CAP Updates: Kerfluffle Discussion (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man

Kerfluffle Update Discussion

Welcome to the Kerfluffle update thread!

Obviously, as Kerfluffle is the most recent CAP, there really isn't too much to address here. Kerfluffle is a good Pokemon in the metagame – it's got a great typing, good coverage, a really nice speed tier, and despite being slightly overshadowed by the Tapus upon the transition to Generation 7, Kerfluffle still maintains a solid niche via Parting Shot. As Kerfluffle performs just as well as it needs to in the metagame, there is no reason to give it a competitive update here. The main thing we need to address (albeit a small thing) is adding any Gen 7 flavor moves to Kerfluffle's movepool.

What moves introduced in Generation 7 should be added to Kerfluffle's movepool in accordance with its design or typing?

Keep in mind that there is always the option not to add anything at all. This discussion will last 2-3 days, and at the end we will run a poll for certain flavor moves if necessary.

Have fun!

So, uh, just glancing through the Gen 7 moves list, there really isn't anything I see and particularly like... Even Tearful Look, the closest thing I see, just doesn't really match Kerf's flavor. I will just throw a quick reminder here though that the HM for Strength no longer exists, so that part of the movepool needs to be shifted or something.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Seems like I was a big dummy dumb dumb when I made Kerf's movepool and forgot Secret Power. Brutal Swing is an easy one to add if we really want that. Strength should be a Transfer Only. Could we get rid of the Level 1 Fairy Wind and just keep the Level 5 one?

Also, Kerfluffle is completely messed up on site. It looks like it has Voodoom's Egg Moves for its Egg Moves, its Move Tutor list is its Egg Moves, and it lacks a sprite...

Other than the addition of Secret Power and reducing Strength to a transfer-only move, Kerfluffle doesn't really need anything. Kerf's too new to receive anything else, and there's little of interest from Gen 7 to give our fluffy pillow fighter. Kerf doesn't particularly look like a crybaby, so Tearful Look is probably out of the question.

I've emphasized that Kerf doesn't need much on both Showdown and Discord several times, and I appreciate that we saved one of the fastest for last.

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
I pretty much agree with everything that has already been said. Since it is our newest CAP, there isn't too much we have to give it, and we don't really even have to give it anything. Of course the required move in Secret Power has to be added, and maybe Brutal Swing could be added, but other than that, there's not much we want to give it. And I'm not totally sure about Brutal Swing.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ew. Nothing brutal about Pillow Fights to me. No matter how hard Kerfluffle swings it won't be very brutal.

I agree with Secret Power being added.

Brutal Swing doesn't make sense to me. There are several Fighting-types that are more violent than Kerfluffle that don't learn Brutal Swing. Nothing in the Fairy egg group learns Brutal Swing.

There's one other move which hasn't been mentioned yet: Work Up. TM01 changed from Hone Claws to Work Up in Gen 7, and every Fighting-type bar Pheromosa learns Work Up by TM. Kerfluffle should as well for consistency.

I just want to note Kerfluffle's on-site movepool does not list its hidden ability, which seems to have been decided as Friend Guard in the flavour ability poll.

Yes to Work Up unless the Special Attack boost is deemed overwhelming.

I agree; unless deemed borked, Work Up makes sense; it's "Cheer Up" in Japanese apparently, and that it's a pillow makes perfect sense. Bed is happy place.

If I recall correctly, boosting moves were avoided when we made Kerfluffle, as it discouraged switching after a boost, which its concept is based on (parting shot user). I think we should avoid work up even though most fighting types get it to preserve kerfluffles concept. Kerfluffle wouldn't be the only fighting type to not have it (Pheromosa doesn't get it) and in this case, we may want to prioritize concept consistency and avoiding possible competitive boosts over move consistency.

G-Luke

If I recall correctly, boosting moves were avoided when we made Kerfluffle, as it discouraged switching after a boost, which its concept is based on (parting shot user). I think we should avoid work up even though most fighting types get it to preserve kerfluffles concept. Kerfluffle wouldn't be the only fighting type to not have it (Pheromosa doesn't get it) and in this case, we may want to prioritize concept consistency and avoiding possible competitive boosts over move consistency.
I mean it already has Z-Hold Hands so

Consistency updates don't necessarily mean "no competitive boosts allowed." A prime example of this is Krilowatt receiving Scald and Volt Switch, which arguably have a much larger competitive impact than Kerfluffle receiving a move that boosts its attacking stats by one stage.

I hate to post one-liners like this (feel free to remove when you can, mods), but if Kerfluffle doesn't need anything else besides (mostly) universal TMs, do we even need a poll? The only thing I can see Kerf getting is Secret Power, and that's an ORAS TM.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Consistency updates don't necessarily mean "no competitive boosts allowed." A prime example of this is Krilowatt receiving Scald and Volt Switch, which arguably have a much larger competitive impact than Kerfluffle receiving a move that boosts its attacking stats by one stage.
Its not the competitive aspect, its the consistency aspect. Work Up was readily available back then, but it was consciously avoided, and I think we should respect that decision. But yeah just added Secret Power and lock the thread boxofkangaroos

boxofkangaroos

Mova The possibility of a poll was only if there turned out to be any controversial moves.

I'll leave discussion open for another 12-24 hours, but it looks like the only changes will be to add both Secret Power and Work Up as TM moves, as they are widely distributed and have had no opposition so far.

boxofkangaroos

And that's that. This marks the end of the Kerfluffle update. Considering this was a very simple update, we have definitely achieved our goal. Thanks everyone!

Update summary:

+ Secret Power (TM)
+ Work Up (TM)

A mod may lock this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)