[COMPLETED] Dugtrio

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Where do you think you're going?

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Arena Trap lets Dugtrio trap and kill opposing Pokemon.</li>
<li>Of all the trappers, Dugtrio is the only physical attacker, and thus the best suited to take out certain targets.</li>
<li>Dugtrio's high Speed enables it to trap almost anything unboosted.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>There is a more limited pool of things it can trap compared to Shadow Tag uers.</li>
<li>Dugtrio is incredibly frail and not even all that powerful.</li>
<p>Reliance on Focus Sash means that Dugtrio can be crippled by entry hazards and multi-hit moves.</p>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Trapper<br />
move 1: Earthquake<br />
move 2: Stone Edge<br />
move 3: Reversal<br />
move 4: Memento / Sucker Punch<br />
nature: Jolly<br />
ability: Arena Trap<br />
item: Focus Sash<br />
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe</p>

<p>With this moveset, Dugtrio targets a wide array of Pokemon: Volcarona, Klefki, Excadrill, Heliolisk, Magnezone, Dragalge, Ninetales, Lucario, and, most notably, Tyranitar. However, since Dugtrio isn't overly strong, many of these threats won't be KOed without prior damage. Moreover, some might boost their Speed, such as Volcarona with Quiver Dance or Excadrill with sand support, and some might just have priority, such as Lucario. In many cases, Dugtrio will need Focus Sash to remain intact to work at all, so you should pair Dugtrio with either Xatu or Espeon for Magic Bounce for best results, or at least a reliable Defog or Rapid Spin user. However, don't expect too much out of Focus Sash Dugtrio in terms of power. You should use a Choice Band or Life Orb if you need that extra power, but be aware of how Dugtrio no longer reliably deals with boost their Speed or utilize priority. Also note that you won't be able to freely switch Dugtrio into what you want to trap most of the time.</p>

<p>The final moveslot can be played in two interesting ways. Memento provides help to your team if you have a notable set up sweeper that can become very threatening in one move, such as Azumarill, Talonflame, or Volcarona. On the other hand, Sucker Punch will provide Dugtrio with some protection against faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users as well as an extra priority move against many Pokemon that your team might struggle with otherwise.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The best way to render Dugtrio useless is to not use anything it is particularly effective at trapping, since if it traps one of your non-Levitating, Flying-, Ghost-type Pokemon, you can't switch out to a check or counter. Additionally, since Dugtrio is so reliant on Focus Sash remaining intact, keeping your entry hazards up will severely limit Dugtrio's viability. Dugtrio is incredibly frail and can be revenge killed by almost anything. Some priority users, such as Weavile and Scizor, and almost anything that outspeeds it with a Choice Scarf, are great options. But you don't have to outspeed Dugtrio to beat it. Many things also don't mind Dugtrio's attacks and are good options despite being slower, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Rotom-W, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and Skarmory.</p>

Last edited:

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Please reverse the order of Earthquake and Reversal, as Earthquake is arguably the more important move to use before Focus Sash kick in.

Otherwise, I think this looks perfectly fine, and will approve maybe after talking it over with the others.~

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
<li>Arena Trap is inferior to Shadow Tag, so Gothitelle, Wobbuffet, and Mega Gengar provide stiff competition and reduce Dugtrio's niche.</li>
There are a couple of things to consider:
-Wobbuffet has a difficult time trapping non-choiced users
-Gothitelle is slow
-Mega Gengar needs to evolve before it can use its ability

In other words, I don't think Dugtrio faces stiff competition from any of these Pokemon since they play differently. In fact, Dugtrio can trap Pokemon
that the others can't. A more accurate con would be that Dugtrio can only trap a select few Pokemon, versus the wider range of Pokemon that the others can trap.

I would also change your targets:
Targets: Volcarona, Tentacruel, Delphox, Excadrill, Heliolisk, Magnezone, Dragalge, Ninetales, Aegislash, (Mega) Lucario, and, most notably, Tyranitar.
I'd remove Tentacruel and Delphox, as neither of them are used, and add in Klefki.

Everything else is fine.

