Research Comprehensive list of Moves exclusive to the Virtual Console games

Gen I: https://pastebin.com/CzE4Ssbw
Gen II: https://pastebin.com/q40gJKjX

I spent the last few days making this, I can't think of a more appropriate place to put this in at the moment so here is a guide of Moves that can only be obtained, or obtained more easily, in the Gen I Virtual Console games via Poketransfer sometime within the next few months. If you re-post this give credit to me.

Note most of these are utterly useless competitively, but for those who want to collect a bunch of weird moves this is for you.

If the mods feel that there is a more appropriate sub forum(or a thread to be merged into), please do so.

EDIT 10/7/17

I renamed the thread and posted the Gen II movelist as well. I also decided to add compatibility with TM/HM moves that when I first made the list didn't know wouldn't be in Gen VII(Dig, Cut, Strength, Flash, ect) since they had been in every gen thusfar. Basically It is a list of moves they can get in Gens 1 and 2, but not in Sun and Moon(When USUM comes out I will edit the lists to mentions listed moves that became tutors or something in those games) The exception is moves that are Egg Moves in Gen VII, but were obtained via other, easier means in Gen I and II(primarily TMs)

Last edited:
oh neat, pidgeot learns razor wind. not amazing but least it's a normal stab that isn't hyper beam.
Pretty useful for me personally, cause think be entertaining to have a bubblebeam rat in gen 7 and reflect arcanine.
Thanks for all the effort!

oh neat, pidgeot learns razor wind. not amazing but least it's a normal stab that isn't hyper beam.
Pretty useful for me personally, cause think be entertaining to have a bubblebeam rat in gen 7 and reflect arcanine.
Thanks for all the effort!
Pidgeot gets Swift, not very useful but it doesn't take up two turns like Razor Wind so it can do more damage in 2 turns. Though not nearly as much of a novelty since you can already get that via transferring from 3rd or 4th gen.

Also I'm hoping at least SOME of the 1st gen Reflect mons might have some use competitively, since an absurdly large chunk of Pokemon could learn it via TM back then but not when they re-introduced it in 3rd gen.

Last edited:
I'm currently working on fixing any errors the current version has. I made a few spelling errors and made a few minor mistakes, like forgetting that the Nidoran lines also got Tackle in 2nd gen(They stopped having it as their starting move in Ruby and Sapphire).

Cool! I've always liked learning about strange moves that Pokemon used to learn (bring back the Curse TM!), so this list is really interesting.

I'm surprised by how many Pokemon learn Skull Bash. Then again, it's just bashing your head against the opponent, so maybe I should be more confused that these most of these Pokemon don't learn it anymore.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Skull Bash available again made me think that we can have Pikachu with the moveset of the one in Smash Bros until I remembered that it's incompatible with the Final Smash Move, Volt Tackle. Game Freak gives and Game Freak takes away makes you realize they never gave you what you thought you were given in the first place. X(

Edit: 600th post? I post more than I think I do.

Edit 2: Volt Tackle is a Move Tutor Move in SuMo! I'm getting a Smash Bros Pika!

Last edited:
Yeah, barely any interesting additions here from a competitive standpoint.

I saw Zapdos got Whirlwind and I thought - that could be a really cool addition on defensive sets. Then I realised it got Roar in other gens anyway - so not really a new move is it?

Okay I edited the first post, I updated the list, corrected some mistakes and added a few things I forgot the first time through(For example Seel and Dewgong can get Strength via HM in Gen I but not in any other Gen). If anyone notices any errors, please PM me, otherwise this will be the final version until Sun and Moon come out, in which case I'll add the specifics of how the transfer works.

Very nice, big up for doing this. I was planning to do this a long time ago, but then I kinda let go of it. Again, thank you for the effort, it'll definitely be useful for me in the future.

Last edited:
Very nice, big up for doing this. I was planning to do this a long time ago, but then I kinda let go of it. Again, thank you for the effort, it'll definitely be useful for me in the future.
No problem, I originally made it for personal use, but I decided to share it publicly since I figured others would want to find out what moves were available via transfer without shuffling back and forth between pages on Bulbapedia or other sites to find any differences.

On an unrelated note, apparently when I replaced the link to the newer version it wasn't actually replaced for whatever reason, it should be fixed now.

Thank you for creating this! I've always found stuff like this pretty fascinating. There aren't too many competitive implications here, but several that are just extremely strange and interesting. The moves Pokemon just flat out stopped receiving like Solar Beam Lapras and Strength Seel are pretty neat in particular.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Thanks for making this amazing list!

I wonder if any of those moves can be inherited like egg moves?
Or are they purely for our own use (banned for tournaments?)

Thanks for making this amazing list!

I wonder if any of those moves can be inherited like egg moves?
Or are they purely for our own use (banned for tournaments?)
Only the ones that are already listed as egg moves in Gen VII, like Take Down Nidoran and Bide Omanyte. We don't know how they're going to handle them in tournamnets, this is what we do know

-They will have at least 3 perfect IVs each
-They have their Hidden Ability
-Nature is based on the amount of experience the Pokemon has.
-They get a special menu symbol that looks like an original model Gameboy, similar to the Kalos/Hoenn pentagon and Alola plus sign.

Last edited:
Bumping because It is now finished completely and includes Gen II. I actually made the Gen II list shortly after I made the Gen I list. I also included Crystal exclusive stuff because, via people datamining both the eShop and Pokemon Bank, Crystal eventually being released is inevitable

I was wondering if you could make a separate list for moves that were completely illegal until the Virtual Console became compatible with Pokemon Bank, so stuff like headbutt wouldn't be on that list because it was a Generation 4 move tutor.

Okay, made some final adjustments for the gen to take USUM movesets into account.

Also I was correct in that crystal would come out eventually, so luckily all of the moves that are exclusive to Crystal have been on the Gen II document since it was first created.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)