CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for not posting in awhile or responding to others. Wanted to update my design before responding and some serious RL stuff happened that kept me from working on it.
But now that it's over with, here's an update with a few tweaks here and there, along with some palette selections I've been thinking of. I gave him a more torii gate-like headress/horns and did a different back design:

Funnily enough Zephias I refer to my design as Wall Doggo ;P

As much as I want to give my design a more skeletal look, I have to point out with Buzzer_Error's post that because it's a ghost type doesn't mean it has to be all too spooky (and skeletons).
I'm personally going for an unnerving look (as an example, here's a cursed image of Wall Doggo ;D)

I'm still working on some supporting art of how Wall Doggo looks from other angles, I'll probably post them soon once I can fix em' up some more.
Btw, Wall Doggo is as big as a house wall (slightly bigger) if you ever wondered, it wouldn't really make sense if he were small (I'd call him Wall Pupper then ;P)

Any more suggestions would be appreciated, especially with the palettes.
I think some sort of normal ghost color scheme, with purples and blacks would work fine with it. Reds and greens could also work just like the ones in your link.

WIP 3
Sorry for not posting in awhile or responding to others. Wanted to update my design before responding and some serious RL stuff happened that kept me from working on it.
But now that it's over with, here's an update with a few tweaks here and there, along with some palette selections I've been thinking of. I gave him a more torii gate-like headress/horns and did a different back design:
I think the 3rd option with a grey body would suit it great

WIP

Update 3

So now that Comatose has won, I can finally update my treasure chest mimic. It is now a slumbering dragon that keeps its long forked tongue out to sense its victims. After some discussions on Discord I removed the horns and made the skull shape more like that of an existing dragon pokémon, in this case Druddigon. I also made the treasure chest part of the body by moving the arms to the side of the chest and by having the treasure chest in the same colour as the arms and tail ( the colour palette of most pokémon only consists of two or three different colours, anyway).

EDIT: Changed the colours to a more purplish tone.

Last edited:
Comatose didn't win. It's going to fight Tough Claws, Shield Dust and Strong Jaw to fight in the Ranked Pairs. However, the design fits if it gets Comatose.
Check the Poll again. About 14 hrs ago, Comatose has indeed won the ability poll.

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
WIP

Update: hyperspoops activated

unfortunately with the ability for this cap now being comatose, a lot of designs are now knocked over, so i made a new spoop!

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
hello heres a sleepy dragon who dreams about being a big dragon and makes astral projections of his dreams

WIP

Decided to go with the dragon rug after all now that Comatose is confirmed. Got rid of all the bone elements because they weren't really necessary, but to compensate and again justify the trapping concept I took a cue from the lore of the shiro uneri and made the whole body long and ribbon-like, so it can wrap around stuff like the yokai does, and also put some additional limbs and wings on the new long torso so it wouldn't look too plain.

For this iteration of the design, I also added some the ram-like horns and ears and the wool on its back and tail. These were sort of a nod to another folkloric dragon, the one in Classical mythology that guarded the Golden Fleece. Greek dragons were very good at guarding things and were snake-like in nature, so combining those into constriction meshed well with both the concept and the design, and the Comatose ability being used as the main competitive ability is a nice little bit of ironic humor since in some tellings of the myth, the dragon never slept, and had to be charmed into falling sleep. And on the flipside, sleeping dragons are a thing in some other myths, and are a terrible force when roused into action regardless. Thus, a dragon that's competent at guard duty/trapping/wrecking stuff while being constantly asleep would be terrifying, I think. :P

Last edited:
hello heres a sleepy dragon who dreams about being a big dragon and makes astral projections of his dreams
That is a very neat idea that implements the ghost and comatose aspects very well, good job. The only comments I would have is to maybe change the color scheme a bit and implement trapping more into it.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Birthday post + 500th post + update:

Playing around with color schemes. I know the overall look on the schemes are muted right now but I first want to get a feel of the general schemes I could explore with my qilin, so there.

And other palletes:

Geez, comatose is such a copout. For comatose's design cue on this guy, I opted to remove the glowing eyeballs to give the illusion of it having dead eyes or empty eye sockets. I removed the claw on the tail as per the opinions of people here and on discord, and changed the feet into claw-like hooves instead.

Magistrum

I think the purple scheme looks best. Otherwise it looks like a grass-type. I also like the colors better visually. Good removing the claws and with the eyes. If you want to go for a 'sleeping standing up thing' maybe rest the tail on the ground?

Birthday post + 500th post + update:

Playing around with color schemes. I know the overall look on the schemes are muted right now but I first want to get a feel of the general schemes I could explore with my qilin, so there.

And other palletes:

Geez, comatose is such a copout. For comatose's design cue on this guy, I opted to remove the glowing eyeballs to give the illusion of it having dead eyes or empty eye sockets. I removed the claw on the tail as per the opinions of people here and on discord, and changed the feet into claw-like hooves instead.
Happy Birthday, man! Hope you're having a good one. :)

My favorite color for the mane and tail has to be the black and blue, since it makes such a neat yin/yang contrast with the white and pale tan of the rest of the body - perhaps to add to the Comatose theme, maybe you could also include tiny glowing stars in the mane/tail like nebulae to give the whole design a dream-like quality, which is another reason why I liked the black/blue color the most. One critique though is that I don't see the trapping aspects of this thing, now that the tail claw has been scrapped, and I'm wondering now how to incorporate aspects of a trapper into the design without looking tacked on. Perhaps a few shackles with ghostly chains on the neck and limbs would be good, or at least a shackle/chain-like motif incorporated into the scales or armor, plus a longer tail for constriction since the earlier design used its tail to trap things. Maybe even have the "mane" sprout a pair of ghostly arms to grab stuff with, even?

