CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

A subversion of the sleeping dragon trope, this Pokemon's actual body is the small pajama-patterned dragon. Even as a fully evolved Pokemon, they're very weak and childish, but have strong determination and can fall asleep extremely easily. As such, the moment one enters battle it knocks itself asleep, and from its horn it projects itself into the form of a ghostly dragon made from its dreams, indeed this is the form that this dragon dreams of having! It piggybacks its main body behind it to keep it from harms way, but in general this Pokemon has complete control over its dream-form, so in the end despite what it looks, its only creature. There's also a pun about following your dreams somewhere in there.

The design itself was focused heavily on utilizing Comatose as the main concept behind it. The idea of a sleeping dragon is a common trope in all kinds of media, but this design subverts it by making the sleeping dragon puny and not made for combat. As said before, this Pokemon's body patterns reflect pajamas, and the projection heavily mirrors traits from the sleeping body, although augmented, such as the horns and the nose horn. A subtle reference is also that its horns take inspiration from ram horns, as a play on Counting Sheep!
This bilateral design is of course seen already in canon Pokemon such as Dugtrio and Kangaskhan, but a good comparison can be made between this and Spiritomb, since both are one entity which projects the fighting form. Really, its not unheard of in Pokemon!

The stats fit the concept well and actually go good with the stat spread I would have envisioned this with.
The high Attack stat especially works. The dream dragon has notably huge arms that cover up a lot of its frame, with chunky claws that work for both crushing and slashing.
Defense-wise, a lot of magic and ghostly Pokemon show this in the stats by having weak physical defense but solid special defense. There's also the fact that a physical attack has more chance to hit the actual sleeping body, which would be a weak spot.
Not much to say about speed, but unlike the older versions this dream dragon floats off of the ground and as such has good speed just like a lot of other ghosts.

Supporting Material:
1. Outside of Battle and Awake
2. Spirit Shackle

Last edited:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission
MAIN DESIGN

(click image for hi-res version exceeding 500kb)
This is my CAP23 design entry, based on the mythical Qilin.

SUPPORTING MATERIAL
Design Justification
For this CAP, I opted for a base concept that represents Dragon/Ghost at its core, and the Qilin stood out due to its lore of being a spiritual being that's depicted to only reveal itself to the best of men, the kindest rulers and the wisest sages. It's often depicted as a dragon with varying characteristics of an ox, deer, lion or horse along with a scaled body. It is often called the Chinese Unicorn.

I opted for the body type of a horse for this design, since it's a flexible body type that could represent most kinds of stat spreads, basing on existing mons like Rapidash, Zebstrika, Keldeo and Mudsdale. The Qilin's wisp-like fur and skull mask exude the ghost vibe while the dragon whiskers and the segmented underbelly and tail give a reptilian/draconic feel.

Spirit Shackle, the cornerstone of CAP23's trapper concept, is performed by Decidueye as a projectile using its makeshift bow and arrow. The Qilin, on the other hand, utilizes its scales protruding from its mane as projectiles.
Abilities and Stats
Horses are some of the select few animals that can sleep while standing up. This enables them to react very quickly to threats and/or potential predators. Comatose here is depicted as such and is a very plausible justification.
84 HP / 133 Atk / 71 Def / 51 SpA / 111 SpD / 101 Spe
Like I said on the earlier paragraph, a horse-like body type is very flexible in terms of stats, and it holds true in CAP23's spread as well.

Looking at the Low-Def-High-SpDef-Club members like Gallade, Florges, Gardevoir, Virizion and Nihilego, they share the trait of being sleek while having sizable protrusions complementing their silhouette. I went with this same approach; the sleek proportions of a horse with its mane and wispy fur gives that low-def feel while not looking fragile either. As a bonus, the high speed stat fits perfectly with the body type too.

The high Atk stat is justified by the design's overall sharp appearance, mainly attributing to the scaled mane, horns, and clawed hooves.
Supporting Art
(warning: some image links exceed 500kb)
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

(1) Preliminary Sketches, (2-3) Alternate Head Poses, (4-6) Preliminary Color Schemes, (7)Relative Scale (8)Devastating Drake

CLOSING REMARKS
It was sorta wacky when Comatose happened and even had mild drama. Like with the satyr from last CAP I didn't make too much modifications compared to the 1st sketch of this design, partially because of the stats which fits it very nicely.

I actually asked around in Showdown and Discord if the wisp design would deter spriters, and they slightly agreed, albeit there are precursors like Mega Gengar, Lunala and Malamar having fade effects translated into sprite form with varying levels of difficulty. Personally I have mixed feelings about the fade effects, but I went with it in the end.