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Changed the move order, targets, and made the con about competition from the Shadow Tag users more general. I'll be sure to use PK Gaming's considerations when it comes time for me to write it up.

I initially had the move order the same way as the BW OU set. The change to move order is fine though.
Suggestions about the targets to mention are totally welcome too. I personally almost never see any Dragalge or Ninetales. Mega Charizard-X is another possible addition, though I doubt Dugtrio is KOing it.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Err, the point I was trying to make is that Dugtrio can only trap a limited Pokemon. It doesn't necessarily face competition from the other Shadow Tag users, it just has a limited (albeit important) pool of targets in comparison to them.

That should be the con.

I guess if you wanted to make your list more accurate, I guess you could add Charizard-X and remove Dragalge (it still doesn't get adaptability), but I would still mention Ninetales. I feel like its going to be relevant eventually.

I thought that Aegislash does not get trapped by Arena trap, so you can remove mentions of that if that is the case.

Also please add Trevenant and Gourgiest as counters.

QC APPROVED 2/3

Bughouse

Oh yeah, you're right. Keep forgetting that Ghosts don't get trapped anymore. Fixed that stuff. Writing this up later.

In the cons, mention how it relies on an intact Focus Sash to effectively do its job and that it can thus be crippled through entry hazards and multi-hit moves, as you've already stated in the set comments.

QC 3/3

Reactions: tab
This is an amateur GP check.
Remove
Add
Comments
[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Arena Trap letsallows Dugtrio to trap and killKO(consistency) opposing Pokemon.</li>
<li>Out Oof all of the trappers, Dugtrio is the only Physical Attacker, and thus the best suited to take out certain targets.</li>
<li>Dugtrio's high speed enables it to trap almost anything unboosted.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>There isIt has a more limited pool of things it can trap compared to the other trappers with Shadow Tag.</li>
<p>Its Rreliance on Focus Sash means that Dugtrio can be crippled by entry hazards or multi-hit moves.</p>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

[SET]
name: Trapper
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Reversal
move 4: Memento / Sucker Punch
nature: Jolly
ability: Arena Trap
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

<p>With this moveset, Dugtrio targets a wide array of Pokemon: Volcarona, Klefki, Excadrill, Heliolisk, Magnezone, Dragalge, Ninetales, (Mega) Lucario, and, most notably, Tyranitar. However, since Dugtrio isn't overly strong, many of these threats won't be KOed without prior damage. Moreover, some may speed boost, such as Volcarona with Quiver Dance or Excadrill with Sand support, while Lucario, both regular and Mega Evolved, haves priority. In many cases, Dugtrio will need Focus Sash to remain intact to work at all, so you should pair Dugtrio with either Xatu or Espeon for Magic Bounce for best results, or at least a reliable Defog or Rapid Spin user. However, don't expect too much out of Focus Sash Dugtrio in terms of power. You should use a Choice Band or Life Orb if you need that extra power,. butHowever, be aware of how Dugtrio no longer reliably deals with those speed boosters/ and priority users. andIn addition, you will no longer that you won't be able to freely switch Dugtrio into what you want to trap much of the time.(Was a little bit of a run-on)</p>

<p>The final moveslot can be played two interesting ways. Memento provides help to your team if you have a notable set-up sweeper that can become very threatening in one move, such as Azumarill, Talonflame, or Volcarona. On the other hand, Sucker Punch will provide Dugtrio some protection against opponents' fastest Pokemon and Choice Scarf users as well as an extra priority hit against many things that your team might struggle against otherwise.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The best way to render Dugtrio useless is to not use anything it is particularly effective at trapping, since if it traps one of your non-Levitating, / Flying-, or/ Ghost- type Pokemon, you can't switch out to a counter or check. Additionally, since Dugtrio is so reliant on Focus Sash remaining intact, keeping your entry hazards up will severely limit Dugtrio's viability. Dugtrio is incredibly frail and can be revenge killed by almost anything. Some priority users, such as Weavile or Scizor, and almost anything that outspeeds it with a Choice Scarf are great options. But you don't have to outspeed Dugtrio to beat it. Many things also don't mind Dugtrio's attacks and are good options despite being slower, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Rotom-W, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and Skarmory.</p>

