RMT Chill TR Hybrid

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
( Listen to this as you read )
Yo It's so great to be back on Smogon alive well and loving life. I'm honestly so happy I could be here and share this team with you folks. It's truly an honor to be acquainted with everyone. I love you guys, I love Smogon, I love Showdown, and I love this community. I appreciate everything you guys have done not just me but everyone else. My life is truly touched by what has happened on both these sites. Now enough of my blabbing. Without further ado let's gets on with the RMT!

The Process

Ight so I got a fantastic Idea on the night of May 9 2017. I decided I'd use a Pokemon that I'd never used before. I chose the ever alluring Magearna for reasons that I could not understand. I still did not know what would come of my decision to choose this Magearna so I just rolled with it.

After playing around with a Magearna moveset I started to actually take a look at it's stats. It was there and then I decided to use Trick Room. I knew exactly what I must do. I threw on Fidgit and together they made the ultimate pair.

Next I wanted a solid lead Pokemon with access to spikes. I first took a nice long look at our dear friend Syclant and concluded I was a little too spoiled and went for the the legendary lead Protean Greninja. Greninja just fit so well with these 2 other pokemon and I was beginning to feel a connection...

I knew that with Trick Room being used I would need another Pokemon to fit the mechanic. The obvious choice here was Mega Mawile. She picks up kills the others are not able to. She is incredible and holds an extremely special place on this team that no other Pokemon can fill.

My team was looking a bit short on walls and hazards. I was caught in an inner war between using Tangrowth to wall and then Tomohawk to set rocks. It was a struggle that lasted all but 15 minutes. I had made my mind up on Pyroak, a Gen7 favorite. It rocks and walls, perfect combo.

The hardest part of this team was not being able to run Smack Down Landorus-Therian. It just simply did not fit as my revenge killer. It was extremely hard to get over and because of this I created a few variations of this team. Instead of Landorus-Therian I used Scarf Garchomp simply because it is the next most fun to use.

Temporal Life (Magearna) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

DJ Gaia (Fidgit) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Persistent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- U-turn

Rain Man (Greninja) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Extrasensory
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Ms. Universe (Mawile-Mega) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

Mother Earth (Pyroak) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

The Star (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Rock Slide

The Team

Quiet Nature

Fleur Cannon

Volt Switch

Flash Cannon

Hidden Power [Fire]

I had never actually used Magarena until this team and I must say I am very impressed. Twinkle Tackle is so great on it because it gets the Special Attack boost from Soul-Heart and it negates the drop from Fleur Cannon. All of Magearna's STAB hits hard and this makes it an incredible Pokemon to use in Trick Room. Volt Switch helps Magearna pivot into a faster mon on the last turn of Trick Room or just in general. If you really want to it is also viable to remove Volt Switch and replace it with Trick Room just in case Fidgit dies. HP Fire is used for pesky Scizor and Ferrothorn that try to ruin Magearna's fun. Although I should mention Twinkle Tackle does a considerable amount of damage to Mega Scizor which makes it all the more fun to use. I truly love this Pokemon.

Quiet Nature

Trick Room

Earth Power

Sludge Bomb

U-turn

With Fidgit's ability Persistent it is just the obvious choice on a Trick Room team as the only setter. I used the Standard Fidgit set but I played around with the nature to reduce speed. I also played around with the item slot and was quite disappointed to find that Earth Plate did not make Fidgit a Ground Lord like it did to Landorus-Therian. I got sad and went with Leftovers. Fidgit is just really a nice Pokemon in today's CAP metagame as it checks some fairies and can switch into Electric attacks. It's always a nice Pokemon to have around on the team.

Timid Nature

Extrasensory

Spikes

Ice Beam

Hydro Pump

Spikes Protean Greninja is probably the best lead the game of Pokemon will ever see. I love this thing with all my heart. It not only throws up Spike/s and helps out the team but it also has got great Special Attack and Speed to hit hard with. Greninja loves predicting switches and punishing Pokemon when they misinterpret the set. It's Unfortunate though that Greninja Is usually my first choice when it comes to sacking a Pokemon.

Adamant Nature

Play Rough

Sucker Punch

Thunder Punch

Fire Fang

Mega Mawile is the realest it gets with an Attack stat of 678. This more than makes up for its lackluster defenses and speed. Who gives a cuss about speed though this is a Trick Room team. Play Rough hits hard as rocks serving as Mawile's only STAB move but that's okay. Sucker Punch straight up wins games when Trick Room is gone. Thunder Fang takes care of the birds and Fire Fang takes care of the Ferrothorns and the Scizors. This Pokemon works extremely well with Trick Room as seen several times on the ladder.

Mother Earth (Pyroak) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
Calm Nature

Synthesis

Giga Drain

Lava Plume

Stealth Rock

Pyroak has always been one of those CAPs that I kind of overlooked until Gen7. Pyroak makes for a great pivot switching into a bunch of different stuff nothing else really wants to take. It has Synthesis and Giga Drain for recovery and Lava Plume for opposing Physical attackers looking to get crippled. The most important aspect is Stealth Rock however, as it makes it easier for Magearna and Mawile to pick up OHKOs. Chip damage is truly key and it's basically the leading factor in why I didn't pick Tangrowth.

