OU Cofagrigus

[OVERVIEW]

Cofagrigus is a great offensive Trick Room sweeper. Thanks to Mummy, it can also act as an emergency check to dangerous threats such as Mega Medicham and Mega Pinsir, and Cofagrigus's presence alone deters High Jump Kick spam. Due to the lack of Dark- and Normal-types in OU, Cofagrigus can come in, start boosting with Nasty Plot, and attempt to sweep. Once boosted, Never-Ending Nightmare allows Cofagrigus to muscle past a strong target once, and the threat of the Z-Move puts pressure on the opponent to absorb it before it is used. However, Cofagrigus is rather weak before it sets up, and Tyranitar and Bisharp can tank its hits and Pursuit trap it. Also, Cofagrigus has no recovery option, so it will not be able to sweep if it is used as a defensive check prior in the match.

[SET]
name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Fighting
move 4: Trick Room
item: Ghostium Z
ability: Mummy
nature: Quiet
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball is Cofagrigus's only attack, but the lack of prominent Dark-types and Normal-types make it a very spammable move. Nasty Plot boosts Cofragrigus's Special Attack to high levels, making it very hard to switch into and easy to initiate a sweep. Will-O-Wisp cripples attackers that Cofagrigus can check such as Mega Medicham, Mawile, Garchomp, Zygarde, and Gyarados. Trick Room transforms Cofagrigus into the fastest Pokemon on the field, allowing it to clean up a team without enough bulk to take its hits. Hidden Power Fighting is an option over Will-O-Wisp as a way to hit Dark-types, as well as giving Cofagrigus perfect neutral coverage.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment makes Cofagrigus as bulky as possible for the ease of switching into attackers and setting up. The rest is placed into Special Attack so it can hit as hard as possible. A Quiet nature paired with 0 IVs in Speed ensures that it is the slowest Pokemon on the field. Ghostium Z gives Cofagrigus the ability to muscle past frail Dark-types at +2 such as Greninja, Ash-Greninja, and Weavile. It also assists with breaking through bulky Pokemon such as Assault Vest Tangrowth and Magearna. If you already have a Z-Move user, Leftovers is a fine option for passive recovery, although Ghostium Z is usually superior.

Usage Tips
========

It's best to preserve Cofagrigus until late-game to sweep, as it appreciates the opposition being weakened. However, if Cofagrigus has teammates that can take advantage of Trick Room, Cofagrigus can set it up and start boosting earlier in the match. If necessary, Cofagrigus can be used as an emergency check to powerful threats such as Mega Medicham and Mega Heracross thanks to Mummy nullifying their abilities. When Cofagrigus is already in battle but is unable to begin a sweep, simply use Will-O-Wisp to cripple and further wear down the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Cofagrigus fits best on offensive teams that appreciate its immense standalone sweeping potential and need it as an emergency check to specific threats such as Mega Medicham and Mega Mawhile. Thus, Cofagrigus greatly appreciates being paired with Spikes setters such as Greninja, Ash-Greninja, and Ferrothorn. Cofagrigus also values a Bisharp and Tyranitar check, as Bisharp is one of the few Dark-types that can KO it after prior damage regardless of whether or not Trick Room is up due to Sucker Punch, and Tyranitar is very bulky and takes negligible damage from +2 Never-Ending Nightmare. Keldeo, Terrakion, Magearna, and Mega Medicham are good options to take these Dark-types out. It's worth noting, however, that Mega Medicham is unable to safely switch into Dark-types. Dugtrio is a decent partner, as it traps and eliminates Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Chansey. Partners such as Mega Mawile, Magearna, Azumarill, and Crawdaunt appreciate Trick Room, so they worth considering, as Cofagrigus sets up Trick Room rather reliably.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set is plausible, as Cofagrigus has tools to pull it off. If one wishes to use such a set, an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Bold Nature is optimal with a moveset of Hex, Pain Split , Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic Spikes. Haze is also an option on this set to check boosting attackers.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Normal-types**: Aside from burning them with Will-O-Wisp, Cofagrigus lacks a way to get through Normal-types such as Chansey and Smeargle. Both can cripple it with Toxic and Spore, respectively.

