the game, other then the fact that aiming is actually hard. You have to balance your money meaning that you can't always buy the best weapons.

I am pretty ass at the game myself, but hopefully once I build a new computer I think I'm going to dedicate more hours playing! Mainly, I follow the pro scene a lot, and I like to pretend I know more about the game then I probably actually do lol. I think it's probably the most fun esport game to watch, considering how exciting the rounds are, and the fact that there really isn't a true snowballing mechanic, making comebacks more plausible and adding a lot of tension. Definitely you guys should check out some of the matches at ESL Cologne, which was the most recent "big" tournament. Instead of having a big international tournament, there are 3 250k tournaments a year funded by Valve, along with other various smaller tournaments.

basically the game is pretty cool and you guys should buy it! ^_^

aVocado

@ Everstone
So guys correct me if I'm wrong but basically in this game there is no difference between a player who just started and a player who's played for years in terms of guns and items available, right?

Another FPS I played (tho it was f2p so it's understandable) had a system where you buy your own guns that last a certain period of time (1d, 7d, 30d, 365d, or permanent) and they'd expire after that. People who had no in-game money or didn't pay cash are fucked and are stuck with the permanent weapons you start out with (m16, mac-10, a 2-hit kill sniper which is actually good, and a shit pistol and grenade). From what I've played so far I didn't notice such a system in cs:go and basically you have the same weapons as everyone minus reskins which i think aren't different?

Jalmont

So guys correct me if I'm wrong but basically in this game there is no difference between a player who just started and a player who's played for years in terms of guns and items available, right?

Another FPS I played (tho it was f2p so it's understandable) had a system where you buy your own guns that last a certain period of time (1d, 7d, 30d, 365d, or permanent) and they'd expire after that. People who had no in-game money or didn't pay cash are fucked and are stuck with the permanent weapons you start out with (m16, mac-10, a 2-hit kill sniper which is actually good, and a shit pistol and grenade). From what I've played so far I didn't notice such a system in cs:go and basically you have the same weapons as everyone minus reskins which i think aren't different?

Jalmont
Yep, and just to expand a little bit - all guns are available to every player and there is no grinding necessary to get any of the guns. That's what makes CS:GO such a competitive game. It's skill first, not "do you have the best gun in the game?" A lot of COD's success comes from being such a reward heavy system. The fun is in leveling up, getting new gear, getting cool killstreaks, not necessarily the actual game play itself, i.e. winning matches. CS is awesome in that none of that stuff matters. All that counts is your personal skill, which is frustrating at first because the game is hard. But once you learn the maps, get aiming down a little, learn how to use nades, that's when the game becomes really fun.

Skins are a purely cosmetic part of the game. They don't matter...but they are strangely addicting. That's really where Valve makes their money. But for the most part, you don't really need to worry about skins, especially when you first start out playing.

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I was actually debating making a thread for this game for a long time and im happy someone finally did if anyone ever wants too play with me i have two accounts my main account is legendary eagle http://steamcommunity.com/id/hahahanoicememes/and i have a smurf account thats master guardian 1 http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198188958977/ anyone feel free to add either account

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=308490450&searchtext
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243702660&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419404847&searchtext=
those are 3 very helpful maps the first one is a map to help you make a crosshair the 2nd map is just a bot practice map and the 3rd map is a map that teaches you the recoil patterns on all the guns you will be most likely using

Last edited:

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
What I always liked about CS is how strategic it works, compared to other shooters (I mean, there's a good reason for CS still being popular after 15 years). Learning good spots for grenades, positioning with/against awp, holding bombsites, rushing strats, all the sound of footsteps/bullets etc.

The learning curve is not so friendly but it's very rewarding when you actually see some progress. Casual mode is always ok for your need for killing people (or to practice nades/awping/whatever), but after some time you get to realize how stupid it can be. Really, this game was meant to be played 5x5. Also I'm pretty happy to see Valve actually making a lot of effort to balance CSGO.

Unlucky Desperado

Banned deucer.
I can finally play competitive! I know jacob told me that most people are somewhere around that legendary eagle master thing, but I know most of my friends are around gold nova or something (guess that means they suck hehe). I think I got hang of Dust II from playing it alot and watching tournaments in it. I'm ok at inferno but I really need advice for Mirage, I played a game where when I was Ct, T rushed A every time.

The other maps like Cache, cobble, etc.. I will learn later.

Also I got 4 cases and a Mp7 Army Recon drop. How can I get more skins and also does anyone wanna maybe trade even though I don't have anything much rn

Honestly I got some of my best advice on maps from playing and just asking team mates which call outs are which and learning the angles on maps from watching where people chill at.

As for the question about skins, you get 1 weekly if you've bought the bloodhound operation, I'm not sure if you still get them without it. Cases are also really risky and can take your money like a slot machine in vegas so don't get addicted to opening them like me. I've spent over 100 dollars on keys, but that's only because I have opened multiple guns/a knife to repay myself with.

Its good you watched some tournaments, continue to watch them, watch old ones, watch all of them(not literally, just watch a good amount of them). Most of the commentators for this game actually are good commentators that know about the game so listen to what they say. You can learn cool things watching tournaments.

On another note I played log competitive for the first time in months and its actually a really fun map, its a shame more people don't play the operation bloodhound maps in comp. I also plan on trying out zoo comp if anyone ever wants to join me, I don't care about my rank so even if your silver Ill play with you.

EDIT: I'm still really bad tho

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Learning the maps is definitely a huge part of Counter Strike in general. Sight lines (and avoiding being sniped) are really important.

I have played barely any CS:GO, it handles strangely compared to Source, but I should definitely have a crack at getting back into it. I'll never be great at it (I'm pretty okay in TF2), but hey its all for fun right? :P

most people are definitely not legendary eagle master or even around there lol wtf?

"average" in terms of game skill would be like dmg, and "average" in terms of where the majority of the playerbase exists would be around nova 2-master

jacob

most people are definitely not legendary eagle master or even around there lol wtf?

"average" in terms of game skill would be like dmg, and "average" in terms of where the majority of the playerbase exists would be around nova 2-master
i told him gold nova master is average i dont know why he thinks i said lem was.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, rank is pretty meaningless as long as you are playing for fun. Really, it's probably only best to use as an indicator for when you should probably make the move towards third-party matchmaking systems ie ESEA.

Also a heads up, ESL Dubai is today to the 12th, featuring the best teams in the world right now. If you haven't watched much CS, this is a great opportunity to see the best teams in the world atm duke it out for a pretty nice prize pool.

jacob

Fair enough. For what it's worth, rank is pretty meaningless as long as you are playing for fun. Really, it's probably only best to use as an indicator for when you should probably make the move towards third-party matchmaking systems ie ESEA.

Also a heads up, ESL Dubai is today to the 12th, featuring the best teams in the world right now. If you haven't watched much CS, this is a great opportunity to see the best teams in the world atm duke it out for a pretty nice prize pool.
i got a free esea code for a week trial and to be honest it wasn't much better then esea(not saying that because im low rank or anything im lem) it was pretty boring and people raged more then they do in mm.

And im pretty happy to see if Cloud 9 can get back to form after a disappointing major finish

i think esea is better if one is serious about improving and participating in leagues and stuff. (which is why i wouldn't be surprised if there are more ragers!) i guess if anything they have a better anti-cheat too, so if cheating is a big issue with someone, ESEA is probably the way to go over valve mm. but otherwise there's nothing inherently wrong with valve mm. it does it's job

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)