Battle Spot Charizard Anti Meta team

hello- this is my FWG core anti meta team. My main goal is to be able to smash Mega Khan, Trick Room, and Dark Void.

It works great for those three teams but I can't seem to get it to work for prankster teams. I just got beat twice in a row by teams relying on Prankster. Meowstic mainly gives me a problem (T-Wave/Swagger).

maybe I should have used Cresselia against the Meowstic but, who knows..

Anyways here's the team. Any advice would be amazing.

Amoongus @Eject Button

Regenerator

Sassy

252 HP
204 SpD
48 Def
4 Spe

Giga Drain
Spore
Rage Powder
Protect

Giga Drain is part of the FWG core. Amoonguss main role is redirection. He keeps opponents off of Charizard and Sylveon while they set up. The eject button is mainly for getting intimidates off safely without switching in to damage. It's also great for switching into checks and counters of Charizard. Another way it helps is shrugging off damage with Amoonguss ability. Rage Powder is the redirection. Spore is for spreading Status.

The EV spread is for Bulk.
Cresselia Lum Berry

Levitate

Sassy

244 HP
108 Def
156 SpD

Psychic
Icy Wind
Trick Room
Safeguard

Cresselias role is speed control. It's EVs are invested in bulk to hold off throughout the match. Even super effective hits barely knock it halfway down. Icy wind keeps checks of Charizard and Landorus speed down. Trick Room undoes enemies Trick Rooms, because speed control is important on this team. The Lum berry is to counter dark Void and get the Safeguard up to protect from future Dark avoids or Statuses.

Rotom-Wash Sitrus Berry

Levitate

Modest

252 HP
44 Def
60 SpA
148 SpD
4 Spe

Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Will-O-Wisp
Protect

Rotom is a check to Rock and water types who threaten Charizard. Tyranitar, gastrodon, Blastoise, Landorus, Aerodactly, etc. Hydro Pump gets STAB and Thunderbolt is for coverage. Will o Miss is for Physical threats, and walls like Ferrothorn. Levitate is great for two team mates who both have Earthquake.

Sylveon Leftovers

Pixilate

Modest

Hyper Voice
Wish
Calm mind
Protect

252 HP
44 Def
206 SpA
4 SpD
4 Spe

Sylveon is a special attacker. Charizard and Landorus are Physical and Sylveon is good for Coverage reasons. Her EVs are for Bulk and SpA. Leftovers and wish are for sustain. Hyper Voice gets STAB with Pixilate and a boost. Plus it gets spread damage and hits behind subs. I think it works better than Moonblast.

Landorus-Therain Focus sash

Intimidate

Adamant

80 HP
252 Atk
176 Spe

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Knock Off
U-Turn

Landorus is the second sweeper on the team. Landorus is fragile to Ice Attacks. That's why I've provided him with Bulky EVs and a Focus Sash just in case. I've thought about Life Orb and the berry that weakens Ice Attacks, but Focus Sash has seemed like the best option. Earthquake is a great STAB, and gets spread damage. Cresselia and Rotom are great partners because Earthquake doesn't affect them. Rock Slide is great for coverage and Flinches. Knock off is great for the current Meta. Items can be game changing. Especially focus Sash, Sitrus Berries, Life Orbs, etc.. that's where Knock Off comes in especially, and great coverage for Ghosts and Psychic Types. U turn is for combos with Amoonguss' eject button and Intimidate. Also to get out of sticky situations.

Mega Charizard X Charizardite-X

Tough Claws

Adamant

4 HP
252 Atk
252 Spe

Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

Charizard is the heart of the team and the FWG core. I chose earthquake over protect for coverage on rock types. Dragon dance is great because Amoonguss has redirection. Dragon claw gets STAB and a boost from Tough Claws. Flare Blitz is just a powerful Fire Attack. It is great to get you out of a sticky situation if you can take some extra damage.

There are a few different ways to play this team, depending on the opponents team and strategy.

Mega-Khan/Other Physical Sweep relying teams- The main goal against these kinds of teams is to use intimidate and keep speed control. Usually start with Landorus & Cresselia. Landorus will U turn into Amoonguss. If Amoonguss takes a hit- eject button will switch back into Landorus putting another Intimidate off, while Cresselia starts using Icy Wind, or Safeguard (if Status is a threat). Mega Char-X and Amoonguss is a great combo as well. Amoonguss can Rage Powder and Charizard can get the Dragon Dance off. Then Amoonguss Eject button will pull another threat in, probably Landorus as he can get an Intimidate off on the Physical Mon.