**Dark-types**: Although Cofagrigus can break through most of them with +2 Never-Ending Nightmare, Bisharp, Weavile, and Tyranitar are big threats. Bisharp has access to powerful priority in Sucker Punch to stop Cofagrigus even in Trick Room, and Tyranitar is bulky enough to take +2 Never-Ending Nightmare. They must, however, watch out for Will-O-Wisp.

**Taunt**: Cofagrigus is completely shut down by Taunt. Without access to Nasty Plot, Trick Room, and Will-O-Wisp, it's rendered useless bar relatively weak Shadow Balls.

**Unaware Users**: Although Cofagrigus can muscle past physically defensive Unaware Clefable, more specially defensive variants can survive Shadow Ball followed by Never-Ending Nightmare. However, Shadow Ball boasts a chance to lower the foe's Special Defense, so specially defensive Clefable could lose one-on-one.

Last edited:
alright so the usage tips are kinda bare because i can't really elaborate on how to use it since (from my experience) you literally use it as a switch in to some outrageous stuff and then lategame you click nasty plot, click trick room, and go from there. psure there is more i could add though

team options are kinda bare to you usually just pair it with spikes and pack a dark check or two and you should be good. some people like to pair it with other slow mons so i mentioned that but i see cof as a stand alone tr mon really.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not QC.

Mention Dugtrio in team options since it can trap Chansey, T-tar, and Bisharp

Add Stealth Rock users to team options to compliment the spikes users, all hazards are really important to this set since it'll mostly be relying on neutral hits to clean up

Could possibly mention a bulkier spread in OO: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104+ SpA, lets you eat 2 meteor mashes from Mega Metagross after SR - that's the one njnp uses at least
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Cofagrigus: 135-159 (42.3 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Cofagrigus: 103-123 (32.2 - 38.5%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO

Remove mention of Chansey's Seismic Toss in Checks and Counters since Cofag is immune

Mention Unaware users in Checks and Counters - Clef and Pyukumuku can take Shadow Ball into Z-Shadow Ball (Quag can't take z-shadow ball if hazards are up)

Last edited:

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Not QC.

Imo you could mention HP Fighting in Moves or OO , because it breaks past Pokemon like Gren with a bit of chip before clicking NP, (or using a Z Move ) which can be somewhat easily achieved since you often pair Cofagrigus with Spikes, since from my experience keeping a Z Move in hand for other stuff is always cool since Cofag is p weak, esp if he switches Gren directly in preventing you from getting a NP, while HP Fighting still helps with hitting Darks , and damaging normal types can be cool too (however it's still not breaking past mons like chansey) , though it does have the drawbacks that it isn't something like Wisp which can cripple stuff even without attacking, and general utility, which also avoids Sucker.

Last edited:
Not QC.

Mention Dugtrio in team options since it can trap Chansey, T-tar, and Bisharp

Add Stealth Rock users to team options to compliment the spikes users, all hazards are really important to this set since it'll mostly be relying on neutral hits to clean up

Could possibly mention a bulkier spread in OO: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104+ SpA, lets you eat 2 meteor mashes from Mega Metagross after SR - that's the one njnp uses at least
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Cofagrigus: 135-159 (42.3 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Cofagrigus: 103-123 (32.2 - 38.5%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO

Remove mention of Chansey's Seismic Toss in Checks and Counters since Cofag is immune

Mention Unaware users in Checks and Counters - Clef and Pyukumuku can take Shadow Ball into Z-Shadow Ball (Quag can't take z-shadow ball if hazards are up)

before i mention the metagross bit i'll wait and see how the suspect turns out
mentioned dug
not gonna do the stealth rock mention because it's an undisputed fact that stealth rock is mandatory on any team while spikes are very good, but not mandatory at all, hence the mention.
Not QC.