Overall, though, this is a fantastic design, and I look forward to seeing it finalized. :D

WIP
Inspired by a jack and the box, this capmon uses comatose, sitting idly by in it's box, waiting to spring out at any foe that wanders near and trap them by constricting them with it's coil body. I'm open to any criticism, as this is my first submission. I tried to make the design fit the type, but still feel it's lacking some character. Any suggestions on how to make it more ghost/dragon looking are appreciated.

upload_2017-9-12_16-7-16.png

Last edited:
WIP

A new desiiiiign!

I still would've wanted to roll with the egg, but as we got Comatose as our ability I wanted to really corporate the sleep in the design and not just make it sleep as I feel there should be some kind of reasoning. So here I go:

It is a sleeping dragon ghost rooster. Rooster wakes stuff up in the morning. But what if rooster itself is asleep? No one is waking it up.

Also it is Z-shaped like zzzzz...

WIP

A new desiiiiign!

I still would've wanted to roll with the egg, but as we got Comatose as our ability I wanted to really corporate the sleep in the design and not just make it sleep as I feel there should be some kind of reasoning. So here I go:

It is a sleeping dragon ghost rooster. Rooster wakes stuff up in the morning. But what if rooster itself is asleep? No one is waking it up.

Also it is Z-shaped like zzzzz...
I like the idea with the z and the rooster. I feel advancing this could be one of your options. That being said i think the egg could still work really well with comatose. An egg is a very cacoonish type thing that people would think of the contents sleeping in so I believe it would still work with comatose, probably better than other edited versions of original ideas.

Side note: Happy Birthday Magistrum!!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you could somehow incorporate a trapping vybe inthis, it would definately be the top contender in my opinion

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hypno used Hypnosis!

...Wait, but tapeworm-mon is already hypno-eyed.

Doesn't mean tapeworm-mon can't enjoy a good nap, though! Here it is snoozing with a Pluffle. :3

Comments:
  • QxC4eva: Cute ghost dragon. :3 That's all you seek to have to the design, though. It lacks... a theme? Maybe now that Comatose is on the board the design could be worked into something more interesting.
  • Golurkyourself: Lovely execution of a fiendishly tough set of flavor. As said on Discord, it's hard for me to make out Dragon/Ghost. I suggested a more snout-like beak to make it more reptillian. The colors also came out Dark-type, though. Dark blue and red make me think of Yveltal and Bisharp, and it's hard ignoring Greninja as a fellow Dark-type ninja. I agree with Drew that it could be more obviously in a meditating pose so the closed eyes don't look too tacked-on. But besides all of that, you've got a strong design that works well with where this CAP is going.
  • nyttyn: Thanks for the feedback! I want to make the tape part of Tapewyrm recognizable, so I don't know how wispy I can make it without losing that element. But we can talk about colors on Discord. :)
  • HotFuzzBall: Ooh, those details on the skull are rather intricate. I can't imagine being able to sprite them accurately, or worse, depict them on the 'mon's party icon without it devolving into a mishmash of pixels. Do you think you can simplify it somewhat?
  • Felis Licht: I like palette #2. The cool color for the body evokes the Ghost typing more. :) I personally would get rid of the wisp on top of the head, since it seems "there".
  • Blue Frog: I like the concept, and I like the art. However, the two dragons feel disconnected at the moment. It's as though you've superimposed one on the other. If the ghostly dragon were more an extension of the small dragon, it could be more unified as a design.
  • Sgt.Moose: Aww, I'm sad to see egg 'mon go. :( I'm not as fond of your new design, but it's an unfortunate consequence of Comatose. I don't completely understand the blue globby parts, and we have a snaky Z-shaped dragon already. D: If that didn't exist, I'd be warmer to your design.

Thanks a lot to QxC4eva, HeaLnDeaL, nyttyn, and the lovely fellows on Discord for their feedback for artists. :)

Last edited:
Hey all! I present my new and improved version of Brontocorpsus (working title), this time with a further developed design meant to exaggerate its skeletal nature. I tried for an effect where, in addition to the parts where the flesh has been torn away to reveal bone, the skin itself is shriveled and sagging, as if rotting. This grotesque appearance makes it all the more fearsome while attacking, but just as importantly, allows it to set a trap, "playing dead" to lure scavengers before it springs into action and constricts them. Its "play dead" pose can be seen in the supporting art below my working main design. I think this design works really well with Comatose as an ability; I imagine Brontocorpsus putting itself into a deep, coma-like sleep in order to trick opponents into thinking it is fainted; it is only when the time is right does it come alive to strike.

Main Art

Supporting Art

https://i.imgur.com/RgPrzVSl.jpg

Any feedback is most appreciated. I'm particularly concerned with A. Whether the "boney" leg looks better in the front or back", B. Coloring, I've considered adding some other shades to amp up the rotting effect, and C. Whether or not I should use a "playing dead" pose, similar to the supporting art, as my main submission. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)