Dark Void relying teams- This one is pretty easy to get a grip on. I still usually get one Mon put to sleep, but it's not too big of an issue. Cresselia will use Safeguard. If Dark Void doesn't miss, Cresselia gets woken up by the Lum berry, and gets the Safeguard off. One problem is Fake Out users. If I suspect a Fake Out user is coming in on first turn I will put out two different mons, and swap into Cresselia or something of the like. It's not too hard to get around. I'd love to get my own faster Fake Out user to block a Smeargle Fake Out and get the Safeguard off. If I could find somewhere to fit it in, the team would get even better.

I've been trying to find a Pokémon to switch Sylveon out with.. I just don't know who would fit. I realize I don't necessarily need 3 sweepers, but I feel like Landorus and Charizard need some sort of Calm Mind sweeper along with them because they're both Physical, and a Special Sweeper would be great in case my Physical Mons could get walled.

Trick Room teams are easy to get around. I usually just use Trick Room to counter it on the same turn that the Opponent uses Trick Room. Simple Enough.

Anyways- any help comes greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Hey Sylveon Tank, that's nice team that you got there. However, there is definitely room for improvements in this team. Nevertheless, I will try to maintain the idea/framework behind this team as much as possible. I hope they'll be some help to you!

First of all, I recommend that you use Talonflame instead of Mega Charizard-X. (I know I know...) However, the truth is that Talonflame's Life Orb - boosted Flare Blitz is stronger and faster than (Jolly) Mega Charizard-X's Flare Blitz. In addition, Talonflame provides a nice priority through Brave Bird and Tailwind, a possible Icy Wind replacement. Yet, if you're still concerned about Smeargle's Dark Void, you can always put Taunt on Talonflame, too. If this is the case, then I recommend that you replace your Sylveon (as you intended) with Mega Kangaskhan; this will ensure Talonflame's safety. Of course, Mega Kangaskhan is a check to Smeargle as well.

Consider the factors above, you really don't need Cresselia. Instead, you could make greater use of Aegislash. Besides giving your team the remaining coverage that it needs, it also fills in the roles of a reliable Wide Guard user and a pivot; it is not weak to Rock, Ice, Psychic, Fighting, and Flying type moves as some of your other mons are. Now, I really don't understand the investment of your EVs; it seems random and does not seem to survive/check specific threats, so for the time being, I'll provide standard as well as my own EV sets below.

Furthermore, I recommend that your Amoonguss use Rock Helmet, not Eject Button, as you certainly would want to Spore the opposing team whenever you have the chance; Eject Button stops you from such valuable opportunities. (Note that this Amoonguss set survives Psychic from Mega Gardevoir which is more relevant to its threats anyways.) Lastly, Landorus is better off using Choice Scarf (for speed) or Assault Vest (for special defensive bulk). You shouldn't worry too much about it being OHKO'ed since you already have two reliable pivots (Aegislash and Rotom-Wash) in store.

Well, I hope my advise helps you in areas where you truly need it. Here is a importable for you to try in Pokemon Showdown simulator before you actually train them in-game. HF!

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Fake Out

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Taunt / Tailwind
- Protect

Last edited:
Hey Sylveon Tank, that's nice team that you got there. However, there is definitely room for improvements in this team. Nevertheless, I will try to maintain the idea/framework behind this team as much as possible. I hope they'll be some help to you!

First of all, I recommend that you use Talonflame instead of Mega Charizard-X. (I know I know...) However, the truth is that Talonflame's Life Orb - boosted Flare Blitz is stronger and faster than (Jolly) Mega Charizard-X's Flare Blitz. In addition, Talonflame provides a nice priority through Brave Bird and Tailwind, a possible Icy Wind replacement. Yet, if you're still concerned about Smeargle's Dark Void, you can always put Taunt on Talonflame, too. If this is the case, then I recommend that you replace your Sylveon (as you intended) with Mega Kangaskhan; this will ensure Talonflame's safety. Of course, Mega Kangaskhan is a check to Smeargle as well.