Imo you could mention HP Fighting in Moves or OO , because it breaks past Pokemon like Gren with a bit of chip before clicking NP, (or using a Z Move ) which can be somewhat easily achieved since you often pair Cofagrigus with Spikes, since from my experience keeping a Z Move in hand for other stuff is always cool since Cofag is p weak, esp if he switches Gren directly in preventing you from getting a NP, while HP Fighting still helps with hitting Darks , and damaging normal types can be cool too (however it's still not breaking past mons like chansey) , though it does have the drawbacks that it isn't something like Wisp which can cripple stuff even without attacking, and general utility, which also avoids Sucker.
wisp is a lot more useful than hp fight in the long run since you actually cripple sharp so you can nuke it and just spreading burns in general is such good support overall. i see your point but qc might have a differing perspective on it.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mention HP Fighting in set details over Wisp as an option to smack around Dark-types. Mention Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion as good partners to punish Dark-types like Weavile, Bish, T-tar, etc.

QC 1/3

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When you mention the defensive set in OO, it might be worth giving a specific mention to how the spread eases the matchup vs. Mega Medi/Mawile more than the listed set; while it can overwrite their Huge/Pure Power with the offensive spread, it still can't really switch into Play Rough from the latter (Ghostium sets take 97.3% minimum switching in assuming Ada Maw), and it can only switch into jolly MMedi's ZHB once (most players aren't going to risk a HJK while there is still the threat of this coming in). When you mention Medi in usage tips, it's probably worth mentioning how this deterrent is there as long as it is alive and how that is also one of the draws of keeping it reasonably healthy until it is needed.

In usage tips, mention that TR is generally more effective vs. offensive teams and that it often isn't worth it vs. more defensively oriented squads due to their slow nature meaning that it will often be worth preserving teammates' speed tiers.

Maybe it's just me (don't do anything here just 'cause of me), but I really don't like Lefties on this thing. When I use NP+TR Cofag I generally make an effort to ensure that it is my sole Z move user just because the potency of a Ghost-type nuke move is the main appeal of it over other OTR users imo, and I feel like it wastes a lot of potential by forgoing it.

Remove lefties from the slash and keep it mentioned in set details. The only reason to run Cofagrigus is to use Ghostium, if it's not being used something else should be used instead.

2/3

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You can slash Hidden Power Fighting in the set IMO. Tyranitar and Weavile being used a lot more sucks in a way, so I feel the justification is there. I will say to keep WoW slashed first.

Knock Blissey from C&C since it doesnt exist anymore.

Add Weavile to C&C for Dark-types. It may not threaten with Knock Off in particular, but Pursuit can be really annoying if Cofagrigus is chipped at.

Also remove Pyukumuku.

3/3

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was inquired by someone to give this a second look. First off we really need to go over the Overview:
Cofagrigus boasts a very useful ability in Mummy, which overrides the ability of an enemy that has made contact with Cofagrigus. This is especially useful for checking dangerous threats such as Mega Medicham, Mega Mawile, Mega Heracross, Mega Pinsir with its outstanding bulk. Blessed with a great typing in Ghost, Cofagrigus' STAB attack is incredibly hard to switch into when boosted. The Ghost-typing also deters Mega Medicham from spamming High Jump Kick, which is a huge plus for any team. However, Cofagrigus has very poor Speed, which guarantees it will most likely take a hit before doing anything. It's not very strong off the bat, requiring a boost and the opposition to be weakened before attempting a sweep. Finally, while it is bulky, it doesn't have the room to run a recovery option, so it's prone to being worn down pretty quickly if it's utilized as a switch-in before it can actually sweep.
Looking at this, I can conclude a few things:

- It's defensive.
- STAB Attack is hard to switch into when boosted.
- Poor Speed
- Requires a boost.
- 4 MSS.

There are a few problems with this:

- The Overview doesn't elaborate on the Pokémon's role- standalone Trick Room sweeper able to check dangerous physical threats.
- The Speed flaw is awkward considering Trick Room is what makes it good.
- Tyranitar being more common is a pretty big flaw against it too.

Overall I would recommend that the Overview be re-written and focus more on what Cofagrigus does, what its purpose is, its flaws expounded a little bit, etc. Also explain the use of the Z Move i.e. when to use it.

