CAP Updates: Volkraken Discussion (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Volkraken

Abilities: Analytic/Infiltrator/Pressure
Stats: 100 HP/45 Atk/80 Def/130 SpA/100 SpD/95 Spe

Volkraken is an amazing Pokemon. It's Fire/Water coverage and access to U-turn makes it a massive threat, especially considering how viciously Analytic punishes switching. Scarf Volkraken is one of the best revenge killers in CAP, Specs Volkraken is disgustingly hard to switch into, and Substitute Volkraken can create a lot of problems with its surprise factor.

Volkraken is far too successful to be considered for a competitive update, but we will endeavor to bring Volkraken's movepool up to date with Generation 7.

What flavor moves would be appropriate for Volkraken to bring it up to date with Generation 7? Please limit this to moves with little to no competitive value.

Burn Up is Disallowed, let's not even go there.

The only move that fits Volkraken flavorwise but is still not broken is Liquidation. Base 45 Atk gives it zero competitive merit, and Volkraken really seems like the Pokemon that would be able to learn the move.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Alright let me talk about a move called Absorb. Not Giga Drain. Absorb.

Compare these two pages:

Access to Leech Life in Gen 7
Access to Leech Life in Gen 6

All Pokemon from Generation 6 and before got Leech Life by level up got access to Absorb instead of Leech Life between Gen 6 and Gen 7 (presumably not to have such a powerful move at such a low level). And then with the exception of the Zubat and the Venonat line, they don't even get Leech Life by Level Up anymore; they get it by TM. Additionally, the two outlying cases get Leech Life way later in their Level Up pools: Zubat loses Acrobatics and Venonat's moves are swapped around. I'm not sure whether we want to keep it in its actual level up pool, but imo:

Move Leech Life from Level Up Pool to TM Moves
Add Absorb to Level Up Pool at Level 1

It might seem like a really superficial change, but we might as well follow the trend.

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Now that this is up, we can
Get Kraken. ...Worth it.

In terms of new moves, I actually am not sure what we can actually give it. Liquidation is flavorly bound to beings with exoskeletons and hard shells like Golisopod, Araquanid, and Tirtouga. I don't know about you, but I don't see a shell on that squid. The only other option is Fire Lash, but that is a hard exclusive, and I'd rather avoid it. I just don't see anything that can be put on it in terms of new stuff.

Support Absorb cause of move to move.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think we are in a Crucibelle case. Most moves are either signatures or they do not fit. I suggest we just drop on Absorb and move on with our lives. Unless we want to add Brutal Swing or something.

In terms of moves, Volkraken doesn't really need anything except Heat Wave, Water Pulse, Snore and Bind. Kerfluffle don't need nothing, but that's aside the point. Despite the tasty flavor, Steam Eruption was not considered because it is a Mythical's signature move, and Volcanion was released after Volkraken's process. I have a feeling we're not taking that into account, though.

Volkraken is already in a realy good position so I don't really think there needs to be added much to it. But if you really want, Sludge Bomb and Octazooka, just for the entire "ink bomb" thing that cephalopods are so well known for (even do Sludge Bomb is most then likely a bad idea).

I also support Absorb, a bit on the fence with Brutal Swing.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Volkraken is already in a realy good position so I don't really think there needs to be added much to it. But if you really want, Sludge Bomb and Octazooka, just for the entire "ink bomb" thing that cephalopods are so well known for (even do Sludge Bomb is most then likely a bad idea).

