[COMPLETED] Charizard

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Please remove the set names (DragonZard, Mixed Mega Charizard-Y, etc.) as well.

3rd paragraph of charizard y,

"<p>Good teammates include those who are able to Rapid Spin and reliably beat Tyranitar. Excadrill is able to clear Stealth Rock and can take out Tyranitar with Earthquake or Iron Head"

According to Serebii, Iron head is a BW2 Tutor, so it is unavailable at the moment.

ss234

bop.
k I'm not qc but I feel there are a few issues with this as it stands.

Firstly, togekiss is mentioned as a counter in the set comments of DragonDanceDragonzard(lol is this a srs set name). Why? I'm fairly certain that togekiss is 1HKO'd by Flare Blitz after sr at +1 so I'd remove that(+1 252 Atk Adaptability(tough claws) Megacharizard-x Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 302-356 (80.96 - 95.44%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock). Also, azumarill, according to this, can 1HKO with CB play rough, which it can't(it does 96% max with band). So yeah, either remove that or state that you need sr to get the KO imo, considering that everyone runs defog / spin support if running zard. Finally: 'Due to his somewhat low base Speed, base 100 Speed Choice Scarf users will outspeed Charizard, even after a Dragon Dance, and take you out.' This is false. 100 speed isn't slow(by my standards anyway), and are there actually any base 100 scarfers that can beat zard x? The only one I can think of is salamence, who was deemed unviable by qc so yeah. Also, specify that you speed tie with these at the least if you go Jolly(which is slashed).

Just my two cents.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 8 SDef / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

1. Enough speed to beat Jolly Lucario before it can Mega Evolve.
2. Enough bulk to guarantee Sludge Bomb survival from Mega Gengar after 25% Stealth Rock damage.
3. Enough offensive potency to run riot in the pre-bank metagame.

This moveset smashes through popular defensive cores. Will-O-Wisp is recommended to break Sturdy before attacking. Similarly, it can soften other things to reduce Flare Blitz recoil. Speaking of recoil, Dragon Claw is consequently your main attacking option (even against e.g. Trevenant). Use Flare Blitz sparingly (but it's always a threat), as your main weakness is recoil leaving Charizard within revenge-kill range.

Will-O-Wisp cripples common switch ins and allows Mega Charizard X to beat Choice Band Azumarill 1v1 if it needs to. Once mega evolved, this can switch in to Rotom appliances at will (Roost can stall out Hydro Pump), yet nothing is keen to switch in to Charizard. Trevenant and Gorgeist are also left crying in the corner.

Last edited:
Maybe at least OO mention of Physical versions of Charizard Y ? It hits like a truck under sun, which calculations prove on pages 12-13 of Charizard thread mentioned by me. With Paralysis/Sticky Web support SD version is good, while DD version still hits hard enough with Flare Blitz under sun.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
After using Mega Charizard-Y for an extended period of time, I feel like Dragon Pulse is mandatory. Without it, Goodra destroys you and you don't do enough damage to Dragonite. (Roost should be slashed after Dragon Pulse or put in AC, but it's hard to actually use). I also think that Modest is a better nature than Timid, since the base 100 Speed tier is fairly barren and Mega Charizard-Y needs the extra power for its coverage moves.

Silvershadow234. I fixed it.

Maybe at least OO mention of Physical versions of Charizard Y ? It hits like a truck under sun, which calculations prove on pages 12-13 of Charizard thread mentioned by me. With Paralysis/Sticky Web support SD version is good, while DD version still hits hard enough with Flare Blitz under sun.
I do have a set for it. It's the third set.

After using Mega Charizard-Y for an extended period of time, I feel like Dragon Pulse is mandatory. Without it, Goodra destroys you and you don't do enough damage to Dragonite. (Roost should be slashed after Dragon Pulse or put in AC, but it's hard to actually use). I also think that Modest is a better nature than Timid, since the base 100 Speed tier is fairly barren and Mega Charizard-Y needs the extra power for its coverage moves.
Done.

McGrrr, I'll test it out and get QC input on the set.