Team Options and Set Details should mention the type of teams Cofagrigus should be on and, while I admire the focus on taking out Tyranitar, also mention Pokemon that may appreciate Cofagrigus's support as well. I would also stress that, more often than not, this is a standalone Trick Room Pokemon - as in no other Trick Room Pokemon normally coincide alongside it.

Flesh these out, and then tag me and I'll give the okay signal for GP.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ramses

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]
Cofagrigus is an exemplary Trick Room sweeper that requires very little support to be utterly devastating. Blessed with a great typing in Ghost, Cofagrigus' STAB attack is incredibly hard to switch into when boosted by Nasty Plot and more often than not, it will be utilizing Ghostium Z, which bestows it with a one time nuke to blow past its stubborn switch-ins. It also boasts a very useful ability in Mummy, which overrides the ability of an enemy that has made contact with Cofagrigus. This is especially useful for checking dangerous threats such as Mega Medicham, Mega Mawile, Mega Heracross, Mega Pinsir with its outstanding bulk. The Ghost-typing also deters Mega Medicham from spamming High Jump Kick, which is a huge plus for any team. However, Cofagrigus is not very strong off the bat, requiring a boost and the opposition to be weakened before attempting a sweep. The growing popularity of Tyranitar and Weavile also present themselves as obstacles for it as both can trap it with Pursuit, while the former can sponge hits from it easily. Finally, while it is bulky, it doesn't have the room to run a recovery option, so it's prone to being worn down pretty quickly if it's utilized as a switch-in before it can actually sweep.

Cofagrigus is a great offensive Trick Room sweeper. Thanks to Mummy, it can also act as an emergency check to dangerous threats such as Mega Medicham or Mega Pinsir, and Cofagrigus's presence alone deters High Jump Kick spam. Due to the lack of Dark- and Normal-types in OU, Cofagrigus can come in, start boosting with Nasty Plot, and attempt to sweep. Once boosted by Nasty Plot, Never-Ending Nightmare allows Cofagrigus to muscle past a strong target once, and the threat of the Z-Move puts pressure on the opponent to absorb it before it is used. However, Cofagrigus is rather weak before it sets up, and Tyranitar and Bisharp can tank its hits and Pursuit trap it. Also, Cofagrigus has no recovery option, so it will not be able to sweep if it is used as a defense check prior in the match.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball is Cofagrigus's only attack, but the lack of prominent Dark-types and Normal-types make it a very spammable move. Nasty Plot boosts its Cofragrigus's Special Attack to high levels, making it very hard to switch into and easy to initiate a sweep. Will-O-Wisp cripples attackers that Cofagrigus can check such as Mega Medicham, Mawile, Garchomp, Zygarde, and Gyarados. Trick Room turns the tide of battle by making use of Cofagrigus's low Speed and usually transforms it Cofagrigus into the fastest Pokemon on the field, allowing it to clean up a team without enough bulk to take its hits. Hidden Power Fighting is an option over Will-O-Wisp as a way to hit Dark-types, as well as giving Cofagrigus perfect neutral coverage.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment makes Cofagrigus as bulky as possible for ease of switching into attackers and setting up. The rest is placed into Special Attack so it can hit as hard as possible. A Quiet nature paired with 0 IVs in Speed ensures that it is the slowest Pokemon on the field. Ghostium Z bestows gives Cofagrigus with a one time nuke the ability to muscle past frail Dark-types at +2 such as Greninja, Ash-Greninja, and Weavile. It also assists with breaking through bulky Pokemon such as Assault Vest Tangrowth and Magearna. If you already have a Z-Move user Leftovers is a fine option for passive recovery, although Ghostium Z is usually superior.