Last edited:

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check; not going to stamp the check above, but I am taking some of the changes that I like srk1214
Add
Remove
Comments

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Arena Trap lets Dugtrio trap and kill opposing Pokemon.</li>
<li>Of all the trappers, Dugtrio is the only Pphysical Aattacker, and thus the best suited to take out certain targets.</li>
<li>Dugtrio's high sSpeed enables it to trap almost anything unboosted.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>There is a more limited pool of things it can trap compared to the other trappShadow Tag users with Shadow Tag.</li>
<p>Reliance on Focus Sash means that Dugtrio can be crippled by entry hazards orand multi-hit moves.</p>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

[SET]
<p>name: Trapper<br />
move 1: Earthquake<br/ >
move 2: Stone Edge<br />
move 3: Reversal<br />
move 4: Memento / Sucker Punch<br />
nature: Jolly<br />
ability: Arena Trap<br />
item: Focus Sash<br />
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe</p>

<p>With this moveset, Dugtrio targets a wide array of Pokemon: Volcarona, Klefki, Excadrill, Heliolisk, Magnezone, Dragalage, Ninetales, (Mega) Lucario, and, most notably, Tyranitar. However, since Dugtrio isn't overly strong, many of these threats won't be KOed without prior damage. Moreover, some may sight boost their Speed boost, such as Volcarona with Quiver Dance or Excadrill with Ssand support, while Lucario, both regular and Mega Evolved,and some might just have priority, such as Lucario. In many cases, Dugtrio will need Focus Sash to remain intact to work at all, so you should pair Dugtrio with either Xatu or Espeon for Magic Bounce for best results, or at least a reliable Defog or Rapid Spin user. However, don't expect too much out of Focus Sash Dugtrio in terms of power. You should use a Choice Band or Life Orb if you need that extra power, but be aware of how Dugtrio no longer reliably deals with Pokemon that boose st their Speed boosters/or utilize priority users and. Also note that you won't be able to freely switch Dugtrio into what you want to trap muchost of the time.</p>

<p>The final moveslot can be played in two interesting ways. Memento provides help to your team if you have a notable set-(hyphen)up sweeper that can become very threatening in one move, such as Azumarill, Talonflame, or Volcarona. On the other hand, Sucker Punch will provide Dugtrio with some protection against opponents' fastestr Pokemon and Choice Scarf users as well as an extra priority hitmove against many thingsPokemon that your team might struggle againstwith otherwise.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The best way to render Dugtrio useless is to not use anything it is particularly effective at trapping, since if it traps one of your non- Levitating /,(AC) Flying- /,(AC) Ghost-(space)type Pokemon, you can't switch out to a counterheck or checkounter. Additionally, since Dugtrio is so reliant on Focus Sash remaining intact, keeping your entry hazards up will severely limit Dugtrio's viability. Dugtrio is incredibly frail and can be revenge killed by almost anything. Some priority users, such as Weavile orand Scizor, and almost anything that outspeeds it with a Choice Scarf,(AC) are great options. But you don't have to outspeed Dugtrio to beat it. Many things also don't mind Dugtrio's attacks and are good options despite being slower, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Rotom-W, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and Skarmory.</p>

Remember, you don't need a prefix if you're talking about a Pokemon in both its Mega-Evolved and normal forms. Aside from that, this is GP Approved.

Last edited:

Bughouse

GP Check implemented. Oh the intricacies of the Queen's English. We Americans see no reason to "provide with" when provide alone suffices.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
You didn't mention how dugtrio can trap heatran, a big target for dugtrio. You should really add that.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You didn't mention how dugtrio can trap heatran, a big target for dugtrio. You should really add that.
These analyses are previews for the XY metagame which only reflect sets which are possible before Pokebank is released. Because Heatran (among other Pokemon) is not currently available in XY it isn't mentioned in any of these previews.

E: Yes, that will change after bank is released.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Ah ok my bad. But will that change after pokebank is released?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)