Good luck to everyone~!

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Final Submission - Collaboration Not Allowed

I took over this design idea from Agito, since he chose to withdraw his submission a few weeks ago and I thought it fit the chosen typing, ability and stats rather well. It's a young dragon that's perpetually trapped in a nightmare state, indicated by the shadow's resemblance to Darkrai. The small wisps above the dragon's face were added to create the image of a face and and therefore establish the shadow as the controlling entity.

With the ability to levitate and its giant nightmare claws, I feel like the design it is reasonably well suited for a stat distribution with high attack and speed. The shadow's vague shape and ability to shapeshift also lend themselves towards a wide range of physical moves, including spirit shackle. I'll be adding some complementary art later today to help illustrate this and define the design in 3 dimensions.

Cretacerus-20.09.2017
The concept is too good to be left out(bearbeitet)
Maybe I could submit a similar design?

Agito-20.09.2017
all yours
you could improve on it too
since it had nothing about trapping into it
my idea was making a baby druddiggon looking poke sorrounded by a shadow

Last edited by a moderator:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Oh shit comment time you know the drill

Pipotchi : The execution of the Ouroborus concept here is excellent, and while a few others in the thread have in the past done ouros, this is probably my favorite. I do feel, however, that the color scheme is looking too dark with no present contrast to go with the overall dark tones of the grey and purple. Other dark-colored ghost types like Banette have for example some yellow to keep them from being purely dark colors. I also question about the maw, which while from the looks of it looks disjointed from the rest of the body, feels off and also probably not big enough.

Garbagery : Good stuff my man and neat approach to Comatose, although I feel like the perspective on the lock tail is still weird and doesn't present it well. The tips of the back spikes end up making me think of some sort of gooey dessert more than anything. The metal things extending from the sides of the area where the chain tail meets the body is also weird and I still don't understand their purpose.

Wyverii : Jack-in-the-Box was a cool entry for Kitsunoh, so seeing it again is pretty neat. To be honest I prefer the more muted reds of the original, and tbh the flame feels rather tacked on, but I do like the way its got a sort of fluffy almost feathered look in some places. The box does contrast a lot in the bad way I feel, with its distracting saturated colors.

Sgt.Moose : Spooky! Its got the ghost typing nailed down and the smile on it is great. While unorthadox looking, I do like the almost bird like feet and the colors are nice. Comparisons to Voodoom are expected from a lot of people, but personally I enjoy it miles over Voodoom. Nice job!

Darklatias92 : Not much to say. Its a very original concept for sure, but the mono-purple color scheme on the dragon really detracts it, since its just purple on purple with no contrast or interesting color combinations. Also making the statue worn out would indeed be good!

YourFavDalmatian : The color scheme is nice, but tbh making all the bones pretend camouflage just puts it on some sort of grey area where its just one of the plainer looking dinosaurs and its with some goth bone stuff, and that doesn't really scream Ghost much imo. Perhaps revisit your options?

Felis Licht : KYUT! Very nice idea, and I like the building stuff on it. I do feel like the transparency isn't needed though, and sadly since its based on a wall it doesn't match the stats well, especially the high attack and speed.

Last edited:
DQ - Final Submission

changes:
Added wings because it look like it can't move before
Added a tail so it can learn more moves
removed skull because it looked awkward
as for bait let's just say it smells really nice in there :P

Last edited:
WIP

Feedback greatly appreciated since I'm scramblin' right now, I've had this document open long enough that the eyes and body transparency look wrong to me but nothing I try helps enough. Good luck to everyone submitting, everything looks incredible!

Final Submission

I present to you my Final Submission for CAP 23. Brontocorpsus, as I have affectionately termed it, has reached its last and (hopefully) best incarnation.

The idea behind Brontocorpsus started out pretty simply: what encompasses a Ghost/Dragon typing better than a skeletal dinosaur? But what made the idea really come together for me was the theme of this CAP -- trapping moves -- and the chosen ability, Comatose. As can be seen in my art, which is roughly the pose I'd suggest for spriters, Brontocorpsus does its hunting lying down -- comatose so to speak. Silent and motionless, it plays dead, its exposed bones and dark visage only contributing to the illusion that it is a harmless body. But when hopeful scavengers come along to grab a bite, Brontocorpsus springs to life, and the would-be scavenger becomes prey.

I've submitted many CAP designs over my years on Smogon, but this might be my favorite, simply because it seems to embody not only the typing but the spirit of the concept so well. Brontocorpsus does not just use trapping moves: it is itself a trap.