Consider the factors above, you really don't need Cresselia. Instead, you could make greater use of Aegislash. Besides giving your team the remaining coverage that it needs, it also fills in the roles of a reliable Wide Guard user and a pivot; it is not weak to Rock, Ice, Psychic, Fighting, and Flying type moves as some of your other mons are. Now, I really don't understand the investment of your EVs; it seems random and does not seem to survive/check specific threats, so for the time being, I'll provide standard as well as my own EV sets below.

Furthermore, I recommend that your Amoonguss use Rock Helmet, not Eject Button, as you certainly would want to Spore the opposing team whenever you have the chance; Eject Button stops you from such valuable opportunities. (Note that this Amoonguss set survives Psychic from Mega Gardevoir which is more relevant to its threats anyways.) Lastly, Landorus is better off using Choice Scarf (for speed) or Assault Vest (for special defensive bulk). You shouldn't worry too much about it being OHKO'ed since you already have two reliable pivots (Aegislash and Rotom-Wash) in store.

Well, I hope my advise helps you in areas where you truly need it. Here is a importable for you to try in Pokemon Showdown simulator before you actually train them in-game. HF!

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Fake Out

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Taunt / Tailwind
- Protect
Thank you much! I never thought to use an Assault Vest on Landorus. That's exactly what I was looking for!! My only issue is I don't want to use Mega-Khan, I wanted to build a competitive team that was unique and didn't use Mega Kangaskhan.

Also, you seem right about the rocky helmet, It would probably be a better utility. I thought that combos with U Turn and eject button would work well but it seems to hard and circumstantial to get off. Rocky helmet would be better.

I would like to find a way to keep Charizard. My favorite Pokémon and I don't want to use a team that looks like a clone of everybody else's team.

Also, if I swap out Cresselia would that not put me at a huge disadvantage in Trick Room? Charizard/Landorus do not need to be under Trick Room. They'd probably get OHKO.

Should I swap Sylveon out with Aegislash? He could be a wall, or a pretty strong clean up mon.

I really love your item and EV suggestions I'll probably re train majority of them in game after doing some testing, but I just don't want to swap out the Charizard and bring Mega Khan in. Charizard also has a strong Dragon Claw and Earthquake and isn't as frail as Talonflame. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Talonflame in separately just for the tailwind support and for Priority Brave Bird.

Any further suggestions based on my response?

Thank you!

Last edited:
What if I replaced Sylveon with Lopunny? I feel that would be a great replacement with the Fake Out support and Fighting type coverage?

If you plan to use Mega Charizard X, you definitely need Protect over Earthquake as there are several mons that can threaten it, especially the duo of Landorus-t and Thundurus, the Taunt user. And you don't have to worry too much about checking a Trick Room as you have Amoonguss to Spore them before they even have the chance to or even when they have succeeded in doing so. Also, Aegislash is particularly strong against Trick Room users which are usually Psychic or Ghost types. For the matter of your replacement, you can use Terrakion. Although it does not have Fake Out, it has Quick Guard, which stops Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out or Thundurus's Taunt / Thunder-Wave from reaching onto your Mega Charizard X as it uses Dragon Dance. It also has the coverage to take on Mega Kangaskhan and Thundurus, too. For the matter of items, I would give Aegislash Life Orb since Talonflame is now gone and give Terrakion Lum Berry as it is a frequent victim of Status moves.

Other things I want to mention is that you should use Jolly Mega Charizard-X as you want to outspeed occasional Timid (Life Orb - boosted) Hydreigon and be in par with other mons of the 167 Speed tier. Of course, that is if the occasion arises in which you hadn't boosted yet. If you see Rain, always bring out Amoonguss.

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Quick Guard
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Rock Slide

Last edited:
Lopunny might work, but it's not that good in BSD.

Char X is pretty much completely outclassed by Char Y, so if you want Zard you should change the form. X is great in Singles, but it has nothing but a non-stab EQ as a doubles move, and that's not very good.

Ofc, since Y has Drought you'd have to totally revamp your team, pretty much. Cress is a good partner for Y definitely, I'd highly recommend her. Ofc, tr is a bit weird, though I guess you could try a slower bulky Zard with it-however you wanna do it. But DEFINITELY you would need Moonlight on Cress with Zardy. Using a Helmet or something other than Lum would probably be good, I don't think Dark Void is very common and it's easy enough to stop with Taunt from Thund, for example.

Amoongus...idk. ProjectTitan313 could tell you better how that does on a sun team, since he mostly runs those. On the one hand Amoongus hates a powered up fire weakness, but on the other hand is a great answer to rain.