Nova Star (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature

Earthquake

Outrage

Fire Fang

Rock Slide

Scarf Garchomp, to me at least, is just a really fun Pokemon to use. Everyone I've ever met just assumes it is Tank Chomp and calls my Scarf bluff and then they get a Pokemon taken away. Earthquake and Outrage hit hard as Garchomp's STAB moves. Fire Fang was really just a move that I put on there because I hate being walled by Steel and Grass types. Rock Slide is for those unlucky Charizards that stay in or any other flying type for that matter. With Garchomp's Scarf in claw thing it can really do some serious damage.

Threat List

Mamoswine is probably the scariest thing this team can face. Ice shard devastates Garchomp and Its STAB Earthquakes aren't really that healthy ether considering I have 3 Pokemon weak to ground with 0 Ground Immune Pokemon. In fact everything this pokemon runs is extremely bad news. Just looking at it makes me shudder.

Charizard X isn't really something my team can take lightly. Because it is a late game sweeper I may not be able to possess the Pokemon necessary (namely Garchomp) to end this monster when it is at +1. The best I really hope for is a sick Sucker Punch kill or a clutch Trick Room set up.

Scarf Landorus-Therian is so some scary stuff. Because it is so fast my team has a hard time taking it out. I've faced this thing a few times and I've beaten it the same way each time but it requires sacking a mon. It's just really a pain to deal with and taking this thing out can end up hurting me late game.

Azumarill (especially Band) has a really good time with my team. Due to its priority with Aqua Jet it can cause a lot of chip damage that isn't really the most appreciated. It not only forces switches but it is almost always guaranteed at least one KO if it comes in successfully.

Variation:
Quiet Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Trick Room
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Stealth Rock

Timid Nature
- Extrasensory
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

Terra (Tangrowth) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Cloud King (Landorus-Therian) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance

Conclusion
This team made me finally gain some respect for Trick Room. Before I treated it like a gimmick and now I feel like it's an actual viable thing. I had a lot of fun making and playing with this team. The variation is honestly so much fun to play with. I hope you guys have as much fun as I did. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hey BP I really like the concept of this semi TR team. I think it has potential to be very potent as you can adapt your wincon very easily with this team.

I think that you could use with a second TR setter as Magearna can then support itself and Mawille if fidgit passes or at least allow magearna to sweep on its own. This will allow you to keep momentum in the game and allow for late game sweeps where necessary. Smogon's Offensive Trick Room set is more than applicable here, this set runs Trick Room/Fleur Cannon/Flash Cannon/Focus Blast or Aura Sphere with Fairium Z.

TR struggles with taunt users like Tapu Fini and currently your team doesn't have a really efficient way of dealing with it, running Gunk Shot > Hydro Pump will help with Tapu Fini, this is especially effective as this makes fini's job of removing your spikes harder. Gunk Shot also allows your greninja to not be setup fodder for Z Belly Drum azumaril which currently 6-0's your team.

Mawille would appreciate Swords Dance to really pressure teams once Trick Room is up, I'd probably run Swords Dance > Thunder Fang as fire fang allows you to still pressure ferrothorn and scizor well. As well as pressuring teams once Trick Room is up, offensive teams will fall to a +2 sucker punch late game. Also what are you speed EVs for?

Garchomp appreciates Fire Blast > Fire fang as it hits skarmory, scizor and cawmodore notably harder, however this then makes you lose out on reliability and hitting celesteela. Dragon Claw is also a good option as it's a safer dragon move to be locked into, and it's affordable as you have 2 steel type lures in Mawille and Magearna.

Pyroak would prefer Earth Power > Giga Drain as this prevents Charizard X from setting up on you as well as hits Heatran and Mollux super effectively, both of which your team doesn't handle particularly well. Dropping Giga Drain makes you miss out on Tapu Fini, however if you change Greninja to Gunk Shot this won't be much of a problem. Running Stealth Rocks on Fidgit > Sludge bomb will allow you to drop Stealth Rock on Pyroak and opt for either Giga Drain, Toxic or Will-o-Wisp. Both status moves allow you to handle Zygarde which also 6-0's you.

Lastly your fidgit will appreciate max speed for abusing it's utility despite Trick Room being negative priority, this also allows you to get a slow u-turn off a potential threats giving you the initiative once Trick Room is set. Investing in Special Attack isn't really that efficient as you're not really going to be attacking much with Fidgit. Shucca Berry will allow you to set up Trick Room on any ground types, and revenge with your Trick Room Abusers.

I hope at least 1 thing from my feedback was useful to you.

DrapionSwing Bookmarks the youtube link for chilling later.

Last edited:
Reactions: BP

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Nice team, good job! I am going to echo DrapionSwings sentiments and also suggest fitting in taunt over extrasensory on Greninja.

Reasoning is as follows: Taunt capitalizes upon hazard lead Greninja's utility + speed very well and provides decent synergy to the team. Extrasensory is not a bad move here but I feel like shutting down opposing hazard leads and taunt leads could provide more utility in the long run. I think Scarf Garchomp manhandles mostly all of the threats Extrasensory is used for targeting bar Tomohawk which gets disposed by Magearna. Without proper hazard removal this team might struggle to send out Pyroak with enough pressure applied. Keeping rocks off your side will be great at allowing Pyroak more longevity to sponge those Earthquakes and fish for burns.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)