I wish good luck to all the other excellent contributors! Looking forward to seeing CAP 23 in battle sometime soon.

WIP

Phew, been a while since I've been back on this thread. Lots of amazing new submissions. Wish I had time to review them but I'll just say that we've all got some stiff competition here. Well anyway since Comatose won in the Abilities poll, I went back to the Cthulhu design as opposed to the Dragon Graveyard design.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh CAP23 Sinnoh wgah'nagl fhtagn
In his house at Sinnoh, Comatose CAP23 waits dreaming.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: Sinnoh totally fits better, thanks Granny Pie lol. I would say "Distortion World" but it's a little too wordy.

Last edited:
WIP
It looks really good only thing that I'd suggest is that maybe you should remove that red bead/orb on it's head as it makes it look a lot more like a psychic type. Another thing that I would suggest is that you experiment with a few more colours I like the ones you have so far but I'd love to see what a more "ghostly" array of colours would looks like i.e purple/white.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
WIP

Phew, been a while since I've been back on this thread. Lots of amazing new submissions. Wish I had time to review them but I'll just say that we've all got some stiff competition here. Well anyway since Comatose won in the Abilities poll, I went back to the Cthulhu design as opposed to the Dragon Graveyard design.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh CAP23 Sinnoh wgah'nagl fhtagn
In his house at Sinnoh, Comatose CAP23 waits dreaming.

EDIT: Sinnoh totally fits better, thanks Granny Pie lol. I would say "Distortion World" but it's a little too wordy.
Despite being Cthulhu, I think a more muted purple would be breed suited for the body

DQ - Final Submission

Eyes opened version~

Edits made: changed main body color from purple to white, removed transparency in body but kept it in the whiskers and removed green outer glow, and added an extra point to the roof back to illustrate a split at the end.

I unfortunately have some things coming up soon so I couldn't finish my supporting art ;o;

My take on the Dragon/Ghost typing is a nurikabe, a type of Japanese spirit that manifests as a wall to block and misdirect travelers at night. While most depictions are of a solid wall, there is an alternative depiction of the nurikabe being more beastly, which is what mine is designed after. Its sort of dog-like appearance is similar to the beastly depiction and I also modeled him after The Neverending Story dragon, Falkor (who despite looking like a dragon also looks similar to a dog). To give it the ghost typing vibe I not only gave my design a ghostly tail and body but also an unnerving look if it were to open its eyes (which is also modeled after this creature from the anime Inuyasha).

Spirit Shackle, when used by Decidueye, is shown as a projectile that stitches a shadow to the ground. When used by Wall Doggo, all he has to do is extend himself over their shadow and pin it down himself to prevent escape.

To justify the stats (84 HP / 133 Atk / 71 Def / 51 SpA / 111 SpD / 101 Spe), Wall Doggo's defense being lower works well with their origin as the nurikabe could only be removed from one's path if one were to simply knock on the bottom of the wall, and their speed is pretty much how fast it can extend itself endlessly to trap others without moving too much.

Wall Doggo comes and goes at will, randomly sleeping upon the path some unlucky travelers wish to pass, extending its body endlessly to the sides and above to prevent them from passing and effectively trap them. Comatose fits nicely for a large, ghostly wall dragon like Wall Doggo as (in my experience and most likely everyone else's) most animals like to block your path by sleeping in front of it =P While they might get up to go elsewhere, you'd be more likely to encounter them asleep. How do they know when to block someone's path? Perhaps the eye-like gem on his head has those answers...

thebangzats really solid piece that fits all the themes CAP 23 wants to cram into a pokemon

besides the forehead gem and maybe the spooky eyeball flames being a bit extra, the only nitpick I have is the build looks too bulky for the slightly above-average 101 speed. Not saying you should make any massive changes to the design or anything, but maybe less of a hunched position could add some speed to the overall piece.

Replies to other fave designs because why not

thebangzats H̬̥̤̃ͨ̓̍ͅͅE̱̼̜̺̘͆͗̑̾͋ ̢̮̰͂ͩ̋͑̐̈̑Č̴͉̹͎͇ͤ̒̍ͮ͂͗ͅỎ̐̈́M̅͑ͯͪͦ̈́҉̗E͎ͥ̇͋S̘̳̗̬̟ͪ̌
Great design all in all, though honestly I think a pair of draconic horns on his head - or maybe ridged tentacles suggesting horns - would help drive the point home that this is a Dragon-type. And I'd also make the shades of green more dull and grayish with some pale purple accents along the body, maybe a purple underside. Right now your color scheme and facial features don't really scream "Dragon-type" to me, though the dragon wings and reptile tail are a step in the right direction.