Btw, I'll be testing a Mixed Charizard-X and should have that done sometime soon.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
McGrrr's set is great and should be added. It's able to check a ton of Pokemon and at the same time it's really hard to switch into. However, i am not sure if we need enough Speed to outrun Lucario before it MEvolves, as it seems as a really situational scenario. Lucario always MEvolves the first turn that it gets in, so a 1 v 1 against those two is not only unlikely, but Lucario is always going to switch out anyway in this case, as it can't OHKO Charizard and is OHKOed back. Here is a better EV spread:

104 HP / 200 Atk / 8 SpD / 196 Spe with Adamant

Enough Speed to outrun Jolly Mamoswine and Adamant Excadrill, same defensive EVs, and a bit less investment to Atk but with the Adamant nature you actually have 29 more points in Atk. Whether those 29 more points should go to Atk or HP is something that i haven't thought about a lot, but both options seem fine to me.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
McGrrr's set is great and should be added. It's able to check a ton of Pokemon and at the same time it's really hard to switch into. However, i am not sure if we need enough Speed to outrun Lucario before it MEvolves, as it seems as a really situational scenario. Lucario always MEvolves the first turn that it gets in, so a 1 v 1 against those two is not only unlikely, but Lucario is always going to switch out anyway in this case, as it can't OHKO Charizard and is OHKOed back. Here is a better EV spread:

104 HP / 200 Atk / 8 SpD / 196 Spe with Adamant

Enough Speed to outrun Jolly Mamoswine and Adamant Excadrill, same defensive EVs, and a bit less investment to Atk but with the Adamant nature you actually have 29 more points in Atk. Whether those 29 more points should go to Atk or HP is something that i haven't thought about a lot, but both options seem fine to me.
That extra attack does guarantee a OHKO on normal Gengar with Dragon Claw, but it's a small issue.

308 speed is to beat base 90 tier and neutral 100. Lucario doesn't always get a chance to Mega Evolve until late, and it would suck to be slower and take the Close Combat. "Lucario will switch out" is really not a good argument, because if you know that Charizard is slower, then you also have to switch out. Kanga sits at base 90 as well.

308 also beats Rotom, Heracross, Pinsir etc. 312 speed is viable to beat Jolly Mega Garchomp, with those EVs coming from attack. The only impact is that normal Garchomp has a small chance of surviving Dragon Claw. 308 is 205 with Sticky Web in play, which still beats base 80 (without speed investment).

If you want to go the Adamant route, then beating Jolly Gyarados should be the benchmark, so:

104 HP / 188 Atk / 8 SpD / 208 Spe

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That extra attack does guarantee a OHKO on normal Gengar with Dragon Claw, but it's a small issue.

308 speed is to beat base 90 tier and neutral 100. Lucario doesn't always get a chance to Mega Evolve until late, and it would suck to be slower and take the Close Combat. "Lucario will switch out" is really not a good argument, because if you know that Charizard is slower, then you also have to switch out. Kanga sits at base 90 as well.

308 also beats Rotom, Heracross, Pinsir etc. 312 speed is viable to beat Jolly Mega Garchomp, with those EVs coming from attack. The only impact is that normal Garchomp has a small chance of surviving Dragon Claw. 308 is 205 with Sticky Web in play, which still beats base 80 (without speed investment).

If you want to go the Adamant route, then beating Jolly Gyarados should be the benchmark, so:

104 HP / 188 Atk / 8 SpD / 208 Spe
Lucario will switch out 1 v 1, as Charizard is usually faster and even if Lucario knows for sure that he is faster he woudln't want to stay in only to get OHKOed when it can't OHKO back.

But i forgot about Mega Kangaskhan, a very importat threat, so your spread is better for this reason.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lucario will switch out 1 v 1, as Charizard is usually faster and even if Lucario knows for sure that he is faster he woudln't want to stay in only to get OHKOed when it can't OHKO back.
The only information you have at the decision making point is that you know that Lucario is likely to be faster:

Jolly:0/252/0/0/4/252 35.994%
Jolly:4/252/0/0/0/252 9.949%
Adamant:4/252/0/0/0/252 8.548%
Timid:0/0/0/252/4/252 8.244%
Adamant:0/252/0/0/4/252 5.591%
Hasty:0/252/0/4/0/252 4.122%
Other 27.552%

58.3% of Lucario are + Speed, with an unknown % forming the "other" category.