I also support Absorb, a bit on the fence with Brutal Swing.
Sludge Bomb is a terrible idea. Fire Blast / Surf / Sludge Bomb / U-turn would become its best set because now it can break through Tapu Fini and bulky Water-types much more easily, as well as hitting Pyroak a little harder.

vs. Standard Pyroak
252 SpA Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pyroak: 201-237 (45.3 - 53.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Volkraken Power Gem vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pyroak: 194-230 (43.7 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pyroak: 218-258 (49.2 - 58.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Before, Volkraken could be stalled out, but now Pyroak has to worry about Poison chance and a high chance to 2HKO

vs. Tapu Fini
252 SpA Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 66-78 (19.2 - 22.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 146-172 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 108-128 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 238-282 (69.3 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 86-102 (25 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 188-222 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 141-166 (41.1 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 308-364 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Before, Tapu Fini was a soft counter to Volkraken that could get worn down over time, but it'd force Volkraken out. Not so with Sludge Bomb.

vs. Rotom-W
252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 20 SpD Rotom-Wash: 111-131 (36.6 - 43.2%) -- 99.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 20 SpD Rotom-Wash: 122-144 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Before, Rotom-W was a soft check to Scarf Volkraken that could force it out and heal off damage with Pain Split. Poison chance + that kind of damage makes Sludge Bomb undesirable.

My conclusion: Sludge Bomb has no place on Volkraken. However, Gunk Shot would be ok off of Base 45 Attack and would provide the ink effect you're looking for (Octillery gets it). It'd be easy to slide it into Tutor Moves, meaning there would be a legitimate chance for Volkraken to get it. Even with Poisonium Z, I don't think that'd be very effective. And if you suggest Volk is running a physical set might happen, Fire Blast / Aqua Jet / Leech Life / Gunk Shot would be as far as you'd get.

These moves should definitely be added to Tutor Moves:

Heat Wave - learned at Level 51
Snore - universal
Water Pulse - egg move

Not sure if anyone would have a problem with these but imo these should be added:
Bind - useless, flavorful, Octillery the other squid/octopus thing gets this
Gunk Shot - useless, same reasoning as Bind

EDIT: Please no Brutal Swing. Squids don't swing their bodies. They propel themselves forwards.

Last edited:
Sludge Bomb is a terrible idea. Fire Blast / Surf / Sludge Bomb / U-turn would become its best set because now it can break through Tapu Fini and bulky Water-types much more easily, as well as hitting Pyroak a little harder.

vs. Standard Pyroak
252 SpA Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pyroak: 201-237 (45.3 - 53.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Volkraken Power Gem vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pyroak: 194-230 (43.7 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pyroak: 218-258 (49.2 - 58.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Before, Volkraken could be stalled out, but now Pyroak has to worry about Poison chance and a high chance to 2HKO

vs. Tapu Fini
252 SpA Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 66-78 (19.2 - 22.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 146-172 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 108-128 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 238-282 (69.3 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 86-102 (25 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 188-222 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 141-166 (41.1 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 308-364 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Before, Tapu Fini was a soft counter to Volkraken that could get worn down over time, but it'd force Volkraken out. Not so with Sludge Bomb.

vs. Rotom-W
252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 20 SpD Rotom-Wash: 111-131 (36.6 - 43.2%) -- 99.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 20 SpD Rotom-Wash: 122-144 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Before, Rotom-W was a soft check to Scarf Volkraken that could force it out and heal off damage with Pain Split. Poison chance + that kind of damage makes Sludge Bomb undesirable.

My conclusion: Sludge Bomb has no place on Volkraken. However, Gunk Shot would be ok off of Base 45 Attack and would provide the ink effect you're looking for (Octillery gets it). It'd be easy to slide it into Tutor Moves, meaning there would be a legitimate chance for Volkraken to get it. Even with Poisonium Z, I don't think that'd be very effective. And if you suggest Volk is running a physical set might happen, Fire Blast / Aqua Jet / Leech Life / Gunk Shot would be as far as you'd get.

These moves should definitely be added to Tutor Moves:

Heat Wave - learned at Level 51
Snore - universal
Water Pulse - egg move

Not sure if anyone would have a problem with these but imo these should be added:
Bind - useless, flavorful, Octillery the other squid/octopus thing gets this
Gunk Shot - useless, same reasoning as Bind

EDIT: Please no Brutal Swing. Squids don't swing their bodies. They propel themselves forwards.
That's kind of why I said "most then likely a bad idea". And since Volk was made in Gen 6, but didn't got SB, there was most likely a (really) good reason why (as shown by the calcs). Gunk Shot definitely falls more in line without being broken (I actually am wondering myself why haven't I tought about it in the first place).