Rotom-W is kinda yucky in sun, I wouldn't run it. Thundurus sounds like a great choice instead, and you can Taunt those Smeargles.

Lando-T works great on sun too, no reason you couldn't have it really, though it does contribute to the moderate rain weakness and also ice.

And then you want a 6th mon. Idk what. Kang could probably still work, rare that it doesn't. I wouldn't use another mon that fears rain. Sand will probably present lots of issues too, so watch out for that.

Good lucl, I'm probably not much help.

Omastar is right about charX and Y, but i don't fully agree on charX being switched, since I think you can still keep Char X if you want to play it. It just needs some more support, for example:

- You could switch sylveon with Togekiss, keeping the Fairy coverage but also gaining a fairy-Follow Me support to aid DDs, more speed control with Tailwind/Twave and an usefull immunity to ground attacks that is always good with CharX. Even eviolite Clefairy could be a good idea for the same purpose, giving you a way to redirect attacks with Follow Me and a form of speed control with T-Wave and After You (that could definitely help if somehow you are under Trick Room, since Clef is very slow). Even its ability, Friend Guard, it's not something to underestimate, especially in doubles since it weakens attacks, taking even less damage from moves such as rock slide or earthquake that are already weakened by the doubles mechanincs and that threaten CharizardX.
- like Test bot said, I also think Aegislash might help your team, since it offers Wide Guard support while being resistent to Rock/Dragon attacks for Zard and Ice attacks for Lando. It is also capable of taking down physical behemoths such as Cresselia, that otherwise are able to tank CharizardX and Landorus.
- Greninja could also be a good add, since it threatens many CharX checks, such as most rock slide users like Landorus or TTar, can hit hard Cresselia that is usually capable of tanking CharX, and it is also able to deal good damage to fairies like Sylveon or follow me supporters such as Togekiss and Clefairy/fable with Gunk Shot, so yeah is definitely a good partner for CharizardX.

Last edited:
yea, he just said Charizard's his favorite, not a specific form. So I thought I'd recommend the generally better form, but x is workable and there is some point to using x and bluffing y. Not a lot, but if that's your favorite then go for it

- Greninja could also be a good add, since it threatens many CharX checks, such as most rock slide users like Landorus or TTar, can hit hard Cresselia that is usually capable of tanking CharX, and it is also able to deal good damage to fairies like Sylveon or follow me supporters such as Togekiss and Clefairy/fable with Gunk Shot, so yeah is definitely a good partner for CharizardX.
Greninja is not a great mon in Doubles, and it should not be considered in the mandatory checklists as you mentioned in another RMT thread. And although it checks Ground/Rock types, it is very vulnerable due to its combination of terrible bulk and one-target syndrome. In other words, it is very niche. I don't particularly recommend using Gunk miss either. Just using Rotom-W, which has more usefulness, and Aegislash, a Fairies check, is fine.

- You could switch sylveon with Togekiss, keeping the Fairy coverage but also gaining a fairy-Follow Me support to aid DDs, more speed control with Tailwind/Twave and an usefull immunity to ground attacks that is always good with CharX. Even eviolite Clefairy could be a good idea for the same purpose, giving you a way to redirect attacks with Follow Me and a form of speed control with T-Wave and After You (that could definitely help if somehow you are under Trick Room, since Clef is very slow). Even its ability, Friend Guard, it's not something to underestimate, especially in doubles since it weakens attacks, taking even less damage from moves such as rock slide or earthquake that are already weakened by the doubles mechanincs and that threaten CharizardX.
And although Follow Me is sometimes favored over Rage Powder, this team really needs Spore to check Trick Room, not just Rain through TW/T-Wave. For this reason, I did not recommend those Fairy types.

yea, he just said Charizard's his favorite, not a specific form. So I thought I'd recommend the generally better form, but x is workable and there is some point to using x and bluffing y. Not a lot, but if that's your favorite then go for it
Well honestly, I feel there is a way to work with X- not just for the bluff. Of course I'm not one of those pricks that will have a certain Pokémon on every team I just want a team that works with my Physical Char-X. I mean I'm pretty sure I can get it to work without relying on a bluff. As long as you have the right team with it. Which is why I focused the team mates around a lot of the current Meta strategies.