Compared to:

Timid:4/0/0/252/0/252 29.415%
Adamant:4/252/0/0/0/252 20.400%
Jolly:4/252/0/0/0/252 12.874%
Modest:4/0/0/252/0/252 6.094%
Hasty:0/4/0/252/0/252 2.837%
Lonely:0/252/0/4/0/252 1.518%
Other 26.861%

45.1% of Charizards are +Speed, with an unknown % forming the "other" category.

If we have already Mega Evolved, only 38.7% of Mega Charizard X are Jolly (only counting known Jolly and Adamant).

It is certainly not inconceivable that Lucario will Mega Evolve and attack, hoping that we're slower, especially because giving us a free Dragon Dance could cost the battle.

This is your decision pay-off matrix:

252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 104 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 260-306 (80.49 - 94.73%)

1. When Lucario attacks, we lose out whatever decision we make.
2. When Lucario switches, we obviously gain by attacking.

We've already established that Lucario doesn't always switch. Since we know that Charizard is likely slower, we know that we're going to faint (due to Flare Blitz recoil even if we survive Close Combat) if Lucario attacks. Therefore, unless we can afford to lose Charizard, game theory dictates that we must switch.

Now consider the pay-off matrix for a Jolly Charizard:

Attacking is a dominating strategy. We don't care what Lucario does, because we gain regardless.

Last edited:
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 8 SDef / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

1. Enough speed to beat Jolly Lucario before it can Mega Evolve.
2. Enough bulk to guarantee Sludge Bomb survival from Mega Gengar after 25% Stealth Rock damage.
3. Enough offensive potency to run riot in the pre-bank metagame.

This moveset smashes through popular defensive cores. Will-O-Wisp is recommended to break Sturdy before attacking. Similarly, it can soften other things to reduce Flare Blitz recoil. Speaking of recoil, Dragon Claw is consequently your main attacking option (even against e.g. Trevenant). Use Flare Blitz sparingly (but it's always a threat), as your main weakness is recoil leaving Charizard within revenge-kill range.

Will-O-Wisp cripples common switch ins and allows Mega Charizard X to beat Choice Band Azumarill 1v1 if it needs to. Once mega evolved, this can switch in to Rotom appliances at will (Roost can stall out Hydro Pump), yet nothing is keen to switch in to Charizard. Trevenant and Gorgeist are also left crying in the corner.
I'm curious as to why you chose dragon claw over outrage for a dragon move. Also it seems that this set lacks coverage against rock and electric types that would be common switches against a Charizard. What about Earthquake over Will-O-Wisp?

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm curious as to why you chose dragon claw over outrage for a dragon move. Also it seems that this set lacks coverage against rock and electric types that would be common switches against a Charizard. What about Earthquake over Will-O-Wisp?
Outrage and Flare Blitz are both liabilities, but for different reasons. Locking yourself in to Outrage is out of the question with only 308 speed. Will-O-Wisp is a game changer that enables Mega Charizard X to beat Choice Band Azumarill 1v1... just consider that for a moment, as Azumarill is supposedly one of its premier counters. Burning opposing physical Pokemon really complements its 111 base defense and Roost.

What does Earthquake actually offer in the Heatran-less metagame?

Outrage and Flare Blitz are both liabilities, but for different reasons. Locking yourself in to Outrage is out of the question with only 308 speed. Will-O-Wisp is a game changer that enables Mega Charizard X to beat Choice Band Azumarill 1v1... just consider that for a moment, as Azumarill is supposedly one of its premier counters. Burning opposing physical Pokemon really complements its 111 base defense and Roost.