My overall opinions on the shtuffs:

Liquidation - Hard no; the only mons to get this have hard bodies (Corsola/Carracosta line) or some form of defensive measure/exoskeleton (Araquanid/Golisopod lines). Volkraken has no such visible defensive looking thing on it, so I don't see how it would manage to all-out water tackle without smushing its insides up.

Absorb - Sure; it has no competitive implications and there's move to move to think about as well. Level up seems like a good place for it if Leech Life gets moved to TMs.

Brutal Swing - Its tentacles look really thin and short to be doing any actual damage with them. Octillery doesn't learn it either, so I don't see any real precedence for it on octopus mons.

Sludge Bomb - No, just... no.

Octazooka - I'm not against it. It's practically useless competitively and is distributed so weirdly that I can't see a reason why a squid/octopus mon wouldn't get it. I'd recommend Egg Moves for it, via Octillery.

Gunk Shot - On the fence; I can see the precedence for it, but I'm just not entirely sold on the flavor yet.

Other than those, all of the tutor moves are fine, since Volk either already gets them or they're universal.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You all realise I was sarcastic about Brutal Swing right? That has no place on Volkraken, and neither does Sludge Bomb. Haze would be a good alternative for ink, if you watch the anime, its a smoke cloud. Gunk Shot is good too.

You all realise I was sarcastic about Brutal Swing right? That has no place on Volkraken, and neither does Sludge Bomb. Haze would be a good alternative for ink, if you watch the anime, its a smoke cloud. Gunk Shot is good too.
I support Haze. It makes sense with flavorly, and is outclassed by Tomohawk as a user. Also, I really like Octozooka. It's a squid, is extremely weak, and is useless!

Other moves I support are:
Absorb (Move-to-Move)
Gunk Shot (A non-viable alternative to Sludge Bomb which is ew)
Snore (Universal)
Bind (Octillery gets it. It has tentacles. Also, it gets Constrict.)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As far as tutors:

Bind
Bounce
(Every Water 2 mon w/ Gen 6 Tutors gets it, competitively useless)
Heat Wave
Signal Beam
(pretty much every Water 2 Mon and huge portions of Water 1 with Gen 6 Tutors gets this - It is significantly weaker than Fire Blast or Hydro Pump to the point the only mon it hits harder than either is Hoopa-U.)
Snore
Water Pulse

In addition to Hoopa-U, I'd like to point out that Signal Beam hits some other Psychic-types harder as well, namely those that resist Volkraken's STAB combination. These would be Latios, Latias, Slowbro, and Slowking. I went ahead and did some Choice Specs + Analytic calcs to see what Signal Beam is capable of:
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 304-358 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 262-310 (87 - 102.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 248 HP / 28 SpD Slowbro: 384-452 (97.7 - 115%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 68+ SpD Slowking: 260-306 (65.9 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 288-340 (95.6 - 112.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 248 HP / 28 SpD Slowbro: 420-496 (106.8 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 68+ SpD Slowking: 284-336 (72 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
It's safe to say that Signal Beam does have an impact on Volkraken's matchups with these Pokemon, particularly with the Regen twins as they can't scout Volkraken's set as safely as before. On the flip side, none of the Pokemon I mentioned are terribly metagame-defining at the moment, meaning that Volkraken would probably still end up running Power Gem or a Hidden Power for coverage even if it did get Signal Beam from this update.