Usage Tips
========

It's best to preserve Cofagrigus until late-game to sweep, as it appreciates the opposition being weakened. However, if Cofagrigus has teammates that can take advantage of Trick Room, Cofagrigus can set it up and start boosting earlier in the match. If necessary, Cofagrigus can be used as an emergency check to powerful threats such as Mega Medicham and Mega Heracross thanks to Mummy nullifying their abilities. When Cofagrigus is already in battle but is unable to begin a sweep, simply use It should also use Will-O-Wisp liberally to cripple and further wear down the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Cofagrigus fits best on offensive teams that appreciate its defensive capabilities to check very dangerous threats as well as its immense standalone sweeping potential, (RC) and need it as an emergency check to specific threats such as Mega Medicham and Mega Mawhile. thus Cofagrigus would greatly appreciates being paired with Spikes setters such as Greninja, Ash-Greninja, and Ferrothorn. Cofagrigus also values a Bisharp and Tyranitar check as Bisharp is one of the few Dark-types that can KO it after prior damage regardless of whether or not Trick Room is up due to Sucker Punch. Tyranitar is very bulky and takes negligible damage from a +2 Never-Ending Nightmare. So teammates able to take on Dark-types such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Magearnam, and Mega Medicham are good options to take these Dark-types out. It's worth noting, however, that Mega Medicham is unable to safely switch into Dark-types. Dugtrio is a decent partner as it traps and eliminates Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Chansey, as well as the uncommon Blissey. Partners such as Mega Mawile, Magearna, Azumarill, and Crawdaunt appreciate Trick Room, so they worth considering as Cofagrigus sets up Trick Room rather reliably.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set is plausible as Cofagrigus has tools to pull it off. What is any reason to use this set? "To safely check Medicham, etc"? If one wishes to use such a set an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Bold Nature is optimal with a moveset of Hex, Pain Split , Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic Spikes. Haze is also on option on this set to check boosting attackers.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Normal-types**: Aside from burning them with Will-O-Wisp, Cofagrigus lacks a way to get through Normal-types such as Chansey and Smeargle. Both can cripple it with Toxic or Spore respectively.

**Dark-types**: Although Cofagrigus can break through most of them with a +2 Never-Ending Nightmare, Bisharp, Weavile, and Tyranitar are big threats. (period) as Bisharp has access to powerful priority in Sucker Punch to stop Cofagrigus even in Trick Room, (AC) and Tyranitar is exceptionally bulky enough to take a +2 Never-Ending Nightmare, tanking the Never-ending Nightmare with the utmost ease. They must, however, beware watch out for Will-O-Wisp.

**Taunt**: Cofagrigus is completely shut down by Taunt. Without access to Nasty Plot, Trick Room, and Will-O-Wisp it's rendered useless bar relatively weak Shadow Balls.

**Unaware Users**: Although Cofagrigus can muscle past physically defensive Unaware Clefable, more specially defensive inclined variants can survive Shadow Ball followed by a Never-Ending Nightmare. However, Shadow Ball boasts a chance to lower the foe's Special Defense, so Clefable could lose one-on-one.1

1/2

The overview is heavily edited; I worked with CM to make it as direct and concise as possible while keeping the same ideas as you had.

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Just be sure to update the title next time; it's otherwise unclear if the first check was implemented

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Cofagrigus is a great offensive Trick Room sweeper. Thanks to Mummy, it can also act as an emergency check to dangerous threats such as Mega Medicham or and Mega Pinsir, and Cofagrigus's presence alone deters High Jump Kick spam. Due to the lack of Dark- and Normal-types in OU, Cofagrigus can come in, start boosting with Nasty Plot, and attempt to sweep. Once boosted by Nasty Plot, Never-Ending Nightmare allows Cofagrigus to muscle past a strong target once, and the threat of the Z-Move puts pressure on the opponent to absorb it before it is used. However, Cofagrigus is rather weak before it sets up, and Tyranitar and Bisharp can tank its hits and Pursuit trap it. Also, Cofagrigus has no recovery option, so it will not be able to sweep if it is used as a defense defensive check prior in the match.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball is Cofagrigus's only attack, but the lack of prominent Dark-types and Normal-types make it a very spammable move. Nasty Plot boosts Cofragrigus's Special Attack to high levels, making it very hard to switch into and easy to initiate a sweep. Will-O-Wisp cripples attackers that Cofagrigus can check such as Mega Medicham, Mawile, Garchomp, Zygarde, and Gyarados. Trick Room transforms Cofagrigus into the fastest Pokemon on the field, allowing it to clean up a team without enough bulk to take its hits. Hidden Power Fighting is an option over Will-O-Wisp as a way to hit Dark-types, as well as giving Cofagrigus perfect neutral coverage.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment makes Cofagrigus as bulky as possible for the ease of switching into attackers and setting up. The rest is placed into Special Attack so it can hit as hard as possible. A Quiet nature paired with 0 IVs in Speed ensures that it is the slowest Pokemon on the field. Ghostium Z gives Cofagrigus the ability to muscle past frail Dark-types at +2 such as Greninja, Ash-Greninja, and Weavile. It also assists with breaking through bulky Pokemon such as Assault Vest Tangrowth and Magearna. If you already have a Z-Move user,(AC) Leftovers is a fine option for passive recovery, although Ghostium Z is usually superior.