What does Earthquake actually offer in the Heatran-less metagame?
Sounds good. I'll try it out right now. I'm just getting into team building and such so your explanation was really helpful. Thanks!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
The only information you have at the decision making point is that you know that Lucario is likely to be faster:

Jolly:0/252/0/0/4/252 35.994%
Jolly:4/252/0/0/0/252 9.949%
Adamant:4/252/0/0/0/252 8.548%
Timid:0/0/0/252/4/252 8.244%
Adamant:0/252/0/0/4/252 5.591%
Hasty:0/252/0/4/0/252 4.122%
Other 27.552%

58.3% of Lucario are + Speed, with an unknown % forming the "other" category.

Compared to:

Timid:4/0/0/252/0/252 29.415%
Adamant:4/252/0/0/0/252 20.400%
Jolly:4/252/0/0/0/252 12.874%
Modest:4/0/0/252/0/252 6.094%
Hasty:0/4/0/252/0/252 2.837%
Lonely:0/252/0/4/0/252 1.518%
Other 26.861%

45.1% of Charizards are +Speed, with an unknown % forming the "other" category.

If we have already Mega Evolved, only 38.7% of Mega Charizard X are Jolly (only counting known Jolly and Adamant).

It is certainly not inconceivable that Lucario will Mega Evolve and attack, hoping that we're slower, especially because giving us a free Dragon Dance could cost the battle.

This is your decision pay-off matrix:

252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 104 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 260-306 (80.49 - 94.73%)

1. When Lucario attacks, we lose out whatever decision we make.
2. When Lucario switches, we obviously gain by attacking.

We've already established that Lucario doesn't always switch. Since we know that Charizard is likely slower, we know that we're going to faint (due to Flare Blitz recoil even if we survive Close Combat) if Lucario attacks. Therefore, unless we can afford to lose Charizard, game theory dictates that we must switch.

Now consider the pay-off matrix for a Jolly Charizard:

Attacking is a dominating strategy. We don't care what Lucario does, because we gain regardless.
Nevermind, completely forgot that Mega Char X is neutral to Close Combat (the Flying / Fire typing was stuck in my head).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, I take it back, Timid > Modest on Mega Charizard-Y haha...

Always losing out to Mega-Kanghaskan, Charizard-X (before it boosts) and Jolly Lucario is a no-no.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been saying for a while now that Mega Charizard X is legitimately the best Mega Evolution, so...

Bulky Dance

EVs: 176 Spd / 244 HP / 88 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

The EVs aren't necessarily optimal, but we've discussed the merits of 308 speed already (and in this instance, beating Adamant Mega Blaziken at every speed stage is pretty great). This ensures that Charizard remains a headache without needing to Dragon Dance, but when the opportunity arises, it can turn up the heat. The damage benchmark that I aimed for was:

+2 88 Atk Tough Claws Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 324-382 (100.3 - 118.26%)

Honestly though, this could go full bulky, running 0 Attack EVs, and it would still destroy. Tough Claws is just incredible.

+1 0 Atk Tough Claws Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 384-456 (107.26 - 127.37%)

Edit: it should be noted that at +1, we outspeed +2 Timid Gorebyss, Scarf Rotom, Scarf Excadrill etc.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
^ Blaziken is banned.

Also, there is no particular need to outspeed Scarf Timid Rotom-W. It can't do anything back besides Tricking its Choice Scarf to you (predictable as fuck) and it's not common either, though this is based on my experience. Same goes for Choice Scarf Excadrill, i have never seen one and unless it gets common i don't think Mega Char X should aim to outspeed it at +1. Outspeeding +2 Timid Gorebyss is completely irrelevant as it's not nearly used enough for Charizard to care. I have no clue which spread would be the best, just pointing out some things.

Also, with an Adamant nature and no Atk EVs, Charizard can always 2HKO 252 HP Azumarill with Flare Blitz at +1.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Updated Will-O-Wisp EVs:

EVs: 248 HP / 84 SDef / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

I switched to 0 Attack EVs and went full bulk, and this just crushes even more than it used to. Stealth Rock support compensates for the loss in power, and those SDef EVs really help against neutral hits. Here is an example log:

Turn 1
Charizard has Mega Evolved into Mega Charizard!

Charizard used Will-O-Wisp!
The opposing Azumarill was burned!