There seems to be flavor precedence for Signal Beam based on egg group - tutor move correlation, but I'd like to to hear some discussion on the competitive aspect. Is it strong enough to disallow it?

snake

CAP Co-Leader
In addition to Hoopa-U, I'd like to point out that Signal Beam hits some other Psychic-types harder as well, namely those that resist Volkraken's STAB combination. These would be Latios, Latias, Slowbro, and Slowking. I went ahead and did some Choice Specs + Analytic calcs to see what Signal Beam is capable of:
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 304-358 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 262-310 (87 - 102.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 248 HP / 28 SpD Slowbro: 384-452 (97.7 - 115%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 68+ SpD Slowking: 260-306 (65.9 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 288-340 (95.6 - 112.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 248 HP / 28 SpD Slowbro: 420-496 (106.8 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 68+ SpD Slowking: 284-336 (72 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
It's safe to say that Signal Beam does have an impact on Volkraken's matchups with these Pokemon, particularly with the Regen twins as they can't scout Volkraken's set as safely as before. On the flip side, none of the Pokemon I mentioned are terribly metagame-defining at the moment, meaning that Volkraken would probably still end up running Power Gem or a Hidden Power for coverage even if it did get Signal Beam from this update.

There seems to be flavor precedence for Signal Beam based on egg group - tutor move correlation, but I'd like to to hear some discussion on the competitive aspect. Is it strong enough to disallow it?
Honestly, Signal Beam is pushing it. Volk is a pretty volatile Pokemon with such good offensive stats and Analytic. I'd rather leave these defensive answers untouched, even if they aren't top metagame picks now. Also of note is that, while Greninja and Ash Greninja, two very relevant Pokemon right now, don't have the best match up with Volkraken, Signal Beam does push the match up even more in favor of Volk by achieving OHKOes on its Scarf set.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with snake_rattler; Volkraken is balanced at all mostly because of its lack of coverage. Give it attacks that eliminate a range of switch-ins like Signal Beam and you *really* restrict team building. I realize that the type correlation is strong, but the competitive aspect is pretty overwhelming. I would really prefer that we avoid that sort of game-changing move.

I would personally still run Hidden Power or U-Turn over Signal Beam, but I still think it is too competitive. Slowbro, Latios, and Latias, while not meta-defining, get hit very hard as shown by sparktrain's post, along with Hoopa-U and Greninja, two very defining pokemon.

Edit: goddamnit reachzero

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
Seems like we've gone pretty dry here, so let's go to complete movepool submissions! Sludge Bomb and Signal Beam are Disallowed, particularly important since Signal Beam does have strong type correlation. Other moves without competitive value are permitted, with explanation.

Here is Volkraken's current movepool:
http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/moves/volkraken

We'll go to a poll in 72 hours!

Last edited:
Final Submission

- Constrict
- Flash
- Bite
- Absorb
- Reflect
- Water Gun
4 Reflect
9 Water Gun
14 Whirlpool
18 Fire Spin
23 Flame Burst
28 Scald
32 Destiny Bond
37 Dive
41 Power Gem
47 Aqua Ring
51 Heat Wave
56 Hydro Pump
62 Memento
67 Wring Out
- Leech Life was replaced by Absorb (and moved to TMs) consistently with other G7 updates; note that very few Pokémon have kept Leech Life as a leve-up move in the G6>7 transition.
- Post-evolution (34+) levels have been regularized with increasing delays, and the odd gap between Hydro Pump and Memento has been shortened.
- Wring Out is common among tentacled Pokémon and is often one of the last moves a Pokémon learns.

Aqua Jet
Assurance
Captivate
Scary Face
Tickle
Water Pulse
No additions.

TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM35 Flamethrower
TM38 Fire Blast
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM54 False Swipe
TM55 Scald
TM56 Fling
TM60 Quash
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Surf
TM98 Waterfall
TM100 Confide
- Leech Life is moved here from the level-up moves.
- Surf and Waterfall have changed number.
- Flame Charge is universal among normal Fire-types, so unless it proves overwhelming I think it should be included.

