"Career" in IT

Hi Smogon!
Due to the sheer number of IT people on smogon, I want to ask you a very "Simple" question:
-Let's say you just finished your major in Informatics, and you want to go to grad school, which program would you prefer:
1-) Programing, or
2-) Network Communications?

ps:nop, I haven't finished college, so if not like I wanted you to take my decision. Is just that I want to know. period.

The two might both be related to computing, but they're quite different and really depend on your own subjective opinion on where you want to take your career. I wouldn't really say one is better than the other, but personally, seeing as I enjoy programming a fair amount, I'd go with the former.

Seriously though, look at the job opportunities they create as well as what each involves exactly, and based on the past experiences, choose whichever seems most appealing to you.

I'd perform something I'm actually good at and enjoy and that's something that only you can answer.

However, Network Comm sounds like a better prospect seeing how programming is just a computer science discipline out of many and your research won't be on programming but rather how to make better programming languages and such.

Just finish the first 2 years and get a clear idea, GL.

If you like fiddly tedious stuff that makes you want to throw your keyboard out the window every now and then, programming (the course may not be like this; but the practical application if you work in the field will), otherwise something else will be more suited to you. Also depends what the programming course is about, if it's making programming languages that's one thing, if it's about design patterns that's another.

Research the topic more and consider how you'll like each option is my best response.

I would highly recommend shadowing/interning with people that hold jobs in these fields. Due to the nature of my job I get to dabble in both, and they are less similar than you might initially think.

Also, echoing sentiments that have already been expressed: go with the choice that you get the most satisfaction from. Both jobs can have their rotten days (or weeks or months...). Choosing something you actually like will go a long way towards offsetting those streaks.

I'm currently majoring in IT with a curriculum highly focused on networking and system management (although we refer to it as the system administration track). I knew I wanted to go into college studying either CS or IT, but I settled with IT because I knew programming was not something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. That's really the question you need to ask yourself, because there are tons of jobs in IT, but CS is very narrow in terms of what your options are after you graduate. Chances are you'll have a higher salary majoring in CS, but that shouldn't be the only factor. Also I think networking would better suit you...Why would you go into grad school for CS if you didn't major in it? I feel like you'd be a bit behind unless you are confident in your programming skills.

Also I'm not sure if this applies to you, but I still take a lot of programming classes over the course of my undergrad despite being an IT major.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Networking is hard. That will either appeal to you or not. In terms of tedious fiddly stuff, its far worse than programming.

I might be a bit biased because my University has really good (IE hard) networking papers and really shit everything else.

But I also recommed picking programmes based on teachers. Shit teachers will teach you nothing, so its best not to bother.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For both you mostly either like them or hate them. I find networking dull and love programming, but that's up to you. Get to know a little about each field to see which one you like more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)