The opposing Azumarill used Waterfall!
Charizard lost 34.3% of its health!

The opposing Azumarill was hurt by its burn!

Charizard X v CB Azumarill: I heard that Azu was a counter?

Turn 2
Ulrich withdrew Azumarill!

Ulrich sent out Talonflame!

Charizard used Roost!
Charizard regained health!

Charizard at 100% We've battled before, so he knew Roost was coming.

Turn 3
The opposing Talonflame used Brave Bird!
Charizard lost 65.2% of its health!
The opposing Talonflame is damaged by recoil!

Charizard used Dragon Claw!
The opposing Talonflame lost 65% of its health!

Admittedly, this is where those lost attack EVs are felt. CB Talonflame at 10%.

Turn 4
Ulrich withdrew Talonflame!

Ulrich sent out Rotom-Heat!

Charizard, come back!

Go! Skarmory!

He predicted my Skarmory/Aegislash switch.

Turn 5

Skarmory, come back!

Go! Hydreigon!

The opposing Rotom-Heat used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective... Hydreigon lost 13.1% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Heat went back to Ulrich!

Ulrich sent out Goodra!

Volt switch was intended for Charizard, but Hydreigon doesn't care either.

Turn 6
Hydreigon, come back!

Go! Aegislash!

The opposing Goodra used Draco Meteor!
It's not very effective... Aegislash lost 23.1% of its health!
The opposing Goodra's Special Attack harshly fell!

Aegislash restored HP using its Leftovers!

Turn 7
The opposing Goodra used Earthquake!
It's super effective! Aegislash lost 34.0% of its health!

Aegislash used Shadow Ball!
The opposing Goodra lost 22% of its health!

I expected a switch after the SpAtt drop, but he surprised me with Earthquake (which is a change since we last battled!).

Turn 8

Aegislash, come back!

Go! Skarmory!

It's not very effective... Skarmory lost 22.2% of its health!

Skarmory restored HP using its Leftovers!

Rather optimistic Draco Meteor, but he presumably predicted Hydreigon or King's Shield.

Turn 9

Ulrich withdrew Goodra!

Ulrich sent out Excadrill!
The opposing Excadrill breaks the mold!
The opposing Excadrill floats in the air with its Air Balloon!

Skarmory used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the opposing team!

Turn 10
The opposing Excadrill used Earthquake!
It doesn't affect Skarmory...

Skarmory used Brave Bird!
It's not very effective... The opposing Excadrill lost 23% of its health!
Skarmory is damaged by recoil!
The opposing Excadrill's Air Balloon popped!

Earthquake was in case I switched to Gengar to spin block, but I really don't care about him spinning a one turn setup hazard.

Turn 11

The opposing Excadrill used Rapid Spin!
It's not very effective... Skarmory lost 2.4% of its health!
The pointed stones disappeared from around the opposing team!

Skarmory used Brave Bird!
A critical hit! It's not very effective... The opposing Excadrill lost 36% of its health!
Skarmory is damaged by recoil!

Turn 12
Ulrich withdrew Excadrill!

Skarmory used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the opposing team!

Rapid Spin is so necessary for his team, but I just need one turn to set it up again. I actually expected Talonflame to switch in while it had the chance.

Turn 13

Skarmory, come back!

Go! Hydreigon!

It's not very effective... Hydreigon lost 13.1% of its health!

Ulrich sent out Goodra!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Goodra!

Hydreigon just doesn't care about Rotom.

Turn 14

Hydreigon used Draco Meteor!
It's super effective! The opposing Goodra lost 60% of its health!
Hydreigon's Special Attack harshly fell!

It's super effective! Hydreigon lost 73.8% of its health!

Hydreigon fainted!
You have 150 seconds to make your decision.

Go! Rotom-Wash!

That's ridiculous, but Hydreigon is Scarf/Timid. I didn't bother with damage calcs before attacking. Goodra survives at 6%.

Turn 15

Ulrich withdrew Goodra!

Ulrich sent out Ferrothorn!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Ferrothorn!