Bind
Bounce
Heat Wave
Snore
Spite
Water Pulse
- Heat Wave and Water Pulse are repeated.
- Bind is almost implied by Constrict and fits a tentacled Pokémon.
- Snore is almost universal.
- Bounce is shared with fellow cephalopod Octillery.
- Spite fits some eerie/"strange" moves in Volkraken's movepool such as Destiny Bond and Memento.

Incinerate (G6 TM59)
Secret Power (ORAS TM94)
Secret Power is universal.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

0 Constrict
0 Flash
0 Bite
0 Absorb
0 Reflect
0 Water Gun
4 Reflect
9 Water Gun
14 Whirlpool
18 Fire Spin
23 Flame Burst
28 Scald
32 Destiny Bond
35 Fire Lash
39 Dive
42 Power Gem
46 Aqua Ring
51 Heat Wave
56 Hydro Pump
60 Wring Out
66 Memento

The flavor precendent is there in G7 to replace Leech Life with Absorb. Notably, Absorb is a Level-up move only and nothing learns it by breeding. Fire Lash was added at L35 as Volkraken has long tentacles it could swing at opponents to whip them, Volk otherwise doesn't learn physical fire moves in its movepool and it really should get one to match the presence of Dive. Fire Lash has no competitive implications due to Kraken's low attack and inability to capitalize on it, as all its best sets are Choice sets.

Finally, Wring Out was added at L60 because there's a pretty big gulf between when Volk learns Hydro Pump and Memento, and Wring Out fits pretty well flavorwise and at that level.

Aqua Jet
Assurance
Captivate
Reflect Type
Scary Face
Tickle
Water Pulse

Reflect Type can be Chainbred from Omanyte/Stunfisk, and shows Volk's abilities with Bioluminescence. Deep-Sea Squids can change their color at will to communicate, and Reflect Type is a way to show this off with no detrimental effects. Kraken really loves its dual STAB and doesn't want to give it up.

Bind
Bounce
Covet

Heat Wave
Snore
Water Pulse

Additions:
Bind - Matches Constrict
Bounce - Huge correlation with Water 2 Egg Group
Covet - Natueal behavior among squids and octopi is to steal each others nests to rest in. This is more covetous than mere theft.
Snore - Universal Tutor
Water Pulse - Type Consistency

TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM35 Flamethrower
TM38 Fire Blast
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM54 False Swipe
TM55 Scald
TM56 Fling
TM60 Quash
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Surf
TM98 Waterfall

TM100 Confide

Leech Life is now in TMs, Surf, and Waterfall changed from HMs to TMs.

Incinerate (G5/G6 TM59)
Infestation (G6 TM83)
Quash (G5/G6 RM60)
Secret Power (ORAS TM94)

Additions:
Infestation matches some of its bug-like flavor and Volk already has Fire Spin and Whirlpool
Secret Power was a Universal TM in ORAS.

Absorb (Level-Up)
Bind (Past Gen Tutor)
Bounce (Past Gen Tutor)
Covet (Past Gen Tutor)
Fire Lash (Level-Up)
Infestation (Past-Gen TM)
Reflect Type (Egg)
Secret Power (Universal TM)
Snore (Universal Tutor)
Water Pulse (Past Gen Tutor)
Wring Out (Level-Up)
11 Moves total

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Me and snake_rattler decided to work on this together, so for now consider this a combined submission.

Final Submission

-Mystical Fire
- Constrict
- Absorb
Evo: Dive

4 Water Gun
9 Bite
14 Flash
18 Fire Spin
18 Whirlpool
23 Aqua Ring
28 Flame Burst
32 Scald
37 Reflect
42 Power Gem
46 Destiny Bond
51 Heat Wave
56 Hydro Pump
60 Wring Out
65 Memento