Yes, Solarme- thank you for the suggestion- especially Togekiss. I think I might give that a shot. I think that will give me a good check to other dragon types (Garchomp is a big one), but Amoonguss is definitely my first choice for redirection.

Unfortunately I feel the same way as Test bot about Greninja. He's not a good one for doubles- and I already think Char-X and Landorus are pretty frail. I love ninja but I don't know if I could work him on this team. Though Rotom isn't super powerful Hydro Pump does it's job pretty well, and he can take some hits.

Test bot- how do you recommend I fit in Terrakion and Aegislash? Char-X, Amoonguss, Rotom-W, Terrakion, Aegislash, Cresselia?

EDIT- I want Aegislash in, but I don't feel the benefit of dropping Cresselia because i still don't want to get hit by Dark Void, and I don't want to drop Landorus. Also if I drop Cresselia I don't have any speed control.

EDIT 2- CRAP I've already caught Terrakion and got frustrated he's Sassy nature.... fail! I've no idea how to get him now.

Last edited:
fair enough, Test Bot is definitely right about Greninja, but i wouldn't underestimate it in this team, because even if it has no bulk, it still offers answers to common ChardX checks. Anyway i'm not the kind of guy who waits some pro gamer to use a niche mon on a youtube channel or in a tournament before using it. If it might work, I just try it out, so yeah mine was just an advice, even if maybe not the best one :]
Test bot- how do you recommend I fit in Terrakion and Aegislash? Char-X, Amoonguss, Rotom-W, Terrakion, Aegislash, Cresselia?

EDIT- I want Aegislash in, but I don't feel the benefit of dropping Cresselia because i still don't want to get hit by Dark Void, and I don't want to drop Landorus. Also if I drop Cresselia I don't have any speed control.

With Aegislash and Amongus Imo you don't need Cresselia, and if you fear Smeargle that much just stick a Lum berry on a Terrakion and give it Double Kick

1st slot: Mega Zard X
2nd slot: Amoonguss
3rd slot: Aegislash
4th slot: Landorus-T or Terrakion (I was okay w/ Terrakion being 6th slot, but eh.)
5th slot: Rotom-W
6th slot: Cress

Against TR: use Amoonguss & Aegislash.
The issue of Speed Control: you don't always need it, but it's just nice to have.
Dark Void Smeargle: Double target it w/ mons that are faster than it. If that is not possible, you can go w/ Cress as you wish.

Edit: Terrakion's Double Kick is an option, but I haven't tried it myself. Don't replace it with Close Combat though.

Last edited:
Well, Cresselia is great and I'd say she's good here. But her main draw definitely isn't Lum+Safeguard, since most anything can do that. Klefki is a good choice for Prankster Safeguard user, or ofc the aforementioned Lum Terrakion. Taunt Thund does the trick too.

I could replace Lum berry on Cresselia and give it to Terrakion, but do I not risk the Fake Out onto Terrakion screwing the whole double kick play? I could probably use Aegislash w/ quick guard I guess (does he get it?) and then drop Cress and keep Landorus and Terrakion.

I would hate choosing between both of them though they both have their own strengths in a way. I love having Knock Off- is Aegislash a Knock Off user? I need to look into that. Also the U turn was great.

Another issue with the DV is what to replace Double Kick with. Such a tough decision. I was thinking I could just slap Terrakion in where Sylveon was, but Aegislash does have a rightful place here, as well. I guess my main issue is figuring out if I can have another way to counter Dark avoid and have speed control without Cresselia. I could also go with no speed control, I just get worried of opponents controlling the speed of my Mons and who gets to go first and what not. I kind of am a control freak about speed, lol. I do see how I could work around it, though.

Also- I could choose between Landorus and Terrakion.. I may end up choosing Terrakion and Aegislash because of Quick Guard and Wide Guard could be huge help to this team. That would be:

Char-X
Terrakion
Amoonguss
Aegislash
Cresselia
Rotom-W

Or the former:

Char-X
Terrakion
Landorus
Amoonguss
Aegislash
Rotom-W

I just feel like that leaves Swiss cheese holes in with how often I'm seeing Dark Void in the battle spot. Plus Mega Khan being so prominent, id have to get the burn off with Rotom-W or get a quick Knockout with DD and Char. Dragon Claw could make short work of Khan if it was boosted Im sure. Im just having trouble deciding which direction to go.

EDIT- You know Crobat or Hitmontop could have a good spot here as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)