Rotom-Wash used Light Screen!
Light Screen raised your team's Special Defense!

The opposing Ferrothorn restored HP using its Leftovers!

He saved Goodra, but if I can prevent Rapid Spin, Goodra and Talonflame are gone.

Turn 16

Rotom-Wash used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective... The opposing Ferrothorn lost 8% of its health!

Rotom-Wash went back to McGrrr!

Go! Charizard!

The opposing Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
Charizard was seeded!

Charizard's health is sapped by Leech Seed!

He knew Charizard was coming, so Leech Seed was logical. I hold all the aces though.

Turn 17

Ulrich withdrew Ferrothorn!

Ulrich sent out Azumarill!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Azumarill!

Charizard used Roost!

He should have predicted Roost and used Stealth Rock. I'm never letting Charizard die to Flare Blitz recoil and Iron Barbs.

Turn 18
Charizard, come back!

Go! Rotom-Wash!

Turn 19
Rotom-Wash used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective... The opposing Ferrothorn lost 7.0% of its health!

Rotom-Wash went back to McGrrr!

Go! Charizard!

The opposing Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
Charizard was seeded!

Your team's Light Screen wore off!

He needed to switch to Excadrill this turn, and Rapid Spin.

Turn 20
The opposing Ferrothorn used Protect!
The opposing Ferrothorn protected itself!

Charizard used Roost!

Game over.

Turn 21

Ulrich withdrew Ferrothorn!

Ulrich sent out Goodra!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Goodra!

The opposing Goodra fainted!

Charizard used Flare Blitz!
But there was no target...

Turn 22
Charizard, come back!

Go! Aegislash!

The opposing Azumarill used Waterfall!
Aegislash lost 28.1% of its health!

Turn 23
Aegislash, come back!

Go! Charizard!

Ulrich sent out Excadrill!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Excadrill!
The opposing Excadrill breaks the mold!

Turn 24
It's super effective! The opposing Excadrill lost 38% of its health!
Charizard is damaged by recoil!

The opposing Excadrill fainted!

Pointed stones dug into the opposing Rotom-Heat!

Turn 25
The opposing Rotom-Heat lost 36% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Heat used Thunderbolt!
It's not very effective... Charizard lost 16.2% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Heat restored HP using its Leftovers!

Turn 26
Charizard used Roost!

It's not very effective... Charizard lost 12.5% of its health!

Turn 27

It's super effective! The opposing Ferrothorn lost 94% of its health!
Charizard is hurt by the opposing Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs!

The opposing Ferrothorn fainted!

Ulrich sent out Talonflame!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Talonflame!

The opposing Talonflame fainted!

Pointed stones dug into the opposing Rotom-Heat!

Turn 28
The opposing Rotom-Heat lost 20% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Heat fainted!

Turn 29
It's not very effective... The opposing Azumarill lost 12% of its health!

The opposing Azumarill fainted!

McGrrr won the battle!

I tried bulky dance for a while, but in pre bank, this really is the best option for Charizard X IMO. It just straight beats almost everything that's slower (not Gliscor though, unless it switches in to Will-O-Wisp).

Last edited:
The Mega Charizard Y checks and counters is horrible right now.

First off:

252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 333-393 (47.3 - 55.8%)

252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey in Sun: 459-540 (64.2 - 75.6%)

I realize you're nuking yourself in the process, but trading 1-for-1 isn't really countering. Granted, they counter the fully special set, but that's a distinction that really should be made if you're going to site them as counters.

And particularly so if you're going to list them as the only counters. That was the other issue I had with the checks and counters section. Right now, it looks like the only way to beat Mega Charizard Y is to carry a Chansey or a Blissey, which isn't exactly a viable option for all (many) teams. Where's Goodra?

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 102-122 (26.5 - 31.7%)
252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Goodra in Sun: 114-135 (29.6 - 35.1%)

VestLax?

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Snorlax: 150-178 (32.5 - 38.6%)
252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thick Fat Snorlax in Sun: 178-211 (38.6 - 45.7%)

Stealth Rock? Revenge killers?

Plenty to choose from, but only Chansey and Blissey?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)