Felis Licht Sleepy Wall Doggo is best doggo. I especially like how the gem on the forehead denotes a third eye, as though it's still watching out for danger even while asleep.

Pipotchi This one has to be my favorite of the entries so far. An occult symbol makes so much sense for a Ghost/Dragon type, and I can also see it using trapping moves by wrapping itself around the foe like my Dragon Rug design does. As 11bug said, the arms gripping the tail tip add so much personality, as though the tail is a sort of security blanket.

Magistrum Yours is another favorite of mine, and though I had a hard time seeing the Comatose aspect, I totally forgot about horses being able to sleep while standing, and now I'm sold on it! This design looks otherworldly in both a mystical and paranormal way, the kind of thing you could see as a distant mirage in a foggy abandoned town somewhere in the Orient. I have a feeling this one's gonna go really far in the polls, it's just so good.

Garbagery As previously noted, I can imagine this thing hanging from a ceiling and then dropping down on prey to pin it underneath, or swinging like a pendulum to attack, but your described use of the chain itself works fine, too. A solid entry with a simple but effective design.

Cretacerus help him :C I like how the shadow entity seems to control the smaller body like a puppet, and yet without it the shadow cannot survive it seems. It's a grisly form of mutualism that reminds me of Parasect and it's sad and cringe-inducing and creative all at once. I think the shadow entity could stand to be darker in color, though, to make the distinction between it and the poor little dragon body it's controlling more clear.

Reigaheres Adorable, badass, and well-designed! My favorite thing has to be how the big dream entity seems to be looking back around at his little sleepy creator, as though watching over the lil' guy. He's like a big guardian angel dragon of sorts, and I love him for it. Best of luck with the polls, and big whoops (and d'awwwwws) all around!

WIP

No. 3, sorry for the spam but this is what I've settled on as my Final Submission unless I get feedback on whether this looks better or not, or, I get manic enough and go in on trying to figure out how to shade this dude even though I absolutely do not have the time for that.

These submissions are way too good guys, I can only spend a half hour struggling to provide feedback before deleting it so many times

EDIT:

Trox Do you mean with just the lineart or something more like this or this?
The idea I wanted to build my submission around was a legendary prehistoric dragon in the pokemon world that was battle-worn enough that its spirit carried over the weapons that were used to slay it for its own use. I had considered just using the general shape of those kinds of objects, but I figured it'd be more clear and maybe add more attack options/make it a more competent physical attacker to have the items themselves embedded in its body so it could use them by manipulating the makeup of its body around them. (Thank you for the help!)

Last edited:
FriesforNapkins To be honest, I think the design would look better without the arrow and the weigth.
Can you provide some justification why you chose to add them?
Apart from that I want to say that your design is great and in my eyes definitely able to compete with the others =)

FINAL SUBMISSION

Ok so I know you aren't supposed to delete then repost these but when i deleted my initial illegal post i didn't plan on doing another i worked hard on this so I'd really appreciate if an exception were to be made to make this one official i've edited it and checked with mods who have said the image itself is fine now.

It cap trap mons by latching on with claws or fangs and by wrapping around them. In terms of being asleep think of it like a worm just doing its thing subconsciously doesn't even have eyes which is technically even better than having them closed, reptilian/serpent-like appearance matches the dragon typing and the purple wispy stuff, floatyness and ghostly demeanor matches the ghost typing, sleek body suits the speed stat, claws/fangs and lack of features for ranged attacks match high attack and low attack special, neither small nor particularly bulky build supports hp and more soft appearing body with magical features works with lower defense higher special defense

Final Submission

There's not much to it, reptilian = dragon and wispy hair + skeletal features ='d ghost in my mind. I'd thought about something that entraps other mon's in hair/tendrils of some kind and this is what came out. It originally looked a lot more wiry and active, which didn't really fit Comatose, which is where the goofy 'haircut'/laid back stoner metalhead vibe came from.

I feel like the imposing forearms, teeth and veil of ghost-hair/spirit-flame-whatever on the design accurately portray CAPs prominent Attack and SpDef stats, whereas the frailty of the lower body and general anatomy are indicative of it's Speed and less than impressive physical bulk.

and some supporting material

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Secondary Ability Poll has just wrapped up! This means that artists will have at least 24 hours from this post to finalize their designs. I am willing to extend the duration to 48 hours, if any artists need more time. If so, please post either in this thread or PM me here or on Discord to make a request for an extension.

Edit: 48 hours granted!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)