Due to move to move changes to Leech Life, we decided to swap it out for Absorb, as it is the move ususally chosen for replacing Leech Life. We also added Mystical Fire as a Lvl. 1 move, as it explains how Volkraken is able to shoot these flames underwater. Dive was changed to an evolution move, as it describes Volkraken descending into the deep abyss after evolution. Wring Out is fairly common amongst creatures with tentacles, so we felt it felt Volkraken fairly well and added it at Lvl. 60. Finally, the entire order of the moveset changed quite a bit, and the new outcome is far more cohesive in its look. The changes are describe below:
  • Water Gun, Bite, and Flash were moved to the levels 4, 9, and 14 respectively.
  • Fire Spin and Whirlpool swapped places, and both now are learned at level 18.
  • Reflect has now been moved to Dive's previous position of Level 37.
  • Destiny Bond and Aqua Ring swapped positions.
  • Flame Burst, Scald, and Aqua Ring have changed order to the one above.
Bind
Bug Bite
Foul Play

Heat Wave
Snore
Spite

Water Pulse

Heat Wave and Water Pulse already occur in other places in its movepool. Bind is implied by already learning Constrict and tentacles in its design. Bug Bite was added to compliment Bite. Foul Play is added to reflect Volkraken's nature to trap then attack, which can't exactly be considered honorable. Snore is a universal move. Spite was added to further continue the vampiric element of Volkraken, and adds a vampire's nature to hate humans.
Aqua Jet
Assurance
Captivate
Scary Face
Tickle
Water Pulse

No Changes.
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM35 Flamethrower
TM38 Fire Blast
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM54 False Swipe
TM55 Scald
TM56 Fling
TM60 Quash
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Surf
TM98 Waterfall

TM100 Confide

Leech Life was moved from movepools to its current position, while Surf and Waterfall are consistency with HM removal. Flame Charge is universal among non-form change Fire types.
Incinerate (Gen 6 TM59)
Secret Power (ORAS TM94)

Secret Power was added since it was near-universal in Gen 6.
Additions:
Absorb added to Level 1
Bind added to Tutor Moves
Bug Bite added to Tutor Moves
Foul Play added to Tutor Moves
Mystical Fire added to Level 1
Snore added to Tutor Moves
Spite added to Tutor Moves
Wring Out added to Level 60

Within Movepool:
Aqua Ring moved from Level 46 to Level 23
Bite moved from Level 1 to Level 9
Destiny Bond moved from Level 32 to Level 46
Dive moved from Level 37 to Evolve Move
Flame Burst moved from Level 23 to Level 28
Flash moved from Level 1 to Level 14
Leech Life moved from Level 1 to TM List
Memento moved from Level 66 to Level 65
Reflect moved from Level 4 to Level 37
Scald moved from Level 28 to Level 32
Surf moved from HM List to TM List
Water Gun moved from Level 9 to Level 4
Waterfall moved from HM List to TM List
Whirlpool moved from Level 14 to Level 18

Duplications:
Heat Wave duplicated from Level Up to Move Tutor
Water Pulse duplicated from Level Up to Move Tutor

Last edited:

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Knock Off isn't a move we should see on Volkraken. Chansey is one of Volkraken's #1 switch-ins, but not so with Knock Off.

Volkraken @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Knock Off
- U-turn

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey: 301-355 (46.8 - 55.2%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey: 232-274 (36.1 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

At minimum, you do 82.9% to Chansey after Eviolite is removed, and at maximum you do 97.8%. One layer of rocks and Chansey has a really high chance of going down. While it may seem dumb to run Knock Off on Choice Specs Volkraken, I just don't think it should be able to mess with items at all.

----

As for Z-Spite, we don't really see Z-Haze Fini or any other variants like that. Resttalk would probably be a better strategy for Volkraken. At least then you have a useful Z Crystal.

Deck Knight

Kraken would lose too much power or speed running a Z-Crystal for support effects (other than Z-Rain Dance or Z-Sunny Day, I guess), so Z-Haze and Z-Spite are fine. Kraken likes smashing things rather than healing, it just happens to also not get wiped out in one hit usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)