Usage Tips
========

It's best to preserve Cofagrigus until late-game to sweep, as it appreciates the opposition being weakened. However, if Cofagrigus has teammates that can take advantage of Trick Room, Cofagrigus can set it up and start boosting earlier in the match. If necessary, Cofagrigus can be used as an emergency check to powerful threats such as Mega Medicham and Mega Heracross thanks to Mummy nullifying their abilities. When Cofagrigus is already in battle but is unable to begin a sweep, simply use Will-O-Wisp to cripple and further wear down the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Cofagrigus fits best on offensive teams that appreciate its immense standalone sweeping potential and need it as an emergency check to specific threats such as Mega Medicham and Mega Mawhile. Thus,(AC) Cofagrigus greatly appreciates being paired with Spikes setters such as Greninja, Ash-Greninja, and Ferrothorn. Cofagrigus also values a Bisharp and Tyranitar check,(AC) as Bisharp is one of the few Dark-types that can KO it after prior damage regardless of whether or not Trick Room is up due to Sucker Punch,(AC) and.(period) Tyranitar is very bulky and takes negligible damage from a +2 Never-Ending Nightmare. Keldeo, Terrakion, Magearnam Magearna, and Mega Medicham are good options to take these Dark-types out. It's worth noting, however, that Mega Medicham is unable to safely switch into Dark-types. Dugtrio is a decent partner,(AC) as it traps and eliminates Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Chansey. Partners such as Mega Mawile, Magearna, Azumarill, and Crawdaunt appreciate Trick Room, so they worth considering,(AC) as Cofagrigus sets up Trick Room rather reliably.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A defensive set is plausible,(AC) as Cofagrigus has tools to pull it off. If one wishes to use such a set,(AC) an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Bold Nature is optimal with a moveset of Hex, Pain Split , Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic Spikes. Haze is also on an option on this set to check boosting attackers.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Normal-types**: Aside from burning them with Will-O-Wisp, Cofagrigus lacks a way to get through Normal-types such as Chansey and Smeargle. Both can cripple it with Toxic or and Spore,(AC) respectively.

**Dark-types**: Although Cofagrigus can break through most of them with a +2 Never-Ending Nightmare, Bisharp, Weavile, and Tyranitar are big threats. Bisharp has access to powerful priority in Sucker Punch to stop Cofagrigus even in Trick Room, (AC) (remove the "(AC)") and Tyranitar is bulky enough to take a +2 Never-Ending Nightmare. They must, however, watch out for Will-O-Wisp.

**Taunt**: Cofagrigus is completely shut down by Taunt. Without access to Nasty Plot, Trick Room, and Will-O-Wisp,(AC) it's rendered useless bar relatively weak Shadow Balls.

**Unaware Users**: Although Cofagrigus can muscle past physically defensive Unaware Clefable, more specially defensive variants can survive Shadow Ball followed by a Never-Ending Nightmare. However, Shadow Ball boasts a chance to lower the foe's Special Defense, so Clefable (specially defensive? You mentioned how Cofag beats physically defensive Clef, so unless this is specially defensive Unaware, I don't see why this should be here) could lose one-on-one.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)